Start by marking “Mean Sisters” as Want to Read:
Mean Sisters

Mean Sisters (Sorority Sisters Mystery #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

*‘Well written and Legally Blonde funny!’ Reader review*

Perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Lindsey Kelk and Mean Girls.

A sassy, hilariously funny murder mystery where the closest bonds of friendship might just kill you…!

Published March 17th 2016 by Maze (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Mean Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean Sisters

Sara
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I expected more from this title. From the description opening "Perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Lindsey Kelk and Mean Girls." I expected a brilliant book filled with humor and some hilarious bitchiness...I ended up very disappointed.

The humor is lukewarm, if not AWOL... The bitchiness is not fun at all. This was one of those books you have to remind yourself to go back to and not one you can't put down. Also there were way too many paragraphs without a single line of dialog wasted in "I did
Kim
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, kindle, n, net-galley
This was a murder mystery with a chick lit slant on it- set in the American sorority scene.
Margot works for the sorority circle and attends a meeting when one of the girls dies. Initially expecting this to be from natural causes the book starts to follow an investigation into suspicious circumstances and Margot finds herself needing to ensure her name is in the clear.

This was a fairly light, quick read- almost what I would class as a cosy mystery.

With many thanks to Net Galley for a copy of thi
Andrea at Reading Lark
*3.5 Rating
Review Posted on Reading Lark 7/4/15: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2015/...

Every now and then I crave a read that is pure fun. As a kid, I would often reach for a mystery or an R.L. Stine book. As an adult, I find that fun reads take many forms, but I still am always up for a mystery. I liked that this one was silly and fluffy as well as a strong mystery. It was the perfect read after a string of some darker, serious novels.

Margot Blythe is one of those twenty somethings that can't
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it

Mean Sisters is a murder mystery, but without the gore and grit of many books in this genre, and is quite light hearted, with a great sense of humor to it. It is set right in the heart of the American sorority system, and it was refreshing as someone who has been reading a large amount of British based books recently, to read something clearly all-American.

There is a note at the start of the book, to let the reader know there is a glossary as the back of the book. Although its easy to navigate
B.R. Maycock
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The cover got me here, and when I heard the claim ‘Perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Lindsey Kelk and Mean Girls,’ I was fairly sure I’d enjoy. I have to admit I’ve never read chick lit enshrouded in something akin to murder mystery/ thriller clothing before, and I was intrigued.

We meet Margot Blythe, ‘professional sorority girl,’ who is on her sixth year in the Delta Beta sororities. Now obviously over here we don’t have sororities and so I really enjoyed hearing about the background, nuance
Aisha Reads Books

This book was certainly amusing. Setting a murder mystery within a sorority setting is always a good idea because it allows for an extra element of secret keeping from those not pledged. Margot was a fun narrator, somehow both whip smart and dumb as a post as she looks after her sisters and decides to solve the murders on her own.

Margot is a character who toes the party line with regards to what to expected of a Delta Beta sister and she expects everyone else to hold these values, because why el
Irina Humphrey
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Margot Blythe is a twenty-something year old who can’t seem to let her college glory days go. After all, everyone deserves a family of ‘sisters’ like she had. When she’s invited to speak at her alma mater, her homecoming reception isn’t exactly what she expected. Tragedy strikes and Margot has to step up, especially when foul play is suspected.

She’s going to save her fifty frazzled ‘sisters’, keep the suspicious (but
Louisa
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, this was such a fantastic book! I enjoyed it so much, so hilarious, I loved the mystery, and I can't wait to read more of this series and this author!
Zee Monodee
While I didn't expect 'endearing' with the bitchiness you'd expect from a sorority house, I also didn't think it would be this level of catty! I was like, why should I care? because these women, my goodness! It felt like I wanted to run away from this pack more than anything ... which didn't end up being a read I wanted to dive back into. Also, not being American, much of the sorority aspects fell flat for me because I was clueless and there was really no explanations/help in the read to even gi ...more
Alexis
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious page turner, Sisterhood is Deadly is one of my favorite books. I can't remember another book making me laugh out loud so often. The characters are larger than life, yet somehow completely relatable. A book I will definitely read again and again!
Ana

