Start by marking “Flying by the Seat of My Knickers (The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Flying by the Seat of My Knickers (The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw Book 1)

Flying by the Seat of My Knickers

(The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw #1)

Why run from your troubles when you can fly instead?

When Caity Shaw is fired from her first job that doesn't require an elf uniform, her older sister, Rachel, an event planner, hires her to work a meeting in Dublin. Caity jumps at the opportunity to travel abroad and escape her pathetic life. However, even four thousand miles from home, there's no avoiding debt collectors,
Published February 20th 2016 by Elizabeth Watson

To ask other readers questions about Flying by the Seat of My Knickers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying by the Seat of My Knickers

Dash fan
4☆ A Light hearted, Humorous Adventure!

First of all I want to start by saying I absolutely LOVE the title for this book. It had me giggling and I just had to find out more!

Flying by the Seat of My Knickers is a Light hearted, warm and fun read with a good dash of laugh out loud moments. It's the first book in the series and I'm excited for the next one!

Caity has lost her job and going through a pretty rough break up, so when her mum persuades her sister Rachel to hire her she has no choice but t
Samantha March
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For full disclosure, I was a beta reader for this novel in the early stages. I was full of excitement when I read an early draft, and even more excited once I was able to dive in to the finished manuscript. This is a book for me! As someone who loves travel, reading a novel set in Dublin had me all kinds of hooked. But more than just a very cool setting and reading about castles, there is a solid plot here. We follow Caity who has always been in the shadow of sister Rachel, and now is at her bec ...more
Zoe (Attic Salt Reviews)
I don’t know if I’ve ever read something this fun and lively! Flying by the Seat of my Knickers had it all; stimulating writing and an original plot topped off with a quirky main character. This is a brilliant read for anyone looking for something amusing and upbeat.

When Caity is fired from her first proper job, her only fall back is to work for her sister, Rachel, as an event planner in Dublin. Jumping at the chance to travel, even if it means dealing with her overbearing, workaholic sister wh
Elle's Book Blog
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
:: 5 Pretty Little Stars ::

This is a such a fun novel! I read it in one day as it is not only fast paced but extremely interesting! Seeing as I am not much of a traveler I really look forward to reading books that take place abroad and this one did just that! Not only this, the characters in this novel are extremely relatable. I truly felt like the heroine, Caity, could be a best friend of mine. This is honestly one of my favorite things about this novel. If I cannot relate to the characters,
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the first book in a series of books following Caity and her travel adventures. This particular novel is set fully in Ireland which you really get a great sense of what Ireland is like, as in the people and certain things that it is best known for.

Caity is almost a disaster waiting to happen. Her life just seems to be one disaster after another and she doesn’t have much faith that things are going to get any better when she comes to Ireland to work with her sister Rachel.

There is a lot go
Megalion
As fluffy "chick lit romance" goes, I enjoyed this one. I don't read this genre much anymore as I prefer more substance to my "female centric" fiction. Characters of substance and all.

However, something about the title, cover, and premise tickled my fancy and happily... delivered on its promise.

Usually the problem with this genre is that the heroine has too much of "TSTL" (too stupid to live) to tolerate. But Caity Shaw, while flighty, simply needs to grow up a bit.

It's a fun lark with added goo
Tara
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
I picked up this book awhile ago, because I just loved the title but unfortunately it’s been sitting on my kindle for a while now but like most things I haven’t got around to it until now.

Caity has just escaped from her controlling ex, in desperate need of money, she takes a job with her sister at her event planning business.

She jumps at the chance to go to Dublin for a week but when she gets there she gets into mishap after mishap.

Can Caity get her self confidence back and put her past behind
Petra  Q
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a gorgeous book cover and very apt title for this book!

I was contacted by Eliza Watson to read and review the first book in the Caity Shaw series called Flying by the Seat of my Knickers and I must say this book tick all my bookish boxes. It is a quick paced, refreshing and romantic read. I loved the very well developed characters, the fantastic setting and the mystery surrounding the Shaw family history.

When we first meet Caity Shaw, she is in a very vulnerable position in he live. After b
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
Originally posted on my blog: Review: Flying By the Seat of My Knickers (The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw Book 1) by Eliza Watson.

review

“What better place to reinvent myself than a place where nobody knew me. I could be whoever I wanted to be.”

