Start by marking “When Mary Met the Colonel: A Pride and Prejudice Novella” as Want to Read:
When Mary Met the Colonel: A Pride and Prejudice Novella

When Mary Met the Colonel: A Pride and Prejudice Novella

Without the beauty and wit of the older Bennet sisters or the liveliness of the younger, Mary is the Bennet sister most often overlooked. She has resigned herself to a life of loneliness, alleviated only by music and the occasional book of military history.

Colonel Fitzwilliam finds himself envying his friends who are marrying wonderful women while he only attracts
Published February 8th 2016 by Victoria Kincaid

To ask other readers questions about When Mary Met the Colonel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Mary Met the Colonel

Start your review of When Mary Met the Colonel: A Pride and Prejudice Novella
Debbie
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely lovely sequel to Pride and Prejudice centering on the characters of Mary Bennet and Colonel Richard Fitzwilliam. The writing is excellent, as I've come to expect from Ms. Kincaid. The novella-length story is sweet and believable. It is, above all, a study of two people who are not exactly as they appear.

We all know the Mary as presented by Jane Austen. She's the forgotten Bennet sister, the plain one, the dull one, the one who quotes from Fordyce Sermons, the one who puts
J. W. Garrett
Misunderstood becomes understood:

This is a short novella that can be read in one sitting, or two if you have to eat or sleep. It is the story of how Mary, the middle misunderstood Bennet daughter, has an interesting and delightful encounter with Colonel Fitzwilliam at the wedding of her two sisters.

Mary has a unique placement in her family of five daughters. Her two older sisters are in possession of beauty and wit and her two younger sisters are known for their vivacious and lively
Erika
I love a good Mary Bennet romance!!!

There are several points in which I can sympathize with Mary...I too am a middle child, though am sandwiched between two brothers; growing up I was the quiet, shy one, the one that was always over-looked; and the one girl in a group of girls who doesn't have a guy fawning over her. So when a book comes along and has an amazing guy taking interest in Mary, I sit up and take notice. I think she is just misunderstood and ignored with so much potential if someone
Cyndi
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the end of Pride and Prejudice Col. Fitzwilliam is just about the last single man in search of a wife. So, naturally there are lots of adaptions matching him to this girl or that. But this is the first one I've read matching him with Mary.
Of course since she is the bookish sister I always thought she deserved a great love story so I was glad to read this one.
It's a cute little novella and a quick, entertaining lunchtime retreat into Jane Austen's world
Anji
WHEN MARY MET THE COLONEL

The story starts at the wedding breakfast of Darcy and Elizabeth. As the title suggests, it's centred around and after the first meeting of Mary Bennet and Colonel Fitzwilliam.

This is a funny and tender story about the relationship between the eponymous hero and heroine. The way Victoria Kincaid describes the Colonel's reaction to Kitty Bennet's and Maria Lucas' chasing of any man in a red coat should definitely bring a smile to anyone's face.

Following the wedding, it
Sophia
I was thrilled to win a copy of this delightful, sweet novella written by an author I have been meaning to try for some time. It is always a source of enjoyment when I come across a Pride & Prejudice sequel that tells the story of some of my favorite secondary characters. Bonus when I get two.

The story develops quickly because it's novella length, but its not hard to imagine since a lover of P&P is already familiar with the circumstances, setting, and characters leading into this sequel
Maria
The third Bennet sister is not as lively nor beautiful as the others. Nobody really pays attention to what she says or does, but one man will treat her differently and will show her what falling in love really means. Join Mary in this emotional journey towards love, beautifully penned by Victoria Kincaid.

Absolutely delightful! I had never read a story about Mary Bennet and I am glad that I picked this one up. Ms. Kincaid did a wonderful job at depicting a lovely, amiable and realistic heroine.
Rita Deodato
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing

When Mary Met the Colonel is the perfect novella to read between some Darcy and Elizabeth centered books. It is romantic, interesting and loving. The characters are different from the ones we are used to of course, but their love doesn’t pale in comparison, it is as strong as the one we usually see in Darcy and Elizabeth.

