Start by marking “Agent of Chaos (The X-Files: Origins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Agent of Chaos (The X-Files: Origins, #1)

Agent of Chaos

(The X-Files: Origins #1)

How did Fox Mulder become a believer? How did Dana Scully become a skeptic? The X-Files Origins has the answers.

The X-Files Origins: Agent of Chaos explores the teen years of Fox Mulder, the beloved character depicted in the cult-favorite TV show The X-Files. His story is set in the spring of 1979, when serial murder, the occult, and government conspiracy were highlighted
Published January 3rd 2017 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Agent of Chaos, please sign up.
Emma I think you'd be fine reading the books first. I've only seen one or two episodes of the show and had no issue following the books.

Start your review of Agent of Chaos (The X-Files: Origins, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
5 FULL STARS BABY!❤

I loved this book so much. I felt like the author captured a young, Fox Mulder, to a T! I could actually see the older Fox talking in every sentence. =)

This follows the story of a young Mulder of seventeen. He's living with his father after the disappearance of his sister, Samantha. His parents had issues and they wanted Mulder to go to a different school for his senior year and then off to college.

Mulder has a goofy friend named Gimble that plays D & D and I just loved him.
Trina (Between Chapters)
This was fine. I used to watch The X Files (original) as it aired but that's been sooooo long ago that I'm not well versed on the canon. I'm sure this had many little references that went over my head. Other than some of the character names this felt like it could have stood on its own, so I think even people who have never seen the show could enjoy this.

Audiobook review: Good. Would recommend.

tw: kidnapping/disappearances of children, ritualistic child murder.
Stacee
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The X-Files was and still is one of my favorite shows and I absolutely couldn't resist reading teenage Mulder. And of course he's just as you would expect.

Loved the story, the characters, and the creepy factor. It felt like an episode and I was captivated from the beginning.

Onward to Scully's story!

**Huge thanks to the publisher for sending me an early copy**
Ashley
UGHHHH I HAD MY WHOLE REVIEW WRITTEN AND MY BROWSER CRASHED AND NOW I'M GOING TO HAVE A TEMPER TANTRUM.

K back from temper tantrum now.

So I had this huge brilliant review* for this book, which I stupidly wrote in the review space here on Goodreads instead of somewhere that saved things periodically like I usually do, and upon being two sentences away from finishing it, my browser decided to to go non-responsive, crashed and deleted the whole thing. I will note that this ONLY ever happens to me wh
Lorraine Southern
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars ****
This book was great fun for an X-Files fan like me! Fox Mulder, Mr Cool himself, as a teen in this his origin story. What could possibly go wrong? Plenty, I know, but nothing does!! This is not literary excellence, it’s just a fun, fast-paced look at how Fox Mulder became a believer. The Cigarette Smoking Man, X, the Major, Samantha, the missing, aliens, UFOs, conspiracies, the occult - it’s all here in a thoroughly enjoyable read!
The truth is out there, you know? 😉
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-2017, ya, scifi
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

*Review to come!*

**Anticipatory Comments**

Wait... what? I adore The X-Files and YA fiction is my LIFE, but what is Mulder without Scully?? I'm hesitantly excited about this book...

Leah
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.

I watched The X-Files with my dad religiously growing up, so when I heard about Origins, I knew I needed them in my life. Reading about young Mulder and how he learned that there are no coincidences and why he should trust now one made my inner conspiracy theorist sing glory.

Now on to read Scully's Origin. If it is half as good as this book, then it will be in good company.
TraceyL
One of two prequels to The X-Files TV show starring a teenage Fox Mulder.

It's enjoyable. Would it stand on it's own without the TV Show tie-in? Probably not.

Is it an entertaining story to add to the X-Files cannon? Yeah.

I'll read the other book in this duology because I've been an X-Files mega fan since I was a kid and it was entertaining enough. It'll be interesting to see a different author write a similar book, but focused on Dana Scully instead.
Erika
Feb 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
Fox Mulder's story, age 17, set in the spring of 1979.

OMG.
MY HEART IS SO FUCKING HAPPY.

Mandy
I've been having a hard time with retellings lately. Every book that I've been reading has me thinking, but is this really Bruce Wayne? Is this really the voice of Belle? And then I'm usually yelling at the book, THIS IS NOT *MY* SLEEPING BEAUTY. However, hold your book fantasy horses, because Kami Garcia did it and got the voice of Fox Mulder down perfectly. This is honestly one of the best retellings/prequels in a TV/Movie character's that I've read it, and I just want to bask in all the X-Fil ...more
Michael Hicks
My original THE X-FILES: ORIGINS - AGENT OF CHAOS audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I have to admit, I was rather skeptical at the notion of a young adult The X-Files title when the Origins book, Agent of Chaos, was first announced. And although this was a fun audiobook, with several nods toward key components of The X-Files lore, I’m not convinced it’s an indispensable chapter to the series’ ever-growing mythology despite the entertainment value.

Kami Garcia pre
Tiffy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the X-Files and loved this book.
Sara Michaels
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall I thought this was a great book for young adult readers and a really neat way to get that age group into The X-Files. This book is easily read by fans and non-fans (there are some cute references throughout that fans will definitely appreciate, but will not distract or confuse non-fans) and is entertaining. Plus -- and I'm guessing this was intentional -- the similarities of the plot to the story of the David Meirhofer murder case (the first serial killer the FBI used "offender profiling ...more
Chiara
Okay, so Fox Mulder is pretty much my fave fictional character of all time, so I was treading dangerous reading waters by picking this up. But teen!Mulder was not something I could pass up.

And you know what? Garcia's Mulder was pretty darn spot on. Some things he said and did didn't QUITE fit with his character, but overall I really did feel like I was reading about baby Mulder. Which was amazing.

I really liked the mystery/thriller element, too.

Although, I have to say that the ending felt ver
Eliza
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so amazing if you loved "The X-Files" TV show you really need to read this like now it is so cannon you guys i do recommend going into not knowing anything because the twists and turns really should come as surprise so I'm going just to end this review by saying read this read it now
Kissthelibrarian
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5. This book was quite fun, I loved witnessing the moment Fox Mulder decided to join the FBI. Now I want to rewatch the TV show 📺
Stacy Fetters
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"When in dark of night I wake, show me the soul that I must take."
Ever since I heard about this book, I needed to get my hands on this like how a junkie needs a fix. Holy hell!! What did I just read? I'm speechless at how divine this was.
You take something we all love and make a back story of a younger Mulder and how he started to believe. Because you really can't trust anyone.
description
The book starts off with a bang and slowly sets up the pace for that mindblowing end that is to come.
Mulder is a
Jasher Drake
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty good book. Totally feel like this captured Mulder’s character perfectly and completely sets him up to be the man we meet in the show. A bit disappointing though as the pacing was quite strange and the ending felt very anticlimactic.
Katya de Becerra
Agents of Chaos was a neat look into the formative years of one Fox Mulder.

A real treat for all hardcore X-Files fans and for pretty much anyone else - yes, even those who somehow managed to grow up/exist unaware of the X-Files awesomeness.

I loved the creepy mystery at the core of this book, the detailed preview of the workings of the young Mulder's brain and the hints of big, sinister things that lurk just within our reach but are totally unseen - for the most part.

