Start by marking “The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking” as Want to Read:
The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking

The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking

“A column by Glenn Garvin on Dec. 20 stated that the National Science Foundation ‘funded a study on Jell-O wrestling at the South Pole.’ That is incorrect. The event took place during off-duty hours without NSF permission and did not involve taxpayer funds.”

Corrections such as this one from the Miami Herald have become a familiar sight for readers, especially as news cyc
Published September 30th 2016 by University of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking

Start your review of The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking
Clare
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having rediscovered my batch of unread editing books during my last bout of quarancleaning book purge, I’m trying to work my way through them. To that end I recently read Brooke Borel’s The Chicago Guide to Fact-Checking, a thing I probably should have read back when I was editing news instead of technical reports.

While this book is short it is quite thorough, covering the purposes of fact-checking, various craft and administrative aspects of how to do it, advice on working with writers and o
Jude Morrissey
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY recommended for anyone considering journalism as a career; also anyone who is writing nonfiction, historical fiction, or another genre using actual facts. Also recommended for anyone who wants to be more engaged in fact-checking on their own - which should be everyone nowadays, really.

For those who teach fact-checking (and any school with a journalism degree should have or add this class in their program), this would be an excellent textbook. For those teaching related information, this
Tom Busk
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nf
Staying true to the spirit of the work, I will qualify my opinion by stating I am not a journalist, simply a consumer of news and a citizen seeking to make informed choices. The Guide is an introduction serving the novice working fact-checker; providing a thorough description of the many situations where fact-checking is used, specific guidance for the processes it requires, and strategies for dealing with the typical barriers that occur. Sprinkled throughout are “Pro Tips” – deeper insights and ...more
Jen Grogan
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: editing-books
One of my ongoing jobs recently has been doing fact-checking for a regional travel magazine, and while I've got their system figured out (and it's pretty specific due to the kinds of sections I fact-check), I wanted to get a broader and more detailed sense of how to do fact-checking. This book was recommended to me by Lisa Gold, a local researcher and fact-checker extraordinaire, and it didn't disappoint!
S Taylor
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am brand-new to fact checking and found this to be so helpful. I feel like it balanced depth and simplicity very well in a very readable style. I’m excited to start fact-checking the things that come through my social media feed!
Lisa
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a fantastic guide to the process of fact-checking in journalism and nonfiction. It's clearly and engagingly written, filled with good examples, and easily navigated with quick tips and summaries interspersed in the chapters. Great for beginners as well as seasoned journalists.
BookBec
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am awed by what fact-checkers do, and it's now clear that I don't want to be one.
Elizabeth
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A quick and clear guide that still manages to make you think about the processes and elements that go into fact checking in ways that are both illuminating and surprising.
Louie
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive. Excellent reference book and a definite plus for your workshelf. Each chapter is a standalone and worthy of reading more than once.
André
Borel addresses all types of facts and media—numbers, quotes, audio and video, fiction books, memoirs etc. And every two to four pages I underlined 1 useful sentence, but much of the book rarely goes beyond the obvious (probably an offensive term for fact checkers, which may have been part of the problem).
I was hoping for the tricks, tools and norms of the trade, and liked her "triage" and "track and document" sections with an image example from Spiegel Online (there are no images of Borel's ow
Bethany
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly informative and a good read as well! I learned a lot.
Kelly

• The Fact Checker's Bible: A Guide to Getting It Right
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • The Chicago Guide to Grammar, Usage, and Punctuation
  • The Mexican Revolution: A Short History 1910-1920
  • At the Point of a Cutlass: The Pirate Capture, Bold Escape, and Lonely Exile of Philip Ashton
  • The Changing Face of Empire: Special Ops, Drones, Spies, Proxy Fighters, Secret Bases, and Cyberwarfare
  • Miller and Max
  • HausMagick: Transform Your Home with Witchcraft
  • Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit
  • Aguirre, the Wrath of God
  • How to See the World: An Introduction to Images, from Self-Portraits to Selfies, Maps to Movies, and More
  • The Crafty Poet: A Portable Workshop
  • Composition and Sustainability: Teaching for a Threatened Generation
  • Call Numbers: The Not So Quiet Life Of Librarians (Call Numbers, #1)
  • The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating