Start by marking “The Returned - Die Vergangenheit kehrt zurück” as Want to Read:
The Returned - Die Vergangenheit kehrt zurück

The Returned - Die Vergangenheit kehrt zurück

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  523 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
In einer idyllischen Kleinstadt in den französischen Alpen kehren plötzlich längst verstorbene Bewohner zurück. Allerdings nicht als blutrünstige Zombies, sondern als scheinbar ganz normale Menschen – unverändert, seit sie gestorben sind. All diese Wiederkehrer wissen zunächst nicht, dass sie gestorben sind und wollen nun ihr altes Leben wieder aufnehmen. Das es so jedoch ...more
Published March 8th 2016 by Script5 (first published October 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Returned - Die Vergangenheit kehrt zurück, please sign up.
Evelyn I found this online: "Author Seth Patrick will develop two books based on storylines from the show’s first two seasons". Haven't found any info on…moreI found this online: "Author Seth Patrick will develop two books based on storylines from the show’s first two seasons". Haven't found any info on when the 2nd book might be released. (less)

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Landmark and NetGalley.)

“I want her back,” she’d told Pierre. “Can God do that?”

This story started out okay, but I have to admit that it really didn’t hold my attention well at all.

I felt quite sorry for the grieving families at the start of this book, what they had been through was awful, and the way it had changed their lives was sad. You would hope that people would stick together and s
Monica
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! However, I needed more explanation on the conclusion. It made no sense at all... Did anyone in the town survive? Was Adele dead also? Was she pregnant? Maybe there is a sequel with the answers!
Kate
First off, I should state that I have never seen the TV series and I suspect that helps - if you have no idea what's going on, it's compulsive. Secondly, this book is flippin' unputdownable! I've been picking it up in every spare 5 minutes. It does have the feel of a TV or film adaptation about it, very much so, but thankfully, for the sake of my sanity, I hear that there is to be a book 2. 3.5/4 stars.

☙ percy ❧
Jul 25, 2017 marked it as tbr-priority  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-standalone
i'm going to use this pre-review to wax lyrical about the TV show

just to make it clear, i am talking about the original French show, not the pisspoor American remake.

ok so it's literally my favourite TV show of all time (tied with orphan black) and all of y'all HAVE to watch it. i'm curious about what the novel is like, because the tv show was what i can only describe as very french (if you've watched a couple of french films/tv shows you'll probs know what i mean) and i wonder if the novel ha
Diana Solito
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wunschliste
Niemals hätte ich erwartet das zu bekommen, was ich letztendlich mit diesem Buch bekommen habe...
Ich werde mir jetzt, während ich mich unter meiner Decke verstecke und mir in die Hose mache, mal ein paar Gedanken zu einer Rezi machen...
Solltet ihr nichts mehr von mir hören, waren Sie da, und haben mich geholt!
Liz Barnsley
I had a love/hate relationship with this novel – extremely well written and most definitely addictive, I have not seen the tv show but am now very tempted to take a look.

Some huge plus points – the writing style has such a flow to it that it pulls you right into the story, into the lives of these people who are suddenly facing the very real consequence of “Be careful what you wish for”. I could barely put it down as I watched the aftermath of the dead returning, the joy and the disbelief and the
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
*I would like to thank Netgalley and Sourcebooks for the opportunity to read this book.*

At first the book pulled me right in, it was creepy with dead people coming back just as they were when they died. Not mangled, I mean age, etc. I think it was like 30 years since they were dead.

I don't know what happened but it started getting a little confusing closer to the end and I'm not even sure what was going on with the evil priest. Maybe I missed something, I don't know.

The ending was sort of a du
Fangs for the Fantasy
I don’t understand this book – I just don’t really understand the point of it.

When I picked it up I thought it would be the book that The Returned television series was based on – my mistake, it’s actually a book based on the television series (both of which are based on another book which is rather loopy). Book spin offs from TV shows happen and we’ve reviewed a few before so while it wasn’t what I expected I was curious about where it would go, given the mystery and unanswered questions of the
Debbie
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first requested this book, I thought it was about the current TV show, which sucks. I just wanted to find out wth was going on without having to sit through the boring episodes. Then I realized it was a totally different book and not related to the TV show. However, an 8 episode series was made of this book and shown in the UK. Lucky them!!

Although I haven't read the other book by Jason Mott, I did watch a few episodes of the TV series. This one is WAY better. While kind of creepy in the
Abbie
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

This started off okay, but it quickly went downhill for me unfortunately.
At times it confused me, most of the time I found it weird, and for the majority of it, I was bored. I just wanted to hurry up and finish it, but it felt like it would never end.

I wasn't a fan of the ending either.
Lielan
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Seth Patricks "Die Vergangenheit kehrt zurück" ist der erste Band seiner Horror-Thriller Reihe "The Returned". Die Kurzbeschreibung konnte mich gleich packen und hat mich wahnsinnig neugierig auf diese Geschichte gemacht, die so wahnsinnig anders klang, als alles ich besser aus diesem Genrebereich gelesen habe. Als ich dann noch erfahren habe, dass es eine gleichnamige TV-Serie zu dieser Buchreihe gibt, hat die Neugierde natürlich gesiegt und ich konnte gar nicht anders, als in die Buchwelt von ...more
Lenas Welt der Bücher

Meine Meinung:
Mich hat der Klappentext des Buches sofort angesprochen. Die Geschichte hörte sich mal wieder nach etwas neuem an. Außerdem klang es super spannend und auch etwas gruselig.
Das Cover ist nichts spektakuläres, vermittelt aber die passende Stimmung. Für mich wirkt diese Junge schon etwas gruselig und könnte gut in einem Horrorfilm mitspielen.
Der Einstieg in das Buch fiel mir einfach. Man hat zwar viele Personen und somit viele kleine Geschichten, aber die Personen sind doch sehr unter
Shara
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was well written and the characters were incredible, realistic and in-depth. I quite enjoyed the concept of returning from the dead and retaining memories/personalities of your self.