Originally posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Actual rating 3.5/5

Published as 'Sisterhood is Deadly' in US, 'Mean Sisters' (title from UK publisher) is the first installment in a series called Sorority Sisters Mystery. Lindsay Emory is a name I've heard just recently, when I spotted this title among the new ones published by Maze (imprint of Avon UK) and one I believe we'll all be hearing about a lot more in the future. Like A
Paperback Princess
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paperback Princess by: Pump Up Your Books Blog Tour
Shelves: for-review, tour
This review was originally posted on Paperback Princess.

Sisterhood is Deadly is a funny, light and fluffy chic-lit read with a dash of mystery. It's very sorority-filled so if you've been in a sorority you will find it even funnier as you'd be able to relate to what's going on. Unfortunately I did not go to College in the US so I was never able to be part of a sorority but I would have loved to have been so I love reading sorority books just to see what it's like.

Margot Blythe loves being part o
Lisa
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Take a bit of Mean Girls, a dash of Scream Queens, and a sprinkling of Legally Blonde, and you're pretty close to Mean Sisters! Step into a murder mystery in a college sorority house.

I am going to hold my hands up and admit I read absolutely none of the synopsis on this book. I was pulled in by the title and the cover, so when I started to read I was slightly thrown by the sorority side of it, especially as I have absolutely no clue about sororities or frat houses or so on except for what I hav
SOS Aloha
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed! - Elle Woods, LEGALLY BLONDE

SISTERHOOD IS DEADLY pokes fun at sorority life while still celebrating its time honored rituals. It is during one such ritual – standing in a circle to close the weekly meeting – when the chapter advisor drops dead at the Delta Beta House (DB, Deb for short). Margot Blythe, the visiting mentor sent by HQ to her own alma mater, extends her stay to guide the coeds through their grief while combating their ri
Danielle Urban
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The Mean Sisters is a novel women cannot pass up on...this read is everything readers want. Humor, friendships, mystery and a bit of hot sparks flying around...Lindsay Emory is a talented writer. Her novel reminds me of Legally Blonde in a way of the whole soroity house thing. Readers will get an insider's view to the going ons within a very top close knit soroity house. The girls seem like the super sweet women but not all of them are nice...espeically like the campus cop, Ty Hartfield who ...more
Sunsettowers
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

Note: The American edition of this book is titled Sisterhood is Deadly. The UK edition, which I read in ARC format, is titled Mean Sisters.

This is a gloriously fun book. The protagonist, Margot, is so likable and relatable, one of the most enjoyable protagonists and narrators I've encountered in my reading recently. Sure, many of us (myself included)
Maryline M's Bookshelf
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review was first published at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.com

"This blog tour will be SO FETCH!" From the moment I read that teaser, saw the cover and read the blurb, I knew this was a book I did not want to miss. And rightly so.
I had so much fun reading this. Elle Woods on Greek Row, meets Regina George and ZBZ's Casey & Ashleigh.
Margot is a very unique main character. She seems at times very superficial and petty, but she's also loyal to a fault with a big heart and a
Lauri Rottmayer
This was a fun book! I got right into the story because Margot, the main character, was so cute. The story is set in the Delta Beta sorority, Margot's employer and her sorority. She just loves the sistershood she had when she was in college and can't quite let it go. She loves her job working for the sorority even though she lives out of a suitcase as she travels from campus to campus. Margot is sent to visit her alma mater. When the house adviser drops dead during the chapter meeting, Margot fe ...more
Sara Kiplinger
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this review and others on my blog: The Library Princess

**This review is based on an ARC from Netgalley, release date 3/17/16.

This is definitely what I would consider a light read, but a fun one. It reminded me of the show Scream Queens in some ways, with the sorority and murders happening. Though the main characters were hardcore sorority girls, I found them likable, though I know some readers would be annoyed. I did figure out pretty easily who the murderer was so I wasn't surprised by th
Ann
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
full disclosure: I know Lindsay Emory. I was suuuuper nervous to read it because I know that we have entirely different tastes in books, so I put off reading it for ages. But since I was headed to a sorority event this weekend, it seemed like a good idea to jump into the world of a sorority murder mystery :)

