Start by marking “At the Heart of the Stone” as Want to Read:
At the Heart of the Stone

Read Book

At the Heart of the Stone

Dreams are the perfect shelter for our fantasies, safe havens to step inside without changing our daily lives. For Lark Braithwaite, all that is about to change. During the last six months, Lark has dreamt of a mysterious Irish lover, who knows what she wants, and gives her exactly what she needs. In her waking life in busy London, things aren’t as ideal, as her long-term ...more
Published February 16th 2016 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about At the Heart of the Stone, please sign up.
Roxanne Howard Oh my gosh, I don't know how I didn't see this question until now! Sorry Kazz, I would have answered right away if I'd seen it before! I am so glad yo…moreOh my gosh, I don't know how I didn't see this question until now! Sorry Kazz, I would have answered right away if I'd seen it before! I am so glad you enjoyed the novel. The Braithwaite family home was made up. :) I had much more, erm, humble beginnings (I was an apartment kid). So it's entirely fictional. Something I enjoyed about writing it and creating the home is that often we see these beautiful places and think, "jeez, if only I lived there or had something like that," but when you get down the nitty-gritty, everyone goes through personal turmoil, no matter where you live or what your lifestyle. Still, I did love writing it. It'd be nice to live somewhere like that one day, right? :) Thanks for the feedback, I really love it when readers speak out. :) All the best, Roxanne(less)

Start your review of At the Heart of the Stone
Dora Koutsoukou
I struggled to read almost half of the book. Unfortunately it felt a little flat, no sparks at all and moreover, I couldn’t connect with the characters.
N.N. Light
I love a good steamy romance and When You Close Your Eyes has it in spades. The best part, though, isn't the steamy scenes but the story itself. The steamy scene balance the drama and tension perfectly. This is my first book by Roxanne D. Howard but it won't be my last. Highly recommend!

My Rating: 5 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
This story was so much more than the typical erotic story and I loved every part of it. Yes the love scenes were smoking hot, and I mean “omg” hot, but the romance and story itself stole the show for me. Niall’s tender care of Lark was marvelous, he coaxed the real Lark out, showing her what love really was and how holding a grudge is basically pointless. This book is one of those rare erotic books that,along with having intense, delectable sex scenes, also come with a beautiful romance with ful ...more
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Imagine going to bed and dream about this amazing life you are living with another man! That's exactly what's happening to Lark. She has two lives going which one will become her true reality? This story will have you on edge feeling the emotional tribulations of Lark. It is one of those stories that you don't want to finish because it's that good.

Melissa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksprout
Roxanne Howard wrote a book that truly sets itself aside from what I've read in the past. I can't wait to read more of this writer.

Sheila Fiske
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was different, and I enjoyed it. Lark began having hot dreams about a man, that she didn't even know. It wasn't her fiancé, Charles. This is the beginning, and it only gets better. When I finished, I felt like I didn't want it to end. This is a must read! I look forward to reading more from Roxanne.
Parker
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lark is a powerful woman in the corporate world, living in London with her fiancé of five years she has it all. Recently Lark has been having hot dreams about a mysterious man who make her feel alive and its making her question if she really does have it all.
Whilst in the middle of a huge business deal Lark receives devastating news and has to return home immediately. While there not only does she have to face her demons from the past but she also meets the man of her dreams literally.
Niall is
Judy Johnson
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so GREAT! One of those stories that has you asking yourself what you are destined for and just what do you deserve? Is it your real life? or is it your dream life, and which one is the truth? In your dream life, you get exactly what you want, and in your real life, not so much! Then, one day, your dream life turns into reality! This story stirs every emotion in your body as you follow Lark's trials and tribulations to embrace the life that she wants and deserves, but at what expens ...more
Dawn West
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, erotica

**Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for honest review.**

And now I have a new book boyfriend!

Oh, Niall! How my heart pitter-patters just for you. My poor husband was thoroughly ignored while I escaped into Oregon and met this amazing Irish lad. I am still smiling!

