Start by marking “My Sister Rosa” as Want to Read:
My Sister Rosa

My Sister Rosa

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  5,448 ratings  ·  1,263 reviews
What if the most terrifying person you know is your ten-year-old sister?

Seventeen-year-old Aussie Che Taylor loves his younger sister, Rosa. But he's also certain that she's a psychopath--clinically, threateningly, dangerously. Recently Rosa has been making trouble, hurting things. Che is the only one who knows; he's the only one his sister trusts. Rosa is smar
Published November 15th 2016 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about My Sister Rosa, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nia Kearney Good Point! Remember when Che was with his lawyer and his dad made them coffe, Che noticed a grain on the counter. He specifically stated that it…moreGood Point! Remember when Che was with his lawyer and his dad made them coffe, Che noticed a grain on the counter. He specifically stated that it didn't look like a coffee or dirt stain. Maybe some sort of drug?(less)
Aidyn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  5,448 ratings  ·  1,263 reviews

Start your review of My Sister Rosa
Caz (littlebookowl)
4.5 stars!! Maybe a 4.75, I don't know, I'm still reeling from the ending.
This was phenomenal. Rosa is so twisted, creepy and scary. I would be terrified if I had a sister like her!
Despite all she has done to him, and put him through, Che still cares deeply for Rosa, even if he too is a little scared of her. He was a wonderful protagonist. Probably one of the most realistic teenage male characters I have ever come across. The way he has so many conflicting emotions, his decisions, hi
❄️Nani❄️
3.75⭐

“Rosa is a ticking bomb. I don’t think it matters what you call it: psychopathy, sociopathy, antisocial personality disorder, evil, or the devil within. What matters is how to prevent the bomb from exploding.”

Pheeeww, where to begin...

The story's told from the first person POV of Che and as much as I dislike first-person narratives with a passion, surprisingly, I didn’t seem to mind it here because it's a coming of age story in which Che reaches many of the important benchmarks of being
C.G. Drews
Okay...um, WOW FREAKING WOW. This book was amazing. I had this gargantuan feeling that I would like this book because a) boxing (!!) and b) psychopaths. I am intensely interested in brain thingies and mental thingies (aren't I also eloquent?) and I just sooooo knew this would be a good book. AND I WAS NOT WRONG. OKAY, HOLY WOW. WHERE DO I EVEN START?!??

Lists. Obviously. Liiiiiists.

(But first, the story is basically about a boy who's little sister is an undiagnosed psychopath and he's basically reigning h
Emma Giordano
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!!! I really enjoyed this book and my issues with it that took away a half star were very very minimal. I would totally recommend! I may add a better review to this later, and I'm thinking of filming a video review if anyone is interested?

I received a free copy of this book from Soho Teen. I had no obligation to review this book and all opinions are my own.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q: ‘We’ve done an excellent job with our children, don’t you think?' (c) A number on them, more like it.
Q: Rosa was a toddler when I first made her promise not to kill. (c)
Q: I want to scream at them that I’m their seventeen-year-old son, not Rosa’s co-parent. But I am, even if they’ll never admit it. (c)

Bizarre, underresearched and overrated. Most of characters might want to try to get their heads out of their respective asses. It might miraculously cure them of their numerous conditions and(c)
Adam Silvera
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads, favorites
This is one of my favorite books of 2016 and I will continue talking it up at all my future events. The majority of thrillers I read are on the adult side, and I'll tell you now that although MY SISTER ROSA is so different content-wise from GONE GIRL/THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, it's equally addicting. When the premise of a book is a 17-year-old is trying to protect from the world from his 10-year-old psychopathic sister, you just know there's no happily ever after to expect. I knew it was going to be ...more
Taneika
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, aussie-ya
I had high expectations going into this book, and all of them were met!

My Sister Rosa is the story of a boy named Che, who moves from Sydney to New York with his mother, father and 10 year old sister, Rosa, who also happens to be a psychopath. Nobody except Che knows Rosa is a psychopath and if they do have some sort of idea, they deny it completely.

I read this book almost solely because the premise sounded absolutely awesome, and Justine Larbalestier delivered exactly th
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Underwhelming tbh. I was expecting a twisted thriller about a creepy little sister and instead I got a book about a guy that is obsessed with boxing that happens to have a strange little sister. There was also A LOT of discussion about religion, which is so not my thing. Probably wouldn't have picked this up if I had known about that. Either way though this was just pretty meh for me. Meh meh meh.
Suzanne
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an awful little girl.

But that terrible little creature made for a fascinating read. This was an interesting short book that was a little less creepy than I was hoping for but was still a very entertaining read. It is predictable and some of it is not as accurate as many will hope in terms of the psychology aspects but its a fiction book so I do not niche pick.

Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
Amelia
Wow!!

There are so many things I love about this book. If I ever find the time I will write a full review on my blog.

I love how diverse all the characters were:
- there was a girl who had two mothers
- a character who was neither a girl or a boy
- a character classed herself as Korean-american
It was good to see that not all the character were the same.

I loved the story!
Absolutely amazing read.
Tammie
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-dark
I loved this very dark and disturbing book. The book centers around 17 year old Che and his life that revolves around his creepy little sister Rosa- who he strongly believes is a psychopath. It's a little on the slower side but well worth the read. The twist at the end- never saw it coming!!!!!
Laurie Anderson
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, best-of-the-best
Starts out as a fun YA w terrific characters and then gets really scary in a wonderful, creepy, horrifying way. Stunning conclusion. I really loved this book!
Natalie Monroe
"The flight is long: Rosa will get bored, she'll look for ways to make trouble without Sally and David, our parents, finding out. That's the game she plays. My job is to stop her."

Question: do you like contemporary romances and books about mundane everyday life?

If you do, then congrats. Stop reading this review right now and buy My Sister Rosa. It has spades of diversity, a male protagonist dealing with everyday problems, and a creepy sister for that extra kick.

But if you're like me and went in expecting somethin
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
3.5 but I'll round it up!

Imagine having an adorable and brilliant 10yo sister… but what if she was a psychopath?

The premise of this book really intrigue me and I had to read it! You're following a 17yo boy who tries to keep his sister under control while trying to live his own life.

I enjoyed the book - it slowed down a bit in the middle then picked up again.

With that said, I think I would have enjoyed it more as an adult book than YA. It’s definitely creepy a
Tatiana
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 4, 2016, aus-nz, starred-2016
What is good: suspense and dread and fascinating conversations with a 10-year old (alleged) psychopath who doesn't really understand how human emotions work and wants to learn how to pass for a normal person.

What is not: perfect in every way teen romance that is incredibly boring; equally boring descriptions of boxing; even more boring pages and pages of boring texting. I respect that Larbalestier is such a socially conscientious and earnest writer (just check out her blog), but very often her
Emily Mead
How do I even BEGIN to talk about this book? It was brilliant. Terrifying. Diverse. Gripping (read it in one sitting). There was so much going on and it was so TWISTED.

Gah.

If this is what 2016 promises in terms of YA, I am ridiculously excited.

Full review to come!

_____________________________________

After reading this book, you’ll think everyone’s a psychopath.

Seriously.

But of course, that’ll come AFTER you get over the shock of this book, becaus/>
Cheryl
Seventeen year old Che Taylor is tired of moving around from country to country. As he sits in the plane next to his ten year old sister, Rosa, he wishes he could go back to Australia. His parents are planning to settle in New York City where friends have found an apartment for them. For awhile now, Che has felt uneasy about his little sister. She is adorable—so many people have commented about how much she resembles Shirley Temple with her blonde hair, huge blue eyes, and dimpled smile. But Che ...more
Fares
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When the blurb is more interesting than the book :(
I expected more of this book. It was such a promising plot, I mean the person that you want to protect the most is the person that scares you the most, of course I'm going to fall for that.

Plot

Che had a lovely family, an interesting family, a weird family… but it was his ten years old sister that was too pretty, too smart, too good to be true. Che made a psychopath list and Rosa checked it all, so he made her promise not to kill and/>
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Have you ever met a psychopath? Although they represent less than 2% of the world’s population, how would you know if you’ve encountered, talked to or grew up with one?

That’s what makes My Sister Rosa absolutely terrifying. Che talks about his experience looking after his 10 year old sister from birth, who is also a psychopath. She can’t feel empathy, and takes pleasure in causing pain on others. Her emotionless words and c
Mila Reads Alot  ☕
Great read since the very beginning, Truley a chilling read. Loved the twist at the end of the book totally didn't expect that.
Rebecca
Actual rating: 4.5

Duuuuuuuude. You all know I love morally grey characters, but Rosa is like above and beyond that. She's not morally gray, she's a legitimate psychopath. I love the way her character was dealt with though. She wasn't a typical, horror character. She was real, which makes her even freaking creepier. Because people like her really do exist.