It was also a fast-paced r
Sana Zameer
2.5 Stars

I'm a huge X-Files fan. Reading about a teenage Mulder was a bit odd after watching an adult portrayal of him for so many years. Seventeen years old Fox Mulder is obsessed with finding his sister Samantha, who disappeared five years prior. He starts investigating the disappearence of several kids who have similarities with Samantha's case. I think Kami Garcia didn't portray Mulder right. The plot was too reliable on a certain book and the secondary characters were insignificant. The mys
Jeimy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved this glimpse into Fox Mulder's adolescence, but was disappointed at the inconclusive ending.
Veronika
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was SO GOOD!!!!! i'm so happy with it, oh man. 4.5.
Jannene
The book was okay but I loved the X-Files tv show and this left me wanting. I’m not sure what it was that really missed the mark but something did.
Melissa
Five years ago Fox's sister, Samantha, was abducted right in front of Fox. He is now seventeen, but has no memories of what happened during those few crucial moments when Samantha disappeared. He blames himself, but now abductions are happening in the D.C. area, abductions that have disturbing similarities to Samantha's abduction. Fox wants to get to the bottom of this and find out if it is the same kidnapper and hopefully find answers about his sister.

This is an X-Files origin story. For those
Jayson Barker
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bit slow of a start, but definitely a great read for fans of The X-Files. Some references to characters from the actual television series. It also had great new characters and I was happy with this view of young Fox Mulder.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is great, and I'll admit it made me start watching the series again. I loved the idea of teenage Mulder, and learning how exactly he began working with the FBI, and what lead to his inane fascination with aliens. Maybe I just had too high of expectations.

There were a LOT of references to the tv show throughout this, but they weren't subtly sprinkled in and fun little tidbits. They were rammed down your throat the entire time. I didn't need an overabundance of connection
Kirsty
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh fox Mulder even as a 17 year old I still adore you.

I am a huge x-files fan and I was equal part skeptical and excited about reading the xfiles origin books and on the whole I was reasonably pleased with what I read. They do capture the spirit of the TV series for me getting the essence of both Mulder and Scully right so they feel right as a prequel to the series. I would gladly read more of these following both Mulder and Scully right through until they become the agents we meet in the first
Logan Price
I listened to this novel on audible and the narrator did a really good job. Let me start by making two list: the things I liked, and the things I didn't like so much.

Things I liked.....
1) The story and the mystery were really well developed
2) The character and character growth were done really clearly and really in depth. The characters were more than likeable.
3) I hadn't seen the X-Files and it wasn't necessary to understand the story
4) I really enjoyed the fact that another novel was mention
meghann
Love love love love love. I love the X-Files. I love Fox Mulder. I lurrrrrrve David Duchovny. I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy this book, and I did. I love this author's other series, so I was excited when I heard she writing about a young Fox Mulder. This book takes us through the first "case" he investigates as a high school senior. I enjoyed the cast of characters (both familiar and new), and it was a lot of fun seeing baby Mulder get his start. I would definitely recommend watching the ...more
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Actual Rating: 4.5*

I really enjoyed this one! I think anyone who enjoys conspiracy theories, aliens, xfiles, or just generally a good cop show will enjoy this one. I liked the characterizations and the consistency to the original story but I had a few minor complaints which I'll highlight in my full review!
books with the same theme 2 7 Oct 13, 2018 07:35AM
X-Files 1 6 Feb 12, 2017 04:42PM

• The X-Files: Goblins (The X-Files #1)
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
  • Surface Tension
  • Attucks!: Oscar Robertson and the Basketball Team That Awakened a City
  • Ruins
  • Antibodies
  • The X-Files: Trust No One
  • The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)
  • Bucky F*cking Dent
  • The Truth Is Out There (The Official Guide to The X-Files, #1)
  • Ground Zero
  • In Her Skin
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume 1
  • The X-Files: Cold Cases (X-Files, #1)
  • Southern Justice
  • Anti/Hero
  • Batman: Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2)
  • Kent State
Kami Garcia is a #1 New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author. She is the coauthor of the BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series, which has been published in 51 countries and 37 languages, with over 10 million copies in print. In 2013, Beautiful Creatures released as a feature film from Warner Brothers. Kami is a cofounder of the YALLFEST kid lit book festival and the author of five solo ...more

The X-Files: Origins (2 books)
  • Devil's Advocate (The X-Files: Origins, #2)