Start by marking “World Without End” as Want to Read:
World Without End

World Without End (Kingsbridge #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  152,918 Ratings  ·  9,706 Reviews
The bestselling sequel to Pillars of the Earth

On the day after Halloween, in the year 1327, four children slip away from the cathedral city of Kingsbridge. They are a thief, a bully, a boy genius and a girl who wants to be a doctor. In the forest they see two men killed.

As adults, their lives will be braided together by ambition, love, greed and revenge. They will see pros
Paperback
Published March 7th 2008 by Macmillan (first published October 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about World Without End, please sign up.

Metzie http://ken-follett.com/news/
A Column of Fire will be published in September 2017

Ken's next novel, A Column of Fire, will form one of the 'Kingsbridge'…more
A Column of Fire will be published in September 2017

Ken's next novel, A Column of Fire, will form one of the 'Kingsbridge' series, with The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. It will be published in September 2017.

"It is a spy story set in the sixteenth century, during the reign of Elizabeth I of England." Ken says." There were many assassination plots against the Queen, so the people around her set up an espionage system to foil those sixteenth century terrorists. This was the beginning of the British secret service that eventually gave us James Bond."

The story begins in 1558 where the ancient stones of Kingsbridge Cathedral look down on a city torn apart by religious conflict. As power in England shifts precariously between Catholics and Protestants, high principles clash bloodily with friendship, loyalty, and love.... The real enemies, then as now, are not the rival religions. The true battle pitches those who believe in tolerance and compromise against the tyrants who would impose their ideas on everyone else — no matter what the cost.

Will Willard wants nothing more than to marry Margery Fitzgerald. But when the lovers find themselves on opposing sides of the religious divide sweeping across the country, Will goes to work for Princess Elizabeth. When she becomes queen, all Europe turns against England. The shrewd, determined young monarch sets up the country’s first secret service, to give her early warning of assassination plots, rebellions and invasion plans. Over a turbulent half-century, the love between Will and Margery seems doomed, as extremism sparks violence from Edinburgh to Geneva. Elizabeth clings precariously to her throne and her principles, protected by a small, dedicated group of resourceful spies and courageous secret agents.

A Column of Fire will be published in the United States and Canada on 12 September 2017 by Viking Books, a Penguin Random House imprint. It will be published in Spanish in the autumn of 2017 by Plaza & Janés, an imprint of Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial.

Much of the novel is set in Kingsbridge, but part of the action takes place in Seville, Spain.

Viking Books

Plaza & Janés

(less)
Taryn Braband Not necessary at all. However, Pillars of the Earth is SUCH a wonderful book that I do recommend reading them in order. You'll enjoy the entire…moreNot necessary at all. However, Pillars of the Earth is SUCH a wonderful book that I do recommend reading them in order. You'll enjoy the entire series.(less)

Emily May
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We who are born poor have to use cunning to get what we want. Scruples are for the privileged.

I must confess-- I am addicted to these Ken Follett novels. I finished World Without End and had to pick up A Column of Fire immediately. I'm also going to get to his Century trilogy at some point. These books are bloodstained historical soap operas and I just can't get enough.

Follett knows how to create exactly the right amount of drama and set it to the gory backdrop of history. I've always loved b
Stephen
Put some towels down because I sense a fully formed gush geyser about to spill all over this review. This book was fantastic and really did it for me. I loved it, all 1000+ pages, and I wouldn’t have minded if it was considerably longer (TWSS).

After more than loving The Pillars of the Earth (that’s right, I lurved it), I had tall hopes for this sorta sequel and let me tell you it was more than up to the task.

I was parched and hungry for a good meaty read. Well consider me gorged and my story
Lynn
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pillars of the Earth fans
This "companion" novel to Follett's 1989 classic The Pillars of the Earth is set in the same community, 200 years later. I'd been excited about it ever since I heard it was coming out this fall - Maybe too excited, because it just didn't live up to my expectations.

The first half of the book seemed a sort-of ho-hum retread of "Pillars". In place of Jack Builder, we have his look-alike great-great-great-many-times-over grandson, Merthin. Instead of Aliena, we get Caris (who I wanted to slap severa
Amalia Gavea
“Whether I’ve been good or bad, I don’t think God will be fooled by a last-minute change of heart.”

