Start by marking “Doggone (The Adventures of Sherlock Bones #1)” as Want to Read:
Doggone (The Adventures of Sherlock Bones #1)

Doggone (The Adventures of Sherlock Bones #1)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Adventures of Sherlock Bones turns snooping on its floppy ear when one day, Dr. Jane Catson, a surgeon injured in the Cat Wars has an afternoon nap interrupted by a most unusual occurrence.

On the front lawn of her home, rather loud footsteps disturb her peace as Sherlock Bones, a Great Dane in a deerstalker claiming to be the greatest detective in the world arrives.

A
Published February 21st 2017 by Month9Books (first published January 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Doggone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggone

Pamela King
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Congratulations to Lauren Baratz-Logsted on a delightful children’s introduction to the world’s most famous fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes. Not only is The Adventures of Sherlock Bones: Doggone a wonderful children’s story it is an amusing light hearted read for adults. I was grinning all the way through the book.

Dr Catson lives at 221B Baker St. A mutual friend sends Sherlock Bones (a Great Dane who wears a deerstalker of course) to see her (yes her) thinking Dr Jane Catson’s house would
Stefanie
To sum it up short, this is Sherlock Holmes for kids, with speaking animals.

I did enjoy this book, especially Dr. Catson, who is a very funny, wonderful character. She is witty and sceptical, yet just like a normal cat, she loves her naps and dinners. A fun combination.
I have to admit, that although I am a dog lover, I didn't get a connection with Sherlock Bones himself. He seems aloft and strange. But then, this might be the intention, since the original Sherlock Holmes is like that. Still, for
iamnotabookworm
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This is my first to read a retelling of my favorite detective of all time--Sherlock Holmes. What's endearing and amusing about this version is that the main characters are talking animals. Sherlock, of course, is a dog. Much to my delight because I just love dogs. Surprising of all is that Watson is a cat and a female at that. Add in the six cute street urchins as puppies, Sherlock's trustworthy and reliable street informers. The cast of characters alone had me already grinning from ear to ear. ...more
Laura Reading
This is the first book in the series as well as part one of a two part treatment of a Sherlock Holmes classic, which has also been used widely in 5 minute mysteries. The murder has the theme of revenge.

Based on the well known work by Conan Doyle, with some twists and reversals, and the addition of a jetpack wearing turtle, this introduction to the characters and deductive reasoning method will appeal to younger readers. I do think that some of the sarcasm may be lost on them and a few vocabulary
Jan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a marvelous way to introduce young readers to mysteries and especially the Sherlock ones! This first in series introduces the cast of characters with their foibles and assets. The publisher's blurb gives hints and there is no need for spoilers, but that can't begin to prepare you for all the laughs! The kids may not get all the puns,but that's the joy of having them read aloud, because we do!
I won this free review copy in a giveaway.
CorrieGM
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A cat who was a surgeon, a dog who is a great detective.
Oh yes, and some humans who cannot even solve a murder properly.

Wonderful story. Of course it is corny sometimes, but I loved reading it.
Good for a rainy sunday. And we all know there are a lot of them.
Bethany Swafford
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
In a world where animals and humans converse, Dr. Jane Catson is expecting to nap her way through life after the Cat Wars. The unexpected arrival of a Great Dane by the name of Sherlock Bones shakes up her world with a murder mystery.

This was a rather clever retelling of the Holmes story that kicked off Sherlock Holmes, A Study in Scarlet. The mystery was recognizable, and the characters rather fun. With the two main characters as animals, they were amusing with their cat/dog interactions.

There
Rebecca Stalnaker
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very fun story with intriguing characters! To read my full review, check out my blog post here :)
Rachael M
Mar 08, 2017
Allyson
Janani
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2017
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Tammy
Kim hansen
Feb 22, 2017
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a
More about Lauren Baratz-Logsted

The Adventures of Sherlock Bones (2 books)
  • Dog Not Gone! (The Adventures of Sherlock Bones #2)