Victoria Kincaid created the perfect love story for Mary Bennett and showed us that maybe she is not at all what we think she is. We know
Ceri
This review was first posted on 'Babblings of a Bookworm': http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

Many years ago, when I first read 'Pride & Prejudice' I really identified with Elizabeth. Although she is more outgoing than me, I felt a kinship with her due to her sense of humour and philosophical attitude, as well as her hasty temper, but like many introverted bookworm types, I also have some level of kinship with Mary. She is definitely an interesting secondary character, and one who has
Talia
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I like Mary Bennett stories and Col Fitzwilliam stories as well so this was a winner from the start. I liked the book but as usual with a short book, it left me wanting more. I don't mind waiting the extra time it takes to flush out a good story to its full potential. It is worth doing. Good read but disappointing, too. Could have been great.
Kristin Davison
June 2016:
This is a cute and quick read, I managed to read this twice in one day. It was well written with laugh out loud moments. I loved all of the references to military tactics, the author has researched the subject before writing this novella.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
An Unexpected Encounter Blossoms Into a Beautiful Relationship

Even though she has a sober disposition, a penchant for sermonizing, and can be a little vain about her accomplishments, I have always had a soft spot for Mary Bennet. Maybe it is because I feel sympathy for her loneliness and her family’s neglect. Or maybe it is because like Mary, I am fond of reading and playing the piano. Or maybe it is because I love it when an unlikely and unexpected heroine finds her happiness! For all these
Tina
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the most overlooked of the Bennet sisters, Mary. In this novella the Colonel just happens to meet Mary while she is in Longbourn's garden during Elizabeth's wedding to Darcy. They have a lively conversation about the war and hey they both start to like each other. But the Colonel knows he has to marry an heiress and decides to leave Mary alone. But after he returns home from the war injured she joins the Darcy's at Woodley Park where he is recuperating and their feelings ...more
Dung
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen-inspried
I enjoyed this novella. There were parts were it felt rushed, especially the second half. Would of loved more page time to develop some of the plots.

In addition, there we’re instances that were pushing boundaries for that time period.
Madenna U
This story is a Pride and Prejudice continuation featuring a romance between Mary and Colonel Fitzwilliam. He is tired of vapid, clawing women like Kitty, who chase after red coats or sons of earls. At Elizabeth and Darcy's wedding breakfast, he finds Mary in the garden and an initial intelligent and thoughtful discussion opens his eyes. This overlooked Bennet sister is hiding some secrets regarding her interests and also a rather large chip on her shoulder. From that vantage point they each ...more
Kasia Burlakoff
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july-2017
I loved this short story about Mary and colonel Fitzwilliam, they are one of my favorite pairings. There is more to Mary than meets the eye, I laughed at the reason behind her love for Fordyce Sermons. There was some angst due to their knowledge of not having any prospects together, and the colonel's battle injury. But everything got resolved to my satisfaction. I enjoyed Lizzy and Darcy figuring out their attachment and lending a helpful hand.
Carole (in Canada)
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JAFF, Romance
My Rating: 3.5*
This was a sweet novella that provides a glimpse into the hearts of Mary Bennet and Colonel Fitzwilliam. I do enjoy stories about secondary characters from Pride & Prejudice that expand on them. There is so much room for growth with Mary Bennet, and the delightful Colonel is the impetus for this change. The Colonel has Mary make a promise to him: "You should be proud of yourself! Show others the best of yourself!"

