Start by marking “It's All Absolutely Fine” as Want to Read:
It's All Absolutely Fine

It's All Absolutely Fine

IT'S ALL ABSOLUTELY FINE is a darkly comic, honest and unapologetic illustrated account of the daily struggles with mental health. Ruby Elliot, aka Rubyetc, is the talent behind the hit tumblr account, 'Rubyetc', which has over 210k followers and growing. Taking readers on a journey through the ups and downs of life, the book will encompass everything from anxiety, bipolar ...more
Published November 17th 2016 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about It's All Absolutely Fine, please sign up.

Rita It's an amazing book. That said, it is kind of heavy because it deals with depression, anxiety and other mental health problems, however it's really…moreIt's an amazing book. That said, it is kind of heavy because it deals with depression, anxiety and other mental health problems, however it's really worth reading.(less)

Anny
Jan 02, 2017 Anny rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of "It's All Absolutely Fine" via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

This graphic novel is funny and painfully sad at the same time. The cartoonist Ruby Elliot illustrated the frustration and pain of an intovert and bipolar who also suffers from bullima, all in an easy-to-grasp and a funny way.

Although I enjoyed reading her comic and loved it but I felt sorry for the pain and frustration she goes through. And I admire her courage that she has chosen a constructive way t
Nenia Campbell
Dec 22, 2016 Nenia Campbell rated it really liked it

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I might be the first person that applied for this book who had never heard of the author before. I inhabit a very small corner of the internet these days, and haven't had time to creep on Twitter or lurk on Tumblr. Funny story: initially, I thought that this was Allie Brosh's newest book, and just about fell over myself trying to get a copy. It wasn't, though, which is why you should read the titles of books (and actually look at the cover)
I absolutely loved this book! I'm just so thankful that this book exists, thank you Ruby Elliot!

The drawings were so funny and so relatable! I think I've come across a few bits of Ruby's art on Tumblr but I never really knew who she was until I read this. She gives such an accurate representation of what's it like to live with a mental illness, bad self-esteem, bad body image issues, a bad relationship with food (she had bulimia, I do not but still could relate to what she said) and she also ex
Hristina Petrov
Ruby Elliot (or Ruby Etc as she's more commonly known) is a legend on tumblr. She makes the most interesting humorous mental-health related comics, I've been following her for years because they hit close to home.
This book is exactly that, her typical style or mental-health related comics, interlaced with her typical wittiness and relatability. She also has written a few passages that talk about her mental-health, and again they're witty and relatable. But best of all, the art is amazing.
It took
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
Dec 23, 2016 Cat (cat-thecatlady) rated it it was amazing
fuck, this really hit me like a ton of bricks. I already knew Ruby's artwork so I wasn't surprised to like that. but those little notes on herself were way too relatable to me. although it made me realise that I'm probably not doing so well mentally, again, since I recognised myself in a lot in this book, it also gave me hope that I can indeed manage it.

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2016/1...
Bryony Nelson
Nov 20, 2016 Bryony Nelson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, netgalley
This was brill. Super funny and the illustrations were the best. Great book!

I received a copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Julia
Jan 20, 2017 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book through NetGalley. Because it was under the "comics and graphic novels" category, and because of the description, I thought this was going to be a humor book. Instead, it is about the author's mental illness. I felt like I left this book with a better understanding of what it feels like to live with mental illness. I was a little disappointed with the cartoons. I was hoping they would be more funny than they were. A few were good, the rest were kind of meh to me.

I understand
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
britsallabsolutelyfine
Finished reading: January 15th 2017
Rating 4qqq

“That's what you need sometimes, whether it's a dog or a cat or a jazzy lizard or something else entirely that provides you with some emotional respite when it's all too messy - a tiny yet significant port in an almighty storm.”

*** A copy of this bookwas kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishingin exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Suzze Tiernan
Nov 25, 2016 Suzze Tiernan rated it really liked it
Looking at bipolar through one woman's cartoons. You can definitely see her feelings on display.
Vicky
Jan 16, 2017 Vicky rated it really liked it
It’s All Absolutely Fine is a graphic novel that focusses on mental health issues. Filled with line drawings and doodles to showcase how one feels when suffering from anxiety and depression, it’s a quick and easy read that anyone who has gone through these things can relate to. Now the author, Ruby Elliot a.k.a Rubyetc, is very popular on tumblr. I’m not one of her followers and I definitely didn’t even know who she was so this was my very first experience with her style of writing or art.

WRITI
Vellum Voyages
Jan 11, 2017 Vellum Voyages rated it really liked it
4 helms

Please follow me on my blog :) Review originally posted on Vellum Voyages (www.vellumvoyages.com)

Randomly requested this when I got trigger happy on Netgalley and what an eye opener to mental illness this was! Such an honest, darkly funny look at the everyday ups and down a person with mental illness may go through and Ruby portrays it simply yet effectively. Don't let the funnies and simple drawings fool you, as there is a highly educational and effective message also conveyed.

I'm gratef
Emily
I received an ARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I went into this expecting a light, funny graphic novel, and was surprised when I found a very real account of the struggles of depression. Ruby meets the reality of mental health head on and doesn't sugarcoat anything. She has a talent for finding the comedy in things and the book is scattered with such accurate portrayals of life experiences that I found myself chuckling while feeling sad at the same time.

I would r
Pi
Dec 26, 2016 Pi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's all absolutely fine" is a very accurate portrayal of mental illness, which is expected because Ruby Elliot has been struggling with mental health since she was a teenager.

It's very interesting because her drawings and comments can be funny, but they are also meant to raise awareness and show this reality lots of people are dealing with (even if others can't see it). Although it's an enjoyable read, it faces difficult issues such as depression, bipolar disorder, self-harm, eating disorders
Dec 10, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I first came across Ruby Elliot's cartoons on tumblr (and I highly recommend that you follow her on tumblr if you're not already). I don't even remember how, but I've been following her there for a pretty long time now and I love all of her cartoons. I love her sense of humor and I love the realism she brings to Heavy Topics (depression, anxiety, eating disorders, self-esteem, etc). So when I learned she had a book coming out, I was very excited. I'm so glad I bought it because it's great! It's ...more
Mandy
Nov 28, 2016 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, arc
Some of the artwork was familiar from tumblr, and I loved almost all of it though a few, especially in the beginning, felt more like filler pieces before the book picked up. Most of the artwork and the written entries I read eagerly, but some were too long or too small or just fell flat. I loved the randomness of the book but the weird spelling got a little annoying after too long.

I loved her representation of mental illness, self harm, bipolar disorder, and eating disorders. I don't actually f
BookCupid
Dec 02, 2016 BookCupid rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
This is a phrase we often coin without meaning it at all.

For Ruby Elliot, keeping herself together is hard. She suffers from depression due to several disorders she mentions throughout the book such as an eating disorder, anxiety, and bipolar disorder. What should be a heavy read becomes lighter and quite simple to understand with the use of drawings. They are cartoon like - barely professional - but who cares. I found myself learning about the highs and lows of bipolar disorder in a way one wo
alex
this was A Nice. i read it on an airplane. i've seen some of ruby's comics on tumblr, twitter, and instagram before and always enjoyed them, so i was really happy to be able to read an arc of this book!

photo Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 11.20.08 AM_zpszobdpndc.png

this is a bunch of drawings, accompanied by some text, that revolve around ruby’s struggles with depression, anxiety, and eating disorders. they are funny, touching, adorable, and poignant in a nice way.

i would definitely recommend picking this book up. here are some of my favorite pages, for a l
Cassie
Wow, and I mean wow. Reading this book has thrown me right back into my past, remembering when I first struggled with juggling my depression and bipolar disorder and everything else that didn't include me sitting alone on the couch, wrapped in 3 different blankets in utter silence while the world moved on without me. Because even now, as someone who technically qualifies as an adult, I still feel like I'm the only person on this big ol' planet that has these freaky self-depreciating episodes.

photo u ok_zps0syq3h9f.png

R
Lana
Jan 18, 2017 Lana rated it it was amazing

When I was contacted to review Ruby Elliot's new book, It's All Absolutely Fine, I was excited. I am a big fan of hilarious drawings about the crap we all go through in life. Ruby talks about depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, and just plain old crappy life feelings.

Her drawings hit the nail on the head in a way that no one else can, and with lots and lots of perfectly placed curse words (don't say I didn't warn you if you are offended by those).

If you've ever had depression, anxi
Anne
Nov 19, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing
I'd seen some of Ruby Elliot's drawings on various social media sites, she's known as @rubyetc on

Twitter, and have really admired her honesty, and her humour. There's a saying 'a picture tells a thousand words', and Ruby's art really does say so much. Her pictures are simple line drawn cartoons, but they are also incredibly telling. Her fear and frustration shouts out from them, she is incredibly talented.

Ruby expresses the things that she finds impossible to talk about through her drawings and
InformationSuperhero
Jan 23, 2017 InformationSuperhero rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn, netgalley-done
This was fabulous. As a person struggling with mental illness this was a very moving read. I could have quoted/highlighted 80% of this book as I saw and felt myself in it.

