Start by marking “Quiet Road to Murder (Promise McNeal Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Quiet Road to Murder (Promise McNeal Mystery, #4)

Quiet Road to Murder

(Promise McNeal Mysteries #4)

In the 4th Promise McNeal Mystery, set in Western North Carolina, It’s been seven months since Daniel’s cousin Sheriff Mac Allen was murdered. Daniel accepted the job as interim sheriff with hopes of finding Mac’s killer. But he has few clues until Promise’s irascible neighbor Fletcher Enloe stumbles upon a puzzling mining operation near Swayback Mountain and he realizes a ...more
Published February 5th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Quiet Road to Murder, please sign up.
Sandy Adams I did not read any of the series prior to this one and had no trouble as the author manages to 'update' the reader without divulging anything that wou…moreI did not read any of the series prior to this one and had no trouble as the author manages to 'update' the reader without divulging anything that would ruin previous stories should you decide to read them later. There are references to past actions, but again, incorporated into this book as background you might get in any single work.(less)

Start your review of Quiet Road to Murder (Promise McNeal Mystery, #4)
Annie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A most excellent 5 star read! I really love this series, the perfect escape for me. I was sorry about Mrs. Allen though
Carolyn
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-morgan
These are just wonderful Southern mysteries with wonderful characters and a touch of the paranormal. You just can't help but fall in love with the characters and this author's writing. What a fantastic find! Onto "Quiet Evil."
Judi
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th in the series about Promise McNeal who left her job in GA and moved to North Carolina to the mountains. She didn't know until she moved their that this was a part of her heritage.

This resumes from the 3rd book about the murder of Mac..Mac was Daniels cousin and best friend.
Oh and Daniel is Promises' husband. The town has nominated him in the interim as Sheriff to try and solve the murder of Mac.

MaMa is still living with Fletcher. You find out that they have been in love for a lon
Ellen White
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel is the intern sheriff, after his cousin Mac was murdered. Thinking also he would be able to access more information and find out who did it.
Another plot is with Susan and Sam, and feeling like she is called to serve as a pastor in a church. Another is the mining that seems to be going on some vacate land,.A lot of action, for many people we have come to know.
How it all comes together will give readers a good story to enjoy.
Jill D Coffin
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James gives you characters to love

And then leads you all on adventures together. Much closer to the cozy genre than the hard boiled, this series is well written, with genuine characters and a magical sense of place. The plots keep you reading as mayhem , just slightly and believebly paranormal, unfolds before the backdrop of the Carolina mountains.
Freida Rosen
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read.

Morgan James never disappoints. I can't get enough of Promise. Problem is didn't get any work done as could not put the book down until I finished it. Now absolutely have to get the next book.
Susan
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although the book contains three plots, none of them are particularly satisfying. A rather tedious romance of unrequited love. A fairly nasty ghost story. And a murder mystery that seems rather tacked on to meet the requirements of the genre.
Cheryl Hale
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting

I loved the book, it kept me on the edge of my seat trying to figure it out and I loved the characters.
Alison bensken
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I really enjoyed this story,well written and easy to follow.feel like I know all the characters,I like when there aren't too many characters.
CHERYL  YEAGER
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose

What a wonderful story. I really liked the characters. The side story about Rise was an added bonus. The mystery was well written.
Robin
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery

This was an enjoyable read. It is a light mystery with a twist. Now I need to go back and read the past books to learn about Miss Promise's past.
Marilyn
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

this book is one where people can see evil spirits and the harm this one was causing and then trough in two murders.
Charlene Davis
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy doll and child's poem

Very good. We get to Know Luke more. Find out what happened to Mac. Herbs and the sight are mentioned. Good ole mystery
Candy
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the rest

Finally this book flows. No over explaining, no ruining the previous book by revealing who " done it" . you're on the right track
Carlin
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
I just finished reading all 4 of the books in Morgan James' Promise McNeal mystery series. Someone described the author's writing as lyrical and her books perfect Southern mysteries. I couldn't agree more! I felt I knew the characters and laughed and cried with them. The stories were so interrelated that I recommend they be read in order. Congratulations to Ms. James for a wonderful series. I honestly can't wait for the next one to be published!
Michele bookloverforever
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
lovely series set in rural western north Carolina. psychics with gifts, wayward ghosts, death,murder, greed, love and family. wonderful characters, decent dialogue, interwoven plots. a death in the family. sad, joyful...life in all its myriad colors. part of a series.
Carol Rosenberg-fox
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wasn't sure when I started reading this but got hooked. I love the way Promise's relationship with Daniel started developing. Loved the twist. Can't wait to get the next book.
Irina J. Yershov
May 31, 2018
Yvette Tsiropoulos
Sep 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Quiet Fury (Promise McNeal Mysteries #6)
  • The Haunting of Brynn Wilder
  • Flaw Abiding Citizen (The Worst Detective Ever #6)
  • Saving Paradise (Pono Hawkins Thriller Book 1)
  • The First Emma
  • Ready to Fumble (The Worst Detective Ever #1)
  • The Eighth Detective
  • No Filter (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery #1)
  • At the Corner of King Street (Alexandria Series Book 1)
  • In for a Penny (Seasoned Southern Sleuths Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Dead Chill (Sidney Becker, #2)
  • Who Killed Vivien Morse? (DCI Peter Hatherall Mystery #4)
  • Roadkill
  • Bad Blood (Violet Darger #4)
  • Sleeping Dog
  • Family Secrets (Whispering Pines Mystery #1)
  • Without a Trace: 1881-1968
  • Crime in the Café (A Lacey Doyle Cozy Mystery #3)
Morgan James lives in Western North Carolina. She is the author of The Promise McNeal mystery series,and the contemporary novel, Sing Me An Old Song.

Promise McNeal Mysteries (4 books)
  • Quiet the Dead (Promise McNeal Mysteries #1)
  • Quiet Killing (Promise McNeal Mysteries Book 2)
  • Quiet Hearts (Promise McNeal Mysteries #3)