Start by marking “Hellfighters (The Devil's Engine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hellfighters (The Devil's Engine, #2)

Hellfighters

(The Devil's Engine #2)

Thrown into a relentless war against the forces of darkness, fifteen-year-old Marlow Green and his squad of secret soldiers must fight for control of the Devils Enginesancient, infernal machines that can make any wish come true, as long as you are willing to put your life on the line. But after a monstrous betrayal, Marlow, Pan and the other Hellraisers find themselves on ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Hellfighters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellfighters

Start your review of Hellfighters (The Devil's Engine, #2)
Ricky
The first book in Alexander Gordon Smith's devilish little trilogy got off to a pretty good start, but the sequel improves on its predecessor so very much. While the first book was brought down a bit for me by the romantic elements not eliciting so much interest, this book is all action, all the time. It's a rip-roaring, pure-hellfire adrenaline rush on the level of Fury Road, with the usual Darren Shan-esque levels of horror we've come to expect from Smith - something very much needed while ...more
Wendy
Mar 30, 2016 marked it as to-read
edit: blurb edited! 5/23/16

Uhm..... The description on this book here is kind-of a major spoiler if you haven't read the first book. Just a heads up.
Nicholas Lange
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: High School or Above
Recommended to Nicholas by: My English Professor
Shyla Colt
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Holy Rusted Metal Batman. Hold onto your tights because this is going to be a bumpy ride. If you thought the last book left off in a place that made you want to scream because you needed to know what happened to next, welcome to an even more insane book. I don't want to ruin any of the twists and turns, so I'm going to vague you. Be prepared to be stunned, my fellow readers. The poop is hitting the fan and it's splattering in places you hadn't even considered.

I'm still reeling as I write this.
Stephania
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's clear that Alexander Gordon Smith took the reviews of the first book into account as he was writing this one. If you liked the premise of Hellraisers but thought it plodded on or that the characters weren't developed, I implore you to read Hellfighters. It instantly jumps into character development (and I mean on the first page), and despite being roughly half the length of Hellraisers, it packs a lot of plot.

Obviously, because this is an Alexander Gordon Smith novel, he brings his usual
Saleena Davidson
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is part two of the Devil's Engine series, and even though I didn't love the first one, I figured I would try the next section anyway. Honestly, some of the issues I had with the first one, were dealt with in this issue, and the writing is strong. Some parts of it were predictable, but it was creepy and interesting and well paced. Not my favorite book series, but I think teens will love it; and that is who should love it.
Teana
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Zeke
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
good
Amy Braun
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I read these books, but I have to admit that it didn't take me long to become re-emerged in the world, to remember the characters, and to recall why I loved this series so much! The story is very fast paced (almost nonstop action, a Gordon Smith signature), but I never felt like it was too much. Gordon Smith's action is always exciting, the demons unlike anything I've read before in fiction and the tension so quick I've bitten my nails down to the quick. Another thing ...more
Sheila
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such a great trilogy so far.
So in this book we have Marlow and the others still trying to figure out how to save themselves and the world.
During their adventures they learn the evil they have been chasing might not be the evil one after all and it's possibly someone else they trusted. Who will stop the engines? The evil? Who will end up in hell and who ends up saving whom? Looking forward to reading book three.
I so want to reread books one and two and then the whole trilogy again.
Glen
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I won an ARC of this novel in a goodreads drawing.

It's a passable fantasy about a group of teens trying to get The Devil's Engines, which will grant any wish if one is willing to put their lives on the line.
Amber Mackey
Kromby
Nov 11, 2018
Kathleen
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Way too violent and gross for my taste, but the characters are so amazing I had to read the 2nd book to find out what happens to them. This is perfect for fans of dark fantasy that has non-stop action.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Junky
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • All You Can Eat
  • The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
  • Depraved
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • 100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)
  • Deadland's Harvest (Deadland Saga, #2)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Dodge Tank (Crystal Shards Online, #1)
  • Ink Mage (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #1)
  • Djinn: An Extreme Horror Novel
  • Last Heir of the North
  • The Tattooed Duchess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #2)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
Alexander Gordon Smith is the author of the Escape from Furnace series of young adult novels, including Lockdown and Solitary. Born in 1979 in Norwich, England, he always wanted to be a writer. After experimenting in the service and retail trades for a few years, Smith decided to go to University. He studied English and American Literature at the University of East Anglia, and it was here that he ...more

The Devil's Engine (3 books)
  • Hellraisers (The Devil's Engine, #1)
  • Hellwalkers (The Devil's Engine, #3)