Caity Shaw finds herself in Ireland recently broken up from an emotionally abusive relationship that eventually caused her to lose her job. She now relies on her sister to save her from being totally money less. It seems that Caity’s life had reached a low point
Javeria
My rating: 4.5 stars

Flying by the Seat of my Knickers follows Caity Shaw and her journey to find herself/hide (?). After getting fired from her job Caity travels aboard to work for her sister, Rachel. However, things don’t go as planned and Caity ends up suffering a few mishaps causing her to lose more self-confidence. With the help of her co-worker, Declan, Caity starts gaining more confidence and learning more about her Irish grandmother.

This is one of the cutest books I’ve ever read. I’m st

Erin Kathleen
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was darling. I really loved the main character Caity. She was completely likeable, relatable and just a joy to follow. Her story was far from perfect and I think a lot of readers can relate (or could relate) to that time of struggling financially, trying to figure out who you are meant to be, trying to please a sibling, navigate romantic relationships and deal with the parents who "just want the best". I thought Caity was very well developed throughout, yet she still is a work in progr ...more
Theresa
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Did you ever just meet someone and before you could decide if you liked them, they launched into a long winded story? That is the feel of this story.

I could never decide how I felt about Caity. Mostly she was just a screw up with a self esteem issue. It got much better about three fourths in but I thought about giving up a lot.

Her mother was a nag. Gretchen was just horrible. Rachel was so A type personality that I kept rolling my eyes. Declan was the only highlight.

At one point it seemed like
Lyra
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flying by the Seat of My Knickers is a fun, fast read that reminded me of all the joys of my first major travel experience. Caity, an American hoping to escape a string of bad luck, takes a job assisting her event-planer sister with a week-long meeting in Ireland. More of a women's fiction, this first person focuses on Caity as she works to impress her sister and regain her shattered confidence. I loved the character's voice and how she provided a voice of optimism and compassion in spite of the ...more
Alexia Adams
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a somewhat jaded traveler, Flying by the Seat of My Knickers let me relive the joy and excitement of that first trip abroad where everything is different and new. I've never been to Ireland so I was really keen on the descriptions and little insider information for this destination. The characters were well-rounded and interesting and by the end I was really rooting for Katy. Just a note, this is not a traditional romance but anyone who secretly dreams of going to Ireland will love it. A thor ...more
Christy Newton
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! When the story starts out you can't help but feel sorry for Caity and all she has been through, but you'll soon stop feeling bad for her and be cheering her on. The characters are all relatable and well written. Full of comedy, hope, adventure, and even a hint of romance. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next. Well done, Watson!
Nadishka Aloysius
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caity Shaw has just lost her job. She is being stalked by her abusive ex-boyfriend Andy. She has had to move back to her family home and her domineering mother. So when she gets the chance to assist her successful sister Rachel with an event in Ireland, she jumps at the chance.
Having visited Ireland, reading this book was a trip down memory lane. The story was humorous, with a touch of pathos, and the heroine likeable. It was truly a series of unfortunate events - falling on her face in front o
Beth
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this read, love the cover, such a great read ... I am new to Eliza, I have never traveled overseas. I would love to one day. it is a light hearted read and I was immediately pulled in ... such a quick read for me. I will look forward to reading more from Eliza soon enough. Well done. ( :
Alice Teets
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For some reason I thought this was a cozy mystery, but it was more like chick lit. Regardless, I liked it a lot. Caity was fun, and the story moved quickly. I will read more in this series.
Amy
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book. Good enough I want to read the next 2. Need to find out about the Grandma.
Very quick read.
Samantha Glass
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quaint. Fun, easy read. Makes me want the book a trip to Ireland. New to me author, but enjoyed her story telling and pacing. Will read others of hers.
Whispering Stories
This book had me giggling like a loon from the very beginning. This is the story of a young woman who has been thrust into a world and job she is completely unprepared for and the mishaps she finds herself in while she finds her feet.

Caity has escaped from a toxic relationship with an emotionally abusive narcissist and she’s afraid that he’ll find her, half a world away. This little thread of darkness adds a hint of realism to an otherwise quirky and light-hearted novel, which I found to be a ni
Meghan Lloyd
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That's really my first reaction after reading this book, and it happened at the end of just about every chapter. I L-O-V-E-D this book! It should never have ended. I need more. Thankfully there is a second book coming out, so I won't have to wait too long.

