Start by marking “The Du Lac Chronicles (The Du Lac Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Du Lac Chronicles (The Du Lac Chronicles, #1)

The Du Lac Chronicles

(The Du Lac Chronicles #1)

Winner -- N.N.Light Award for Best Romance 2016.
Bronze Medal Winner -- Circle Of Books Rings Of Honor Awards 2016
Finalist -- The Golden Box Book Publishing Golden Book Award 2017

Paperback, 1, 318 pages
Published February 21st 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Du Lac Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Du Lac Chronicles

Start your review of The Du Lac Chronicles (The Du Lac Chronicles, #1)
N.N. Light
King Arthur (Pendragon) is long gone and Briton is shattered into warring kingdoms. King Cerdic of Wessex is determined to be high king of all kingdoms. He’s just defeated King Alden of Cerniw, son of Lancelot, and whipped him within an inch of his life. Death can’t come quick enough for Alden but then an angel rescues him on the eve of his execution.

Annis can’t stand by and watch her father butcher the man she’s loved for years. She sacrifices everything she’s ever known to save a man who does
William Stuart
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I read the blurb for The Du Lac Chronicles by Mary Anne Yarde, I figured I had to read the book. After all, who isn’t interested in Lancelot’s offspring!

Synopsis (from the author): “It is dangerous to become attached to a du Lac. He will break your heart, and you will not recover.” So prophesies a wizened healer to Annis, daughter of King Cerdic of Wessex. If there is truth in the old crone’s words, they come far too late for Annis, who defies father, king, and country to save the man she l
Beatrice Rivers
This book is one of the best ones I have ever read for a long time. I love how, although nearly everyone is against it, Alden follows his heart and chooses Annis, despite what anyone else thinks.

Although Alden and Annis are the main concerntration of the book, I must say that Merton is my favourite character, mostly because he can turn any situation into an amusing one, but also because he is full of bright ideas - not that they always work.

I highly recommend this book to anyone and I am eagerl
Ari Reavis
*Received from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*

I both liked and disliked this book. Weird, right?
So for the likes: History was always my favorite subject in school, so that part really appealed to me. I couldn't tell you how historically accurate the book is, but that was my favorite aspect of the book.
Trying to figure out if people were friends or foes was interesting as well. There was definitely a lot of betrayal and plotting going on. What kept me interested the most was wanting
Keith
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful meld of historical fiction, myth and romance. Alden’s kingdom lies in rubble. He has only one possession left worth saving: Annis. Alden has one hope: his brother Budic, King of Brittany, who could offer them sanctuary—but whether he will offer the same courtesy to Annis is far less certain. Right away, I had a good sense of the characters, which were well described and each had their own distinct personality (loved Merton). If you think this is just another Arthurian tale, you’re mi ...more
Keith Willis
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction isn’t one of my normal go-to genres. Ah, but when it’s historical fiction melded with (post)Arthurian legend, that’s a different kettle of dragons. MaryAnne Yarde’s The DuLac Chronicles is a telling of Britton after Arthur’s death, when the area has been divided up into numerous small kingdoms. Two of these are ruled by—ready for this?—the sons of Lancelot DuLac.

The tale opens with Alden DuLac, King of Cerniw, bested in battle by Cerdic of Wessex. Cerdic was a former ally, and
Melinda Howard
*This book was provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book was utterly Amazing!!!!!

I loved this book so much! I can honestly say that this is one of the best books I have ever read as it combined many of the elements I love. It had forbidden romance, daring heroes, a road trip, court intrigue, war, sword fights and a medieval time setting with horses, knights and honour.........what more could you want? This book was well written and I loved the main characters Alden and An
Tony Riches
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Anne Yarde’s new Dark Ages trilogy draws on the Anglo Saxon Chronicles for inspiration. An evocative, timeless saga of love and betrayal, it has rivalry and treachery enough for any ‘Game of Thrones’ aficionado. We follow the journey of two young lovers. Alden Du Lac is the defeated yet heroic former king who falls in love with Annis, beautiful daughter of his sworn enemy, the Saxon King Ceric of Wessex.

The brutal reality of life in ancient Britain is tempered with light touches of humour a
Angelina Kalahari
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A timeless gem.

Set at the time just after King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table were around, this is a wonderful story of Lancelot’s sons and what happens to them. In particular, the story focuses on Alden, who loses his kingdom to Cerdic, the cruel King of Wessex. Alden is taken captive and tortured, but saved by Annis, only daughter of Cerdic. As they run for their lives, they fall in love along their journey to seek help from Alden’s ambitious half-brother, Budic, King of Brittany.

