Start by marking “Bloom” as Want to Read:
Bloom

Bloom

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  8,468 ratings  ·  1,942 reviews
Now that high school is over, Ari is dying to move to the big city with his ultra-hip band―if he can just persuade his dad to let him quit his job at their struggling family bakery. Though he loved working there as a kid, Ari cannot fathom a life wasting away over rising dough and hot ovens. But while interviewing candidates for his replacement, Ari meets Hector, an ...more
Published February 12th 2019 by First Second (first published January 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Bloom, please sign up.
Amy It's inferred. Hector mentions finding his grandma's recipes which are Samoan and describes Ravani as "The most Samoa-y Greek food" he's ever tasted,…moreIt's inferred. Hector mentions finding his grandma's recipes which are Samoan and describes Ravani as "The most Samoa-y Greek food" he's ever tasted, Ari being Greek. (less)

·  8,468 ratings  ·  1,942 reviews

Start your review of Bloom
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Julie Zantopoulos
Shelves: queer, comics-n-stuff
I am such a sucker for soft, queer boys. MY HEART.
Riley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this was so adorable!! if you're looking for two soft boys baking and falling in love, look no further!
Larry H
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know exactly what led me to read Bloom , the wonderful new graphic novel by Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau, especially considering that I had read exactly one graphic novel before this, and it didn't quite make an impact on me. But something about this story of friendship, love, family, and baking captured my attention, and it has definitely piqued my interest in reading more graphic novels in the future.

Ari's family owns a bakery that has fallen on hard times. They're struggling
Lola
I just want everyone on this planet to read this lovely queer graphic novel. Is that too much to ask?

I have no idea though why this book was published in FEBRUARY because it is 100% a summer read and for a second there, after finishing it, I wondered if the snow outside had perhaps melted.

AS IF.

Regardless, it made me long for summer even more than I already am and that’s quite alright. Summer means no more school, means exams are over, means summer trip if my passport ever arrives. I feel all
Tucker
I plan on re-reading and re-reviewing this because the below review is absolute sh*t
************
I was having a really crummy day but then I decided to read my ARC of this. It was so fun and easy to read. A great story that took my emotions for a ride.
Thank you to First Second for providing me with an ARC

Bottom Line:
5 Stars: Yuri on Icing
Age Recommendation: 13+ (Occasional swearing, brief kiss)
Cover: 3/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters 5/5

Goodreads | Blog | Twitch Pinterest | Buy | Reddit
Whitney Atkinson

I saw so many glowing reviews for this that I basically harrassed my library into buying a copy, but I'm sad that my lasting impression of it is that is was just kinda average? There were certainly things I loved about it like the character development and the setting at a bakery and the gorgeous art style and how Hector would call Ari out when he was being a baby or manipulative, but I thought the rest of the plot was just kinda typical. Small town, summer, slow burn romance, family
C.G. Drews
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just want all the soft queer baking stories of ever. This was such a ME graphic novel, set in a bakery in a quiet seaside town. Ari was a totally rumpled disaster, sensitive and explosive, while Hector was a solid and quiet force who loved baking and giving second chances. They meshed so well together, like the intense cuteness leveless were just I also loved how Ari's family was Greek and there was loving family culture in there too.

I did so feel for Ari, with the whole "I wanna do something
Carmen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No One
I found this book very frustrating.

Ostensibly this is a romance between two young men (18 or 19?). Although nothing romantic really happens until about two-thirds of the way through the book.

What frustrated me is that Ari, the character who is working in his dad's bakery, is a selfish, self-absorbed, whiny, immature, pouting little brat. And I'm supposed to think Hector falls in love with him!!!!

When they finally kiss, I'm like, "NOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Don't kiss him, Hector!!!!!!!" And
Hamad
This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

My last couple of reviews were huge so this review is going to be cute and fluffy, just like this book!

