Start by marking “The New Gold Standard: 5 Leadership Principles for Creating a Legendary Customer Experience Courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company” as Want to Read:

Discover the secrets of world-class leadership!

When it comes to refined service and exquisite hospitality, one name stands high above the rest: The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. With ceaseless attention to every luxurious detail, the company has set the bar for creating memorable customer experiences in world-class settings. Now, for the first time, the leadership secrets be
Published July 4th 2008 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Gold Standard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Gold Standard

Start your review of The New Gold Standard: 5 Leadership Principles for Creating a Legendary Customer Experience Courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company
Natalie
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Inspiring stories of great service. Loved most of the anecdotes.
Jay
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, business
Another excellent case study and analysis by Dr. Michelli of a high-service company. Here, the author documents the Ritz Carlton hotel chain. While listening to the audiobook, I did not remember the “5 leadership principles” mentioned in the title, but when I reviewed them on the Amazon “look inside” peek at the book’s contents, I can see why I didn’t remember them – they are pretty obvious. The 5 principles are define and refine, empower through trust, it’s not about you, deliver wow, and leave ...more
John
Mar 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Though I am not naturally inclined to read business books, I found that this one to be accessable and to flow well throughout the book. While most business books I have read spend too much time talking about mission statements and vision statements and other corp-speak that sounds good on paper, but rarely makes it into practice, this book showed how the ladies and gentlemen of Ritz Carlton make it happen on a day to day basis.

The real difference for that
Anthony
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hospitality
I work in hospitality industry and had a chance to talk to people from Ritz Carlton, including one General Manager.

After reading this book, as well as book by Bill Marriott I fell in love with the business. It is such a well-organized system.

I would like to point out several ideas:
The importance of listening
Continuous improvement- borrow ideas from other industries
The role of a leader is to support. Treat employees as you treat guests, if not better
Create a clear mission statement and credo. Co
E
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
An inside look at the Ritz-Carlton

Even if you’ve never stayed at a luxurious Ritz-Carlton hotel, you are likely to know of the hospitality chain’s sterling reputation. Few companies enjoy such powerful brand recognition; after all, the word “ritzy” has become part of the English vocabulary. Incredibly, no one ever wrote a corporate biography about The Ritz-Carlton, and its secrets of success and service, until Joseph A. Michelli took on this project. He details the five principles Ritz-Carlton e
Tommy Kiedis
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Joseph A. Michelli provides the principles and practices that drive the exceptional customer service of the Ritz-Carlton brand.

Why I gave this book five stars: Michelli provides the behind-the-scenes look including the good and the bad of Ritz-Carlton. Principles are clear. Illustrations abound. Penetrating questions are asked. If one wants to enhance "customer experience" The New Gold Standards provides exceptional practical help without being overly prescriptive.
Rhonda Sue
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good information on how to run a quality centered organization or excellence. I recently stayed at a Ritz Carlton and recall many of the employees saying "my pleasure." I enjoyed reading about how the Ritz fosters a culture of excellent customer service throughout their international hotels from bottom up. I hope to bring some of this knowledge to the organizations I"m involved with.
Michael
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The New Gold Standard is one of the best books I’ve read on management and customer service. While distilling an incredible amount of great information, it also ignites your mind to create new, exciting ideas for your own circumstances.

