Start by marking “Espectros del capitalismo” as Want to Read:
Espectros del capitalismo

Espectros del capitalismo

La India es un país de mil doscientos millones de personas y es la «democracia» más grande del mundo, con más de 800 millones de votantes. Pero las 100 personas más ricas del país poseen activos que equivalen a una cuarta parte del Producto Interior Bruto. El resto de la población son fantasmas en un sistema más allá de su control. Millones de personas viven con menos de d ...more
120 pages
Published 2015 by Capitán Swing (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Espectros del capitalismo, please sign up.
Saurabh Singh Yes, this okay to be read for high school especially if you are interested in international affairs and want to explore the other side of capitalism.…moreYes, this okay to be read for high school especially if you are interested in international affairs and want to explore the other side of capitalism.

PS: I am a strong supporter of economic liberation. (less)

Praj
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roy
Roy brings nothing new to this book. It comes across as a collage of newspaper articles, a copy-paste of Roy’s own previous socio-political writings with may be slight references from the Foreign Affairs Journals or a Forbes Magazine. The befitting description would be this rather intriguing anecdote, during Roy’s book lecture held in 2012 at St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai.

Post her speech, a student, looking at Marxist books on sale outside the venue, summed up the evening: “Dude, I am a hardcore
Julie Ehlers
Since reading Leslie Chang's Factory Girls and Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers, I've been haunted by the way capitalism seems to be establishing itself in developing nations. In a nutshell: China and India seem to have vaulted right over the part of capitalism that's supposed to be about giving everyone an equal shot at economic success and moved directly into the part that's about the vast gulf between the insanely wealthy and the rest of us. I picked up Capitalism: A Ghost Story ...more
Fug o' Slavia
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buy this book for the person in your life who thinks ethical capitalism exists and is a fan of the Gates Foundation
Supreeth
'There’s a lot of money in poverty, and a few Nobel Prizes too.'
Saajid Hosein
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
capitalism is actual trash.
Sara Salem
Arundhati Roy is always great but somehow expected more from this. Perhaps it is meant for an audience who doesn't know about the problems with capitalism or in Kashmir.
Kevin
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep revisiting my review of Roy’s critique of capitalism using India as a case study, and the challenge of presenting abstraction to the general public. Here's an update on essential points to complement Roy's essay:

1. Capitalism is an economy dominated by privately-owned profit-seeking. This economy has several vital components neglected by market fundamentalists:

a) The labor market: where those who have no access to resources required for self-sustenance are required to sell their labor.
b
Lea
Incredibly depressing, but well worth the (brief) time and effort invested in reading, this should be considered a must-read. I was going to post a few quotes in my review, but there is something quotable on virtually every page. Very enlightening and troubling.
Antonomasia
Jun 19, 2015 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Antonomasia by: was £1 in Verso sale
You'd be better reading a review of this short book of essays from someone who lives in India, or who's actually been there. These are basically notes for myself, habitually posted as a GR review.
(I also tend to agree with the reviewer who said this epic title would have better suited a weightier tome than 100 pages of short essays.)

Some problems are, it seems, the same in many countries.
- According to government rhetoric, poor people can't do anything right. (Rural Indians are told to move to
Shadin Pranto
অরুনধতী রায় শোনাচছেন ধারালো নখ,দনতযুকত এক বিভীষিকার কাহিনি। আদতে এই অভিশাপ মঙগলের নাম, কলযাণের কথা বলে বেড়ায়। শানতির বারতাবাহকের রূপ নিতেও তার জুড়ি মেলা ভার। অরুনধতী রায়ের এই তমসাচছনন বিভীষিকা হলো পুঁজিবাদ। এনজিওর নামে, বযবসায়ের ছলে, বিভিনন ফাউনডেশনের ছদমবেশে বিশববযাপী আগরাসন চালায় পুঁজিবাদ। তবে এই বইতে পুরো বিশবকে মুখয করেন নি অরুনধতী রায়। ভারতের উননয়ন, লোকহিতকর কাজের নামে সরকার ঘাড়ে কীভাবে সওয়ার হয়েছে পুঁজিবাদ তারই বয়ান এই পুসতক। ভারতের পুঁজিবাদী বযবসথাকে অতযনত তীকষণভাবে বযবচছেদ করেছেন অরুনধতী ...more
Malcolm
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arundhati Roy is a fine essayist, and in this collection of work exploring the underbelly of India’s entry to global power status, its ‘gush up’ economic model and its brutal war in Kashmir she conjures up images and evokes the crimes of the new world order in the ‘world’s largest democracy’ to great effect. In doing so, she walks a fine line between presenting contemporary, voraciously capitalist India with its huge inequalities of wealth, its brutal suppression of dissent and its self-aggrandi ...more
Subashini
Brief and eye-opening. My main issue was that it was too short. I flipped the page for more and was like, What.