Che was a super interesting character. I loved seeing things from his POV and finding things out alongside with him as shit went d
Peaches
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
For all of the easily-pleased people giving this book 5 stars (really? Do you not read often?) I recommend We Need to Talk About Kevin, which is what Larbalestier could only dream of emulating.
Maybe ten-year-old psychopaths aren't horrifying enough for this jaded reader, or maybe this book just sucks, but, either way, I was super disappointed. The build up to this book was strong considering Laurie Halse Anderson, an acclaimed YA author (though she hasn't written anything decent in years), state
Ursula Uriarte
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Wow just wow!! One of the best psychological thrillers I've ever read! Highly recommend it!
K.
4.5 stars.

This book was...wowsers. It was compelling and creepy and messed up and I COULDN'T STOP READING IT. I mean, a story about a 17 year old guy who's concerned that his 10 year old sister is a psychopath was never going to be the easiest of reads, but holy hell.

What I loved
- The diversity. Not only does this book spend a lot of time dealing with characters who aren't neurotypical, but the love interest is a dark-skinned African-American girl with two mothers, one of whom is a preacher and
Aimee
I received a copy of My Sister Rosa from Allen and Unwin New Zealand to review. I’ve never read a book by Justine Larbalestier before but as soon as I read the synopsis for this I wanted to read it.

I don’t even know where to start this review. I’ve never read a book like this before and I was hooked from the first chapter. This book and Rosa are so disturbing. Rosa wasn’t made out to be a scary psychopath like the ones out of movies and TV shows, Justine made her human and that’s wha
Justine
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
An absolutely chilling account of a teenager struggling to live with his ten year old psychopathic sister, and to protect the world from her.

The characters are fabulous, from the main character Che, to his array of friends, to the icy little sister Rosa, whom almost no one suspects of being a monster disguised as Shirley Temple. I felt nothing but compassion for Che and the stress he has to live under. It's a great story of a good person trying desperately to survive in a situation w
Book Riot Community
A YA novel about a boy who is the only person in his family to recognize his ten-year-old sister, Rosa, for what she is: a psychopath. It sounds like the premise of an episode of Law & Order (and probably is), but this book really avoids the sensationalism of prime time TV. It looks at the nuances of psychopathic behavior, how that manifests in children, how it should be addressed by family members and therapists, and the nuances of living with such an unusual family dynamic. That being said ...more
Erin
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well DAMN!! This book is CRAZY!!! My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier is about a teenage boy's suspicion that his 10 year old sister Rosa is a psychopath. The book starts off slow and I wasn't really into it but once the plot really kicks in it sucks you in and won't let you go. I was chilled to my bones reading this book and I am now more certain than ever that I don't not ever want to have children. This book is terrifying in such a low key way that you don't even realize it until later. I ...more
Madison
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like books about mental illness'
OH MYYYYYYY GOOOoOOooSH.

How do I even begin to explain this story?
Damn, the first half of the book was mild but the second half.. HOLY HELL.
Everything went to hell and my heart is shattered to a million pieces all because of a little girl.

Rosa likes to kill and force her friends to kill small animals and I have seen quite a few murder documentaries and all of the murderers killed small animals when they were Rosa's age.
So let's just say Rosa freaks me the hell out. Che is the main character and his life is centered around his little siste
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling and absolutely terrifying. It made me crazy to put it down to get on with real life, because it's one of the best books I've read in ages. Gripping and intense.
I have only adjectives and adverbs for this novel. Well, and a ton of love.
YA Buddy Readers'...: My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier, Starting Oct 15, 2019 7 10 Nov 01, 2019 09:36PM
DiverseCity: Chapters 41-42 3 10 Mar 31, 2018 01:32PM

• When Light Left Us
  • Sawkill Girls
  • All Eyes on Us
  • The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein
Justine Larbalestier is an Australian young-adult fiction author. She is best known for the Magic or Madness trilogy: Magic or Madness, Magic Lessons and the newly released Magic's Child. She also wrote one adult non-fiction book, the Hugo-nominated The Battle of the Sexes in Science Fiction (Best Related Book, 2003), and edited another, Daughters of Earth: Feminist Science Fiction in the Twentieth Century.

Her surname has banother,
“Didn’t anyone ask you where your parents are?"
"They asked. Especially about my parents."
"What did you tell them?"
"I said I ate them."
"Jesus, Rosa.”
7 likes
“Killing things shouldn't make you happy, Rosa. That's why they're worried.” 4 likes