Start by marking “The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow (Dictation Mastery for PC and Mac)” as Want to Read:

Want to dictate up to 5000 WORDS an hour? Want to do it with 99% ACCURACY from the day you start?
FREE video training included!

As writers, we all know what an incredible tool dictation software can be. It enables us to write faster and avoid the dangers of RSI and a sedentary lifestyle. But many of us give up on dictating when we find we can't get the accuracy we need
Published February 18th 2016 by Ashe Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon

Start your review of The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow (Dictation Mastery for PC and Mac)
Ankita Singh
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Informative

I learned a few tips and tricks through this book and also what works and how much I should expect from Dragon. It was short and to the point.
Kenny Soward
May 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've been in and out of dictation for some time, starting and stopping many times. Now, back into it, I'm sticking with it (right?). There's a lot here I did not use or already knew (versions, technical details) but there are also some very valuable tips and tricks here I would never have thought of, little tweaks to make the overall experience much more accurate, and better.

I hope to make more progress over the next few weeks and months using some of the tips in this book.
TM
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extremely helpful

The section regarding setting up the options is very helpful -- I don't know how long it might have been before I had found those settings on my own, or even realized I needed them.

This is a good guide to getting up and running dictating. Many other guides emphasize productivity of word count possible by dictating, but this book takes the approach of getting you started so you can have success right away.
Kristen Ethridge
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short and to the point

A quick read that is very to the point with tricks on how to make it easy and efficient to use Dragon. I especially appreciate the key points called out in bullets at the end of chapters so they can be easily found for future reference..
Darlene Hull
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Terrific book for those of you starting out with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which I've had to learn due to Repetitive Stress Injury. Great place to start, great tips and ideas. Well worth the read. ...more
Aidan McCormack
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Great information regarding Dragon and why to use dictation, though could've been left to a blog post.
While it really sold me on how powerful a tool dictation can be (and after using dictation on Google docs, I can only imagine how powerful Dragon can be when trained) it gave no examples or tips on how to dictate or ways to begin dictation. Like a negligent father, the book suggests you'll "just learn it like your fingers learnt to type."

Wow, thanks Dad.

That being said, I really am sold on dict
Stan James
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is one of those books that sets out to do one thing, in this case guide you through using voice dictation with Nuance's Dragon software to improve your writing output. And author Scott Baker succeeds in providing a concise, clear and confident set of advice, covering everything from set up to hardware recommendations, the common pitfalls to avoid and more.

A lot of the advice also applies in general terms to using any kind of voice dictation, though Baker as much admits that Dragon is the on
Bradley Charbonneau
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Only read this book if you want to improve your author career.

“Read the manual. “Deep down, you know you should always read the manual. It will make whatever you’re doing easier, more efficient, and more effective.

This is the manual if you want a better experience with Dragon dictation.

If you want to see writing efficiency rates you currently own only dream about or you’d like to give your fingers, wrists and arms a break from typing. Maybe your back is killing you. Maybe you’d like to turn that
Wendy S. Delmater
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very useful book for those who want to learn to use Dragon dictation software. I recommend you read it first, to avoid any unnecessary mistakes both in the set up and the learning curve and execution of using the software.

Scott Baker knows what he's about in this guide, and he warns you of the pitfalls of buying the wrong dictation microphone (it should have a USB port plug and not simply the kind you have for earbuds). He shows you how to check your sound levels before you use it, how
Terri
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really useful book for understanding the intricacies and practicalities of dictation using Dragon. After being recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hand, it's been really important for me to look at other options for sustainability, productivity and writing. This book covers technical and practical advice. It's really useful information for just knowing how dictation works to get moving on sustainable writing habits to improve creativity and productivity. I listened to it as an audiobo ...more
S.B. James
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I got this book to supplement his other, shorter book because this is the one that really encouraged me to finally make the leap to dictation!
Writers spend a lot of time hunched over a keyboard, squinting at a laptop screen, and this is not particularly healthy. Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium software, with all its little fits and starts, is truly the most powerful option available to help us break out of that situation of being chained to the keyboard. And Baker is quite correct
Tim Seabrook
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sacha Black
I'm an aspiring writer and while I have good typing skills there are times that I wish I could export my thoughts directly to the page.

This book helps writers of all levels move from the slower keyboard entry to the faster speaking method by learning techniques to make dictation work efficiently and effectively and make Nuance's dragon software work better for you.

There are loads of tips which allow you to get the software running to its best performance, including things that you should avoid d
Karen
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and useful book. I'm glad I read it before opening my software package.

