Start by marking “Fatal Odds (Knight and Devlin, #5)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Odds (Knight and Devlin, #5)

Fatal Odds

(Knight and Devlin #5)

Danger escalates as Michael Knight and Lex Devlin enter into the defense of a Puerto Rican jockey charged with felony murder as a result of a fixed race at Bostons Suffolk Downs.

As their investigation exposes the jockeys role, they become embroiled in a conflict between two Puerto Rican crime gangs. One of these gangs is aligned for the first time with Bostons Italian

Published August 2nd 2016 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Odds

Start your review of Fatal Odds (Knight and Devlin, #5)
MaryEllen
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book will grab you from the first page and not let you go. It is hard to put down. When it does come to an end, the premise of the story will stick with you. You will be inspired to tell others about what has become one of the most profitable crimes for organized crime syndicates all over the world, that is the poaching of endangered wild species, the illegal wild animal trade. The mystery story is fictional and includes all the characters we have learned to love through Dobbyn's previous ...more
Lis Carey
Michael Knight is a successful, young, Boston lawyer, the younger partner in Devlin & Knight. Michael doesn't always play it safe, and that adds to the stress of senior partner Lex Devlin, secretary Julie, and fiancée Terri.

Michael Knight looks like a nice Boston Irish boy, but his mother is Puerto Rican, and he speaks Spanish, enjoys Puerto Rican cuisine, and, most importantly for this story, has two cousins, brothers Victor and Roberto Mendoza, who are now jockeys at Boston's thoroughbred
Marna
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I finished this book the first time, I had to write to the author and tell him how grateful I was that he'd written it.... the whole series, in fact. Michael McKnight is a hero you just love to love. He's almost archetypal in his hard-wired goodness, his courage and his honesty. Very refreshing, honestly. Like the heroes of old, he proves himself when the going gets tough--nail-bitingly so. A true page-turner, this book (and the series) has oft kept me up long past my bedtime.

I also love
June J. McInerney
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
John F. Dobbyn is in my mind, a rock star. The veritable Elvis Presley of mystery and legal thrillers. Just as I sometimes listen all day enraptured to Elvis, I have been known to be totally immersed in and engrossed by one of Johns Devlin and Knight thriller series.

But it wasnt until I met John during the taping of a television interview about my second novel, that I had the unexpected delightful chance to tell him so. During a commercial break, he gave a two-thumbs-up. Fairly swooning, I told
Norma
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
( Format : Audiobook )
"Nobody buys a dead monkey."
A jockey dies when his brother's horse swerves in front of his own during a race. The brother goes on to win but is then disqualified for causing the accident. But was it really an accident or had the race been fixed? The police want to arrest the jockey for causing the fatality during a felony. The brothers, originally from Puerto Rico, had been very close and were Knight's cousins, The defense lawyer believes that something is very wrong and
Beverly Laude
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

Michael Knight is a half Puerto Rican lawyer who seems to have a propensity for getting involved in dangerous situations. His two cousins, Victor and Roberto, are like brothers to Michael. When Roberto is killed during a race, the authorities charge Victor with his murder.

This book started out being a mystery involving horse racing, then quickly switched to the jungles of Brazil. At first, I was confused as to what was going on. As the book progressed, these seemingly unrelated things began to
Julie Howard
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
I enjoyed this book mainly because it was such a different idea for a plot. It was broken up into parts and I did wonder what the Amazon rain forest had to do with horse racing as it seemed like we had stepped back in time but it all came together nicely to make a great story. I know the story is only a work of fiction but it certainly opened my eyes as to what goes on in the world, it's a scary place.
When Michael sees his cousin crash into his brother while racing he had no idea that it would
Joni Janice Mielke
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
You'd be forgiven for thinking that this book is only about horse racing/race-fixing if you judged it by the first couple of chapters alone. In fact, it's about a lot more. Aside from the human/relational aspect, which is fairly portrayed yet not overdone, Fatal Odds stands out from other books of its genre by focussing a great deal of attention on illegal animal trafficking. I liked this aspect of the book, as it served as a counterbalance to the quality of the writing, which, in my opinion, ...more
Rabid Reader
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is a thrilling story that will pull at any animal lovers heart and make you angry at the disregard of authorities where poaching and illegal animal trade is concerned. This story grabs you from the first page and keeps you captive until the last. The narrator of the audiobook really brought the book to life, making you experience all the emotions and suspense in the story. From organized crime, gang warfare, poaching of endangers species, drugs, fixing of horse racing, murder, ...more
Anne Rightler
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Having listened to Fatal Odds and finding out it is a fifth in a series, I realize I have a lot of catching up to do. I loved this thriller. Legal thrillers are one of my favorite genres to read and this one does not disappoint. Lots of edge-of-the-seat, fast-paced action, interesting and disconcerting information regarding race-fixing and drug and exotic animal trafficking help to keep interest high. A hero who hangs in there despite danger and life-threatening situations. I am so looking ...more
Claudia
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fatal accident in a horse's race is the starting point of a story that will lead you to a very unexpected plot. I really enjoyed the complexities of it, the play of the different loyalties going on here, and the highlighting of the horrors of the traffic of exotic animals.