The write ups were honest and to the point compared to many wordy mental health materials. I enjoyed this more then Hyperbole and a Half (It only received a 1/5 from me). This was well organized into sections, had autobiographical content to match illustrations, didn't try to pander or entertain anyone and didn't have so many f
Schnuet
Nov 10, 2016 Schnuet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've been following Ruby Elliot on social media for quite some time now and I've anxiously awaited this book. As a person who is struggling with mental illness herself, I always enjoyed her drawings and the very insightful blog posts she made from time to time.

I'm not even sure how to really describe it, but her work just means so much to me. Because it feels like she "gets it". In a way that is honest and unique and sometimes really sad, but also funny at the same time.

I have never in my life
Lauren
Dec 02, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
I feel like I need some sort of badge for being the first person to check this out from the library. I have seemed to do that a lot this year. BYU's Harold B Lee Library has over 3 million books and for some reason the only ones that will satisfy me are the ones that are so new they haven't even been properly shelved yet, but are first placed in my greedy little arm nubs to smush into my impatient little brain by way of my aching sleep-deprived eye orbs. I am so glad I got to read this book. I d ...more
Elisa
Nov 21, 2016 Elisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This book was sent to me through NetGalley in exchange for a honest review*

You can also find more reviews at my blog Girl Hearts Book

This book changed me. It really did. I have never read a book that reflects so much of myself and my struggles as this book as. It seemed like I wroted it (if I knew how to write and draw of course).

Ruby covers it all: Depression, Anxiety, Self-Sabotage, Self-Harm, Eating Disorders, Low Self-Esteem, Procrastination and Socializing.

And let me tell you, I have strug
Rebekah Crain
Dec 28, 2016 Rebekah Crain rated it really liked it
Not everybody copes with life the same way. Ruby Elliot, author of It's All Absolutely Fine, has found a unique way to share her perspectives on coping through her quirky doodles and drawings. Developed with a comic strip feel, each of the designs and dialogues compels readers to look deep into the inner angst of depression and solitude to find a way to draw parallels to others out there living with the same feelings of inadequacy, loneliness, and/or pain. In addition to her artistic scrawls Ell ...more
Nov 21, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: cartoons, netgalley, humor
What can I say? There are a lot of on-line cartoons that are slice of life of the cartoonist. Not all appeal to all people. This one is that one for me. It sometimes makes me laugh, but other times I just shrug my shoulders.

So, if you like Ruby, this is a whole book. I mean, it isn't like I didn't go through some of the every-woman things that she has had to deal with. Yeah, bra shopping is a pain. Yeah, so is body image.

This is not to say I didn't find her funny. There were fun bits such as the
Giulia
Nov 29, 2016 Giulia rated it really liked it
I had been following @rubyetc’s drawings for a long while on Twitter, when I downloaded her new book from NetGalley. Ruby’s drawings mostly picture some of her daily life’s experiences via minimalistic strips which handle uncomfortable situations with self-deprecating humour and sometimes down right randomness. The drawings are really simple, yet easily understandable; so if you are looking for meticulous art, this is not the book for you (though it is not to say that the author is not talented) ...more
Jan 10, 2017 Laura rated it it was amazing
I've never heard of Ruby Elliot, although from what I could gather she's been posting her drawing about her life on her blog for a while now. Therefore, everything about her and this book was new to me.

It's All Absolutely Fine by Ruby is a memoir written in pictures. A form of graphic novel. All pictures are black and white, since there are no colours.

It is a very fast read. It's a great book for getting out of a reading slump, or reading on the train or bus.
The book tackles several mental issu
Amy
Jan 19, 2017 Amy rated it it was amazing
Note: I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.

It's All Absolutely Fine is one of those memoir graphic novels that, if you are a little bit of human, makes you empathise and feel deeply for the author. I am not sure if I had come across Ruby's art before (I probably have), but reading her book and seeing her art has been inspirational and motivating and educational. She tackles depression, the highs and lows of bipolar disorder, anxiety, eating disorders, introversion,
Steph
I was somewhat familiar with Elliot's work before reading this book, so I knew more or less what to expect from her art and her sense of humor.

But this book contains much more than Elliot's grimly hilarious drawings. There are also several short essays in which she describes her experiences with depression, self harm, therapy, anxiety, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, body image, and other mental health issues. She does not hold back here; she boldly delves into the reality of her experiences
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Hello I'm Ruby, a person and artist(ish) from London drawing sad things in a funny way and vice versa.

I like dogs, jam and shouting.

I am still learning how to write author bios

More about Ruby Elliot...

“...this was as if an actual steamroller driven by a crazy grinning idiot had trundled through the door and flattened my entire life into a sad pancake of nothingness.” 0 likes