I bought this book along with the home version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and a fairly cheap headset. But the author pitches a terrific argument on getting the Premium version instead because this version has the transcription option -- you don't have to be tied to your computer to use Dragon. Instead, with a smartphone or voice recorder you can dictate anywhere, then later transfer it to Dragon. The author's idea of g
Eric Huffbind
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Short and simple instructions on what to buy, and how to set Dragon up. Scott gives you clear understandings of what it takes hardware wise, in order to achieve the most accuracy from your software. Also, of key importance, is that you come away with the knowledge that you are using dictation to get to your first draft more quickly. He teaches you what are the MOST important commands to use the product, and that it’s not necessary to learn to do every bell and whistle Dragon offers. It’s simply ...more
Barbara Hamilton
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Encouraging excellent book on Dictation

I have used dictation in the past but need to develop an ongoing habit of doing so. This book covers the use of Nuance’s Dictation software on Windows and Apple machine in great detail. It is pragmatic guide to using dictation to encourage mainly authors to increase their output dramatically. There are other Dictation softwares out there but the do not compare favorably with Nuance’s offering. The emphasis is on the adoption and use of the tool ...almost er
Christopher Armani
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scott Baker's tips for getting the most out of Dragon are required reading for any author using this software. I've owned Dragon for many years, but until I read this book I did not understand why the software wasn't working for me. Thanks to his simple explanations of how to train Dragon properly, my faith in this software is completely renewed and I'm getting great accuracy almost immediately. Well worth every penny. ...more
Joshua Chadd
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Info to Get Started Dictating!

This book was just what I needed to know before starting to use Dragon. It covered everything I needed to get started and to keep dictating and how to get the best accuracy with the program. I highly recommended it for anybody looking to use Dragon to dictate, or if you're thinking about dictating.
Scott
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Helpful, but basic

I'm not sold on the pro/premier versions of Dragon like Baker is. I get stuff transcribed through another service. His free follow-up was more helpful to me. But if you've never done any audio work with your computer before, this will help a lot.
Liz Wood
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I wanted

I'm excited to tackle writing, but with a slight twist now: I like the dictation concept, but of more importance to me is the idea that formatting comes in editing. I think I've always tried to produce final results in the first draft. Now to change...
Liza Street
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Loved it, super helpful. This book goes into a lot of detail on which accessories to buy, how to set up the software, and how to work with it to achieve better accuracy. I'm not a tech person, but I could understand this. I'm really excited--and a lot more confident--about working with Dragon. ...more
Andrew Hall
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pointless. The software does not work (at least the the basic version I bought didn't), so any "guides" are useless. The book itself wallowed in the quality of microphones, but offered precious little actual help in getting the software to function properly, or how to use it efficiently. ...more
Sue Jeffrey
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very useful book!

A short but excellent book for authors on the essentials of setting up Dragon dictation software. At the back of the book are useful links to videos and other content. Highly recommended.
Ajmatarazza
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a.j.sez

I not type of writer this book was geared. I use Dragon several hrs a day, emails a and various correspondence. I've learned a great deal from this book and I highly recommend it for anybody especially if they're just getting started or if they plan on writing a book.
Roland Clarke
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't read this straight from cover but rather used it to dip in and out of as a guide to getting Dragon working for me - step by step. The book did the trick and got me started. Plus, it now lives on my desk as an essential piece of reference when I need it. ...more
Dale
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected but it did give you a few clues to what mics to buy. I was wondering about the actual dictating and how to dictate punctuation and make corrections but there was very little on that.
Alicia Scarborough
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

A brilliant guide to getting started with dictation and transcription for the software Dragon. The author provides several useful tips to get you started on dictation. If you’ve never dictated before then give this guide a try and take note of his recommendations.
Bill Tillman
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scott has written several books on Dragon and all are great reference works!
Matt
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to using what I learned in this book and applying it to Dragon .
Jeff Adams
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational and invaluable to get me started on the dictation path.
Julie Helling
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Straightforward guide

Contains lots of useful information about Dragon for both mac and windows. I wish it had explained more about the mobile Dragon version though.
Basic Arrhythmia Recognition Training (BART) 1 1 Apr 02, 2020 04:21AM

• 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Fool Proof Dictation: A No-Nonsense System for Effective & Rewarding Dictation
  • On Being a Dictator: Using Dictation to Be a Better Writer (Million Dollar Writing Series)
  • Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
  • Dictate Your Book: How To Write Your Book Faster, Better, and Smarter (Growth Hacking For Storytellers)
  • The Power of Dictation (Empowering Productivity, #1)
  • The 8-Minute Writing Habit: Create a Consistent Writing Habit That Works With Your Busy Lifestyle (Growth Hacking For Storytellers)
  • X-Force by Benjamin Percy, Vol. 1
  • Unicorn Western
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer, Vol. 3: Lifetime Achievement
  • Paused to Prolific
  • Never Mind
  • The Redeemed Captive Returning to Zion
  • English Grammar and Composition: Third Course
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
Scott Baker has written dozens of books under various pen names and spent most of the last decade working as a freelance writer for numerous publications in the UK. He first began dabbling with Dragon voice recognition software in the late 1990s when it was, quite frankly, terrible. Things have improved dramatically since then and Scott now uses dictation on a daily basis, taking advantage of the ...more

News & Interviews