I suffered to get a copy of this book because I really wanted to read it! I am not disappointed but not impressed either. Those graphic novels are all becoming the same: Check, Heartstopper, Fence. They all involve 2 guys with a too fluffy, too fast relationships because the books are short for something meaningful!

They sometimes involve a breakup for a
David Schaafsma
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-glbt, gn-romance
A first graphic novel for Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau about two queer boys and a May- December (summer) romance while they--Ari and Hector--work in a bakery owned by Ari's father. It's pretty and sweet and hovering maybe between 3 and 4 stars for me, say 3.5, because there's not as much characterization or depth as I would like. Not much happens except baking and touches and glances, in keeping with romance, for a very long time, but I especially like the food passion in it (there are ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I don't know why or how I waited as long as I did to pick up Bloom, because this has to be one of my new favorite graphic novels of all time. The art is stunning, the characters are so precious and lovable, and I adored the rep (a Greek gay MC, a Samoan gay love interest, and multiple side characters of color).

This is definitely a more character- than plot-driven story, so if you're like me and you prefer character-driven reads, this one will be right up your alley; not a ton of drama or
Len Evans Jr
This is the first graphic romance novel that I have every read and although it was a bit weird reading it at times I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The artwork for it was outstanding and really added a lot to the read. The story was sweet and totally adorable. Loved it a lot!
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-physical
so so so sweet and soft!!!
Hollis
Basically what I'm learning is that no LGBTQ+ graphic novel will ever come close to the soft adorable hilarious brilliance that is CHECK, PLEASE.

I feel like I waited for this hold to pop up f o r e v e r and wow what a disappointment.

Bland characters, shitty characters, perfectly predictable pious characters.. not to mention a lack of direction or cohesion; overall just.. nothing to recommend it. I can't even round up.
Scott
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Let love simply bloom . . . and it is unstoppable." -- Pope Francis

A relatively chaste and reassuring coming-of-age romance story with two young men, Bloom is a graphic novel set (I think) in a Delmarva beach town. It is presented much in the same style as DC Ink's recent series - which feature teen versions of characters like Catwoman and Raven - meaning a tri-color format (here being black, white, and a comfortable turquoise hue) and relaxed illustrations.

Ari is about eighteen years old,
Dylan
4.5 stars.

This was ADORABLE, had amazing art, some really well written parts, and I LOVED that it discussed not knowing what you want to do with your life post high school-which is so important as a huge amount of teens have the same inner struggles.

4.5 stars from me though because I needed more of the adorable romance because it only started to take off maybe the last 15% of the book.

Thanks so much to Fierce Reads for sending me an early copy for review!
Romie
that was absolutely adorable! I'm so glad I got to buddy read this with my friend Laura because we were both in a cute mood and it was perfection! I loved how baking is such an important part of this graphic novel, you can see how much it means to both characters and how baking shaped most of their lives. the romance was also adorable, with a little slow burn, from strangers to best friends to lovers. perfect! and the art is absolutely beautiful! (4.25)
Eilonwy
2-1/2 stars, rounded up
Ari Kyrkos's sister has just gotten married, and now his parents expect him to help out with the family bakery on the Maryland shore. But Ari is dreaming of moving to Baltimore with his friends so their band can play clubs and develop a following. Then Hector, who's in their town to tie up his grandmother's estate, gets a job at the bakery. And Ari finds himself torn over what he really wants.
Well, meh.

I had high hopes for this book since a number of my Goodreads
•°• gabs •°•
THIS WAS SO GOOD AND SOFT AND CUTE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Reading Tam Ishly
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is just so cute!
Ari and Hector
You two are so made for each other.
And with all that baking and food, it made me super hungry all this time.

I love how the characters are well developed and their personalities are so heartwarming. I would like to meet this family and friends of Ari. They are so supportive and there for him. Ari (Aristotle) is not a person you would adore but he owns up to his mistakes and Hector happens in his life making things better.
This one is so sweet! The kisses though
Teal
DNF @ 20%

None of the characters interest me. In fact, most of them seem unnecessarily obnoxious. I don't want to spend time with them.

