Start by marking “When We Were Us (Keeping Score #1)” as Want to Read:
When We Were Us (Keeping Score #1)

When We Were Us

(Keeping Score #1)

The Trio. That’s who we’ve been since birth: Nate, Leo . . . and me, Quinn, the token girl. Our mothers met in a prenatal class and became best friends, which meant that the three of us hit every milestone together, from the first day of school to the very first kiss. And beyond.

I’ve always been caught in the middle between the two boys. I’ve been in love with Leo since I
Published April 7th 2016

To ask other readers questions about When We Were Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Were Us

Start your review of When We Were Us (Keeping Score #1)
Kathryn
Do you remember high school? How about your first kiss? This story moves through the lives of Nate, Leo and Quinn from when they were born, elementary school, junior high and onward to high school. Now back to that first kiss, it was amazing. Mine not so much, but this one... was grand. It was better.

The author has figured out how to move through these kids lives and it makes it a very fast read. The emotions poured out here are real, potent, and poignant. Memories flow out of the story as fast
Gina's Library
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
When We Were Us is book 1 in a new trilogy from Tawdra Kandle. I’m excited for this series as I’m a big fan of Tawdra’s.

I received an ARC of this book that is due to be released April 7.

This book is the beginning story of Nate, Quinn and Leo. They have been friends since day 1. Things were great when they were younger. As they got older and became teenagers it became a bit more strained.

To make matters worse is romantic feelings. They really became a bit of a love triangle. Nate loves Quinn but
Kristy
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Damn cliff hangers ugh
Barbie Pomales
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was warned this was gonna be ansty . It is . Lord I knew from the prequel Young that Nate was no good. I felt he was selfish and I was proven right. I dont generally like or read New Adult or Young Adult books. This one was well written and I m excited to read the rest of the series . I m not on board with #Quileo because I dont see Leo as a mature man. I hope the series gets better.
Suzanne Bourgeois
this was an interesting read, because i know someone with the same name as one of the characters, so about a third of the way through, suddenly everyone has faces of people i know and i am Quinn, bushy hair and all, living out one of my high school fantasies. It helped that character descritions were minimal. and ending on a cliff hanger ensures I'll be reading the next book!
Jessica Mitchell
Ever wonder if things could of been different growing up? Or wonder how Middle High School life might be.
That's what Quinn, Nate and Leo are going through now. They started as friends in Elementary and became besties after that. But life if rough in middle-high school.
Quinn learns all she needs to know via books and the way people treat her. But she's been harboring big secret that she didn't realize herself until Middle School. She has the chance to ask but she also realizes that someone else
CARLA
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished this book I was lost. I wanted to rip Nate apart piece by little piece. I wanted to beat the hell out of Leo. And Quinn, I wanted to smack her too, but then by the very end of the book, I just wanted to cry and hug her bc I understand all too well what she's going through. By the way, I LOVED THIS BOOK. It's definitely different from other books that Tawdra has written, but in a good way. I'm going to be thinking about this book until the next one releases. Def a 5 star story.

Na
Coco.V
Oct 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (10/16/2017)!
Kristen Holt
Dammit! Seriously, how the hell did I get suckered into reading another frickin’ YA novel!

Fracking high school love triangle BS! And a cliffhanger to boot.

So ragey right now.
ButtonsMom2003
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased, cmcon20
5 stars minus ½ star for the cliffhanger rounded up to 5

I absolutely did not need to find another author to love. But, Tawdra Kandle will be a featured author at Coastal Magic, a book convention I'm attending later this month (February 2020) and I wanted to read one of her books before then.

I've had When We Were Us (now titled False Start) in my Kindle library since 2016. I'm a one-click addict so I'm sure I bought it when it was free or on sale but just never got around to reading it. Now I'm
Tracey Cramer-Kelly
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Had this book on my Kindle, titled “When We Were Us” from November 2019, but it has apparently been retitled since then. That in itself was confusing, and so was the description; I did not get the sense these characters were in high school, so that wasn’t what I was expecting. It felt like High School Musical, with its popular jock who has everything and is still not happy (poor baby…). Except that HS Musical was at least PG and the characters had goals and interests; in this book, the popular c ...more
Caroline
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2019
I've never read a book by Tawdra, and can honestly say that it won't be my last. And this series isn't over for me. Sometimes I can be happy with reading a book and not continuing the story. This time, I can't. I need to know what happens.
Nate, Leo and Quinn have been friends sine their first memory. As they grow up, their love triangle blossoms which leads to their friendship deteriorating. But sometimes, you just have to do what feels right and when that happens, things go downhill.
Luckily, yo
Leigh Sonnekus
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok Read

