Start by marking “Children of the New World” as Want to Read:
Children of the New World

Children of the New World

Children of the New World introduces readers to a near-future world of social media implants, memory manufacturers, dangerously immersive virtual reality games, and alarmingly intuitive robots. Many of these characters live in a utopian future of instant connection and technological gratification that belies an unbridgeable human distance, while others inhabit a post-colla ...more
Published September 13th 2016 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about Children of the New World, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mazzy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Silver With Soul Co you can have yourself cloned and than have your soul implanted in your clone when you die so you will basically be the exact same person…moreWith Soul Co you can have yourself cloned and than have your soul implanted in your clone when you die so you will basically be the exact same person again. With natural reincarnation you may have some of you old memories still but you are born into a different body and thus may not truly be the same person you were before.

I believe the Buddhists were against it because the cloning aspect and the preserving the soul in quartz took the “naturalness” out of the process as well as the spirituality. The religion was in competition with the corporation. They felt the way Soul Co was doing it was immoral plus they are competing for customers so to speak.

(less)

Pouting Always
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories centered around technological and cultural changes that may happen in the future, mostly centered around changes like virtual reality and the increasing ability to share with one another. I think this was a lot stronger than most collections of short stories but I haven't read short stories as extensively so take that with a grain of salt. I very much enjoyed the one with the fake memories, I think that one stuck with me the most. Obviously some stories were stronge ...more
Hannah
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, sci-fi, short-stories
I still haven't quite figured out my thoughts on this one: while the stories' premises were absolutely breathtaking, the characters and the plot were often not quite as outstanding. I have been looking forward to this book for ages, it was definitely on my "must-buy-as-soon-as-possible"-list and I was ecstatic when I finally could read it. The blurb sounded right up my alley; I love speculative fiction, especially those dealing with how the changes in technology change the way people communicate ...more
Taryn
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you love the TV series Black Mirror, this book is for you! This collection of thirteen short stories features a variety of imagined futures where technology has become so embedded in day-to-day life that it's impossible to live without it. Many of the characters have grown so dependent on virtual reality that they've forgotten how to connect with people in the real world. Some of them seem to crave offline connections, but are clueless about how to obtain them. One of the reasons books like t ...more
Phrynne
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
This is an intriguing look at some possible futures for a society like ours, involved as we are in social media and virtual reality.
Thirteen short stories each tell a different possibility from virtual families living totally virtual lives to dystopian futures where society is struggling to survive in the face of climate change disaster.
Some things really stood out for me - the virtual children who have to be deleted after a computer virus in Children of the New World - the 'death' of a robot bo
Maxwell
In his collection of speculative short stories, Alexander Weinstein looks at many possible futures for our world, especially those shaped by the innovation and integration of technology. Whether it's robotic babysitters ("Saying Goodbye to Yang"), manufactured memories ("The Cartographers") or live streaming from your eyeballs ("Fall Line"), these imaginative stories take our current obsession with tech to the next level.

And while the premises of almost all the stories are very interesting and f
Peter Boyle
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was about to shelve this book as science-fiction, but I don't think that's an entirely accurate description. Yes these stories take place some years from now, but they imagine the near rather than the distant future. All of the scenarios they present seem frighteningly plausible and in some cases, scarily imminent.

These haunting tales all revolve around technology or climate change, and how society adapts to such developments. In Saying Goodbye to Yang, a malfunctioning "big brother" android s
Figgy
Fans of the show Black Mirror are bound to find something to like in Weinstein’s collection of stories. Each of these stories has something to do with technology, whether that be humanity’s reliance on it, the ways in which it warps our interactions with each other, or how we deal with a sudden loss of it.

Some of the stories do cross the line into the bizarre, especially the ones where technology affects the way people have sex, and one in particular where people can add additional genitals to v
Kaitlin
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book has such an interesting set up for me. A collection of SF stories set in a new world that's gone terribly wrong. I think there was so much potential for originality and quality, but it just fell short of the mark for me overall.

Some of the stories within this were interesting and had cool tech or ideas. However, I felt as though a lot of the ideas. were either too random without a point or not pushed far enough and felt tame. I wanted this to explore things I'd not thought about befor
Marchpane
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection delivers all the things I love in short stories: smart, incisive, near-future speculations that are really commentaries about our present times. What are our fears, our reservations about the way we live our lives today? These stories project them with maximum impact.

It's handy that we have 'Black Mirror' as a kind of short hand for this genre. Those magic words brought this great book to my attention and I hope to find more like it.
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, that book will stay with me for a while. These are some haunting stories that I don't even know where to begin with how to digest. Damn.
Blair
Every time I started a new story in Children of the New World, I kept thinking: surely at least one of these is going to be something less than absolutely brilliant, surely this is the one that's going to let me down. Spoiler: it doesn't happen.

