Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

(Harry Potter #2)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  2,392,649 ratings  ·  45,728 reviews
Prepare to be spellbound by Jim Kay’s dazzling full-colour illustrations in this stunning new edition of J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Breathtaking scenes, dark themes and unforgettable characters – including Dobby and Gilderoy Lockhart – await inside this fully illustrated edition. With paint, pencil and pixels, award-winning illustrator Jim Kay ...more
Hardcover, US Illustrated Edition, 272 pages
Published October 4th 2016 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published July 2nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Λίζα
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mariya Joseph He doesn't pick it up or anything he sort of some how flips the books and parchment to look at it or turns it without touching it

·  2,392,649 ratings  ·  45,728 reviews

Start your review of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)
Zoë
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” CHILLS.

(REREAD)

Okay DUH 5/5 stars. I actually liked this book more than I remembered! This used to be my least favorite of the Harry Potter books and, while that still might be true, I was more entertained than I expected! I always forget how different Book Ginny is from Movie Ginny (way better all around) and how she has such a bigger role in the books than the films.

NOW ONTO HP AND THE/> ...more
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JK Rowling really knows how to write a great book, thats for sure! Although this wasn't my favorite book in the series, it definitely wasn't because it was bad. I loved the plot and conflict, even though it wasn't as intense as the others were. I was definitely shocked at the end...so epic and mind blowing!
Lily C
I'm quite hyped to keep reading this series, The wizarding world is definitely an interesting one..

Watch my review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Fk5...
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I love this book, of course I do, but the fact remains that this book prominently featured two of my most hated Harry Potter characters. Ginny Weasley and Dobby. There, I said it. I hate them both. In my Harry Potter hate list, Ginny and Dobby probably rank somewhere below Umbridge and Peter Pettigrew. Yeah, you heard me. I hate them that much.

The reason I hate Ginny is---well, never mind. I don't want to start another shipping war here, the last one was terrible enough, so let the r
Chelsea Humphrey
On to the next one!

*********************

What can I say that hasn't been said before about this series? What words can do this book justice? I've felt at a loss on how to explain my feelings for these books as I've read them. I didn't experience them as a child and therefore my experience is clearly different than most others on here, but in some ways I think it's just as magical to read these fo/>"It
Kai
“I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I'm not there.”
- me reading Harry Potter for the 14th time

To say it with the words of the cute 7-year old that I read this book to: "It was good but badder than the first book."

This is Harry Potter. Nothing can ever beat a Harry Potter book. Apart from another Harry Potter book. And in this book series, this is my least favourite one. There's just so many things I don't like reading about. Harry and Ron stealing the car a
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read in December 2015 for Harry Christmas to You

This time around I realized how much more entertaining this book is compared to the movie. Nothing against the movie because I LOVE it, but this book has so many more fun scenes! Like Arthur and Lucius PHYSICALLY FIGHTING EACH OTHER and Dobby tossing Lucius down a flight of stairs at the end. Reading this aloud with Kyle literally had us laughing like crazy. I love this series so much oh my Rowling.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Chr/>Re-Read
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: A bit bland at times, with less wonder and discovery than before, but finishes well with a more satisfying conclusion.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read audio 2017 ♥

Okay, I'm going to do a little *spoilery* in this review so those of you that haven't read the book then you might just want to look at the pictures. I have picked a ton of pictures from the book but believe me, there are plenty more beautiful ones in the book. Plus, if your a Harry Potter fan you will be getting the book anyway if you haven't already!

So poor Harry i♥
Okay,
Luca Ambrosino
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ENGLISH (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) / ITALIANO

Bedtime reading for my daughter (and second reading for me). It is once again exciting to wander across the Hogwarts halls, observing the mysterious facts that involve the protagonists, just like we were there too. This is Rowling's rare gift: making surITALIANO
Bedtime

Bedtime reading for my daughter (and second reading for me). It is once again exciting to wander across the Hogwarts halls, observing the mysterious facts that involve the protagonists, just like we were there too. This is Rowling's rare gift: making sure that we see through the eyes of Harry, Ron and Hermione.

The summer holidays have passed, and the new school year is about to start at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry's power is still immature, but Dumbledore's teaching is adamant:

«It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities»
This time, our young wizards are struggling with the new professor of defense against the dark arts, the dork and vein Gilderoy Lockhart, called to replace Professor Quirrell (died in the previous adventure). However, the joyful atmosphere is soon ruined: strange events begin to happen...