I must say I was kind of surprised when the Amazon rain forest came upfront and wasn't really sure how this subplot would relate with the main one, and yet... it did, in spades.

Well-written, solid plot and great suspense,
Trisha Perry
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michael Knight has to get involved when one cousin is charged with murder for killing his other cousin in the process of a horse race which is unheard of, but this is only the tip of the iceberg and Michael puts himself right in the middle of things he would have never thought.
The action and suspense in this book are huge. This is a great book and if you get the audio narrated by Bill Nevitt than you are in for a treat as he draws you right into Michaels world and you are right there with him,
Rosemary Hughes
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review is submitted after listening to the audiobook for this Title.

Thankfully, in fiction at least, there are a handful of men prepared to stand against the odds, and do something about corruption and evil.
A story that puts your teeth on edge, but, also soothes the soul.
It reminds me a lot of "Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch's series".
I loved the narrator's grasp of languages, which is often in a book like this, but unless you know the language, it's an area a reader skips.
With that
Lindsay
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
AUDIOBOOK REVIEW

Wow! This audiobook is a really powerful story looking at the illegal importing of animals along with drug smuggling and race fixing. This book does not shy away from the horror of what happens to these beautiful animals just because of selfish individuals who put money above everything. The book was fascinating and Bills narration as always was perfect for the subject matter and the story. I loved it.
Jan
From horse racing and Italian organized crime in Boston, to the origins of certain gangs in Puerto Rico, to smuggling endangered animals from the Amazon Rainforest this fast paced thriller grabbed me by the imagination and just wouldn't let go. And it's all driven by a risk taking defense attorney who drives expensive cars. Loved the thrill ride!
Narrator Bill Nevitt is brilliant in both the narrative as well as differentiating the multitude of very diverse characters.

Roger
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fatal Odds (Knight and Devlin, #5), my first read/listen from author John F. Dobbyn. Well-written & enjoyable, I found it very enjoyable. Bill Nevitts excellent narration made the 11-hour 7-minute mystery/suspense pass quickly. I was given an Audible copy of this book & am voluntarily reviewing it. I definitely need to get more by this author & narrator. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018). ...more
Ddkmc95
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book for me in the series, and by this author, and I was pleasantly surprised. How can one lawyer get into so much trouble? LOL. We follow attorney Michael Knight as he tries to find his cousin, who's on the run from the cops, as well as figure out who really murdered his other cousin. Lots of action, Michael's dry wit, and great narration keep you engrossed in the story.
I accepted a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Holly Lenz
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fatal Odds is a cool lawyer thriller and mystery about horse racing, animal smuggling, and gang wars. There is a lot going on in this book and so much that could go wrong for the protagonist. Its a thrilling ride!

The narrator of the audiobook brings the characters and the story to life with his lively telling.