It's a collection of linked essays and she writes about complex political issues with clarity. Sometimes this can come off a little basic but it's a solid primer for people who want to know more about the politics that inform her second novel. This is essentially the nonfiction version of it.

I found the sections on the increasingly far-right Indian security state & Kashmir especia
Alison
This was pretty damn amazing. Eye opening, enraging, informative, and well-written, Roy destroys modern India as well as subtle worldwide issues such as the creeping corporate takeovers of government and services (her takedown of the rise of NGOs is terrific and utterly depressing, and I truly did not understand the concept of corporate foundations and she elucidated that perfectly - but also left me depressed). She speaks with power and presence and writes with clearheaded anger.

My only quibble
Mehrsa
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bleak polemic against capitalism, but mostly against non-profits and foreign aid in India. It is a good read, but it is more a lament than a history or analysis.
A.H. Haar
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tea Partiers and the GOP.
Shelves: by-women, essay, favorites
It is difficult for me talk about writers I like, even more so when their words are as powerful as these.

Arundhati Roy comes in with this book like a wrecking crew, but with finesse and craft. Everything I loved about her work in The God of Small Things is here, even in a non fiction politico-economic commentary. I guess what I mean is that this book, though it is about things like politics and GDP, is yet compelling and glorious to read. Even the comments in the footnotes were worthwhile.

In C
Seph Mozes
this book is very fact-dense and as someone with next to no understanding of contemporary south asian politics i found it difficult to keep track of all the acronyms and names. but her central thesis, that capitalism fuels inequality, creates a demand for war, and causes governments (in collusion with private interests) to repress their own people who protest, is very clear. it made me want to learn more about the indian-pakistani-kashmiri conflict. she also cites the occupy movement as a beacon ...more
Ryan Bell
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful, hard hitting description of the consequences of unfettered capitalism, combined with American-inspired imperialism running roughshod over the Indian subcontinent. Arundhati Roy is a courageous woman with an incisive insight into global inequality, its causes and solutions. Amazing collection of essays.
Miki Herscovici
God, what a manifest of unsubstantiated data and conspiracy theories. I concede, the situation in India is probably far from being any good, and inequality is definitely a huge problem, but to dump everything on capitalism? I'm sorry but this sounds very similar to the revolutionary propaganda that brought Russia 70+ years of utter misery.
Emily
I was unfamiliar with much of the context of this book (definitely written around Occupy though), which I think limited my understanding. But that also means it pushed me out of my myopia and focused my vision somewhere new.
Andy
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really like anything I've read before. this essay is like if a pop political history book and a longform poem had a baby.

