Start by marking “Projekt 1065: A Novel of World War II” as Want to Read:
Projekt 1065: A Novel of World War II

Projekt 1065: A Novel of World War II

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  7,998 ratings  ·  1,227 reviews
Infiltrate. Befriend. Sabotage.

World War II is raging. Michael O'Shaunessey, originally from Ireland, now lives in Nazi Germany with his parents. Like the other boys in his school, Michael is a member of the Hitler Youth.

But Michael has a secret. He and his parents are spies.

Michael despises everything the Nazis stand for. But he joins in the Hitler Youth's horrific games
Published October 11th 2016 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Projekt 1065, please sign up.
Jacob It is great and our school actually talked to Alan Gratz the author

·  7,998 ratings  ·  1,227 reviews

Start your review of Projekt 1065: A Novel of World War II
Emma
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wow, this was absolutely terrible. If I could give this zero or negative stars, I would. It's possible zero or negative stars is a bit unfair due to my high expectations for this book from reading Prisoner B-3087 by the same author. However, given the lack of character development, the lack of believability, and general poor writing, I think zero stars is actually quite fair.

I think the author thought that he was writing the screenplay for a spy-action movie. A bad spy-action movie, complete wit
Josh Girard
This book was interesting through out and made me wonder a lot. One of the things that were weird was how Hitler even thought of doing this to the jewish.
Susan
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Alan Gratz has written another intense novel filled with twists and turns that will keep readers hooked to the very end. I could not put it down!
Claude's Bookzone
An action packed, tension filled WWII novel aimed at middle school and younger high school Readers. I enjoyed this one a lot more than Allied because the young James Bond vibe made for an entertaining adventure. Readers will be treated to a mash up of a lot of WWII elements. I think it is important for young Readers to listen to the author's notes at the end as it gives the historical context for this fictional story. The difficulties Michael faced blending in with his fellow Hitler Youth whilst ...more
Shelli
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Extremely disappointed in this book. I understand that there are "pieces" of truth embedded in this story. But this story is so unbelievable. It reads like a James Bond movie under the most unlikely parameters. Not credible at all, at least for an adult reader. A huge fan of Prisoner B 3087, I was so excited for the release of this book. While I read it in one day, it was because I knew I needed to read it- and get it over with so I could read a different book. One of my students loved it, so I ...more
RaquelP2
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ford
Feb 01, 2019 added it
BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST BOOK EVER BEST ...more
Daniel H.
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing I love the story and the characters. Next stop REFUGEE!!!!
Abby Chaput
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! I was unable to put it down and read it in 2 days. When I first opened it, the book cut straight to the action, while still giving background to the story. Halfway through it continued to keep me in suspense and still reading, unlike some other books I have read. When I got to the end I thought I had the whole book figured out. But then everything just flipped on its head and I had to sit for 10 minutes to process what happened. Overall I recommend this book to anyon ...more
Emily
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tween Irish James Bond wins WWII for the Allies with his unbelievably awesome sleuthing skills. Reads like a bad spy movie that takes itself very seriously in its demand that the reader entirely suspend disbelief. Projekt 1065 loves to recap things that JUST HAPPENED in a way that's not unlike the use of slow motion special effects in the aforementioned bad spy movie.
Carolyn
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the few children’s books I’ve read that I would go out of my way to encourage adults to read as well.

