Start by marking “Mindful Games: Sharing Mindfulness and Meditation with Children, Teens, and Families” as Want to Read:

A playful approach for cultivating mindfulness in kids, with sixty simple games to develop attention and focus, and identify and regulate emotions--by the author of The Mindful Child.
Playing games is a great way for kids to develop their focusing and attention skills and to become more mindful. Susan Kaiser Greenland has had a lot of success bringing mindfulness to the cl
Published November 15th 2016 by Shambhala

Start your review of Mindful Games: Sharing Mindfulness and Meditation with Children, Teens, and Families
Brooke Anne
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Applicable and easy to implement knowledge and techniques!
Cariadne
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like where this book is trying to go and I liked some of the stories used to illustrate a point. but the exercises or "games" are meh and not going to help bring it home for me and the children. Again, the stories -- which do not originate from the author -- shared are gems and I think if the author was to leverage these with the guided questions, I think that would have been more powerful. DNF.
Michele Iwanus
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of introductory practices that would work for adults new to mindfulness. I love how the author talks about getting in tune with our physical feelings as well as thoughts and emotions. The "Table of Themes" will make for great affirmations for the adults I try to teach. I use some of the techniques for breathing with adults to share with their children- it often motivates them to practice when they see differences in someone they love.
thePromoParrot
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Mindful Games: Sharing Mindfulness and Meditation with Children, Teens, and Families by Susan Kaiser Greenland is a delightful, enlightening and life-changing book that seizes and translates on to the reader the importance and spirit of mindfulness in a way that very few people can. A delight to read the book and a fun to engage in the activities, the book is primarily targeted at people working with children, but is bound to be enjoyed by any age-group and people from all walks of life.

Featurin
Kristine
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by an elementary school counselor from my positive psychology program to support my final project working with teenage boys on headspace. I loved this book and wish it were around when my children were younger to have been able to teach them early on about the power of mindfulness and meditation. The book is well designed about the following six life skills - Focusing, Quieting, Seeing, Reframing, Caring and Connecting. Every skill is touch with simple mindful gam ...more
Debbie
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started this book in the spring, left it in my classroom over the summer (which was inaccessible), and then had to restart again in August, but I'm glad I did.

I've been doing more mindfulness activities in my high school classroom as a way to start off class or respond to stresses I see in my students. The Mindful Educators Essentials class from Mindful Schools was a good foundation, but I don't find myself clicking with the tone of their lessons as quickly as I hoped, despite how much I have
Scott
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-buy
There is lots of great reference material in this book. Greenland organizes the games around certain themes. There is a deck of large cards with all the games on them that I purchased separately after borrowing this book from the library. Her website also has some free resources that are useful for introducing mindfulness to children (as well as adults). I’m still interested in reading her other book The Mindful Child.

If anyone is interested both Greenland and Annaka Harris (Sam Harris’ wife) di
Alex
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full of games to subtly teach mindfulness to children through making them aware of both their physical bodies and the nature of their own minds.

My only criticism: each game has an age rating, and most of the time it says 'all ages'. Maybe I'm being too literal, but I have a 14 month old. I would have liked more guidance on a lowest age to begin (even if the answer is a range like 4-6).

Otherwise brilliant book. Will pay huge dividends in their future.
Michael
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Teaching isn't a skill exclusively owned by teachers and administrators.

This book should be required reading in schools everywhere. Only if teachers were trained to do this which isn't affordable or scalable.

At the end of the day, it will require parents to teach their children around meditation and mindfulness. How do we as a society make this happen?

I feel my mind calming already!

Patsy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book during my wakeful periods in the middle of the night, and then practiced mindfulness to help me fall back to sleep. Though written with the intent of teaching mindfulness to children, this book was extremely helpful to me. A great tool for parents who want to hone their own mindful skills and share them with their children.
Michael MacDonald
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for all ages.

While the book is aimed at parents and teachers to help kids and teens, there’s enough wisdom here to be useful to most open-minded people.

Quite worthwhile.
Shira
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Insightful and straightforward resource for sharing mindfulness with children. Susan is certainly a leader to follow in this effort to support young children.
Frederic Vandaele
Some nice mindful games. Well explained with context & quotes. ...more
Antonio
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice perception and advices from the author to implement mindfulness. I believe that several of this game will perfectly fit with adults too.
Relyn
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-lessons
I got this book to use in the library and for my teachers to use in their classrooms. I think it is going to be a great resource.
Megan
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic, highly readable resource for anyone wanting to incorporate mindfulness with children. This is one I'm purchasing as a reference, and am eager to incorporate some of these intomy yoga storytime, as well as teaching yoga for older kids/adults. Definitely will keep my eye out for the author's other work, writing and otherwise.
Tanya
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really great book. I’m definitely going to recommend this.
Melissa
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!

I really loved this book. I have been trying to incorporate mindfulness and !meditation more into my own life and feel like this book had some great tips for introducing it to my children, as well as children in my class at school.
Ann
Dec 10, 2018
Heather Hopper
Dec 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The The MindUP Curriculum: Grades 3-5: Brain-Focused Strategies for Learning—and Living
  • The The MindUP Curriculum: Grades PreK–2: Brain-Focused Strategies for Learning—and Living
  • Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too
  • Understand Deep Emotions - The Mood Cards: Explore More Complex Emotions and Behaviours for Healing, Happiness and Inner Peace
  • Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
  • Raising Good Humans: A Mindful Guide to Breaking the Cycle of Reactive Parenting and Raising Kind, Confident Kids
  • The Last Volcano: A Man, a Romance, and the Quest to Understand Nature's Most Magnificant Fury
  • Good Morning, I Love You: Mindfulness and Self-Compassion Practices to Rewire Your Brain for Calm, Clarity, and Joy
  • Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety
  • The Highly Sensitive: How to Stop Emotional Overload, Relieve Anxiety, and Eliminate Negative Energy
  • The Complete Dog Breed Book: Choose the Perfect Dog For You
  • A Really Good Day: How Microdosing Made a Mega Difference in My Mood, My Marriage, and My Life
  • The Other Bennet Sister
  • Alive Together
  • The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters