Start by marking “Ultimate Knitting Bible: A Complete Reference with Step-by-Step Techniques” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Knitting Bible: A Complete Reference with Step-by-Step Techniques

Ultimate Knitting Bible: A Complete Reference with Step-by-Step Techniques

This is the one-stop resource for both beginning and accomplished stitchers alike! It’s a definitive reference for all aspects of knitting, from the first stitch you cast on to the care and maintenance of your projects. Newcomers can learn every aspect of the art, including how to knit with color, make professional finishings, and adapt patterns. Experts will love its ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Collins Brown

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Knitting Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Knitting Bible

Start your review of Ultimate Knitting Bible: A Complete Reference with Step-by-Step Techniques
Claire
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, comprehensive guide to knitting. It's practical, with straightforward instructions and illustrations to demonstrate techniques. I really wish that I'd found this book as soon as I started learning to knit, because it answered every question I had and many I hadn't yet thought to ask. Would recommend this book to anyone new to knitting or struggling to develop the skill past a certain point.
Debbie Handley
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that has everything you need to know about knitting and then some. It covers things other books don't cover such as how to put in a zipper, different stripe effects, pleats, how to sew or graft pieces of knitting together using various stitch techniques, and lining a jacket.

It is a great book for beginners to like me because it covers everything from casting on to making your first stitch (the knit stich) and on. These are illustrated in nice big stitches so you can
Jo Bennie
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b
This is almost the perfect knitting reference book, everything well illustrated with easy to use diagrams and photographs. The writing style is gentle and direct, never didactic or berating, presenting alternatives in an easy to read style. It covers all the information you need both to get started and for more complicated kitting techniques, including:

equipment
yarns including how to read a wool ball band
a variety of cast ons and offs
knit and purl stitch including variations such as
Sue Klasing
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great reference book, especially pages 13, mixing fibers pg. 21 (also see notes in my own knitting notebook), Picot edge bind off pg. 58, Invisible bind off pg. 59, decorative increases pg. 86, Bobbles pg. 108, Sampler stitches Pgs. 116 - 117, Gathering & Flares pg. 142, Corners pg. 143, Complex intarsia panel made into a small handbag pg. 162, Cords pgs. 192 - 193, Tassels & Pom-poms Pgs 194-195, Collars & Neckbands 220 - 221, Front bands 222-223, Making decorative Buttons pg. 238, ...more
Sasha
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts, nonfiction
This book would be fabulous if the diagrams were more clear. Even looking at the cast on and knitting method that I already use, I found the diagram quite hard to interpret. Still, it has nice big pictures and lots of information. It's very fun to look through and get ideas or possibly some clarification.

I do think that "Knitspeak" is a better "dictionary" for deciphering patterns, but this one can be great for techniques.
Niquole Abram
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, to-buy
Such a good resource! This is great for a new knitter or an experienced knitter they would just like to brush up on some techniques. It explains everything very clearly. Definitely a good one to keep as a reference, I've also noticed there are several other ultimate Bibles for crafting so I may have to pick some of those up as well.
Lil' Grogan
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: handmade
Good run-through of techniques, some surprises. However, I'm interested in something more comprehensive. Mix of photographs and drawings. Not enough photographs of swatches for my liking given the glossy production of the book.
Julie
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful all around reference for knitting. It covers not only the basics, but also some more complex techniques. I think this would be a book that both beginners and experienced knitters would find useful.
Jeanette
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who knits or wants to learn to knit.
Great book! It's my go-to whenever I need to learn a new technique.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2009
Emma Bennet
Jul 16, 2014
Joe
rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2016
Jul 15, 2018
Chloe Liu
May 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
  • The Handknitter's Yarn Guide: A Visual Reference to Yarns and Fibers
  • Medical Marijuana
  • No Sheep for You: Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo & Other Delights
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Knitters Yarn Palette
  • Knit the Sky: Cultivate Your Creativity with a Playful Way of Knitting
  • The Knitter's Book of Knowledge: A Complete Guide to Essential Knitting Techniques
  • Highland Knits: Knitwear Inspired by the Outlander Series
  • Knitting School: A Complete Course
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
  • A Brief History of Neoliberalism
  • The Outrun: A Memoir
  • The Water Cure
  • Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
  • Wise Craft Quilts: A Guide to Turning Beloved Fabrics Into Meaningful Patchwork
  • Before I Step Outside [You Love Me]
  • Murder in the Collective (Pam Nilsen, #1)