It was sort of all over the place, but everything evoked the same feeling and operated in the same general topic (recent Indian politics and history). Not a bad read though.
NancyHelen
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arundhati Roy is a courageous and cutting writer. Although most of us know her from her Booker Prize Winning novel, I've read that her political writing is even better. I thought I would start out with this small book of essays, and the accolades are worth it. Like many political books nowadays, the facts that Roy lays out about her native India are chilling, whether she is discussing poverty, inequality, climate change, corruption or religious wars. The only failing in this book was myself, the ...more
tom bomp
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a (sadly) very short collection of some of roy's essays on India. I'm ashamed to admit that apart from some vague knowledge of a few bits and pieces i basically knew shit about the situation in India before reading this so I'm just becoming aware of how much i don't know and can't make comments on accuracy or comprehensiveness. but it's a great introduction to some of the issues at stake. roy is a powerful and clear writer who never lets up in her criticism of the government. she's not exactly a ...more
Savir  Husain Khan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bookends with a conclusive note, An end to cross-ownership in businesses. For example weapons manufacturers cannot own TV stations, mining corporations cannot run newspapers, business houses cannot fund universities, drug companies cannot control public health funds.
Natural resources and essential infrastructure—water supply, electricity, health, and education—cannot be privatized.
Everybody must have the right to shelter, education, and healthcare.
And The children of the rich cannot inherit thei
Scott Neigh
Can't decide if I'm going to do a proper review of this or not. I had hoped it would be filled with that subset of Roy's writing that might be described as lyrical anti-capitalism, and it had a little of that, but it was mostly polemical anti-capitalism...so, not quite what I was looking for, but still really powerful stuff. Some had a bit of a global perspective, while much of it was specifically about how global capitalism and resistance to it are playing out in the Indian context. I think it ...more
Bobby
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My lack of knowledge of Indian history and politics inhibited my understanding but reading this concise and passionate book I was left with two challenges. First, the power of corporate "foundations". It's a topic that I rarely consider outside of election seasons, but the global reach and influence of groups such as the Ford Foundation, Coca-Cola, and the one cropping up from India's most wealthy is extensive. Secondly, once again I'm faced with the consequences of the US's exportation of capit ...more
Anosh
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing set of essays. Every single one of them was highly informative and enlightening. I ended up reading the book multiple times. And, of course, the prose is beautiful and witty, as you expect from Roy.

I wish Naomi Klein and Arudhanti Roy would collaborate to write a book on the religious fundamentalism that I believe filled the vacuum left by the Leftist movement.
Puri Kencana Putri
A nightmare called capitalism. Arundhati Roy writes extensively on how capitalism could work hand in hand with democracy, benevolent dictatorship, private ownerships in which have limited our participation, what so called as the 99% to enjoy the entitlement of just human rights. Worth reading for anyone of you who truly engage in the issues.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this concise book one would get to learn about a different perspective of looking at things, or looking through them. Very relevant to what is happening in India today. The writing is crisp and compelling. The points are made passionately. I feel everyone must read it.
Darran Mclaughlin
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, india, politics
A very interesting, very short read. I'm a bit embarrassed that this is the first Roy book I've read. I really need to read the God of Small Things. I would say that the title and blurbs suggested that this would be a very different book to what it actually is ('A Communist Manifesto for the Twenty-First Century Anti-Capitalists' Sunday Herald), but it's short and engaging enough that it didn't matter to me. The book is focused upon development, class struggle and the imposition of Neo-Liberal c ...more
Rochelle
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political-theory
Another excellent collection from the esteemed Arundhati Roy. I can't tell you how much I adore her writing and her biting criticism of the corruptions of the Indian government and global elite.
I particularly enjoyed her assessment of NGOs and how they're influenced and controlled by these massive corporations whose best interests are to subvert activists into something that will not threaten them or their interests.
"...some do remarkable, radical work, and it would be a travesty to tar all NGO
  • Empire of Capital
  • ECONned: How Unenlightened Self Interest Undermined Democracy and Corrupted Capitalism
  • Perilous Power: The Middle East & US Foreign Policy
  • Gray's Anatomy: Selected Writings
  • The Essential Keynes
  • Strike for America: Chicago Teachers Against Austerity
  • Red Rosa: A Graphic Biography of Rosa Luxemburg
  • The Myth of Meritocracy: Why Working-Class Kids Still Get Working-Class Jobs (Provocations)
  • How Did We Get into This Mess?: Politics, Equality, Nature
  • Democracy and Other Neoliberal Fantasies: Communicative Capitalism and Left Politics
  • And the Weak Suffer What They Must?  Europe's Crisis and America's Economic Future
Arundhati Roy is an Indian writer who is also an activist who focuses on issues related to social justice and economic inequality. She won the Booker Prize in 1997 for her novel, The God of Small Things, and has also written two screenplays and several collections of essays.

For her work as an activist she received the Cultural Freedom Prize awarded by the Lannan Foundation in 2002.

“Do we need weapons to fight wars? Or do we need wars to create markets for weapons?” 14 likes
“Capitalism is destroying the planet. The two old tricks that dug it out of past crises--War and Shopping--simply will not work.” 6 likes