Start by marking “Grimoire Noir” as Want to Read:
Grimoire Noir

Grimoire Noir

Bucky Orson is a bit gloomy, but who isn’t at fifteen?

His best friend left him to hang out with way cooler friends, his dad is the town sheriff, and wait for it―he lives in Blackwell, a town where all the girls are witches. But when his little sister is kidnapped because of her extraordinary power, Bucky has to get out of his own head and go on a strange journey to investi
Published July 23rd 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Grimoire Noir, please sign up.
Vera Greentea Hi! This is the author! I'd love to write the sequel, but can only do so if the publisher wants to publish it! The best way to get Grimoire Noir 2 wou…moreHi! This is the author! I'd love to write the sequel, but can only do so if the publisher wants to publish it! The best way to get Grimoire Noir 2 would be to ask them (First Second/Macmillan) and show them that you're excited to read more! Thanks for asking this question! <3
-Vera(less)
Vera Greentea Thank you so much! <3
Thank you so much! <3
I guess you probably know that the book is out now, available in all bookstores! (less)

Start your review of Grimoire Noir
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is a little tough to rate, because I honestly want to give the artwork 5 solid stars, and the storyline 3 at best. It's a positively stunning book with a lot of lovely and unique characters, but the plot needs more fleshing out and the ending was confusing, anticlimactic, and didn't really make much sense. There are definitely some noir elements to allude to the title, but by the time you reach the conclusion, it feels like there were a lot of vague red herrings thrown out there just to up ...more
Jessica
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me just get this off my chest: THE ART IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. I mean, seriously. The book is worth it for the art ALONE. The story is also good, but I felt a little cheated. There was so much world building and character building that when it was over I was like, WAIT WHAT NOW THAT CAN'T BE ALL YOU MUST TELL ME MORE! So, yes, I would love a sequel, should the author and illustrator choose to bless us with one. In the meantime here's a wonderful spooky ghosts/witches/detective story, perfect ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
This is yet another library borrow that I will have to go buy my own copy of. The illustrations are GORGEOUS. The character facial expressions are dead on for the entire graphic novel. This would be a fantastic Halloween read. It's got a missing sister, a flooding small town with magical powers, a creepy manor, a ghost in a well and a secretive coven. One of the best graphic novels I've ever read. (Disclaimer: I haven't read a ton. Maybe a 2 dozen).
Jay G
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

I was sent a copy of this in exchange for my honest review.

Bucky Orson wants nothing more than to find his little sister, Heidi, who disappeared one day from her bedroom without a trace. At first, their parents just think she is playing a trick, she is a witch with the ability to become invisible after all. But as time continues to pass, and Heidi doesn't come home, they begin to wonde
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
OH MY GOD THIS WAS SO GOOD !!!

I’m such a sucker for short stories, especially ones told with such beautiful art. the setting of this is exactly what I’ve been into lately: a town where everyone accepts and is conscious of magic. it gives me noir beautiful creatures vibes and I loved it.

I imagine there will be more volumes to this considering how it ended but it wasn’t so much a cliffhanger where I’m dissatisfied. I didn’t have any expectations going in but I was pleasantly surprised but how en
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
The art needs it's own stars! 😍 The story was nice but I felt like it needed more work.

Thank you to the publishers for the free copy in exchange for an honest review!
Inna
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel about witches was so admirably written and beautifully illustrated that I definitely will read it again next October!
P.S. Need the sequel!
Kelly Spoer
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please please please let there be a second one.

The art has me swooning.
The story is absorbing.

and just perfect.
Max Baker
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank You Netgalley for providing me a free review in exchange for an honest review

With a title like Grimoire Noir you'd think I'd put together that this graphic novel is...well...a noir. But I didn't, so going into it I was pleasantly surprised by the noir-ish elements and atmosphere before immediately being sucked in by the absolutely gorgeous art style and story.

Graphic novels really have to appeal to me because they to not only draw me in, but keep my attention and Grimoire Noir definitely d
Channa
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
5 stars for the artwork, 2 stars for the storyline!

