Start by marking “The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson Book 2)

The King's Justice

(The Histories of King Kelson #2)

A young liege goes to battle in a medieval land teetering on the brink of civil war and church-sanctioned genocide in the second chronicle of the reign of King Kelson

In troubled Gwynedd, the crown sits heavy on the head of King Kelson Haldane. In a realm historically torn asunder by deep-seated suspicion and fear of the magical Deryni who live among them, young Kelson is
Published March 8th 2016 by Open Road Media Sci-Fi & Fantasy (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Justice

Gary Sundell
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the second trilogy featuring Kelson Haldane. The Meagan uprising continues from the prior book. King Kelson is ready to lead his army to put down thd rebellion. I love the characters. Deryni magic is considered evil by the Church. Former Archbishop Loris has joined the Mearan pretender in the rebellion. I really hate Loris.
There are some really tough scenes in this book. This series should be read in publication order for readers picking it up for the first time. I first read
Kat  Hooper
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

The King’s Justice is the second book in Katherine Kurtz’s THE HISTORIES OF KING KELSON trilogy, which is part of her DERYNI CHRONICLES. It’s the fifth book about young King Kelson. You really ought to read the books in this order: Deryni Rising, Deryni Checkmate, High Deryni, The Bishop’s Heir and THEN this book, The King’s Justice.

Kelson is now 17 years old. In the previous book, The Bishop’s Heir, Kelson
Altivo Overo
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, medieval history fans
This sequel to The Bishop's Heir continues to prove the author's mastery of medieval setting and culture.

The war against the Mearan pretender Caitrin and her supporters, including the renegade and virulently anti-Deryni archbishop Edmund Loris, is detailed masterfully in this volume. Of course we know that Kelson, King of Gwynedd and rightful ruler of Meara and the neighboring border provinces, can and must prevail. How he does this builds a suspenseful tale with complicated events of treason a
Lisa (Harmonybites)
The Deryni books are great sword and sorcery fantasy. What makes them unique is that they're a blend of historical fantasy and high fantasy. What marks a book out as high fantasy is a completely imaginary world with no links to real history--legend maybe, but the ties are tenuous, even when like Tolkien's Middle Earth, Lackey's Valdemir or Pierce's Tortall, they have a pseudo-medieval feel.

This on, the other hand, is Christian Europe--yet not quite. Gwynedd is recognizably Britain--more so than
Sunni
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
From the Inside Flap: Young Kelson Haldane, King of Gwynedd, heir to both royal and Deryni magical powers, was still no match for ex-Archbishop Loris and the Pretender Queen Caitrin who sought his death. Yet, he raised an army against them both, knowing that honor made defeat impossible.... (This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.)

I have read all of the Deryni books. I am never disappointed by Katherine Kurtz's writing style, and ability to create an entire race
Fantasy Literature

Kelson is now 17 years old. In the previous book, The Bishop’s Heir, Kelson and his advisors (Morgan and Duncan) dealt with the rebellion of the province of Meara, w
Carol Gibson
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
This is the second book in the King Kelson histories. This is one of my favorites. It can be hard to read because it takes place during war. There is torture, rape and people die who really shouldn't. Kelson is maturing as a King and a man but he is far from perfect. Katherine Kurtz has this amazing ability to make this type of medieval faux Earth fantasy really come to life.

If you like King Arthur stories and knights and magic then these books are fun reads.
David Zerangue
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This installment was much better than the first of the trilogy. Really enjoyed reading this one. Interested to see how they incorporate the third book into the trilogy as she completed this storyline in the this volume. It'll be the search for Saint Camber but it could probably have been a stand alone. I'll find out soon enough.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young Kelson Haldane, King of Gwynedd, heir to both royal and Deryni magical powers, was still no match for ex-Archbishop Loris and the Pretender Queen Caitrin who sought his death. Yet, he raised an army against them both, knowing that honor made defeat impossible.... interesting.
Maggie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing I didn't like in this book was the descriptions of torture. It's hard to skip when reading, but did some skimming. I like King Kelson and his loyal companions. I look forward to reading about Camber again in the next book.
Phi
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was a melancholy about the titular justice dispensed in this book, which along with a medieval realism and quasi-catholic society had quite an effect back when I was but a callow youth accustomed to tales of boys adventuring on rocket ships and heroes arriving astride dragons to save the day
Jessica
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The king's justice is swift . . . and it has to be. Poor Kelson!
Juliana
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nicely Written Installment

Nicely written installment in the series. Enough action and pathos for a well-rounded tale after a somewhat uneven Book 1.
Ina M. Ish
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The King's Justice

An excellent tale.Dialog flows smoothly and descriptors are vivid and lush. Ms.Kurtz brings the reader right into the book's action.
Todd
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A good book, Katherine Kurtz writes like the reader has an encyclopedia in front of them written to explain her book..
Arlene Allen
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More great stuff!!
Katherine
Oct 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pretty sure I read this at some point
Michael
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Histories of King Kelson is an excellent trilogy in the Deryni world. These are some of my favorite books. Love the setting and the psychic abilities.
Alain
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
King Kelson finally comes into his own.....'nuff said
Kelly
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a King at 17 is a difficult burden
Jen
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of all of Katherine Kurtz's books. Highly recommend!
Sam Gordon
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading about the adventures of Kelson and crew. In my opinion, Kurtz is at her best when she's writing within that particular generation of the Deryni. They're some of my favorite reads and I have no doubt I'll read them again and again in the future. I sure can't say the same for most books!
Paca Sad
I am enjoying this trilogy much more than the initial series, but having hat background has also provided a good insight into this colourful world
Cindi
Sep 08, 2018
Tasi
Sep 05, 2011
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Needed 4 20 Aug 02, 2017 12:55PM
  • Beyond Wizardwall (Beyond Series, #3)
  • Ars Magica
  • The Silver Branch (The Tales of Aeron, #3)
  • A Trio for Lute
  • Heir of Sea and Fire (Riddle-Master, #2)
  • Wings of Omen (Thieves' World, #6)
  • Six of Swords
  • The Lost Swords: The Second Triad (Lost Swords, #4-6)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)
  • The Knight and Knave of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #7)
  • The Wizard and the Warlord
  • Two to Conquer (Darkover, #7)
  • The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1)
Katherine Kurtz is an American fantasy novel writer. She is best known for her Deryni series. She currently lives in Virginia.

The Histories of King Kelson (4 books)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
  • The Quest for Saint Camber (The Histories of King Kelson, #3)
  • King Kelson's Bride (The Histories of King Kelson, #4)