The stories here are soft sci-fi, sitting in the near-future genre alongside Black Mirror, Her and Luke Kennard's excellent The Transition. A few of the stories hint at a shared universe, different points in could-be future, giving the collection a David
Michelle Morrell
Well-written stories that step into the near future to shine a light on some of the potential avenues humanity faces with our reliance on technology, social media and constant surveillance. Any one of these could be an episode of Black Mirror.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Just another straight-white-male sci-fi collection. Though I did finish all the stories, none of them really stood out to me as bringing anything new to the science fiction genre. There were an assortment of tales about artificial intelligence becoming part of the family, digital manipulation of memory, and a couple of post-apocalypse style settings.

This book has a strangely distant voice and feels deeply male-centric. Children of the New World was an interesting story but like all the others la
Book Riot Community
Like Black Mirror? Like Westworld? Then you’ll love these stories of not-so-far-away future dystopia.

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, All The Books: http://bookriot.com/listen/shows/allt...
Charlie Anders
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had heard great things about this literary SF collection, and I really enjoyed it. A lot of these stories are about either climate change or the dangers and complications of virtual reality/A.I./robots. At its best, this book forges new territory but also has a poignant, trenchant eye for telling details and personal moments. My two favorite stories are "The Cartographers," about a three-man company that makes custom-made fake memories for people, and "Fall Line," about an extreme skier who's ...more
Rachel León
(3.5 stars)

I hit a short story slump for a while. Every story I read seemed to be lacking something. And then I picked up Weinstein's collection. The first story was pitch perfect and officially ended the slump. I really enjoyed Weinstein's crisp prose and the compelling speculative-ish scenarios he creates. Some in the collection were 5 stars stories, though others fell short. Two issues plagued these less strong stories: repetition and lack of character development.

The futuristic scenarios ar
Malcolm Everett
In this short story collection, Alexander Weinstein seems concerned with two themes: Technology addiction and survival after an apocalypse. The writing is solid and the ideas are interesting shower thoughts, but the stories often follow predictable trajectories. Even so, I enjoyed the explorations of technology and think that Weinstein has great potential as a speculative fiction writer.

The biggest problem was repetition. Several stories feature the plot of technology addiction leading to the de
Jessica Sullivan
After seeing all the Black Mirror comparisons, I had to get my hands on this book. The comparisons are accurate—if only thematically. In his series of short stories, Weinstein imagines eerie future worlds not too unfamiliar from our own where humanity has taken the backseat to technology.

His stories incorporate smart, interesting subject matter, such as robot children and the corporatization of human consciousness. My favorite story, "Openness," imagines a world in which we can plug into carefu
Text Publishing
‘Mind-blowing...In the vein of George Saunders, Rick Bass, and Alex Shakar, Weinstein writes with stirring particularity, unfailing sensitivity, and supercharged imagination, creating nuanced stories harboring a molten core of astutely satirical inquiries.’
STARRED Review, Booklist

‘Inspired by the author’s anxiety over our increasingly virtual lives, these 13 stories artfully slam an unchecked obsession with technology and affirm the beauty of reality’s texture.’
The New York Times

‘Scary, recogni
David
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The timely, nuanced stories in Alexander Weinstein’s “Children of the New World” are some of the most brilliantly disconcerting fiction in recent memory, stranding the reader in 13 eerily plausible futures. In riveting scenarios that call to mind the cult BBC TV series “Black Mirror,” Weinstein deftly explores our evolving relationship with technology and its repercussions on our inner and outer lives.

In the poignant first story, “Saying Goodbye to Yang,” the family’s android baby-sitter suffers
Terri
Thirteen original science-fiction stories that are set in the not so distant future, held me in suspense, until the end of the book. I predict some possible movies being made from some of these frightening tales. My favorite story was"Saying Goodbye to Yang" deals with cloning and robotic children. Alexander Weinstein asks the question, about our brave new world that technology could bring us, "How do we stop ourselves from turning into terrifying monsters?" These sci-fiction stories also ask qu ...more
Bandit
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was touted as a perfect read for Black Mirror fans and who I am to resist. Black Mirror just so happens to be one of the best things on television in recent years, so it's a high standard to live up to and this book manages quite nicely. It isn't quite the same thing, but it's a very serviceable second best. So that's as far as those comparisons go, but this collection actually works well and stands tall on its own two literary feet. Story after story explores the societies of near future d ...more
Sara
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
We live in a time of incredible change and that change isn't always for the better. Mind you, it doesn't seem that way on the surface. How can it when you can connect to another human being across the world instantaneously with the touch of a button. How can we be isolated when at any second of the day we can send our deepest thoughts and desires to a million people? How can we consider ourselves out of touch when we have 24/7 access to every major (and minor) event in the world as it happens?