Plus, it looks like it's going to be all about family drama. Ugh.

Plus plus, it's devoting pages to scenes of food prep, which is a dealbreaker right there. Reading about cooking/baking/food prep is exactly as exciting to me as reading about doing laundry, mopping floors, or cleaning toilets. In other words, holy shit that stuff is boring!

But it's my fault for not
Emma
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute graphic novel with two soft boys who like to bake, what more could I ask for?
Plus it's all in blue tones and it's the nicest thing ever. I'm totally biased because blue is my favourite colour, but who cares?
This story was really sweet. I liked all the baking they did and I'll make sure to check out some of the recipes because it all seemed so goooood.
Ari and Hector were the cutest and I was really glad to see them find their own way and connect with each other.
I highly recommend this
Lauren Lanzilotta
4.5 glowing stars

I don’t know who you thought I was but I’m definitely the person sitting in the back of the book store reading graphic novels.

Bloom was unbearably cute; something of a sweet love story involving two boys and a family run bakery.

Wonderful art if the cover doesn’t tell you as much. The use of sololy white and blue hues made for some really eye-pleasing drawings.

As for the story, it was so easy to fall in love with; every character was amazing in a simplistic way. This was a great
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
so sweet and cute and the art is FREAKING AMAZING

all the baking scenes had me drooooooling
Julie Zantopoulos
I got this as an arc and the file was corrupt and unreadable but I was able to get about 65 pages into it and was intrigued enough to purchase a finished copy and I'm glad I did. It was a sweet story about Ari who doesn't want his life to consist of his parent's bakery and Hector who only wants to bake. It's about a boy who wants to be in a band, to get out from under his parent's expectations and a boy who makes him see how wonderful things are right where he is.

I didn't love Hector as a
tammy
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, 2019
”be what you love.”

meh it was okay. i already forgot the characters names and it’s been like half an hour, if that says anything.

the tall white guy friend was pissy and acted like a douchebag the entire time.

i appreciated the soft moments between the mcs, but the climax was bleh. they were cute tho.

aha yeet this is my 69th book of 2019

heartstopper is still the best gay graphic novel, nothing will ever surpass its excellency

before reading: a gay graphic novel centered around baking??? sign me
Kyle
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 2.75

I really dug the muted colors— all blends of blue/blue-grays/blue-greens/black & white. Oftentimes, simple coloring is necessary, and it worked well here. The art itself wasn’t overly-detailed, either. I noticed some of the production sketches in the back of the book, and they were full of little details, and I sort of wished we had more of that and not just the vague strokes of the finished product. The story was also more on the simplistic side with your typical Summer ‘
Melissa Veras
2.5 stars. This was not what I was expecting. I was so hyped for this, but I was not ready for Ari to be such a little shit. Hector deserves way better.
Flora ❀
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Cute boys ... in a cute bakery ... during the summer ... what else do you need in life? maybe air but that's it. this is all you need!
Acqua
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bloom is a contemporary graphic novel set in a coastal small town. It follows Ari and Hector, two boys - respectively of Greek and Samoan descent - as they work together in the Kyrkos family bakery and fall in love.

It is as adorable as it sounds, but I think that anyone who wants to get into this should also keep in mind that it follows a very insecure (and immature) main character who is dealing with a lot of self-doubt and with a friendship he doesn't realize is toxic, and there's also some
What We're Reading March 2019 1 6 Feb 14, 2019 06:36PM

• Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Mooncakes
Kevin Panetta is a Washington, DC based comic book and graphic novel writer. He has written licensed children's comics from Boom! Studios. His first creator-owned series, Zodiac Starforce, debuted from Dark Horse Comics in August 2015.
“What was that for?"
"Nothing. You're just cute and I love you.”
1 likes