Start by marking “Girl in Pieces” as Want to Read:
Girl in Pieces

Girl in Pieces

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  11,650 Ratings  ·  2,027 Reviews
Charlotte Davis is in pieces. At seventeen she’s already lost more than most people lose in a lifetime. But she’s learned how to forget. The broken glass washes away the sorrow until there is nothing but calm. You don’t have to think about your father and the river. Your best friend, who is gone forever. Or your mother, who has nothing left to give you.

Every new scar harde
Published August 30th 2016 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Girl in Pieces, please sign up.

Emily May
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ellen Hopkins fans
2 1/2 stars. An extra 1/2 star because I think a lot of readers will love this - it's just a certain type of storytelling that always leaves me cold.

The many fans of Ellen Hopkins should love this book. It's a dark contemporary dealing with self-harm and it's written in a mostly fragmented series of one/few paragraph chapters (sometimes they are longer). Glasgow is not afraid to go there and covers a whole range of topics, from cutting to abuse to suicide.

Firstly, I didn't like the writing. Anot
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although this book tells a story of people being cruel to themselves, it is a book about being gentle with yourself. It seems odd to call this novel kind, as it was often a savage read (it is unflinching in its portrayal of self-harm, homelessness, addiction, and desperation) but it has such a sweet heart, such a piercing desire for its characters to improve themselves in every way, that hope persists in even the darkest moments. Glasgow's use of adult characters to challenge, support, and mirro ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

LIKE A BABY HARP SEAL, I'M ALL WHITE. MY FOREARMS ARE thickly bandaged, heavy as clubs. My thighs are wrapped tightly, too; white gauze peeks out from the shorts Nurse Ava pulled from the lost and found box behind the nurses' station.

Like an orphan, I came here with no clothes. Like an orphan, I was wrapped in a bedsheet and left on the lawn of Regions Hospital in the freezing sleet and snow, blood seeping through the flowered sheet.

The security guard who found me was bathed in menthol cigaret
Lola  Reviewer
DNF

I think I’m a fairly patient person. I do, after all, tutor a nine-year-old girl who prefers to spend her time trying to make me laugh in any way possible during our sessions instead of doing the work I assign her. (She’s adorable, though.)

But my patience has its limits, especially when it comes to books. There are so many types of books in the world, which is just perfect because there are also so many types of people. There are those books that have a plot, and those that don’t.

GIRL IN PIE
C.G. Drews
Wow this was a seriously heavy, but beautifully written book. Like I knew it'd be about dark things when I picked it up from the library, but it still made my HEART ACHE with just how much trauma and damage Charlie went through. Like, life really sucks sometimes, okay? I think this book did a good job of balancing the dark realism of mental illness/addiction + a smidgeon of hope. Although I kind of feel like I've been smushed like a watermelon sundae. This was HARD TO READ.

So the themes are pret
Jacqueline
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 stars

Honestly don't even know where to begin.
Well, pretty much I had really high expectations for this book and sadly it didn't live up to them. I myself self-harmed for two years. It's something very personal to me and when I read the author herself was inspired to write this book through her own experiences that gave me hope. I can happily say my favorite thing about this novel was how realistic Kathleen Glasgow handled not only the self-harm aspect but the mental illnesses found in this
S.M. Parker
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that gripped me about this book was the writing. Glasgow’s style is so thick with emotion and yet sparse on the page. In places, it reads like poetry. I was immediately drawn in by Glasgow’s words, the book’s atmospheric setting. Then there was the character’s struggle with her sense of self, her mistrust of others. Charlie’s pain was so pervasive that it felt like layers of gauze being stripped away from a wound. Layer after layer we see what and who has hurt Charlie. Glasgow is ...more
Beatrice Masaluñga
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, arc
Thank you Penguin Random House / Delacorte Press for the ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Full review posted at Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic

Charlotte Davis lost everything in her life; her father, her mother, her best friend and her direction in life. She became homeless and lived on a sex house where she witnessed abuse. She doesn't have a good relationship with her mother because she neglected and abused her. Handling all these is too much for her, given she's 17 years o
Sana
I made it. I finally made it through 400 and something freaking pages. This book started out great, but as I read on, it just got worse and worse. I'm probably one of those 5% of readers this book didn't have an effect on.