Lark receives a phone call at the worst of times, informing her that her estranged father has died and she needs to come as quickly as possible. Her destination happens to be an ocean (and continent) a
Diane
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
London fiancée Lark Braithwaite should be dreaming of her beloved and their new life together - not some sultry Irish stranger. But in reality, her betrothed, Charles, is already controlling and less desirable than the stranger in her erotic dreams: a fact that puts the damper on her marriage ideals.

At the Heart of the Stone traces the evolution of her mysterious dreams and how they juxtapose with the difficult realities in her life, bringing her to a slow, simmering reality that what she's expe
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Heart melting, soul stirring magic that takes over and consumes the very existence that Lark had thought she wanted but dreamed was possible. This was that one romance that could and would take you to the brink and show you what you have been missing. It gives the possibility of finding what you thought you had but was only in the dreams you cultivated in the night.

Lark had her plate and hands full with a high-powered job, a selfish, self-consumed fiancé, and then her father’s death. What she d
Victoria
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES IS ANOTHER EXCELLENT BOOK BY ROXANNE D. HOWARD. BY FAR, THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF HERS. I REALLY LOVE THE STORY LINE AND CHARACTERS. LARK AND NIALL ARE BOTH STRONG AND COMPLEX CHARACTERS. BOTH WERE EFFECTED BY TRAUMATIC EVENTS THAT CHANGED THEM SOME HOW. BOTH ARE SCARED OF TRULY CARING ABOUT SOMEONE AND LETTING THAT PERSON IN THEIR LIFE. NIALL AND LARK FIND EACH OTHER IN THEIR DREAMS. THERE ARE NO LIMITS AND NOTHING CAN STOP THEIR LOVE AND PASSION IN THEIR DREA ...more
Romaine Heart
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At the Heart of the Stone will captivate you from the beginning. It's strong, passionate and romantic.
Lark is a confident, intelligent, sexy woman in the corporate world. She's been engaged to Charles for almost six years. For the past six months though, Lark has had dreams of a mysterious man in her sleep. He seems to care about her deeply and he has helped her to open up sexually.
Charles is as sexy as a male model. He's arrogant, power hungry and a twat. He also works with his fiance but at
Maria
Shelves: reviewed, bookbub
Beautiful, bittersweet story about true love and special connection

That story is different to the others I've read so far. It gave me the feeling that souls can connect and if there is someone destined for us we will find our way to that somebody. It was bittersweet. No sugarcoating. It is slow burn with precisely though through story line. Characters are very well developed and I could easily connect with them. There's perfect hero, perfect villain anti-hero and confused heartbroken heroine who
Ida Jolley
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do dreams really come true? I would say yes for this couple. Lark has a job she loves in London but comes home to Oregon and meets Niall. Even though she is engaged to Charles back in London, she keeps having dreams about a mystery man. It becomes apparent that this man is Niall. Lark and Niall start becoming closer and Charles doesn’t like it one bit and he starts to become aggressive and angry with the situation. Lark sees a new side to him and realizes he isn’t the man she thought he was and ...more
Sheila
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars for When You Close Your Eyes
ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Opinions expressed are my own!

Roxanne D Howard is a new author for me & I’ve now added her to my TBR authors !

I was drawn to this book by the hot cover as well as the brief synopsis!!

Lark has a lover that comes to her in her dreams & it’s not her fiancé Charles. Circumstances surrounding the death of her father who she has been estranged from for many years brings her back to Portland , OR for the
Karinosa
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lark and Nial and Charles...hmmm....This read was well paced and it read well. The scenes were hot and very much frustratingly good. You will see what I mean! I felt this book and their characters. They were strong minded and stayed their courses. This is a good read and I enjoyed it. Is there a second to this book?? I am curious as to the ending. Well, it is a good reAd!!

I received this ARC from the publisher via Net Galley for my honest review. The opinions are solely my own. Thank you Net Gal
Lori Amey
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was like no other, I've ever read before. Lark is living two lives. One in real life and one through her dreams. This book is filled with love, lust, mystery, suspense and lots of sexy times. My emotions were all over the place and I had no idea what would happen next. When I was finished reading, I couldn't think of nothing else but this book. You don't want to miss out on reading this story.
Jeanne Richardson
This is the 4th book I've read written by Roxanne Howard; she has done an great job at writing a good book; I will definitely be reading more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Tammy M.
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sexy, romantic slow burn to keep you warm on a winter night. Niall is hotter than hell, both in Lark's dreams and in-person. This book is unique and well-written. It is not a fast-paced read, but more of a slow climb to an extremely satisfying conclusion. I dislike it when authors wrap up a story too tightly and I really appreciate that this author left us with a HEA that leaves room to daydream.