I didn't really connect with the characters, found the dialogue clunky, and also happen to despise (view spoiler), so the plot just wasn't for me. But the artwork - GORGEOUS! I need more illustrations from this artist, and I need them now!
Mandy
I hadn't heard anything about this book before it was advertised for my library online. I'm always down for a missing sister plot line, but then add in witches? Yes, please! I was pleasantly surprised by just how good the art was as well. It was dark, moody, broody, and wonderfully detailed. I was super impressed, and I loved how atmospheric and spooky the art got while still bringing a light to it.

The biggest issue that I had with the book was perhaps I never fully grasped it overall. I always
Ashley
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations were BEAUTIFUL. All of it was done incredibly well and the extra images in the back of the book are fantastic.

The story however......that could use a lot of polishing. It was so choppy and a bit frustrating to read, but there is definitely potential there.
Kim
My friend Alicia's recent review put this graphic novel on my radar, and I enjoyed my introduction to the small town of Blackwell. Since the witch-trials several centuries ago, all of the girls are born with Magick, but are unable to leave the confines of the town. Bucky’s little sister Heidi disappeared a couple of days ago, and his mother, distraught, cannot stop crying. Which is a problem, because her tears are linked to rainfall, and the town is starting to flood. As police chief, Bucky’s da ...more
Jessica
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This cover caught my attention the first time I saw it on the shelf, and I'm so glad I finally picked it up! It has such a spooky, beautiful, Harry Potter-esque atmosphere that I instantly fell in love with. The artwork is gorgeous, the story is compelling... I just can't say enough good things about it. My only complaint is that it's too short! I would easily read a long book series that expanded on this world. (I'm open to suggestions!)
Julie
This art work was GORGEOUS. I'm a little obsessed. The story surprised me in some ways and there are things I'd love more developing on - a whole series in this world would be incredible.
Phoebe
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This story really lacked for me, I’d probably give it 2.5 stars. HOWEVER the artwork is phenomenal and I would give it all the stars in the universe.
Jill Kenna
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved this graphic novel. The story is all about a town where all the girls born in the town have magical powers. Our story starts off with Heidi, the daughter of the town sheriff, going missing. Her brother, Bucky, tries to help investigate her disappearance and goes around the town asking questions. I really liked this book because there were plenty of twists and turns throughout. I thought I had figured out what was going on but I was wrong which I actually enjoyed! The worst thing i ...more
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
The art in this is absolutely STUNNING and really sets the mood of the story. Sadly the actual story was not as fleshed out as it should have been.
It was a really interesting witchy concept and is a perfect story for this October spooky season. But a lot of really interesting plot points are left unresolved or are introduced but never played off at the end. Also the ending was really rushed and barely explained anything. I really wanted this to be an amazing read but sadly I think it should hav
Natalya Kahmann
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

It was really good at the start but needed to flesh out a few things to become excellent. Also another volume would be good to. :)
Raquel
Grimoire Noir caught my attention with its gorgeous art style and kept my attention with its magical world.

This graphic novel follows Bucky as he aims to discover who took his sister. Bucky lives in a town called Blackwell where most girls are born with a special power referred to as a charm. The girls are protected from the outside world by a magical barrier; the catch is that no one with powers can leave the town. Since his sister is one of those girls who can’t leave he knows someone in Blac
Vanessa
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this up just browsing my local library. This feels like a 3.5 but I'll bump it up to 4 for the art. The art caught my attention while browsing, it's so lovely throughout the book.

The story was... good. It's not amazing, for a few reasons. The story is set in a town, Blackwell, that is the only town with magic users (just girls) and there are protections for magic users in society but they are physically unable to leave town. Obviously, story about witches I am all over it.