I have read other books by this author and this is the first I’ve not really enjoyed. The book description does not relay that this is essentially a high school romance and that, while it wraps up nicely after their high school graduation, there is no conclusion to the love triangle - no hea and with a semi cliffhanger. I now have to read books 2 and 3 if I want to know what happens between Quinn and Leo, or if she will end up with Nate. I really hate it when the blurbs don’t mention that
Maritza
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going in I had no expectations of this book as I have never heard of this author. The premise of the book sounded interesting, three friends who knew each other from the womb. One friend in love with the other, and the other in love with her. We follow them from grade school through high school and one's unrequited love that leads him to destroy the friendship of all three. I loved Leo and Quinn and at the end hated Nate. What will become of them. I need to read the next book. Very good emotiona ...more
Paige
I really enjoyed the premise of this story..following our 3 MCs from early childhood through graduation. However none of their relationships are healthy..one in fact is toxic as heck. It was a little cliched but it was an enjoyable read and interested me enough to move on to book 2.. Hoping that toxic "best " friend relationship doesn't continue in the manipulative way it's going..but where would the fun be in that. Glad I found this in my recommendation list.
Marisela M. Chavez
When friendship becomes love between a group of friends that known each other their whole life. It won't end well. Who knew loving someone could hurt so bad. This book brought me back to high school seeing what they had to go thorough. All the ups in down, and rooting for the couple you want to survive. Can't wait to see what will happen in the next book.
Sondra
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cliffhanger

Not a book for adults. This is high school drama, bullies, love triangle. Too high school for me as an adult I didn't enjoy all the high school stuff. I kept waiting for the story line to go into their adult lives ...but it's all high school. I hate cliffhangers so I won't be recommending this. If you are not a high school student, leave this book behind.
AJ
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Teens

A interesting story, so I’m thinking I should’ve given it 4 stars. But for me Leo got on my last nerve- I don’t see Nate for Quinn either. I was hoping for some one interesting to come along for her. So I won’t be going on to book 2, happy reading for the ones that do go on.
Margaret
Three friends who have known each other from birth. You just know that there is not going to be a happy ending when both boys love the one girl and she can only give her heart to one.
Carole
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

So good i was angry and happy and sad right there with the characters. Great writing, I was completely swallowed whole into the story!
Emm
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When We Were Us

This book was a coming of age, young adult love story that did not end the way I thought it would. I can't wait to read part 2.
Sharilyn Russell
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5stars

This book is a great read. Reminds us of our first time falling in love and how it tears us up.
Stella Hall
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

This was great from birth to graduation. I like the first person storytelling from the main characters I can’t wait to read the next one
Victoria
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a great book to read
Colleen
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give me a story with sports and love and I’ll love it. Add in a really relatable female MC and it’ll always be 5 stars.
Kori Dicken
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

Talk about a wicked turn of events! Two people madly in love but just can’t seem to get it right! Definitely an emotional roller coaster! On to the next book!
Mari
High school romance, book needs major editing. Probably would have loved it in my mid teens
Carol Sandford
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darn it!!

If I'd realised it was going to end with a whopper of a cliffhanger I wouldn't have read this one, darn it. But saying that, I've enjoyed every word.
Beth
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t really like the characters. Plus lots of annoying grammar mistakes.
JOCA
Jan 09, 2020 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I liked the premise but I wasn't a fan of the writing style and the characters were difficult to connect with. I DNF'd this one.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Colton  (Wild Men, #2)
  • Falling for the Hometown Girl (Marshall Ranch, #2)
  • The Vow: A Manhattan Nights novel
  • Jersey Girl (Sticks & Hearts, #1)
  • A Sheik for Rose (Hearts of Gold #1)
  • If I Can't Have You (The Thorntons, #3)
  • Spinning Out (The Blackhawk Boys, #1)
  • Deal Breakers (Dealing with Love #1)
  • This Piece of My Heart (Clearing the Ice, #1)
  • Attracting Aubrey (Gone Wild #3)
  • Rascal (Rascals #1)
  • Spite Club (Mason Brothers #1)
  • The Enforcer: Redtails Hockey
  • Wild Man (Wild Men, #1)
  • This Crazy Love (Swoon #1)
  • She's the One (Just Everyday Heroes: Night Shift, #1)
  • Wicked Beginnings (Wicked Bay, #1)
  • Breaking The Ice (Providence University Book 1)
Tawdra Kandle writes romance, in just about all its forms. She loves unlikely pairings, strong women, sexy guys, hot love scenes and just enough conflict to make it interesting. Her books include new adult and adult contemporary romance; under the pen name Tamara Kendall, she writes paranormal romance, and under the pen name Tessa Kent, she writes erotic romance. Tawdra lives in central Florida wi ...more

Keeping Score (6 books)
  • Hanging by a Moment (Keeping Score #2)
  • Days of You and Me (Keeping Score #3)
  • Down By Contact (Making the Score, #1)
  • Your Wildest Dreams (Keeping Score Book 5)
  • Sway (Keeping Score, Book 6)