Start by marking “Seeking Refuge: On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis” as Want to Read:
Seeking Refuge: On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis

Seeking Refuge: On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
What will rule our hearts: fear or compassion?

We can’t ignore the refugee crisis—arguably the greatest geo-political issue of our time—but how do we even begin to respond to something so massive and complex?

In Seeking Refuge, three experts from World Relief, a global organization serving refugees, offer a practical, well-rounded, well-researched guide to the issue.

Who are
Published July 5th 2016 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking Refuge

JB
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A winsome model for Christian political discourse, and a thoroughly biblical and reasonable treatment of the global refugee crisis. With perhaps one very minor caveat in the ninth and tenth chapters, at no point do the authors speak uncharitably about adherents of any political perspective. Throughout the book, avoiding anything inflammatory or speculative, they carefully present a biblical theology of migration, share the stories of those with forced migration experiences, explore the facts of ...more
Tessa
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I feel the weight of the biblical mandate to care for refugees much more than I did before. They addressed both how we can can for those who have been forced to flee their homes and move west, and the larger systemic issues that are causing this crisis.
Jan Bustrak
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The authors are sharing as those who have worked with, lived among refugees, and been a refugee. To gain a perspective of why one would flee one's homeland, and the struggles they face, read this. Expect to be challenged on how we may participate as well. Please read this before you read/ listen to any more refugee/immigration stories in the news. To be well rounded, compassionate people, we must look at both sides.
Ben
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An invaluable, timely, and necessary book for all Christians (and anyone else wanting to be more informed on the refugee process and experience). This book shines a light through the confusing fake news and misplaced fear of our contemporary situation, reminding the church of its calling to love others.
Lydia Howe
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why I Read This Book:

My family has been involved with the refugee crisis for the last couple of years - ever since one of my sisters went over to Greece to help the refugees. (You can find out more about their work there at i58.)

What I Thought about this Book:

This book was good. It had a lot of information, a lot of facts, a lot of statistics. And yet, at the same time, it was interesting and put faces to what is going on. It's so easy to get caught up in numbers and forget that each number re
Brian Cooper
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rhetoric is language designed to have a persuasive effect on its audience, and for the past several decades (probably even earlier than that) our country's political rhetoric has held sway for any given politicians constituency. This means that our leaders, ALL of them, have been participating in a game of divide and conquer -- that is divide our nation in order to conquer a segment of the voter block. What is often done in the place of factual analysis, the use of virtuous wisdom, and the pursu ...more
Julie
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-booklist
Anyone who desires to learn the process a person must go through to become a legal refugee in the US should read this book. It’s informative and gives an excellent picture of how it all works. For a Christian reading this book, you would be hard pressed to not see the responsibility we have to show compassion & aid to refugees and alyssum seekers. It was beautifully written and a joy to read. The authors did an excellent job addressing common fears and misconceptions about the current refuge ...more
James Scott
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well worthwhile read for church members and leaders, regardless of your political stance, hard questions must be asked regarding the Christian position on all immigrants, be they refugees or "illegal." The authors do an excellent job of balancing a hard hitting review of scriptural dictates with personal stories.
Christabelle
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am glad to have gone through this one. Having friends in Europe who have been working with refugees, I've been interested in the aspects of refugees coming here. It was good to hear from a ministry that works with refugees. I was not familiar with World Relief before starting this book. Since then, I have gained quite a bit of respect for them. We do have a responsibility to show love to the most vulnerable. What better way to be the hands and feet of Christ?
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This is a book that World Relief (a Christian relief organization) has put together to help Christians understand more about the current refugee crisis, and what parts we as individuals and as a nation can play in this situation.

The book begins with a brief overview of the statistics of the crisis (more than 60 million people displaced worldwide, about 20 million of them fleeing their home countries -- half of whom are children). It's hard to wrap our minds around numbers like these, which is al
Tim Hoiland
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On September 2, 2015, the world was confronted by a photograph.

Taken by the Turkish journalist Nilüfer Demir, the photo depicted a toddler lying dead on a beach. He had drowned in the Mediterranean Sea. The boy’s name, we would learn, was Alan Kurdi. He and his family, who are of Kurdish descent, had fled Syria as refugees and were trying to reach Europe, in hopes of eventually being resettled in Canada.

The photograph immediately propelled the refugee crisis to the front page of newspapers and t
Jill
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
Unfortunately, it felt like the story of the refugee crisis within Seeking Refuge took a backseat to the message of God the authors sought to bring across in this book. However, there were a few key messages I took from this book that bear repeating:

1. Refugees are human too. It is important to remember we must treat others as we wish to be treated should we find ourselves in the situations described within. I pray someone would be kind to me and providing shelter and food to my own family shoul
CJ Pine
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book authored by practitioners and Christian leaders (as opposed to shorter relevant articles) helps me feel the way in which an Evangelical-based movement and narrative of welcoming refugees is taking stand. I hope this book would address many with concerns where they are - though I confess I don't know.

Remarkably comprehensive in 200 pages - as seen by the Table of Contents at the link: https://www.vitalsource.com/products/....

