Start by marking “Private Investigations (Bob Skinner, #26)” as Want to Read:
Private Investigations (Bob Skinner, #26)

Private Investigations

(Bob Skinner #26)

Private Investigations is Quintin Jardine's twenty-sixth Bob Skinner mystery that sees the Edinburgh sleuth plunged into a gruelling new case in which no score will go unsettled. A thrilling mystery for fans of Ian Rankin and Peter Robinson.

Former Chief Constable Bob Skinner has uncovered his fair share of shocking crime scenes over his thirty-year career. But none could
Published May 2nd 2017 by Headline (first published May 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Private Investigations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Private Investigations

Start your review of Private Investigations (Bob Skinner, #26)
Bookread2day
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read and reviewed only one other book by Quintin Jardine Hours of Darkness that I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed reading Private Investigations too. There is always something about Quintin books that keep me glued to the pages. I was so surprised that Former Chief Constable Bob Skinner had left the police force after thirty-years. But once a cop always a cop. When Bob is in a accident in his car. At the scene he needs police attendance and paramedics. It's a heart breaking scene, a ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Headline for an advance copy of Private Investigations which sees former Chief Constable Bob Skinner in his first investigative role in the private sector now that he has resigned from the police force. He is contacted by Eden Higgins, the brother of one of Bob's former girlfriends, asking him to review the police investigation into his missing 5million yacht which disappeared months before because the police have found no trace of it and have closed the case ...more
Nolene Driscoll
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

This is the first book I have read by Quintin Jardine and I mean to correct that in the near future. This book has great characters and because I have enjoyed meeting them in this book I'm curious to see what has gone on before and how they appeared in previous books.

I really liked the character of Bob Skinner and they way he interacted with his family and those around him.

This is a book that can be read as a standalone
Val Penny
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Quintine Jardine's series of crime thrillers featuring his character, Bob Skinner. In Private Investigations, the 26th Skinner novel. The character has retired from the Scottish Police Force and now works as a private investigator after a thirty-year police career. Bob Skinner is on the way to answer a friend's plea for help when a freak accident gives him an unwelcome glimpse of the dark side.

Stephanie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another pearler in the Bob Skinner series from Quintin Jardine. Former Chief Constable has uncovered his fair share of shocking crimes scenes over his thirty year police career - but few have affected him quite as much as the horrifying sight he finds stowed away in the back of a stolen car that collides with his own on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

As Bob Skinner's former colleagues investigate the mystery, Skinner is left to take on the unusual challenge of tracing a multi million - pound
Sheila
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendy Hearder-moan
Part way through, I finally realized what has bothered me about the dialogue in this series: it’s not conversational. Even when two people have known each other for a long time, you often have the feeling that one party is giving a mini-lecture. It’s a way of bringing the reader up to speed on something that happened in the past, but it can be off-putting. Having said that, it obviously doesn’t put me off too much, as I keep reading the books. This one, like many others, had a pretty complicated ...more
Vontel
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex book, interesting phase in Bob Skinner's life and career, red herrings that look like they may be real ones...I have read some of these books off and on over the years, so it can take time for some of the old stories to bring a shade of remembrance to the current one.

In some ways, there are elements of character and narrative that cross over with the Rebus books, not the least being geography. A good read, with some mysteries not uncovered till the end. The next book looks promising,
Mrs Kathy Murdoch
I have read the whole series of Skinner novels, and by Book 26 you'd think the story lines would be wearing a bit thin - not so! The characters remain fresh and alive, and every book highlights a different aspect of Skinner's personality. No matter what 'job' he takes on (in or out of the Police Force) it's all plausible. A great book to immerse yourself in - particularly when you have personal knowledge of the geographical area and places he talks about throughout.
Gill
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Bob Skinner book I’ve read so that makes twenty five I’ve missed! However, despite being late to the game I enjoyed this book and Jardine managed to fill in some necessary past details without it being too obtrusive.
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me this is the Bob Skinner of old. Really, really enjoyed this book whereas some of the more recent ones I haven't enjoyed so much.
Ljohnston
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christine Rennie
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, kindle
Another excellent Skinner book and again an excellent storyline, formidable characters and a superb read.
Highly recommended
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After twenty six books Bob Skinner is back to being a civilian. His last few years in the police have been a trial...from the Lothians (Edinburgh) to Strathclyde (Glasgow) now to the unified Police Scotland.

As with all detectives of note it does not take long before Bob is thrown into the middle of a three ring circus that has him wishing he had taken a very long holiday far away from ex colleagues and new found jealousies and suspicion.