Ali Marquez
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an emotional roller coaster. I felt anger, embarrassment, hope frustration and blushing happiness all in the one night it took me to read the whole book. It only took one night because I couldn't put it down. I can officially say I have a new book boyfriend and Niall is all mine ladies so BACK OFF!.....just kidding, enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is Niall and lark . I received an ARC for my honest review.
Michelle
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-read, arc, 2019
I loved this book! Roxanne D. Howard writes stories that pull me in and hug me like a warm blanket. I have yet to read one of her books that I do not love. In this book we go on a journey with Lark in her dreams and then into reality. Lark has been dreaming about a mysterious Irish man and then finds the real man back in Oregon. This is a beautifully written story with dreamy twists, a jealous ex and a love story with a great HEA. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Linda Maidani
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this sexy story with great characters, romance and intrigue. She lived in London and had a fiance who was chating on her. She had to return to Oregon when her father got ill. She had been having erotic dreams of an Irish man and when she got to Oregon she met him in the flesh. They are great for each other. I look forward to reading more books from this author. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy.
Erica Lynn
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful! Roxanne D. Howard does such an amazing job of making the reader feel like they are in the scene.
Her characters are so relatable, and you root for them as they navigate their way through emotional situations and circumstances.
I will definitely be on the lookout for more books from this author!
Sharon
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dreams become reality
Great book! For Lark, her dreams seem to have become a reality as she comes face-face with a man she has been dreaming about. This has mystery, emotion, drama and steamy scenes. It’s easy to read and follow, an overall great read!

Michele Del Rey
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the dreaming before they met. I always wish that happened to me. Lark and No all were so good together and had great chemistry.
This was a really good book. Cannot wait to read another.
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a unique and interesting read. Lark has a second life going on in her dreams. Very different and entertaining. Really enjoyed this from beginning to end. Will be reading more from this author!

Elaine Swinney
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to get an ARC copy of this book and I chose to review it. It is well written and worth your time. It has some twists and turns. I don't do spoilers so you will have to get the book to find out what it is. Give this one a chance, I think you will enjoy it!
Linda
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Howard, where have you been? I'm so glad I have found you! What a wonderful book! I enjoyed every single page! Loved the plot. "Sleeping" with a "dreamy" man! What could be better? Travelling to Oregon and meeting him? Just loved it! And, yes, loved Niall!
Jenny
Brilliant! No word!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The List: Alyssa's Revenge (Deep State Mysteries Book 2)
  • Dangerous Currents
  • The Priestess (The Banished Gods, #3)
  • Breaking the Rules
  • Freefall (International Love #1)
  • Glimpse, The Beautiful Deaths (Deadly Glimpses #2)
  • FIRE BLOSSOM - A BRIDGE BETWEEN ENEMIES
  • Cole (Standish Bay Romance, #1)
  • Night of the Owl (The Novels of Ravenwood, #4)
  • The Berserker's Bride
  • Open Secret (FBI Joint Task Force, #1)
  • Tea, Anyone? (A Brooke & Abby Cozy Mystery Book 1)
  • Monsters in My Closet
  • Four White Roses
  • A Heart of Little Faith
  • Miss Christmas: A Sexy Romantic Comedy (Regal Family Book 5)
  • It's a Trust thing (DotComGirls, Book 2)
  • The Burn
Roxanne D. Howard is a romance novelist who resides in the mid-western United States. She is a RWA PAN member. She loves to read poetry, classical literature, and Stephen King. She is also an avid Star Wars fan, musical theater nut, and loves everything related to marine biology. She is the proud mother of two beautiful girls, several pets, and loves to spend time with her husband and children whe ...more

News & Interviews