My only issue is the ending. There were so many questions left, nothing was really resolved, they hinted back to past events but nothing was ever explained. It left me confused and want all my questions answered.

I did not realize this was a novel based on the French TV series when I picked this to read, but I'
Kathleen
May 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads as if it were written for TV -- or based on a TV show. The story centers around a small town located near a dam in France that experiences its dead people waking up and going home. Kind of gruesome, but it could work. Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well in "The Returned". The plot is weak or non-existent and there is no solid conclusion. I suppose one must wait for the sequel. I will skip the sequel and recommend that you skip this book.
Sue
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had great promise. It was eminently readable with well developed characters and an intriguing plot. Then it is completely spoilt in the last pages. It feels as if the author had had quite enough of it and just stopped. It has left me feeling unsatisfied and not particularly inclined to read anything else by this author.
Lindsey
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
Good plot and characters, very different concept and I enjoyed reading everything but the ending. So many questions, nothing was resolved, they hinted back to past events but nothing was ever explained. Wasn't impressed with that, I want questions answered.
Pritha
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learnt a new word recently, "unputdownable", this book is definitely that! But it makes you wonder? Would you really want all your dead back, keeping aside the zombie stuff. It's sad. :(

I do want someone to explain the ending to me though... Is there a sequel to this book?
Bianca
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Actually 3.5 stars but not 4.
I really loved the book untill the last 20 pages or so. The ending is deeply unsatisfying, because it's not really an ending at all. It just stops.
Rest of the book is well written and at times plenty scary!
Kathryn
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 rating. The storyline was decent, but I found the writing style painfully juvenile. I can only imagine if the story had been told by someone like Stephen King!
Beth
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely readable and intense but I wish it had a more definite ending! Does this mean there will be a sequel?
Teresa
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novelization of the French TV series, easy to read and un-put-downable. Halfway through it I started watching the series too!
Gabrielle
enjoyed this book but only gave it 3 stars because of the ending. just plain unsatisfying.
Paulien
The Returned is based on the French tv series, Les Revenants, which is one of the best tv series I've ever seen. Because of this, I can't express an unbiased view. I've seen the series three years ago - long enough to forget exactly what happened, but to still know who the characters were and how it all looked, so to say.

A good thing, too. Because while the novel was gripping, the author doesn't bother much with descriptions. I'm not a fan of the pages-long descriptions of Nature some authors go
Elizabeth
In a small French village, people's lives go on as usual although many of them have experienced tragedies and trauma. All of their lives are overshadowed by someone who has died, whether they know it or not. When the dead come back exactly as they died, the sleepy town is thrown into chaos. If that weren't enough, brutal murders occur, eerily similar to unsolved cases of years ago. The town's scars are reopened and raw. Only time will tell who will be strong enough to continue, who will die, and ...more
Sara
Jun 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Hill
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I loved the plot of this book, over all it was just a fair read. One problem is the author obviously plans on this being a series of books so you never really find out what is going on. A mistake rookie authors make thinking it will make you buy their next book rather than have each book stand on its own. Also, character development is rather weak as I never related to any of them. This makes the dialogue rather clumsy since it does not always appear they are real people saying things t ...more
Larka Fenrir
Scrittura fresca e scorrevole (anche se è difficili valutarla tradotta -con qualche errore per di più), premesse molto interessanti, che lasciano aperti tanti interrogativi per il seguito.
Viene gestita molto bene la presenza di numerosi personaggi, nessuno dei quali viene trascurato: le loro storie sono sempre interessanti e a volte toccanti, riesce a farti provare empatia per i vari protagonisti. La dice lunga il fatto che non mi sono persa (come invece ho fatto con Cime tempestose) e sono rius
Evelyn
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped the book would have a more satisfying ending than the French tv series based on it, which ended ambiguously and without much explanation of WTH just happened. But no. I'd give the book a higher rating if it had...still, I enjoyed it for the way it slowly built up an atmosphere of dread and foreboding.
Annah
I am so confused. I'm not entirely sure what this book is about. There are a lot of loose ends and many things that are unexplained. The writing is good, I just really don't know what is going on. It seems really interesting but things don't exactly tie together. Everything feels rushed towards the end and there are so many things unexplained.
Marcella
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The end was as mysterious as the whole story. It. was a compelling read and kept my interest all the way through. Mostly because I wanted to solve the mystery and understand why. But the end was a let down without any understanding. If there was more to the end, I would have given it 5⭐. But the end was quite a disappointment. ...more
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization
  • The Borgia Apocalypse: The Screenplay
  • Stargate SG-1 (Stargate SG-1, #1)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Angel: the Casefiles, Volume 1
  • The Faith Trials (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #10)
  • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #5)
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 1 (The Xander Years, #1)
  • The Tao of Abundance: Eight Ancient Principles for Living Abundantly in the 21st Century
  • The Thirteen
  • Winning the Game of Thrones: The Host of Characters and their Agendas
  • Die Stadt der gefallenen Engel (Damian, #1)
  • Sunrise (Stargate SG-1, #17)
  • Incognita (Tabula Rasa, #2)
  • Star Trek: Seven Deadly Sins
  • Dark Mirror (Angel: Season 4-5, #5)
  • The Christmas Party from the Black Lagoon

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things