Start by marking “Please Say Please!: Penguin's Guide to Manners” as Want to Read:
Please Say Please!: Penguin's Guide to Manners

Please Say Please!: Penguin's Guide to Manners

Penguin is having a party, and his nine adorable animal guests have their manners all mixed up. From one silly incident to another, the guests learn where to put your napkin (not on your head!), how to sip your milk (don't spray it!), and when to tell a joke (NOT when your mouth is full!). Proper Penguin's patience is tried, but by the time his guests say good-bye, they ha ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Scholastic Inc (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Please Say Please!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Say Please!

Start your review of Please Say Please!: Penguin's Guide to Manners
Jon Nakapalau
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Please say please! What a simple yet profound concept! Great book for small children.
D
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
My children enjoyed this book. Nicely illustrated:)
Nicole
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my first/second split class this last week and they absolutely loved it. This book is about when animals are invited to penguins house for dinner. It begins with the sentence “When friends are invited to penguins house, they should barge right in without knocking. Let’s eat! Is that right? All the kids started laughing and got very engaged in the book. Instead of simply turning the page and reading the page that highlights how the kids should act, I would call on some of the ...more
Laren
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I read this book to my nieces and it was wonderful. It is a very entertaining way to help teach children manners. A bunch of animals go to a party, and for several party situations, the reader is presented with a question regarding whether or not each animal should commit a humorous faux-pas. Of course the recommended actions are obviously wrong, but the right way to handle each situation is then explained. My nieces found this book so funny that we referred to it all week using real life situat ...more
Beth Starcher
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it is a great way to help show and enforce manners too children throughout the year. The book is nice enough to read for pleasure, but also can be a very helpful tool in the classroom. I liked how the author would give an example of what not to do, then on the next page it would say what they should do. The pictures went along very well with the story and they where very cool. I am not sure if this book is part of a series or not, but it would be cool to see other books ...more
Marissa Pezzullo
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book really made me think about how the world around us uses manners. As a future teacher i believe that it is necessary to teach children respect and manners. This book talks about the different ways you are supposed to use your manners such as, table manners, what you would do at someone's house and the way that you should always be polite. I would use this book in an early education room, I also might use it in an upper classroom if I find that the children have lost touch with their man ...more
Jennifer Heise
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read-aloud on an unpopular topic. Animals that come to dinner at another animal's house have various dinner table issues (like having to leave to go to the bathroom, or getting something put on their plate they don't want). The audience is asked, "should [they] do [something impolite]" and then turning the page we see, "No, they should..." Silly enough to make my 8 year old giggle but probably better for 3-4 year olds.
Melanie
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Laughable book to help kids learn manners (with emphasis on table manners). It doesn't actually go over please and thank you really. Our daughter likes to say "No!" every time the book asks the question if that's what the animal should do and she thinks it's funny when some of the animals misbehave by throwing their spoon, etc. Not a boring way to introduce some general table manners.
Kayla
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book would be helpful for children when trying to learn their manners. Not only does it help with manners, but there are a lot of animals mentioned in the book that some children may have not seen before. Although I'm not sure I would read this book to my class, I might read it to my children at home one day.
Kelly Powell
I have a love for penguins and that is why this book caught my eye. I also love the fact that the book gives reasoning for using manners and being polite. This book discusses social norm politeness that everyone should know, but may have not been taught. A great book for young learners with a useful and life long message of being polite.
Danielle Desmarais
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
-Story about manners including animals, play word and fun illustrations.
-I think children will really think it is funny and like the sound effects.
-Maybe a read-aloud in 1st grade and individually in 2nd grade.
Theresa
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manners
Cute illustrations, funny what not to do scenarios, and simple text make this a good first book for teaching manners. Could also see it working well for story time for ages 4 and up because they'd enjoy saying no to the bad manners.
Andrea
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great preschool to 1st grade book about manners particularly at the table. Paired with Kyle Webster's, "Please Say Please" One has the core for a great interactive Storytime. Nice reminder around Thanksgiving and other holidays.
Elizabeth
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Another funny/silly book that elicits participation from the listener....and bonus, Will Hillenbrand is the illustrator.
Jillybean
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really, really, liked this book . . . so cute!
Teri
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manners
Fun--my three-year old thinks this book is hilarious.
Laura Obrenovich
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I love this book! It is a very funny way to learn manners. When Tommy reads it, it never fails to make him laugh hard!
Gwendolyn Harris
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a group of friends that come to Penguin's house for dinner. The story introduces the proper manners from knocking on the door all the way to leaving after dinner. This is a great book to read to children learning their manners. I think you could even read this in the class and then have a practice dinner in the classroom and the kids can put those manners to practice. The book displays scaffolding as well due to it's repetitive style.
Shelby Miller
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
This book is a great guide for teaching children about using proper manners, especially around others. I like how the book gives an example of how one shouldn't behave, and then shows how to correct that behavior. This book provides lots of examples through many animal characters.
Topics: manners, being polite, eating with friends, eating at a friend's house, right vs. wrong behavior, correcting yourself.
Mary Madison
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
This book is all about manners. It starts off by teaching kids to knock before just barging in and it ends by teaching kids how to leave someones house respectfully. I LOVED THIS BOOK. The reason I love it so much is that it teaches kids the basics of being a polite person. Many children struggle in this area, and this would be a good way to approach explaining manners.
Mikey Golczynski
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun for a storytime/school visit book.
E
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not a fan of this one.
Alyssa Ricard
This book teaches students all about manners and how to be polite at the dinner table. I think this book is perfect to read to young children before lunch time. Very informative!
Dawn
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
A little on the nose.
Marisa
Novelist: Pre-Kindergarten - 2
Amazon: 3 - 5 years
Jaclyn
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sophie enjoyed this one. She seems to enjoy books with the word please in them. Maybe she will say the word soon!
Darmody
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: daphne
Very cute back and forth examples of good and bad behavior.
Tam
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manners
This book gives you the opportunity to talk about things before turning the page to find out what the proper thing is to do. For example, the first page said, "When friends are invited to Penguin's house for dinner, they should barge right in without knocking. Let's Eat! Is that right?" When you turn the page it says, "No, that's wrong. When friends are invited to Penguin's house for dinner, they should knock first, then wait until Penguin opens the door. Hello!"

The rest of the book is the same
Becky B
A rather ridiculous group of animals bumble their way through a meal and the reader is invited to tell them if what they're doing is the right or wrong way.

Kids should like the silliness of this book. As with all manners and customs, these will probably vary from culture to culture and family to family, but the basics are there to start a discussion. I also liked the illustration style which was actually done in pen, ink and crayon (aren't many illustrators that use their audience's primary medi
Mr. Cody
Apt! Great in teaching the difference between being rude and being polite.

• Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Dinosaurs Love Underpants
  • Dreamers
  • Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
  • The Day the Crayons Came Home
  • The Lost Cousins
  • One Word from Sophia
  • I Miss You, Stinky Face
  • Where's My Mom?
Margery Cuyler is the author of many books for children, including From Here to There, The Little Dump Truck, and That’s Good! That’s Bad! The idea for That’s Good! That’s Bad! was inspired by a conversation with her son, Thomas, who asked, "Can't bad things change into good things?" Ms. Cuyler grew up in the oldest house in Princeton, NJ, and started writing stories as soon as she learned how to ...more