This book is a wonderful tool and inspiration for anyone looking to achieve a higher level of leadership and customer satisfaction.
Rafik Farouk
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leaders and CEO that has a vision to lead at a very high standard must learn a few lessons from this excellent true story.
Cameron
Sep 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This was okay. There's a few good points in here, but if anyone wants to read it, I would recommend just skimming and reading only the sidebars. But ignore the biographical ones, just look for the ones with resources in them. Reading crappy books has put me in a foul mood.
Miro Nguyen
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A detailed glance into the Ritz-Carlton world that can also be transformed into other business so that all can offer and be offered top-notch care and customer service. The world is truly a better place with Ritz-Carlton.
Keisha Kennedy
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are lots of great tid bits to be gathered from this book that I think if followed could help a company go from good to great! I'm very excited to implement some of the new gold standard into my business and for my employees!
JENNIFER
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Worth the read if you are in a client-facing enterprise and wish to set a standard for your client's experience. It was a little repetitive, as if the author was trying to cram in as many anecdotal survey results as possible.
Jeremy Piehler
This book is good. I was hoping for a more technical read on the Ritz-Carlton business empire. There are moments of brilliance and clarity, but overall I thought that there were too many stories and anecdotes as opposed to principals and systems of thought.
Tracie
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a really great book about an impressive company with an impressive customer service strategy. Highly recommend.
Jim
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
It's good, same message as other books of the genre.
John
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Although I do like this book, I've had to return the copy I was borrowing and haven't had time to look for it at the library. Hope to finish it in the near future.
Vincent Darlage
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Good book on how to run an exemplary company. Good leadership principles. I liked that it also gave examples of where the company fell flat on its face.
Gretchen
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent lessons in training, management & culture for customer service environments. Easy read. My paper copy is marked up like crazy! ...more
MaryAnn
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting book on how Ritz maintains its incredible service.
Ron Mcintyre
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Great insight but application to other industries is tough.
Des
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to read to understand how to provide a better customer experience and become a more effective manager.
Laurent
Dec 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
didn't like the book, too much name dropping
Jonathan Larssen
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
There were a few thing I picked up but sadly it read like a 300 page promotional pamphlet.
Samantha
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
A few good business tips - but mostly an extended ad for how great Ritz Carlton is, and how you should spend the big bucks to attend their Leadership Center for your business.
Leah Hortin
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Good ideas, good culture, got a little repetitive.
Eric Boyle
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A must read for any hospitality professional, and even if you are in a customer service centric busienss .
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! If you have customer or guest satisfaction as a goal in your career, this book will get you fired up and wanting to achieve a new level of excellent care for your guests! A+
Daniel Thomas
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The New Gold Standard is an excellent book. The principles outlined in this book are very transferable to businesses, NGO's & churches. ...more
Brandon Key
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read all but last few pages of 4 chapter and chapter 5. Examples drone on and on. Book could've been much shorter. Great advice, but muddled in too many examples

• Winning
  • Blue Ocean Shift: Beyond Competing - Proven Steps to Inspire Confidence and Seize New Growth
  • The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace: Empowering Organizations by Encouraging People
  • Be Our Guest: Perfecting the Art of Customer Service
  • The Art of Selling to the Affluent: How to Attract, Service, and Retain Wealthy Customers & Clients for Life
  • Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality
  • Honolulu
  • Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • Urban Dictionary: Freshest Street Slang Defined
  • The Way I Heard It
  • Creating Magic
  • Shut Up and Listen!: Hard Business Truths that Will Help You Succeed
Joseph Michelli is an American psychologist, speaker, and author. He started his career as a psychologist in 1988 and began writing business books in 2004.

News & Interviews

“Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award evaluation process,” 0 likes
“Horst Schulze, cofounder and past president of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, shares the origin of the Motto: “I started in the hotel business when I was 14 years old as a busboy. When my mother took me to the hotel to work for the first time, she said, ’We could never go to this hotel. This is only for important people. For important, fine people. So you’re lucky. Behave yourself. Wash your hands.’ She was a typical mother. I went to the hotel and the general manager talked to my mother and me for 15 minutes and told us we could never be like the guests who came to his hotel. ’So don’t ever get jealous. This is for Ladies and Gentlemen—very important people.’ “By the time I started working in the restaurant, I knew the guests were very important. But a few months later I realized that the maître d’ I watched every day was just as important because every guest was proud when he talked to them. Why? Because he was a first-class professional. He was somebody special—because of the excellence he created for the guests. So when I went to hotel school about a year and a half later, the teacher asked me to write a story describing what I felt about the business. And I wrote about the maître d’ at my hotel. I titled it, ’Ladies and Gentlemen Serving Ladies and Gentlemen.’ I wrote we could be excellent like he was. . .absolute excellence. When you walked into a room, you knew he was there. In any moment all of us who serve can be Ladies and Gentlemen, just like the guests. I think it’s a powerful thing that shouldn’t be missed by the wonderful people in this industry. They should understand that.” 0 likes