Trigger warning: Self-harm, drugs, alcohol, sexual abuse

●I was okay with the writing. This book is written in three parts. (Honestly, I don't really get the point of having it written in three parts.) Sometimes there was a paragraph a page sometimes it was long. I actually lik
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was an okay read. Not really something that I would normally reach for, but I’m not mad that I read it. I will say that I had an EXTREMELY hard time getting into the beginning of this, but once the main character moved cities things really started holding my attention and I ended up enjoying it in the end.

Also: I read this for MissSassyKassie’s book club for February! The live show will be on Sunday 3/4 at 1pm PST on her channel!
*TANYA*
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a minute to get into this story. The style and narrative are unlike anything I usually read. I quite enjoyed this book and I would like follow up to see how the characters evolved.
Laura Silverman
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not one to write long reviews. This book is spectacular for many reasons, and there will be many reviews digging into those reasons. For me, there is one standout reason you must read this novel: there is no such thing as "all the way better."

Whether it's dealing with self-harm like the protagonist Charlotte, or an ED, or depression, or chronic illness, or alcohol addiction, or ANYTHING, recovery has no endpoint. You live with your physical or metaphorical scars forever. Yes, there are high
Dahlia
This book is ridiculously good. It reminds me of everything I loved reading when I was a teen/early 20-something, most notably Mark Lindquist and Stephanie Kuehnert. It's realistic urban survivalism combined with the raw, real truth of girlhood, and all matters of second chances (and third and fourth) without taking easy paths. Yes, it shattered my heart over and over, as I knew it would, but never in a way that felt irreparable, which feels like exactly the point.
Simona Stoica
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recenzia completă: http://bit.ly/2tc4LLj

„- Ar trebui să ni se spună încă de când venim aici că s-a terminat cu dorinţele. Că după ce am făcut ce-am făcut, n-o să ne mai iubească nimeni. Nu în mod normal.”

Scriu următoarele rânduri cu ochii înotând în lacrimi. Lovesc tastele cu putere, furioasă pe autoare, furioasă pe mine, pe naivitatea mea, pe uşurinţa cu care am fost atrasă în poveste. Nu am fost pregătită pentru O fată din bucăţi. Suferinţa regăsită între pagini, prăbuşirea psihică, spiritua
Laurie Flynn
To say that I had been eagerly anticipating this book would be a grand understatement. I heard it pitched as a modern-day GIRL, INTERRUPTED, and that was enough for me to know I had to read it immediately. A fear sometimes exists with books you crave that badly- the fear that they won't live up to your expectations, but I didn't even have that feeling with this one. I knew somewhere in my soul that I would connect with it and love it beyond words. And I did.

GIRL IN PIECES is the story of Charli
Kerry
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of reading an ARC of this book well in advance of its Fall 2016 release date.

This was such an emotional reading experience for me that I struggle to describe it well. The writing is like nothing I have ever read--so piercing and beautiful and brutal and raw and true--that it truly has to be experienced first hand. There were passages that were so stunning, so shockingly brilliant that it quite literally took my breath away.
The story itself is made of the darkest dark and the
Renata
Dec 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stand-alone
The thing is...the more drama you add won't mean it'll make people suffer more, it's even more, it'll make you roll your eyes for a long time and it's disturbing. I'll write a review soon.
Stefani Sloma
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
Haunting and heartbreaking but so very beautiful. From Kathleen's author's note: "and sometimes the dark can get pretty dark, but it's filled with people who understand." Full review soon.
Taneika
4.5 out of 5 stars
Review to come
_racheljane_
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
While reading Girl in Pieces, I went back and forth trying to figure out if I was enjoying it or not. It is a very emotionally heavy book. It weighed heavily on me and put me into a very weird place mentally. I can happily say my favorite thing about this novel was how realistic Kathleen Glasgow handled not only the self-harm aspect but the mental illnesses found in this book as well. It is a very hard book to rate just because I think it would be hard to enjoy a book with so much raw and honest ...more
Jeff Zentner
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving, haunting, and harrowing. Reading this book is like standing in a pounding surf, or being caught outside in a ferocious storm. It will batter you. It will cause you discomfort. It will leave you awestruck over its sheer power that threatens to unmoor you and beauty that threatens to overwhelm you.

And when you're finished, you'll know what it feels like to survive what you never imagined you could and to walk into the light of a new day.
Kathryn
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kathleen Glasgow, author of Girl in Pieces, was riding a bus when she glanced at her seatmate and spotted the all-too-familiar scars of a fellow cutter. The desperation to reach out and say: “I’m just like you. Look! You are not alone!,” was overwhelming, but fear silenced her. Now, years later, Ms. Glasgow wrote Girl in Pieces to make amends. To say--YOU ARE NOT ALONE--and that despite how all-encompassing the darkness may seem, there’s always light. You just have to know where to look.