I
Josef
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I simply could not put this book down. It captured my attention in the first page and kept me engaged throughout. Can not recommend this book enough.
Elizabeth Cole
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***Original review can be found at: http://www.nerdprobs.com/books/book-r...

**A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

I will read just about any genre as long as it looks like a good book. My usual “go to genres” are Historical Fiction, sometimes with a touch of romance but usually without, and Non-Fiction. So when I saw this book was a YA/Historical Fiction with a touch of Medieval History I just had to read it. The book certainly didn’
Diana Febry
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to historical fiction, YA romance fiction and adventure fiction fans.
The book is set in the fifth century in Southern Britain (Cornwall across to Brittany). Quite often when I read books set so far back in time I take a while to settle into the story. Not so with this one. From the first page I was firmly set in the time period, drawn into the story and ready to enjoy the read. Great opening chapter!
Disgusted by her oppressive family and desparing of her future arranged ma
Beth Hale
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
King Arthur is gone, the Saxons are making war, and Alden du Lac's execution is tomorrow. Before that can happen, the daughter of his enemy, Annis, rescues him. In a great twist, the only way Alden and Annis can communicate is by speaking Latin, the language of the departed Romans. Thus begins a fantastical journey through Dark Age Briton. We get to follow along on an adventure-filled journey to Alden's brother's kingdom in Brittany.

I enjoyed this book a great deal. I loved the accuracy of hist
Larry Shackelford
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book one of "The Du Lac Chronicles" is an outstanding historical fiction novel that is destined to be a classic! Ms. Yarde weaves an epic story of love, deception, and survival set in AD 495 Wessex, Briton. This is one of those books where you are hooked from the opening chapter and you can’t wait to discover what is going to happen next.

I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of this story. The main characters, Alden and Annis were the perfect couple. I found them to be very endearing and I adored th
Fiona  Cooke Hogan
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story begins with an escape- AD 495, Alden du Lac, young King of Cerniw is tied to a post, bleeding and broken and awaiting certain death. His kingdom is in ruin, his people dead and dying. Awaiting the arrival of the dawn and the axe he despairs until he is freed under cover of night by Annis, only daughter of the murderous Cerdic, King of Wessex- the man responsible for his downfall.

What follows is a fast paced tale of bravery, honour and love through the landscape of ancient Briton as A
R.M. Gilmour
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: repeat-read
This is one of those stories that stays with us, and we pass along to the younger generation, as we encourage them to read quality fiction. The writing is flawless and the story is timeless. The characters are well rounded and realistic; I was pulled into their world from page 1 and I didn’t want to leave.

Betrayed and hunted by Cerdic, King of Wessex, Alden and Annis race across the countryside, seeking sanctuary with Alden’s brother, the High King. Along the way, they discover and embrace thei
Olivia Wildenstein
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.
I picked up this book because of this review loop I'm taking part in. It's not a genre I usually read--since Outlander, I haven't read any historical fiction--but it is a genre I enjoy when the story and characters are well crafted. And this was the case here. Yarde weaves a beautiful tapestry using Arthurian myth as her backdrop. I truly liked this book. The only reason I took off half a star is because of the shifting POVs. Call me new-fashioned but I like staying with one character,
Jana Petken
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable historical novel/romance.

Other reviewers have fleshed out the story and plot lines, so I'll just say what I liked about the book.
It was fresh, entertaining, with a love story and medieval history, at its heart. The characters were engaging, and as a lover of history, I enjoyed the period and the author's authentic take on it.

It had all the ingredients of a great series, and I'll look forward to reading more of this story.
Nola
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful tale of Lancelot's sons, this book appears to be the beginning of a series to follow. The characters are very interesting and have enough depth to inspire their own book. Looking forward to more. If you like historical fiction, don't avoid this book just because it is listed as YA. It is great for all ages. ...more
Julie  Whitley
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I became immersed immediately in the perilous journey of Alden du Lac and Annis of Wessex. Their love story is beautifully told against the backdrop of treachery and betrayal in post Arthurian Britain. I could not stop turning pages until the end was reached. I highly recommend this first in a series.
Zoe Kirkby
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Captivating characters, historical fiction and page turning action. And so much more. I feel this book transcends the ages as young and old would enjoy its tales & characters. I love Annis; she has determination and is a strong female. Would recommend this book to anyone.
Astrid Arditi
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read! A perilous journey, friends that are foes and foes who are friends, and an epic love story... The legend of Lancelot lives again in this novel and through his fictional lineage for our greatest pleasure. Can't wait for the sequel! ...more
Secret  Realm Reviews&Services
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
J. White
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
Mary is a fantastic author, I think her books are incredible. I am hoping for a book 2.
Ana Beatriz Esteves
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review: The Du Lac Chronicles by Mary Anne Yarde
*The publisher provided this book in exchange for an honest review through NetGalley.*
Annis knew what she was getting into the day she decided to save her father's enemy from his cells and escape with him, she knew that becoming attached to a du Lac wasn't a good idea, is was a very bad idea indeed. The daughter of King Cerdic of Wessex is now stuck by the side of the one person she can't allow herself to love, but yet she loves him.
Alden du Lac wa
Grant Leishman
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
The Du Lac Chronicles by Mary Anne Yarde is not normally a book I would pick up immediately. I am a history buff, but books about The Dark Ages in Britain are often focused on the legendary Arthurian period and have been well chronicled by many authors and well read by me. The Du Lac Chronicles, though, is slightly different in the respect its time-period is post-Arthurian (just) and introduces a wide cast of characters who immediately grabbed my interest and attention.
The skill of the author i
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is a young adult, historical romance, set after Arthur and Lancelot. Alden is Lancelot's son and, at eighteen years of age, is King of Cerniw. However, he is King in name only as he has just had his fortress and country razed by Cedric. The story starts with him tied to a whipping post, facing death and generally not in the best of health! Annis is Cedric's daughter and makes the decision to save him, for reasons that you learn about as the story progresses.

Full of action, chases, betrayal
Kathy Gates
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alden du Lac is facing execution. For this king who has lost is kingdom, death can't come soon enough. But it isn't death that stops his suffering, it is Annis of Wessex, the daughter of his enemy. Annis has her reasons; she means to escape her repressive life, but more than that she is determined to save the life of the young man who has haunted her dreams. Their flight from danger is breathless, with many prepared to sacrifice life and limb for their king. Unfortunately those same subjects don ...more
Bill Ward
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of historical fiction and this is a great read! From the first couple of pages I was completely gripped. I loved the characters in this book. Major and minor characters were interesting and well depicted. Alden is a great hero in the tradition of Lancelot, who is in fact his father. Annis is the daughter of his enemy who saves his life and a love story develops. Alden has a great sense of humor which adds a light touch in places.
I loved the way the author weaved the fantasy of th
Laura Libricz
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. Set in England in the Middle Ages, it's an adventure / love story about Alden and Annis and their fight to be together in spite of their warring families. I'm really looking forward to book two! I'd recommend this for historical fiction lovers and it is suitable for a young adult audience. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Historical Fi...: The Du Lac Chronicles Discussion 2 8 Dec 27, 2018 01:57PM
The Historical Fi...: The Du Lac Chronicles Reviews 2 5 Dec 27, 2018 01:56PM

• War King (Hakon's Saga, #3)
  • Wedding Ghost (Haunted Everly After #6)
  • The Secrets of Saffron Hall
  • My Midlife Crisis, My Rules (Good To The Last Death, #4)
  • A Farewell to Charms (Down & Dirty Supernatural Cleaning Services #3)
  • Odin's Game (The Whale Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Hexes & Hot Flashes (The Oracle of Wynter #1)
  • Dead to Me (Grave Talker, #1)
  • Grime and Punishment (Down & Dirty Supernatural Cleaning Services #2)
  • Whiskey Kills (A Top Shelf Mystery)
  • Midlife Curses (Witching Hour, #1)
  • Hexing with a Chance of Tornadoes (Grimm Cove, #2)
  • The Grand Sophy
  • Spellcasting with a Chance of Spirits (Grimm Cove, #3)
  • Deceased and Desist (A Tallie Graver Mystery #3)
  • Sprig Muslin
  • It All Falls Down (Rose Gardner Investigations #7)
  • Bewitched (Betwixt & Between #2)
Mary Anne Yarde is the multi award-winning author of the International Bestselling Series — The Du Lac Chronicles. Set a generation after the fall of King Arthur, The Du Lac Chronicles takes you on a journey through Dark Age Britain and Brittany, where you will meet new friends and terrifying foes. Based on legends and historical fact, The Du Lac Chronicles is a series not to be missed.

Mary Anne i

The Du Lac Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Du Lac Devil: Book 2 of the Du Lac Chronicles
  • The Du Lac Princess (The Du Lac Chronicles, #3)
  • The Du Lac Prophecy (The Du Lac Chronicles, #4)
  • The Du Lac Curse (The Du Lac Chronicles, #5)