My only quibble is the role Kitty Bennet and Maria Lucas play at
Susan
Another re-read for me - one of the few books that I have the kindle and the paperback copy of - In this Pride and Prejudice sequel, at the wedding of Darcy and Elizabeth, the Colonel escaping from the attentions of Kitty and Maria Lucas, rushes into the Longbourn garden. There he finds in a sheltered spot Mary Bennet. Has the Colonel finally found an intelligent lady, has Mary found some one who appreciates her.
Loved this tale. The only thing I didn't like was that it was much too short. For me
Mira Magdo
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How marvelous it was to read in Victoria Kincaid's newest novel, When Mary Met the Colonel, that all these years, over 200, Mary Bennet had been a misunderstood character. It is great to read a version like this, because telling the truth it would be disappointing to learn that -you see in many variations- she is married to a clergyman who is just as boring as she was.
You need to read it to find out the twist, but I promise you will love it. The plot is well done and the angst is tastefully
Eliza Baum
This was cute and rather fluffy. I'm not sure what I was expecting, given the length, but I do wish there had been space to let the courtship develop slower. The bits that we get to witness are very nice but just too few. It would have been far more satisfying if they'd fought through more obstacles. I do like the idea of Mary with Colonel Fitzwilliam, though, and I'm a sucker for (view spoiler) More like 3.5 stars, but worth the rounding ...more
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
An all-around nice read.
Ann Smith
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Having just read an appalling variation, I had to revisit this charming little story to soothe my tattered sensibilities. When I came to the end I realised I have never reviewed it, which is odd because it is a great favourite of mine, one of only a handful within the genre that I have read several times and one of the very few I enjoyed enough to purchase. It is very gentle,
with no angst and quite a lot of humour. The title is self-explanatory, so there is no real need to outline the
Susan
In this Pride and Prejudice sequel at the wedding of Darcy and Elizabeth, the Colonel escaping from the attentions of Kitty and Maria Lucas, rushes into the Longbourn garden. There he finds in a sheltered spot Mary Bennet. Has the Colonel finally found an intelligent lady, has Mary found some one who appreciates her.
Loved this tale. The only thing I didn't like was that it was much too short.
Kara
imply a cute little re-imagining of Mary Bennet's story (from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen). Short but sweet! And it made me smile, which is all I can ask.
Emily Rose
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mary is kind of extremely out of character in this. Rather than taking the Mary that Austen gives us and showing us how she is worthy of love as she is, the author has taken her character and recreated it, rejecting Mary just as she was rejected in the book. Rather than loving Mary’s unique talents and confronting her issues, the author has blotted out her personality in favor of another. For example, rather than having her enjoy her book of sermon and history books, she says she hides her ...more
Cathy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It always bothered me that Mary was never really fleshed out to be more than a boring, bookish know-it-all. I always thot she should get her own story...that her story included the Colonel was just an added bonus. As novellas tend to do, this one is fast paced and ends abruptly enough but I felt it gave her a good run and used her strengths to develop a fun character yet still stayed true to Austen's work.
Colleen
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a breeze to read. Sadly, rather short. The story is well-developed, giving Mary some much needed page time, but there could be so much more to the story. Instead of ending so abruptly, albeit happily, the story could continue into Mary and even some of Lizzie and Darcy's future. Simple and enjoyable, just like Mary.
James S
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A HEA, but not for Lizzy

Because she is already married...to Darcy :)

This is Mary’s story. This a great Mary. She is bookish but in a great way. The Colonel is hurt and Mary has a tender for him. So while is healing she buys him some books. Some me iCal books so she can help him. What a great way for the author to show love.

I recommend this book.
Sharah McConville
'When Mary Met The Colonel' is a sequel to Pride and Prejudice about Mary, one of the Bennet sisters. This quick, entertaining novella was an enjoyable read. Many thanks to Victoria Kincaid for my copy.

• A Baby for Mr. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • A Reason to Hope: A Pride & Prejudice Novella
  • A Lady's Reputation
  • Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Forgiving Season: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Nefarious: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy, Poet: A Pride & Prejudice Variation (Dimensions of Darcy Book 2)
  • The Letter of the Law: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Hypothetically Married: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Letters from the Heart
  • Wild Goose Chase: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • To Conquer Pride: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Victoria has a Ph.D. in English literature and has taught composition to unwilling college students. Today she teaches business writing to willing office professionals and tries to give voice to the demanding cast of characters in her head.

She lives in Virginia with an overly affectionate cat, two children who are learning how much fun Austen’s characters can be, and a husband who fortunately is