Start by marking “Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast” as Want to Read:
Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast

Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast

'It would be unfair to expect other people to be as remarkable as oneself'.

Wilde's celebrated witticisms on the dangers of sincerity, duplicitous biographers, the stupidity of the English - and his own genius.

One of 46 new books in the bestselling Little Black Classics series, to celebrate the first ever Penguin Classic in 1946. Each book gives readers a taste of the Clas
Paperback, Little Black Classics #119, 52 pages
Published March 3rd 2016 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast, please sign up.
emil The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, The Ballad of Reading Gaol, and An Ideal Husband are his best, to be honest. :)

Clara
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, non-fiction
Oscar Wilde is funny as he is clever and arrogant. I may have fallen in love with him.
emma
(tearfully) I did it.

Book 3 of BookTube-a-thon is complete!! Prompt: Read an entire book outside.

I literally hated every second of it. The being-outside, not the book. Nature is the worst. I got quite truly eaten alive by bugs, and I'm of the firm belief that if you get bitten by something then you should turn into something cool. When you get bitten by a vampire, you become a vampire. When you get bitten by a radioactive exotic spider in a lab, because the spider escaped its cage/prison even th
Elena
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like if Oscar Wilde had Twitter.
Zerah
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Pure genius. This is something you should read again and again throughout your life.
thelostlibrary
I love Oscar Wilde. I thought this would be a short story but it's just full of quotes and quips, which were delightful. He's such a drama queen
Malia
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Delightful! Oscar Wilde was as opinionated as they come, but he had a sense of humor:-)

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Kasa Cotugno
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandmother had several hilarious sayings that she would trot out whenever appropriate (e.g., "I can resist anything but temptation;" "Nobody has as much fun as people.") I always thought she was one of the funniest people on earth and then found out she had mostly cribbed her best shots from Oscar Wilde. This little black book is a collection of his bon mots, a good reference work if you wish to appear witty and perceptive until somebody else gets hold of the book in which case you'll be so ...more
Piret Pert
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Brilliant selection! My long-time favourite Wilde quote: "The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated." And of course: “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” I can go on and on.
Becky
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics-read
I'd have preferred to read one of Wilde's short stories than simply a book of his quotes. He's certainly a wise and thoughtful man, with an overwhelming passion for art. He also comes across as quite arrogant at times, though. While it's impossible to deny his brilliance, there are moments when you begin to wonder if it is necessary for him to be so pessimistic all the time.

This was a quick read, and not entirely awful, but it's by no means the best that the Little Black Classics collection ha
Florencia
A delightfully hateful blend of wit and arrogance.

It would be unfair to expect other people to be as remarkable as oneself.

Art only begins where imitation ends...
As with personality.

How marriage ruins a man! It's as demoralizing as cigarettes, and far more expensive.
Demoralizing. Right back atcha, buddy.

I wonder who it was defined man as a rational animal. It was the most premature definition ever given. Man is many things, but he is not rational.

One is tempted to define man as a rational
Karina Read
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a great little book of Oscar Wilde quotes. Poignant at times, hilarious at times, there is a great mix in here and I had my pen out underlining words that resonate with me. I can’t give more than three stars as it is what it is: a book of quotes. There’s no depth, no exploration, but i didn’t expect there to be. It will never be someone’s favourite book in the world, but it’s a great insight into an interesting man.
Marta Martín Amor
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Wilde would be the king of Twitter.
Eduardo Brito
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-books
As a book it is not widely interesting. The really interesting thing about it is that it is a collection of thoughts put together by Oscar Wilde and written beautifully. It has some really nice phrases in it. He knew how to write and write well and his sense of humour and bitterness is just like listening to The Smiths but in book form.

Everyone should have a look at these musings by Wilde but don't think of it as a book; think of it as a glossary where you go to find new ways to insult people an
Dawnie
a little book full of quotes by wilde.

one after the other without any connections or explanations of how or why they were said.

which is not really bad i just wish i would have known that it isn’t anything but quotes before i bought it since i am not someone that needs a little booklet filled with them.

but it was an interesting read for the night and wilde certainly was an interesting person with interesting things to say not always good, necessary or true in any sense but still entertaining.

al
Smitha Murthy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
"Married life is merely a habit, a bad habit." Quotes like this make me fall in love with Oscar darling all over again. An absolutely delightful collection of some of Wilde's most celebrated witticisms. You can't help but chuckle, grin, and smile your way through this little book.
Sabina Manolache
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
What can I say, a cute gathering of quotes of Oscar Wilde. He can be funny, he can be arrogant. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt.
Muthuvel
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, short
"Are there not books that can make us live more in one single hour than life can make us live in a score of shameful years?"
Melania 🍒
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3,95/5

Oh, Oscar...
Vivi
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like Oscar Wilde and he was really witty and intelligent. I would have gladly given this 5 stars but some of his thoughts on women and marriage made me cringe. However his thoughts on education (and everything else) were really great!
Sofia
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-in-english
the commandments of Oscar Wilde, expert in sass
Anette
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, classics
I just adore Wilde and his wit.
Dina Batista
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Prayer must never be answered: if it is, it ceases to be prayer and becomes correspondence." "The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated."
Um pequeno livro com frases de Oscar Wilde, carregadas de sarcasmo, humor, ditos espirituosos acerca da estupidez inglesa e um louvor ao seu próprio génio. Uma pequena maravilha que me deixou com um sorriso nos lábios.
Bridget
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this collection and has made me more interested in learning about Oscar Wilde. I read a picture of dorian grey so I already knew his viewpoint on most topics I appreciate all of them but the ones about marriage and some about women but I understand that these are from the 19th century about 150+ years ago and a lot has changed (thank god)
Ysabel
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Wilde is witty and hilarious, and this compilation of some of his wisest words is so enjoyable to read. It's short and snappy, and anyone who reads it will definitely take something away from Wilde's genius. My favourite quote is “Anybody can have common sense, provided that they have no imagination.”
Chloe (thelastcolour)
I absolutely adore Oscar Wilde and some of the quotes in this book touched my heart, it was good but i guess i expected something different? Oh well, at least this is an extra book to go towards my goodreads challenge this year!
Hannah Lewis
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Just a book of quotes which are taken out of context, but I can't really complain because it was only £1.
Marcus Lagré
Penguins Little Black Classics is a brilliant idea. Short, bitesize books of literary classics at a very low price. The problem with the execution of this idea is, on the other hand, that some of these books are utterly worthless.

In a time when book publishers have to compete with the internet, and all its content and ease of access, the publishers have to be better than the internet.

For example, the Edgar Allen Poe compilation The Tell-Tale Heart presents three of Poe’s most important short sto
Marcella
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an absolutely lovely little collection. The Penguin Little Black Classic 'Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast' by Oscar Wilde is exactly what it says on the tin; a collection of Wilde at his wisest, funniest and critical moments.

" I am one of those for are made for exceptions, not for laws."

He crosses themes like art, England and the British people, the meaning of life, friendship and his time in prison. It's touching but also made me giggle quite a lot. He's just the definition of
Will
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful selection of aphorisms and witticisms from the inimitable Oscar Wilde. This tiny edition made for some excellent early-morning-commute-reading for a week in Bangkok's hottest month.

Thanks for all the chuckles, Oscar.
Diana H.
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted more than quotations really....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Lips Too Chilled
  • The Great Fire of London
  • The Eve of St. Agnes
  • My Life Had Stood a Loaded Gun
  • Caligula (The Lives of the Twelve Caesars #4)
  • The Fall of Icarus
  • A Slip under the Microscope
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more
“Anybody can have common sense, povided that they have no imagination” 10 likes