Start by marking “The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret, #3)

The Turncoat's Gambit

(The Inventor's Secret #3)

Charlotte is on the run. The Empire is hunting her. The Revolution wants her back. And Charlotte has allied herself with pirates, just to stay safe.

But things are not what they seem. Theres a traitor in the revolutionaries midst pulling unseen strings, and surprises lurk around every corner. As Charlotte is left to sort out what she truly thinks about the revolution shes
Published November 15th 2016 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Turncoat's Gambit, please sign up.

Start your review of The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret, #3)
Colleen Houck
Loved the end of this book. Also I want one of these pirate ships. My favorite scene was the prison. I know that seems strange but the prison was just so cool and frightening. I can imagine staring up at that thing in horror. I really liked how the whole story came together. If you're a steampunk fan and like swoonworthy heroes, this series is a definite read.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)

This is a review for book three in a series. There may be minor spoilers for the other two books. Consider yourself warned.

Guys! Guys! Ahh! It is finally here! Book 3! Yes!

Pirates, steampunk, alchemy, spies... I mean, what does this book NOT have?! It feels like it has everything! And it is all wrapped up so nicely and entertainingly!

The Turncoat's Gambit, as I have pointed out, is book 3 in The Inventor's Secret series. This makes it the final book for these characters and this world and it
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A damned good finish to a damned good trilogy! Gah I almost wish it wasn't over! I will admit to being mad about one thing but I'll get over it...eventually lol
Rebecca
A fitting finale; and I loved the ending! The first book is still my favorite but this one is much better than the second. Charolette and Linnet are everything I adore in YA heroines. If you are new to Steam Punk, this is a good series to attempt.
Rea K
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
PRAISE JESUS, I have reached the end of the series! Okay. The whole series wasn't as bad as it could have been. I mean, I wouldn't have been able to finish it if it was as horrible as Twilight or some trash like that.
I went into this book because the previous one ended with a cliffhanger. And we ended up right in the mind of Cow. I mean Cow. I mean Cow. I really mean Coe. That pile of trash. He's still a liar. And I feel nothing for him.
There are points where we flip into other people's minds,
Kathy Martin
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This conclusion to the Inventor's Secret trilogy was filled with action as Charlotte takes Grave and flees from New Orleans. She is still a revolutionary but she doesn't want Grave to be used by either the revolutionary forces or the Empire. They flee with pirates but are captured by bounty hunters who deliver them to Empire forces. They are split up with Charlotte taken to the Empire's high tech prison and Grave to tinkers who try to find out why he works.

Meanwhile, Charlotte's friends are
John
Last book in the series. Read for the sake of the cliffhanger ending of the previous book and for closure. I read this far, I might as well finish it.

Good ending, albeit somewhat sappy. Everyone is happy at the end, except for those that died, even if their deaths were completely predictable. Can't say too much about it without spoilers and if you haven't read the first two, what's the point? It ties up its lose ends and doesn't leave another book readily open for the future, thankfully.

Not a
Kayla❤️
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
First let me just say I read all three books in this series before I decided to post a review.

I really enjoyed the first book. I love seeing a badass female character such as Charlotte. Nothing excites me more then reading about a woman that doesnt need a man to take care of her.

All three books seemed to drag out though in the beginning and then rush through the best parts in the end. With that being said they all had good endings I just wish they would of been a little more detailed.

Final
Meghan
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The final chapter in one of the best series I have ever read, I wish it didn't have to end!
Lollita
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I hate how the love triangle was resolved, stupid.
Christine
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-na
As much as I was pleased with this series (and I loved it on many levels- the setting, the imagery, and it even avoided some tropes I hate and kept bracing to have come up!) I can't say that this is a 5-star ending. Sure the story was wrapped up, but it felt rather rushed and too neat and clean. That said, I did love the characters (namely Coe and Grave) and enjoyed this alternative steampunk history. But it was almost as if the real emotional actions happened around the characters instead of to ...more
Rebecca Wash
Mar 31, 2016 marked it as to-read
Omg! I need it! I need it!
Brian
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
And that's that. When I start a series, I finish it. When a series has its hooks in me, I can't put them down. Once complete, I feel like it's saying goodbye. This time, I felt nothing when it was done.
Unlike the first two, this one included POV of the other characters. I suppose the story couldn't be told strictly from Charlotte's view without a lot of Deus ex Machina throughout and not getting the motivations of other characters unless it was in a "well let me catch you up on what I've been
B.B. Morgan
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this finale of Creme's The Inventor's Secret series, Charlotte and her friends are put to the test.

This book has everything that I love from the other two books - adventure, an amazing world, lovable characters, and a continuous plot that never felt too fast or too slow.

Overall, I loved this series. I devoured it. I love steampunk, romantic interest, and adventure. It makes me want to write another steampunk novel, or take one of my waiting stories and revise with steampunk in mind.

The world
Megan
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dave Gamboa
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good sequel to The Conjurer's Riddle. After fleeing capture from New Orleans, Charlotte has to find refuge and escape the terrible Empire that is searching for her and her friend, Grave, who has a magical skill that may be the key to designing the ultimate soldiers. At all risks Charlotte protects him and is aided by a pirate, Jean-Baptiste Lachance, who is not always so giving. Along with Linnet, Meg, Grave and Jack, her very close friend who she likes but tries not to show it, they have to ...more
BookDragon
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The conclusion to the Inventor's Secret Trilogy.

Charlotte has aligned herself with pirates to keep her and Grave safe. But with a traitor dictating her every move Charlotte finds herself and Grave captured by the Empire.