The sto
Delphine Lurin
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a morbid story from the first page. Everything that happens is bad and rawly portrayed. There is no romanticization or good here. I was initially intrigued by the synopsis but was by no means prepared for what I read. This book was just so much to digest and take in, I had to put it down multiple times just to process the overwhelming darkness blanketing each page. Mental illness, suicide, self-harm, rape, love, abuse are all ever so evocatively described. Literally everything that happe ...more
Julia Sapphire
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it

TW: Self Harm, Suicide, Substance Abuse, Alcoholism, Sexual Assault, Rape, PTSD and more

"Everyone has that moment I think, the moment when something so momentous happens that it rips your very being into small pieces. And then you have to stop. For a long time, you gather your pieces. And it takes such a very long time, not to fit them back together, but to assemble them in a new way, not necessarily a better way. More, a way you can live with until you know for certain that thi
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Girl in Pieces is momentous, a narrative beautifully written with tenderness, emotion and conviction. Kathleen Glasgow is a remarkable author, drawing on her own experiences to lend voice to Charlie, a girl who feels irrevocably tarnished and uses self harm to soothe her emotional ache. Charlie's character represents so many young women within our communities. Girls who have been abused, who haven't been afforded the opportunity of a loving family, to experience kindness or sanctuary. After her ...more
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
I think this was just a matter of personal taste for me. I told myself a year ago that I would stop reading so many YA contemporaries because I'm pretty sure I've grown out of the genre. But here I am a year later leaving more mediocre reviews for more YA contemporaries haha.

I've read this story dozens of times by now, different characters and slightly different plots but it's all basically the same story. Besides that... this book had some other issues for me.

It felt like the author was border
Danielle
I just, I really don't know how I feel about this book. Some parts I loved, other parts I hated. I think it's important, but I just, ugh.

Review on my blog:
Ahsen
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay. Depressing and slow. But i recommend.
Daniel Afloarei
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cartea asta mi-a frânt inima și m-a făcut sa iubesc și sa urăsc oamenii în același timp. Felicitări editurii Storia pentru traducere!

Recenzia și concursul aici:

Carla
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 33%.
I tried to read at least 50% but I couldn't do it.
This writing style always keept me on a distance and I didn't care about Charlie at all. There where terrible things happen to her but as a reader you just got half of the information. That was how I felt...like suddenly she was talking about boys and I just couldn't understand their relationship. It annoyed me. And of course the topic was hard but that wasn't what kept me from going on.
So in the end I think it's better to end it (eve
self harm 5 30 Apr 08, 2018 01:03PM
SassyBookClub: PART TREE - page 305 - 401 3 16 Feb 22, 2018 04:32PM
SassyBookClub: PART ONE - page 1-101 1 16 Feb 04, 2018 09:38AM
Crazy for Young A...: May: Girl in Pieces Discussion Thread 4 25 May 18, 2017 06:03PM
Square In Wonderl...: Girl in Pieces [SPOILER Discussion] 1 34 Nov 16, 2016 07:07AM
Square In Wonderl...: Girl in Pieces [Non-Spoiler Discussion] 1 9 Nov 16, 2016 07:05AM
  • The Weight of Zero
  • Amal Unbound
  • My So-Called Bollywood Life
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • Look Both Ways
  • The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything, #1)
  • Just Friends
  • Tell Me Something Real
  • Seven Days of You
  • Everyone We've Been
  • Into White
  • Enter Title Here
Kathleen Glasgow lives in Arizona. She likes musty old paperbacks from used bookstores that have cats wandering the aisles, cheesecake, coffee, and the Isle of Skye. Visit her on Twitter (@kathglasgow), Instagram (misskathleenglasgow), or her website (www.kathleenglasgowbooks.com).
More about Kathleen Glasgow
“Everyone has that moment I think, the moment when something so momentous happens that it rips your very being into small pieces. And then you have to stop. For a long time, you gather your pieces. And it takes such a very long time, not to fit them back together, but to assemble them in a new way, not necessarily a better way. More, a way you can live with until you know for certain that this piece should go there, and that one there.” 93 likes
“That's how hearts get broken, you know. When you believe in promises.” 88 likes