Bucky is our
Alicia
I am obsessed with this mysteriously magical graphic novel! The illustrations by Bogatch are breathtaking and moody in all the ways that bring the story to life-- a story about Beauregard aka Bucky whose young sister went missing after receiving an invitation from the Crows-- the magical coven of women in their town but was going to reject the invitation. He's on a quest, long trenchcoat and all, to solve the mystery and figure out where his sister is, believing that she is alive. The overarchin ...more
Lauren
A solid read-a-like for fantasy graphic novels like The Witch Boy, Oddly Normal #1, or even The Tea Dragon Society

The artwork was amazing as were so many of the characters. I enjoyed the twists and turns of the story line but feel it could have had more depth. I would recommend this title to readers as young as middle grade, although our library does shelve it in the Teen or YA section. I really want there to be a sequel though I realize the open ending is exactly the point.
Katie
I really enjoyed this graphic novel, probably my favorite I've read this year. The illustrations are beautiful and intriguing, mostly sepia toned in a way that matches the mood of the book, but so beautifully that you don't notice it isn't full-color. The few splashes of color, mostly of people's eyes or other details are as captivating as the book's mystery--I didn't stop to notice whether the color was significant in any way or ties together with the plot, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did ...more
Becky
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite being exactly what it said on the back cover, this book surprised me - in a good way. The art was stunningly gorgeous, the subtle use of color was excellent, the world-building was utterly captivating. I keep running into the same problem when I read graphic novels, which is that I always want MORE - more to the story, more time with the characters, just more - and that was still true of this one, but to a lesser extent than sometimes. The art and the story are so rich and detailed, and ...more
Ken Yuen
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting mystery! And while the story follows the tropes of a detective mystery (the main kid even has a detective outfit) when the truth of the matter is unveiled, it's far more complicated than what was expected. Also the art is mostly blacks and white, very noir.

I'm not sure how to feel about the final revelations. Can ostensibly evil acts be justified if the ends justify the means? Feels like there's some sequel baiting.

Kind of wish we could have gotten to know some more of the ch
Stephanie (aka WW)
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) The artwork in this cute YA graphic novel is terrific. It has such a unique atmosphere and style. Sadly, though, I found the story lacking. The plot was a good one, but the way it was presented felt very random. It seemed as though revelations came out of left field, as if the reader was supposed to know things that hadn’t been explained. I think it could have benefited from a comprehensive overview of the town and its situation before the story began. Fantastic artwork, though.
Veronica
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The art is GORGEOUS. I could look at it all day. The noir palette, with the ominous splashes of color... absolutely fantastic. The plot is a bit thin and the climax is confusing. It's also unfortunate that the only characters of color are the boss of the Mean Girl witch coven and her older sister, who despite her incredibly cool character design is at least nominally the villain of the book.
Summer (speaking_bookish)
This a new favorite graphic novel and and an author/illustrator to watch out for! The storyline is great and the illustrations are absolutely stunning. This is a mix between a 1950's noir style mystery and witchy fantasy with creepy ghosts. The two put together made for a very interesting reading experience. I picked this up on a whim and I'm so, so happy that I did. I recommend this 100%!

I read this for the Monster Hunt readathon and #sbooktober2019.
Shannan
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The drawings in this book are beyond fantastic - they’re mesmerizing. They are why I’m rounding up on this one. Yara Bogatch lured me into and led me through the pages. I wish Vera Greentea’s story had been a little more cohesive and structured. I see what she was intending, and I typically enjoy stories like this one, but this one lacked the depth I wanted to go along with the art.

• Snapdragon
  • Mooncakes
  • Topside
  • The Phantom Twin
  • Witchlight
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Okay Witch
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • Stargazing
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Almost American Girl
  • Beetle & the Hollowbones
  • Go with the Flow
  • Stage Dreams
Vera Greentea really wants to buy a haunted house one day. In the meantime, she spends her time writing YA and middle-grade about witches, and pretending that the footsteps behind her are ghosts. (They're not. They usually belong to her rather large and clumsy cat, Caspian.) One day, though...

Vera Greentea's first traditionally published book is GRIMOIRE NOIR (July 2019, Macmillan/First Second),