With a turn of events and the traitor exposed Charlotte is able to escape. Going back the resistance however is not going to be so easy. To gain their trust and support back Charlotte and her friends must take out a target therefore creating a distraction for when the resistance
Valerie
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable end to the trilogy and quite an improvement over the dull second book. I do feel as if the whole story would have benefitted from being combined into two books. As it is written you have a first book suffers from a totally unsatisfying ending, a middle book that seems to really go no where, and a final book that begins in the middle of nothing before evolving into an exciting end. If the series was divided up as two books, the first endings around halfway through the plot of the ...more
Kay
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive-audio
Okay, I wasn't quite ready for that much HEA at the end. Granted, this is YA, so horrific, gut-wrenching endings may be too graphic, but this seemed a bit too sugary sweet. I loved the adventure and the tasks set before Charlotte certainly held danger, so having everything wrapped up neatly--almost with bows around it all--was a bit disappointing.

Of course, I'm a rather jaded senior citizen, so younger readers will likely applaud and cheer at how everyone fares. Even middle-grade readers of both
Ellie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
I really enjoyed the imaginative part of these books, envisioning what the US would be like if everything ran by steam and if we had lost the Revolutionary War. I enjoyed the politics throughout and, most of all, the inventions. The romance was too contrived for me, though, as were many of the plot points that I wanted to be more suspenseful. Things were a bit too neat and tidy at the end for my taste. I may not go on to seek out everything by Cremer, but I'm glad I gave the series a try.
Nina
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-reads
This wasn't the worst book I've read, I found it remotely entertaining and intriguing. Throughout the series thing that kept me move in was curiosity about grave. I don't feel that his overall story wrapped up very well but, it could have ended worse. I don't feel really thrilled that I have read these three books but I don't feel like I'm wasting my time either. This is like a middle ground book for me I guess.
Dana
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked this series a lot. It wasnt as meaty as I might have liked, but there was enough depth and substance to keep it interesting. Charlotte was a great main character who came into her own throughout the series. She learned that there is a lot more gray in the world and that adults make mistakes and dont know everything. The most important lesson she embodied was to be true to herself. ...more
jennifer
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I made it 1/3 of the way through. This is surprising bc it started out well, better than the the first book which was weak and the second had a ridiculous ending. But it quickly turned into more Nonsense and easy to guess twists. I caught myself being very bored and skipping paragraphs looking for more interesting happenings that just didn't come. Or if they happened were not fulfilling enough. Wish I could say nicer things bc years ago I read nightshade series and enjoyed that very much.
Megan
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was equal parts excited and sad to read this last book in an amazing series. It was a pleasure to fall back into this fascinating world of steampunk, alternate history, daring heroines and the power of loyalty.
I highly recommend reading this series and hope that maybe some day this world will be revisited!
~☆starlight
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good conclusion to a refreshing series , i seem to have enjoyed each book slightly more than the last this one was definitely my favourite of the three. So this book is basically the grand finale we get all the answers we needed and a few surprises thrown in , overall i was happy with the ending most lose ends were tied up nicely! And i enjoyed the character development 😁
Caitlyn Rhiannon
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'The Turncoat's Gambit' was the perfect end to this amazing series. I laughed, I cried, and I felt a little dead inside at certain points- (just because it broke my heart).
It was a magnificent read, Andrea Cremer's writing style is so captivating, that you feel like you are right there beside the characters.
Heather
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
While the alternative history was hard at times to embrace just for selfish reasons, I enjoyed the progress of these characters throughout this series and was glad of the way it came to a finish.

This author has a vivid world of steam punk during the Revolutionary period that is entertaining and consuming.
Kate
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good conclusion to the trilogy. Everything was wrapped up very tidily. Yet, you know that if Charlotte had stayed there would certainly have been issues arising with the new government etc.
Lyra
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, audio
Terrific end to the trilogy. I listed to the audiobooks and the narrator deserves special mention for her performance. It was a little weird to be in the deep third POV of characters other than Charlotte during the first half, but it worked.
Sweetheart_Seer
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I listened to the third on audio and just could not connect for whatever reason.

This one was the weakest for me and it sort of went downhill.

I was sad because I had really been enjoying the series...oh well. It happens sometimes.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Always Human - Season II
  • Always Human
  • Rebel Magisters (Rebel Mechanics, #2)
  • The Ghost in the Glass House
  • Lucky Stars (Mr. Wolf's Class, #3)
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives
  • Winterkill (Winterkill, #1)
  • The Lost Kingdom
  • Roast Mortem (Coffeehouse Mystery, #9)
  • Crown of Souls (Tox Files #2)
  • Conspiracy of Silence (Tox Files, #1)
  • The Voyage of the Frog
  • Thirst of Steel (The Tox Files, #3)
  • Surviving the City (Surviving the City, #1)
  • De Velours et d'Acier (Victorian Fantasy, #2)
  • Secrets and Suitors
  • Dentelle et nécromancie (Victorian Fantasy, #1)
  • Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
Andrea Cremer also known as Andrea Robertson, is the author of the internationally bestselling Nightshade series. She spent her childhood daydreaming and roaming the forests and lakeshores of Northern Wisconsin.

Andrea has always loved writing and has never stopped writing, but she only recently plunged into the deep end of the pool that is professional writing. Before she wrote her first novel,

The Inventor's Secret (3 books)
  • The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)
  • The Conjurer's Riddle (The Inventor's Secret, #2)

News & Interviews

“Youth is like being carried through life by a strong current," Admiral Winter said. "All you feel is the speed of the river, the thrill of rapids, never comprehending your utter lack of control, your constant peril.” 0 likes