‘’World Without End’’ is the second installment in Follett’s Kingsbridge series and what a world it is….Set during one of the most turbulent times in European History, amidst the beginning of the Hundred Years’ War and the nightmare of the Black Death that swept over the continent causing the deaths of an unthinkable percentage of the population, it is one more example of why Historical Fiction i
Dan Schwent
Set two centuries after Pillars of the Earth, the people of Kingsbridge are at it again. The cathedral built in Pillars is in disrepair after part of the roof caved in, the bridge collapsed, and the prior is dead. Also, the constant maneuvering continues...

So, I fell into a trap with this one. After devouring Dinocalypse Now in a morning, my girlfriend asked if I managed to read an entire book in four hours. I said I had and she slammed me with this, saying it shouldn't take me more than a few d
Bookdragon Sean
Here’s a book that completely copies the first book in the series. Here’s a book that follows the same sense of narrative progression, character development and resolution as it predecessor. It is one who's characters bear a striking resemblance to their ancestors in terms of individual personality and their place within the story; yet, for all the repetition, Follett churns out an equally as engrossing story as that of The Pillars of the Earth.

What have I to complain about? This is one of those
La Petite Américaine
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Non-anal types who enjoy guilty pleasure reading
Recommended to La Petite Américaine by: Nicole
In all practical theory, this book should be on my 'Sucked' shelf. It's a tale of the Middle Ages, the gross injustices of the time, and it truly amounts to a thousand-page Medieval soap opera. It hasn't got much to do with it's predecessor The Pillars of the Earth , except that it's in the same location 200 years later, with characters that are "descendants" of the Pillars characters. There's none of the complex building and architectural aspects found in Pillars, the graphic sex and violence ...more
James
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Follett finally completed the sequel to his evergreen historical novel, The Pillars of the Earth, and although I was compelled by the story enough to read all 1024 pages in a week, I was saddened at how poorly the book compares with its predecessor.

It is interesting to consider the nearly 20 years between the first book and this sequel. Many things have changed in our culture since then, leading Follett to inject even more egregious anachronisms into this book than the first. For example, the ch
James
5 stars to Ken Follett's World Without End. One of my favorite books of all time... I was just mesmerized by the characters and everything they went thru. It is a MUST read.

It's a long read, and it takes place hundreds of years ago, but if you can handle the primitive nature of the timeline, the various plots and subplots will astound you. Amazing.

I kept getting angry at all the tragedy thrown at the two main characters. How could they suffer so much. And for years. I'll stop there as I don't wa
Matt
After a lengthy hiatus Ken Follett returns to the series with a second epic tome, (if you pardon the pun) building on the Kingsbridge Cathedral theme laid out in Pillars of the Earth. It is now the mid-1300s, two centuries after Tom Builder, Jack, Aliena, and Prior Phillip helped shape this community. Their presence is felt through ancestral breadcrumbs and mentioned throughout the complex narrative that seeks to breathe new life into Kingsbridge. The narrative develops early with the emergence ...more
Good but with problems. Thoughts? 4 24 Jan 13, 2017 09:45PM
2018 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. World Without End by Ken Follett 3 30 Oct 01, 2015 07:22PM
TV series 5 86 Jul 03, 2015 12:28AM
World Without End vs Pillars of the Earth 10 221 Feb 20, 2015 08:58AM
Informal Poll 21 169 Feb 06, 2015 05:38PM
  • Falls the Shadow  (Welsh Princes, #2)
  • Azincourt
  • Das zweite Königreich
  • The Religion (Tannhauser, #1)
  • The Greatest Knight (William Marshal, #2)
  • Caesar's Women (Masters of Rome, #4)
  • Solomon's Song (The Potato Factory, #3)
  • The Death of Kings (Emperor, #2)
  • The Rebels of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #2)
  • The Last Great Dance on Earth (Josephine Bonaparte, #3)
  • The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, #2)
Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 160 million copies of the 31 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages.

Born on June 5, 1949, in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a tax inspector, Ken was educated at state schools and went on to graduate from University College, London, with an Honours degree in philosophy. He was made a fellow of the coll
More about Ken Follett...

Kingsbridge (3 books)
  • The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)
  • A Column of Fire (Kingsbridge, #3)
“you should first follow the plow if you want to dance the harvest jig.” 38 likes
“We’re all good when it suits us, he used to say: that doesn’t count. It’s when you want so badly to do something wrong—when you’re about to make a fortune from a dishonest deal, or kiss the lovely lips of your neighbor’s wife, or tell a lie to get yourself out of terrible trouble—that’s when you need the rules. Your integrity is like a sword, he would say: you shouldn’t wave it until you’re about to put it to the test.” 33 likes