Caity Shaw's life is a train wreck. She has an ex who has become a stalker, she was fired from her last job because of said ex, and she is working for her sister who trusts her not at all. The story opens with her in a bratwurst costume fo
Nandika Kaul
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When Milwaukee girl Caity Shaw is given the opportunity of working in a job where she isn't expected to dress like an elf with those horrible pointy shoes and annoying golden bells , she readily accepts it , expecting to have an unforgettable experience with her sister & event managing goddess Rachel in Ireland and in the process,  recovering from the damaging effects of her former emotionally abusive relationship. Little does she know about the series of mishaps the journey has in
Ladyp
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was so much fun to read! I couldn’t wait to keep reading to see what happened in Caity’s life! We all need to travel to another place and read about the escapades of others.

Imagine dressing up like a bratwurst in a bun, as that is the first of many jobs her sister Rachel has in mind for Caity. Of course she is bold and says I’ll do it!
Her life had taken a turn for the worse in the states as her ex-boyfriend is stalking her and as a result he helped get her fired from her last jo
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a fun book. It is certainly a great summer/beach read. This is the first in the series and I am really looking forward to reading more about the exploits of Caity Shaw. She is a great chick-lit character. I give this book 4.5 stars.

Caity is lacking self-confidence at the beginning of the book, but with some rather interesting and hilarious situations in Dublin Ireland that she handles in a typical Caity fashion, she begins to boost her confidence in herself. When she loses her job, her m
Grass monster
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Meet Caity Shaw, after being sacked from her job because of her stalking ex, she finds herself single after getting out of the emotionally abusive relationship. Life couldnt get much worse for Caity. She decides to get on a plane to Dublin to help out her sister, Rachel at an event.
As Caity settles into the job things dont go quiet as planned. From falling flat on her face to wrong hotels and rooms, Caity dosent get an easy ride. Co worker Declan seems to always save the day. They have a little
Clive Gerrard
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
When I downloaded this book it came under the category of 'Humorous' but subsequently it also appeared as 'Chick lit', which was too late as I'd already started it .... However, it a wasn't bad read. It was light reading, fairly innocuous in an airport novel kind of way.

The story of a divorced/separated woman starting off in a new life, new career and in a strange country (Ireland) was light-heartedly amusing without being laugh out loud funny. Her trials and tribulations are fairly run of the
Maria Thomas
First off, I love this title.
I liked that Caity was working to overcome having been a victim of domestic emotional abuse and that she was proactively trying to better her situation in life which during the course of this book was pretty bleak. Also that she was trying to improve relationships with her family.
I liked that Caity's flaws seemed pretty realistic.
Loved that she was influenced by a grandmother she knows nothing about. Her unknown heritage was still a strength to her despite all the
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
I quite enjoyed this book. It was a slight divert from my normal reads of the past several years for this one and I'm glad I read it. A change is as good as rest isn't it ☺

The story plays out well, it's very visual and Eliza writes with a chatty prose which I thoroughly enjoy. I did struggle a little with the paragraphs between speech, it stilted the flow a little bit for my liking but nonetheless I was certainly engaged all the way through.

Flying By The Seat Of My Knickers has a plethora of cha
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Play Book Tag: Flying by the Seat of My Knickers - 3 stars 3 14 Jul 03, 2016 06:20AM

• The Blow-In (The Tipperary Series, #1)
  • Trouble Triangle (Tyler's Trouble Trilogy, #1)
  • Murder at the Nineteenth (Lambert and Hook #1)
  • Down Beat (Dark Tide, #1)
  • Next Stop, Chancey (Chancey #1)
  • Under the Hood (Under the Law #2)
  • For Rent
  • The Little French Guesthouse (La Cour des Roses, #1)
  • Race for the Gold
  • Falling Is Like This
  • Switched
  • From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)
  • Heart of a Prince (Crowns & Courtships, #1)
  • Love Is a Battlefield (A Walk in the Park, #1)
  • Breaking Sandcastles
  • The Chateau of Happily-Ever-Afters
  • Love and Mistletoe (Ballybeg, #4)
  • The Gin Shack on the Beach

I am a USA Today Bestselling Author. When I'm not traveling for my job as an event planner, or tracing my ancestry roots through Ireland, I'm at home working on my next novel, bouncing ideas off my husband, Mark, and my cats Frankie and Sammy. My monthly newsletter features Caity's travel tips column, genealogy research advice, and info about my latest news, giveaways, and releases! You can subscr

The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw (4 books)
  • Up the Seine Without a Paddle (The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw, #2)
  • My Christmas Goose Is Almost Cooked (The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw, #3)
  • My Wanderlust Bites the Dust (The Travel Mishaps of Caity Shaw, #4)
“a drink of” 0 likes