Quintin Jardine packed so much into this book. My head was
Kath
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read most of the books in this series, mostly in order too and have enjoyed them thoroughly. I wasn't actually aware that we had got to book 26, have to admit am a little gobsmacked by that as the series, to me anyway, still feels fresh.
So, Skinner is now on civvie street. He has however got all the necessary paperwork behind him to indulge in the wonderful world of private investigation. He is contacted by the brother of an ex-girlfriend of his who is having trouble with an insurance
Maureen Moyes
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MoMo’s Book Diary loved Quintin Jardine’s Private Investigations and eagerly recommends this as a thrilling 5 star read

I have read most of the “Skinner” books, starting from the first one published back in the early 90s when I lived in Edinburgh. Now I live in the northern isles but am always drawn to books about southern and central Scotland.

In this instalment we find former Chief Constable Bob Skinner has moved into the world of private investigation.

Eden Higgins is Bob Skinner’s first client.
Vicki - I Love Reading
Wow, It still amazes me how far this series has come. I have been reading this series now over many years, and I never tire of it. I would love to see Bob Skinner as a detective series on TV.
I have to say though with this book, it was like having a reunion with old friends. There are an awful lot of characters that have been in these books over the years, and this book seems to give you a reminder or a history lesson of some of the more memorable characters, it also helps refresh your mind as
Amanda
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that when I finished the previous Bob Skinner book (‘Last Resort’), I did wonder how and if the Skinner series could or would continue, but I needn’t have worried, as this book proves that Bob Skinner can exist outside the police force.

This book is written from two different points of view in alternating chapters. The first point of view is written by Skinner himself and the second point of view is the narration of this story. I was a bit unsure as to how this would play out but
P.D.R. Lindsay
Eminently readable whodunit. Well written, lots of characters and a twisty plot. An enjoyable read for fans of Bob Skinner, his author and the genre.
Martha Brindley
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read in the Bob Skinner series. A new career for Bob and this book did not disappoint. Great to see some old characters again and Skinner was at his best in this book. I could not put it down once I started reading. Excellent plot which kept me guessing to the end and full of twists to keep my interest. Thank you Net Galley for the copy.
Chris Nolan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the whole series of the Bob Skinner books I still find him an engrossing character and the stories are always well told. However, now that he is no longer working for Police Scotland, I found that something was missing, even though many of his former colleagues were involved in the cases. I wonder how much longer Quintin Jardine can sustain this?
Ann Russell
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual Quinton Jardine hits the spot, the twists and turns keep you gripped in the story and wanting to find out what happens but not wanting it to end. he never lets me down or gets repetitive.

Another superb Skinner story, couldn't put it down but didn't want it to end can't wait for the next one.
Mon Macpherson
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome
Graham
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Ties in nicely with the stories that went before and sets the stage for the next book

Really good read
Fiona
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much going on made this difficult to follow.
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the Skinner books with mounting incredulity but am drawn to them with a strange fascination and yet again this ticks all those boxes
David Miles
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this guy
Lis
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Bob Skinner -- no longer a cop but still connected.
Two unrelated situations turn out to be intertwined after all.
It seems likely that the next in the series will have him helping out MI5.

• The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Blood and Treachery (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers #4)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • Prayer for the Dead (Inspector McLean, #5)
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)
  • In a House of Lies (Inspector Rebus, #22)
  • The Gathering Dark (Inspector McLean, #8)
  • Gray Salvation (Tom Gray, #6)
  • Written in Bones (Inspector McLean, #7)
  • The Man on the Street
  • The Moor (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #12)
  • Dead Men's Bones (Inspector McLean, #4)
  • The Lost (Paula McGuire, #1)
  • Silent Heart (Search and Rescue, #2)
  • Still Dark (Lorimer #14)
  • The Strange Case of the Moderate Extremists (Detective Varg, #0.8)
  • Tooth and Nail (Inspector Rebus, #3)
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
Quintin Jardine (born 1945) is a Scottish author of three series of crime novels, featuring the fictional characters Bob Skinner, Oz Blackstone, and Primavera Blackstone. He was educated in Motherwell and in Glasgow where he studied at what was then the city’s only University. After career as a journalist, government information officer and media relations consultant, he took to the creation of ...more

Bob Skinner (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Skinner's Rules (Bob Skinner, #1)
  • Skinner's Festival (Bob Skinner, #2)
  • Skinner's Trail (Bob Skinner, #3)
  • Skinner's Round (Bob Skinner, #4)
  • Skinner's Ordeal (Bob Skinner, #5)
  • Skinner's Mission (Bob Skinner, #6)
  • Skinner's Ghosts (Bob Skinner, #7)
  • Murmuring the Judges (Bob Skinner, #8)
  • Gallery Whispers (Bob Skinner, #9)
  • Thursday Legends (Bob Skinner, #10)
“the freezer himself.’ His broad black face” 0 likes