The text starts with biblical analysis. "Welcoming the
Brittany
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel like everyone should read this book. Though it's written by Christians, for Christians, it is such an important example of what Christianity should really be all about. I'm not religious at all and most books written from an uber religious perspective are a huge turn off to me. This book was nothing like that. Though the authors quote the bible often and are obviously very invested in their faith, they make it clear that they do not stand for proselytism (forcefully trying to convert peop ...more
Heather
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an important book in today's climate of fear of immigrants. This book makes a clear and compelling case for a Christian duty to welcome refugees. It does not address other types of immigrants in detail (although it recommends other resources that do), but it does explain fully the precise definition of a refugee and how they are admitted to the US. I am so often frustrated by people who are afraid of "refugees", but are really talking about other categories of immigrants like asylum seek ...more
Konner Soderberg
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Millions of displaced people, desperate for hope, yet reviled and feared by many, will decide what they think of Jesus based on how His followers throughout the world respond to this crisis, whether with welcome, love, and advocacy, or with apathy, fear, and scapegoating.”

Now is the time for the American church to rise up and be the church, and show mercy and compassion to the millions of hurting and displaced people and refugees all across the world. From Syria, Iraq, Myanmar, and beyond, whe
Andy
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book even more important now than when it was published in 2016. Regardless of your belief system or lack of one, this is essential reading for understanding the refugee crisis. Many Americans (me included) don't fully understand how to distinguish refugees from immigrants or what their journeys are like. People also don't understand the behind-the-scenes work that's done to help refugees on a global scale. This is an eye-opening book. Please consider reading it. It's less than 200 pages, very ...more
Vicki Gibson
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be required reading for Americans who call themselves Christians, particularly of the conservative or fundamentalist ilk. It strikes a good balance between facts about refugees and anecdotal stories. The authors acknowledge the need for national security but press the Church and individual Christians not to ignore what the Bible teaches on the topic of refugees and immigrants. And unlike gay marriage, abortion, gun control, and other modern day hot button issues, the Bible has a ...more
Camille
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
So intensely disturbing. --about the vulnerability of the world's 60 million refugees forcibly displaced from their homes, the downward spiral of injustice disease, hunger, poverty, violence to powerlessness, hopelessness,
--about helping at the local level via churches
--about how 'policies' matter --we must see to it that our elected officials develop and promote policies beneficial to refugees and conducive to helping other more intensely affected countries (1/4 of the population of Lebanon ar
Jeremy Slager
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book. The narrative around the refugee crisis has departed from the facts and the authors do a wonderful job bringing us back to the reality of the situation. As followers of Christ, we are to care for the "strangers and aliens." Even if it does cost us something, it's written into the DNA of being a Christian to care for the marginalized, and this a group that we can help. I couldn't recommend it more highly.
Sylvia Jeronimo
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pragmatic, sober and biblical look at the refugee situation , not only in the USA, but in the world. History, stats, current situation, practical helps and warnings. A must and easy read. Recommended for anyone who wants to rise above the political fray of propaganda and innuendo, and think critically for a change.
Von
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredible work on all the moving parts of a complex subject. It's a book that forces a person to stand in front of the mirror and grapple with the "Therefore what shall I do?" in the refugee crisis. I appreciate the clear explanation of the complexities, the gospel-driven conviction, and the call to the church in this book. Well done, gentlemen!
Amanda
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-collection
A clear and practical approach to how the church should be responding to the refugee crisis. The data here is laid out well and solutions are given from a variety of perspectives. To deny the church has a vital role towards refugees is to deny scripture. It can read a bit academic at times, but a really good, thought provoking book I'd recommend for church leaders and small groups to read.
Carol
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for hose who want to know the biblical response to how we are to love and care for refugees. The Church too often takes on the world's view of refugees, and not God's-- precious people He made in His image whom we are to share the love of Christ with! This should be in every church library!
Nina M.
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this with zero reservations to all Christians at this moment in history and given the mission of all Christians to love our neighbors. For any who are afraid to enter into such a complex issue, please do not be: "Seeking Refuge" was remarkably readable. So accessible. If you order through the publishers on behalf of a group, it is 50 percent off.
JillT
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy, vital must-read for: American Christians, or the church in North America and Europe, or YWAMers doing any mercy ministries, or anyone working with refugees, etc. SOLID Biblical and pragmatic principles to be understood and received by anyone wanting to be the light of Christ AND wanting to make an edifying, non-harmful difference.
Benjamin C Drake
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seeking Refuge has opened my eyes in so many ways. Refugees, internally displaced persons, asylum seekers…There are lots of different classifications, distinctions and labels. This book helps to educate and dispel fear and myth.

There is much hurting in the world, and this book does indeed share some stories--stories of incredible persecution, and also stories of rescue and of hope.
Mike Holmes
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I went into the book sympathetic and in agreement with the book's general thesis. However, I feel it could use stronger argumentation overall. It read like a book for the already-convinced and not one I would present to someone skeptical. There is a place for that, yet even for those already convinced, this is only a starting point with which to engage other literature.
Bridget
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are a Christian, you should read this book. That includes if you are scared of refugees, anti-refugee, or have your arms open to welcome them already. This book gives a Biblical perspective on addressing the refugee crisis, some tangible steps to take, and dispels myths commonly believed about refugees. This is a good read for our church's missions team.
Michelle Seizer
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think every Christian should read it...If he or she has doubts on whether we should be welcoming or supportive to refugees and migrants in general.
Even though this book has a strong spiritual side, it also offers facts and brings down myths about the refugee crisis.

Bonus of getting it: proceeds go to help refugees worldwide!
STEPHAN BAUMAN is the President and CEO of World Relief, an international relief and development organization partnering with the global Church to serve more than five million vulnerable people each year. World Relief is also the founder and convener of The Justice Conference. Stephan's pursuit of justice led him to transition from a successful career in the Fortune 100 sector to Africa where he d ...more
More about Stephan Bauman

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“What a privilege! I don’t feel like we are in a crisis. God is giving us the chance to welcome people and it is blessing our church with a new spirit!” 0 likes