It was like this book was custom written for me. It’s pretty niche. The target audience is definitely a sorority alumna who was in a leadership position in their sorority as a collegian AND w
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Book!
This is a great book by Lindsay Emory. Margot Blythe is in her twenties and is incapable of letting go of her college glory days. When she returns to her old college as an advisor, she does not get the homecoming reception she was expected when tragedy strikes and foul play is suspected. It is time for her to step up to help her sorority. If you are looking for a fun book, then you need to read this one. I am looking forward to the next book by this author. A Review copy was provided
Rachel Martin
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was billed as being for fans of Sophie Kinsella (which I am), but I was disappointed. The setting (a sorority) and premise (a murder!) are intriguing, and kept me interested to a certain extent. However I ultimately lost patience with this book because I just couldn't like or care about the main character enough. I do prefer quality writing with strong, and/or likeable characters, and this just didn't tick my boxes.

I received a digital copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an hone
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I'm in a sorority and have advised much like the main character and I felt this was a fairly accurate portrayal of a sorority on a campus - at least from the alumnae/advisor role. At times I could somewhat picture myself and the roles I have played through the years..but thankfully no murders where I advised or visited!

I was totally shocked at who the killer was...I did not expect it to be this person at all. some clues sort of came together near the end but it was still unexpected.

I can't wait
Ann
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a light read that has Margo trying to solve a murder when she is visiting her old sorority house as a representative from the national headquarters. A hunky police detective adds a romantic element to this cozy. I think readers who were Greek in college will appreciate the ceremonies and secrets. I thought that Margo still had some growing up to do traveling to various colleges for 6 years since graduating herself.
Amber
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
When I read the blurb, I found the premise of a murder mystery set in a sorority interesting. The book didn't live up to the hype for me. The main character is the worst sorority girl stereotypes incarnate. She makes Elle Woods from Legally Blonde look like a Mensa member. The combination of a lackluster whodunit and an the awful protagonist were just too much.
Chrys
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it

A light and enjoyable novel, I quite enjoyed it although the lead character was way too naive for my liking. I think the fact that the romance side of things was underplayed was actually what really worked for me, it was an added extra instead of the whole thing. The focus being on the sisterhood and their values, which are badly shaken by the murders.
Loved the funny, spunky heroine!

I have no loyalty to sororities, but I loved the fresh, funny voice in this awesome sisterhood mystery. And anything with a hot cop is right up my alley!
Kathleen Gray
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A light entertaining read= no heavy lifting or complicated plots. At times you'll want to tell everyone to grow up but Margot is a fun character who thinks things through. Thanks to NETGALLEY for the ARC= you'll like this if you enjoy frothy mysteries.
Julie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting who dunit with it at a college. I loved the interaction between MC and Officer. I can see a romance happening in the next book. She had a lot of growing up to do . Also there was a lot of mention of brands through out the book. I would read another book in the series :)
Peggy
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will have you laughing and turning the pages. A good little mystery to say the least! Ver enjoyable with lovable characters and a well written story! An overall amazing book!

*Received for an honest review*
  • A Ghostly Demise (Ghostly Southern Mysteries #3)
  • Right Wrong Guy (Brightwater #2)
  • Sleigh Belles
  • No Grits No Glory (The Southern Ghosts #1)
  • Safe Within
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • The Waiting Time
  • Skinny Dipping with Murder (An Otter Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Death by Chick Lit
  • Perfect Is Overrated
  • Down by the River
  • Mistletoe on Main Street (Briar Creek, #1)
  • The Secrets Between You and Me (Stolen Kiss, #2)
  • Nora Bonesteel's Christmas Past (Ballad, #10.5)
  • Werewolf in Denver (Wild About You, #4)
  • The January Wish (Tarrin's Bay #1)
  • Ghost Light (Ivy Granger, #2)

Sorority Sisters Mystery (2 books)
  • Rushing to Die: A Sorority Sisters Mystery