This book is so exciting for an advanced middle-school reader. I loved the quick pace and couldn’t stop reading it at times! With non-stop action throughout the book, I feel like more adult authors can learn from Alan Gratz! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Lucy Carroll
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Megan
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful novel. It combines the best of adventure/spy genre with real historical events. I particularly like how Gratz focuses on the brain washing of the Hitler Youth. This is an important book for youth and one I hope graces many classrooms and libraries.
Abigail
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Projekt 1065 by Alan Gratz, a work of historical fiction. I have always liked learning about history, especially World War II, so I found this book very engrossing. Projekt 1065 follows an Irish boy named Michael, living in Berlin in 1943, during the Holocaust and World War II. Michael joins the Hitler Youth, like most young boys did in Germany at the time. However, unlike the other boys, he is a spy. Michael's parents, who are also spies, are living in Berlin, and becoming fri ...more
Matthew
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly captivating. It is about a 13 year old Irish boy in 1943 in Nazi Germany. But he has a secret, a big secret. He his father and mother are spies for the Allies. He is also part of the Hitler Youth. Then he befriends a boy named Fritz so he can come to his house to memorize plans for Projekt 1065. The plans are that the Nazis are making a new plane. A jet fighter. Now he has to get the plans to the Allies with the help of a British pilot and his mother and father.
Oscar Del
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel was really cool just because it takes place in world war II but with a kid going undercover to find Nazi plans. but on his job doing that Michael meets a friend named Fritz and they try to join the Nazi's together and succeed joining them. (view spoiler) ...more
Toni Rose Deanon
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A different perspective of WW2, I learned more about Irish spies during this time period. It is told through a young boy's (13 y/o) perspective who has a photogenic memory and has to make decisions that are way beyond his age and experience. He is part of Hitler's Youth and the reader will gauge a glimpse of how the young men act and what they truly believe in. The ending kept me on the edge of my seat, and the story had a plot that was well written. So good! So so good!
Jennifer Mangler
A bit of a disappointment. Gratz does a good job of conveying the fear people who didn't agree with the Nazis must have felt, with every word and action being scrutinized by everyone around them. He also shows what happens to kids when they're raised with only Nazi propaganda - some of those kids were terrifying. But the overblown spy plot was a bit too much and, in the end, it sank the book.
Tommy89
this book was about a Irish spy pretending to be part of a group called the Hitler youth. He has to get these plans to the allies to get them to be able to stop this type of airplane by making some of there own.
s o p h i a L.
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book with looks of action, making it feel more modern/recent than historical fiction.
Eric
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so awesome! As I was reading it, I felt as if a WWII movie was playing in my mind!
Mars Miller
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Great novel and wonderfully written. This author's other books are fabulous as well.
Whitney
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it

Michael O'Shaunessey is 13 years old and in Hitler's Youth. The thing is, he's not committed to Hitler-he and his parents, Irish ambassadors, are spies. Michael befriends a weak boy at school after he's ruthlessly attacked. The two of them start training together, to work on their separate weaknesses-Michael has a fear of heights, and Fritz cannot fight- in order to advance in to the SRD.

Michael has a photographic memory which serves him well as a spy. Fritz has shown him plans for a jet fighter
Greyson Brousil
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anita
A thriller that Gratz fans will devour, but not entirely believable.
Provides insight to the propaganda, nationalism, and brutality used to influence kids to join and climb the ranks of Hitler Youth in the later years of WWII.
Grady
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book. Exciting, suspenseful. However, it has too quick of an ending. Great book overall though. It asleep really shows what the Hitler Youth was like. Bullies and terribly raised kids forced to fight on front lines. Amazing book!
Torey
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Junior fiction read. Projekt 1065 is about a 13 yr old boy son of Irish ambassador to Germany during WWII. crazy retelling of the German side of the war. Definitely eye opening and chilling retelling of the events thru the eyes of German boys. kids as young as 11 were recruited as Hilter youth. good read. add to list of must reads for my son when he gets a bit older.
Dylan G
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i think it was what i was looking for a great book i would recommend it to many people i think they would like this book it was very detailed and it had a lot of great words!!
Katie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Middle grade historical fiction is awesome and I love Alan Gratz. He does a great job with a fast paced plot. I wish there were some slower parts and more down time though. It's fast all of the time and you never get a rest. But this was great. It's not as good as Refugee though. I'm excited to read all of his other books though.
Donna
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a Young Adult novel about Irish spies living in Nazi Germany during WWII. The main characters are Irish parents and their young son. The son had an opportunity to spy on a friend's dad with the role of the parents in the background. I liked that this was NOT graphic. Horrible things did happen, but it wasn't presented in a 'shock & awe' format. I'm not the target audience for this, but I found this age appropriate for kids. So 4 stars. I enjoyed this one. ...more
MSM Sophomore Eng...: Project 1065 Part 2 2 7 Dec 13, 2019 08:29AM

• Don't Tell the Nazis
  • Live in Infamy
  • Saving Red
  • The Boy Who Dared
  • Conspiracy (The Plot to Kill Hitler #1)
  • Lifeboat 12
Alan Gratz was born and raised in Knoxville, TN, home of the 1982 World's Fair. After a carefree but humid childhood, Alan attended the University of Tennessee, where he earned a College Scholars degree with a specialization in creative writing, and later, a Master's degree in English education.
In addition to writing plays, magazine articles, and a few episodes of A&E's City Confidential, Alan has

News & Interviews

“I had managed to scare even the monsters, and when you can scare monsters, you can be sure you've become one yourself.” 8 likes
“Michael, it's terrible to say so, but sometimes you have to weigh the cost of one man's life against the value of an entire operation.” 5 likes