T
Julianne (Outlandish Lit)
I haven't been this excited about reading a book in what feels like forever. I knew that I'd like this collection of short stories. It was pitched to me as akin to the TV show Black Mirror, which I absolutely loved. And they weren't wrong about that. Here we have a collection of stories that are all speculative. Set in the very near future, things are just a little different from how they are now. People are a little more hooked into technology, the environment is in worse shape, etc. Our scenar ...more
Shannon
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It’s hard to imagine social media taking up more of our lives than it does today, but in the near-future of Alexander Weinstein’s stories it starts to blend with all-consuming virtual reality and pre-programmed memories. Families and children are raised completely online while memories take the place of recreational drugs. For many of the characters in Children of the New World, life before complete technological immersion is a distant story told through the visions of their screens.

Not long ago
Mel (Epic Reading)
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
There were three really solid little stories in this anthology of dystopia snippets. I say snippets because many of these stories are more ideas that haven't been fleshed out enough.
Even the best writers can't tell a good story in 8 pages. Almost all the ideas in Alexander Weinstein's compilation of Children of the New World are unique and engaging; but most just don't have enough there to really make me feel like I was told a story with characters I can remember.
Many of the stories I can bare
Kelley
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Collection read in conjunction with Michigan Notable Author Alexander Weinstein

I loved this collection of short stories! I would have never chosen to pick this book up to read had it not been for the author visiting our library tomorrow night. The stories were all variations on what our not-too-distant future could look like with technology seeming to take over our lives. For those of us who are over 50, I think that technology is equal parts scary and fascinating so these stories resonated with
Alexandra
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
children of the new world is a book of science fiction stories set in a scarily not so distant future.

okay, some aspects of the stories might take awhile to happen, such as another ice age, but there are many aspects that are very relevant to today's society.

in our constant search for happiness and contentment, we tend to look to all of our things (specifically technology related), and in doing so, we are very much in danger of letting real life pass us by.

in migration, the main character and
William Koon
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
To be brief, Weinstein writes a book of stories about the digital near future.

For anyone who is scared, this is a book for you. We all know technology has replaced most things in our lives including jobs and even manners, much less morals. How many times have we seen people we respect sneak looks at their phones while we are conversing with each other? Have you read the comments people respond to on internet stories. Those people walk amongst us, even if zombies and saints do not.

How much has G
Mark CC
I wanted to start my review with something like "The thing about short story collections is" before realizing this is probably the third I've read in the last ten years and I shouldn't be judging anythings "things."

What I did notice here is how the best stories are like the best high-school essays in that you stay on the thesis and don't include anything that doesn't further the thesis. So you have four pages about shooting a child into space being treated as a totally normal community event and

• Wait Till You See Me Dance
  • The Dream Life of Astronauts
  • Gypsy
  • Young Woman in a Garden
  • Man V. Nature
“What I didn’t want: a low-octane life of draining jobs, counting the days till I’d have time to
mow the lawn again, counting the weeks till I could afford some plastic, beach-chair
vacation, counting the years till retirement when I’d be too old to enjoy it.
I was from a place built off those blueprints, where sprinklers went off in the
morning and whole neighborhoods became ghost towns during work hours.
I’d look out at all those empty houses, the exhausted adults returning home, the
whole sorry bunch living at low throttle, and it seemed like death. I wanted to
see the stars over Kilimanjaro, the sunrise after sleeping at the base of a killer
range, to breathe powder. You can stand on the peak of the world, knowing
you’re about to drop into the mouth of a canyon sculpted by wind, and if you
die, at least you die by your own rules. That’s why I gave my life to extreme
sports.”
0 likes
“The city overwhelmed me. Every day I’d walk by hundreds of strangers, compete for space in crowded coffee shops, and stand shoulder to shoulder on packed subway cars. I’d scan profiles, learning that the woman waiting for the N enjoyed thrash-hop, and the barista at my local coffee shop loved salted caramel. I’d had a couple fleeting relationships, but mostly I’d spend weekends going to bars and sleeping with people who knew little more than my username. It all made me want to turn off my layers, go back to the old days, and stay disconnected. But you do that and you become another old guy buried in an e-reader, complaining about how no one sends emails anymore.” 0 likes