I received a complimentary copy of this audiobook. This is my honest and voluntary review.
Victoria Haugen
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you're an animal lover, like I am, it was a hard read in that regard, but otherwise a nail-biting thriller that I really enjoyed. Great story, great narration, definitely recommended. The book goes into great detail about this industry, and is very enlightening. Job w
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Joan
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a good story full of intrigue. I liked how the author went from race fixing to smuggling endangered species and manages to tie it all together flawlessly.
The narrator also does a brilliant job in telling this story and making all the characters come to life.
Although it is the 5th book in a series, it can be read as a stand alone.
Rhonda
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was not your typical thriller/mystery! The plot was very different and involved horse racing (maybe typical), the mafia (very typical), and international wild animal smuggling (WHAT??) - an industry of which I was basically ignorant. Michael Knight is a wholesome detective that you just can't help but like and the book unfolds with so many quirks and niggles that you're left holding your breath waiting to see what happens next. This book had me listening far into the night, hoping Michael ...more
Bill Nevitt
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of an interesting story, horse racing and exotic animals.
Interesting book with dual plot about "fixed" horse races and the importation of exotic animals. It may seem to be a strange combination, but, it works! Interesting book to narrate and fun to "voice" the various characters. Entertaining 11 hours of listening pleasure!
LDean
Love this series!
Andy Plonka
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: src
The industry of selling exotic animals challenges the drug trade for quick profit. Hopefully increasing awareness of this practice will decrease this crime.
jhanami
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bill Nevitt is one of the US narrators I tend to like so I picked this up with only a cursory glance at the subject matter and I have to say it was a proper little discovery.
It was very easy to join the series with this fifth instalment although I will now have to check out the first four - the plot is a highly interesting and hard hitting mix of animal smuggling, race fixing and gang wars with a good dash of classic action thriller/ courtroom drama. The characters are well drawn and credible.
The Book Voucher
Full review to be found here.

A well-written, solid and intriguing story!

I will definitely come back - or better, I will backtrack and go through the previous installments ASAP - to the Knight and Devlin legal-detective thriller series which now ranks, to me, with Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta and Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan only on the lawyer front instead of that of the medical examiner.

May it be as prolific and successful as them!
Eileen Hall
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An exciting, well written novel set in the horse racing world. It features the Italian mafia, corruption and a Puerto Rican jockey accused of race fixing and murder.
This is the first Knight and Devlin book I've read, but will be on the lookout for others in the series.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Oceanview via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Charles Robinson
FIVE STARS

I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway and this was a first time read for this author for me. I was really really impressed with the story and writing style from the author. This book was an incredible read from the very first page to the amazing ending. Definitely a page turner and a must for me to go back to the previous stories of the Knight and Devlin legal thrillers.
Martha Brindley
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book about horse racing and organised crime gangs. Set in Boston and Puerto Rico .Michael and Lex are defending their client who is charged with murder. Book 4 in the series and worth a read. The plot centres round illicit animal smuggling and I enjoyed the read. Thank you Net Galley for my copy.
Audiobooks: Free Promos For Review 6 26 Jun 17, 2018 05:58AM

• The Samurai Code: A Hiram Kane Adventure (The Hiram Kane Action Adventures Book 2)
  • The Tiger Temple (Hiram Kane Adventure #1)
  • The Blue Moon Caper (Damien Dickens Mysteries #5)
  • Room 119: The Whitby Trader
  • The Chocolate Labradoodle Caper (Damien Dickens Mysteries, #3)
  • Anatomy of a Ponzi: Scams Past and Present
  • Burn The Evidence (Detective Solomon Gray #2)
  • The White Russian Caper: A Damien Dickens Mystery (Damien Dickens Mysteries, #2)
  • THE GREEN PEARL CAPER: A DAMIEN DICKENS MYSTERY (Damien Dickens Mysteries Book 1)
  • Keeping Hope Alive (Whitley & Keal, #4)
  • From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • Ten Tales of a Dark Tomorrow
  • Surgeon’s Choice
  • The Gold Dragon Caper (Damien Dickens Mysteries, #4)
  • Peter Pan [Audible Drama]
  • Bitter Legacy
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
John F. Dobbyn is an American mystery writer and Professor of Law at the Villanova University School of Law. His Devlin and Knight short story "Trumpeter Swan," published in the February 2004 issue of Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, was a finalist for the Shamus Award for Best Short Story from the Private Eye Writers of America. He lives in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania with his wife Lois.

Knight and Devlin (6 books)
  • Neon Dragon (Knight and Devlin, #1)
  • Frame Up (Knight and Devlin, #2)
  • Black Diamond (Knight and Devlin, #3)
  • Deadly Diamonds (Knight and Devlin #4)
  • High Stakes (A Knight and Devlin Thriller Book 6)