Far be it from me to spoiler something of this mystery-fantasy. J.K. Rowling gives us another masterpiece to live, rather than to read. Actually, I do not know if my daughter was more pleased than me to hear this novel, or if I was happier than her to read it and literally interpret it (I even modulated the voices of the different characters). Any excuse to read Harry Potter.

Vote: 9

description

Lettura serale per mia figlia (e seconda rilettura per me). E' ancora una volta emozionante vagare per le sale di Hogwarts e osservare i fatti misteriosi che coinvolgono i protagonisti, proprio come se fossimo lì anche noi. Questo è il raro dono della Rowling. Fare in modo che vediamo con gli occhi di Harry, Ron ed Hermione.

Trascorse le vacanze estive, alla scuola di magia e stregoneria di Hogwarts sta per iniziare il nuovo anno. Il potere di Harry è ancora immaturo, ma l'insegnamento di Silente è categorico:

«Sono le scelte che facciamo, Harry, che dimostrano quel che siamo veramente, molto più delle nostre capacità»
Stavolta, i nostri giovani maghi sono alle prese con il nuovo insegnante di difesa dalle arti oscure, il Professor Gilderoy Lockhart, tanto imbranato quanto vanitoso, chiamato a sostituire il Professor Quirrell, deceduto nella precedente avventura. L'atmosfera gioiosa è presto rovinata, però: strani eventi cominciano ad accadere, associati ad una certa camera dei segreti...

Lungi da me spoilerare qualcosa di questo fantasy del mistero. J.K. Rowling ci regala un'altro capolavoro da vivere, più che da leggere. A conti fatti, non so se sia stata più contenta mia figlia di sentirselo raccontare, o se sia stato più contento io di leggerlo e letteralmente interpretarlo (ho perfino modulato le voci dei diversi personaggi). La scusa è buona, in ogni caso.

Voto: 9

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
I sat down to "read a few pages" of this before bed two nights ago and had to force myself to stop at page 100...then picked it up and flew through the rest the next day.

I really enjoyed this one (as did millions of others, obviously) and, with this installment, I am definitely seeing why this is such a beloved series. The magical wizarding world of Harry, his friends, and the folks at Hogwart's is just FUN to read about.

I am in LOVE with Fawkes the phoenix and I adore Dumbledore...And now I am so w
Adam Silvera
Come for the saga. Stay for Gilderoy Lockhart.
Chloe
4th read (April - June 2019):
5 stars
Physical re-read

3rd read (May - June 2018):
5 stars
Listened to the audiobook (Stephen Fry) and again it was amazing. amazing. amazing. Especially his narration of the howler from Molly Weasley. Priceless.
Caz (littlebookowl)
Stephen Fry was made for these audiobooks.
James Trevino
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-goodies
I am always surprised by J.K. Rowling's ability to make her books an allegory of our modern world and it's big and hideous problems. We all know, after all, that she covered discrimination, wars, hate crime, the Kardashians, etc.

Let's take this book for example. Harry goes back to Hogwarts. Now enter Gilderoy Lockhart. A fame enamored charlatan, who knows nothing about anything, except memory spells. So clearly a Kardashian. Now some might ask: do Kardashians know memory spells. And
Raeleen Lemay
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE ILLUSTRATED EDITION IS SO GOOOOOD. However, I will say the two page spread that was full of spiders was a wee bit freaky
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 1/18/19: Do you ever just re-read Harry Potter and cry over how pure Dobby is? Bc same

Re-read 5/24/16: Perfection. Duh. Also this was a re-read, obvs. I can't believe I hadn't re-read this since I started my goodreads account!
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In memory of Alan Rickman who showed us what Severus Snape looks like on the Big Screen.
Severus Snape
I made myself a promise not to use any stills from any Harry Potter movies in my reviews for any book of the series, but I have to make an exception today January 14, 2016 thus the image above.

Even people who somehow managed to avoid reading the books and seeing the movies ca
Wil Wheaton
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I loved this, and I can't wait to start Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today.

Quick thoughts on the things that stood out to me:

Wow, the Dursleys were even more loathsome in this book than the first.
I love the Weasleys even more than I already did.
I am so glad my mother never sent me a Howler.
I thought Dobby was annoying in the movie (which I saw when it came out over a decade ago, not having read the book) but I thought he was awesome in the book. In fact, we rewatched
Ahmad Sharabiani
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, is a fantasy novel written by British author J.K. Rowling, and the second novel in the Harry Potter series. The plot follows Harry's second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, during which a series of messages on the walls of the school's corridors warn that the "Chamber of Secrets" has been opened and that the "heir of Slytherin" would kill all pupils who do not come from all-magical f
Samantha
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading HP to ring in the new year may be a new tradition of mine, since I've done just that two years in a row.

I haven't read this book since the first time I read it in 5th grade, but I loved it! I never would have thought before that CoS was one of my favorites from the series but I stand corrected.
alyssa
first read: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
second read: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 // buddy read with ines!

this book was absolutely brilliant!

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Lead Male Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★/ 5 stars (everyone)
Lead Female Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars (everyone)
Plotline: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Genre: fantasy, middle-grade, wizards
Will I recommend this book to others?: YES
Will I reread this book?: YES, I already did LOL
Overall story summed up in one word: BRILLIANT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last read of 2016!

Which house are you in? I would love to know! :D

2,000,000 Stars!

Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2014
Re-read #?: November 27-28, 2014
Re-read #??: November 29-December 3, 2016

While this is probably one of my least favorites of the series, it's still a fantastic book. I can't say for sure why I don't love it as much as the others, but it's just never stood out to me.

However, upon rereading it, I am reminded again how great Rowling is at developing a story arc! There are so many hints to later parts of the series in this book! Especially with Tom Riddle showing up, the diary, hints of Ron's a/>Re-read
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
James Tivendale
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When everyone first read and loved Harry Potter I ignored it. Not for any particular reason but about 10 years ago I didn't think I would be into it. Fast forward a decade and I'm now working my way through what I can say already is a children's classic fantasy series that is up there with The Wizard of Oz and The Chronicles of Narnia.

Harry's existence with his Muggle uncle and auntie is as horrible as ever and he can't wait to get back to Hogwarts after speaking to a mini-elf masochist who ess
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Before I say anything else, it's important you know that I LOVE HARRY POTTER. In my fingers and my toes. LOVE.

That being said, this is my least favorite of the early books (I'll let you know whether it's my least favorite overall after I reread HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX).

The reasons are LEGION:

1. Gilderoy Lockhart is a prat and I hate him.
2. Deathday party. It's creepy and gross.
3. Poor Ginny.
4. The trouble Harry and Ron get Mr. Weasley into stresses me out.
5. I don't like snakes.
6. I HATE spiders.
7. Dobby needs to calm the eff down:

The reasons are LEGION:

1. Gilderoy Lockhart is a prat and I hate him.
2. Deathday party. It's creepy and gross.
3. Poor Ginny.
4. The trouble Harry and Ron get Mr. Weasley into stresses me out.
5. I don't like snakes.
6. I HATE spiders.
7. Dobby needs to calm the eff down:

description

BUT. This is Harry Potter we're talking about, so there's also plenty of awesomeness:

1. Dwarves dressed as cupids, delivering singing valentines.
2. MOLLY WEASLEY.
3. Ford Anglia in the wilds of the Forbidden Forest.
4. Polyjuice Potion
5. Gnomes shouting "geroff."
6. (view spoiler)

SO. Even if this is my least favorite, it's still Harry Potter, and Harry Potter = AWESOME. If you haven't already, READ IT. If you have read it, read it AGAIN. That is all.

My other reviews for this series:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Lora
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the first
Recommended to Lora by: my enjoyment of the first
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

Such a wise wizard.

You know how sometimes when you read the first in a series and it turns out so much better than you originally anticipated, it makes you a little apprehensive when starting the sequel? Well, I felt that way before starting this, but I can definitely say that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is another fabulous installment in the rightfully beloved Harry Potter series!
And while I will admit to not loving it quite as much as
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I read this all in one 8 hour sitting... I need a life
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
5 Golden Stars Complete!
& thousands more

this one is Beyond AMAZING!
Marvellous! Delightful! Magnificent! & Cute!
I enjoyed every moment of it, every time. every page has something new.
& Always my first TOP favourite. (above OotP & GoF)
& I'm always wondering why this beautiful, cute, exciting, mysterious book is so many people's least favourite one in the series :(

tbh all of them are magical & wonderful! my heart beats for them. <
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I’m already reading 6 books,
BUT
this is Harry Potter
and it’s autumn
close to Halloween
and I just need another comfort read? *lol*

Plus 2 of my six books will be finished soon so this means that I’ll be down to 5 again which is my usual amount. XD

Look at me being all reasonable and responsible. Haha! ;-P

But honestly, do I even need a reason to read Harry Potter?
No, HP can be read anytime! =))

• Lord of the Flies
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Speak
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • Other Worlds
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Twilight (The Mediator, #6)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Among the Free (Shadow Children, #7)
  • Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)
  • The Princess Tales, Volume I (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette