Start by marking “Hitleris. Paskutinė Diena: minutė po minutės.” as Want to Read:
Hitleris. Paskutinė Diena: minutė po minutės.

Hitleris. Paskutinė Diena: minutė po minutės.

„Paskutinė Hitlerio diena“ – tai chronologinė istorija, pasakojama tų, kurie tomis neramiomis valandomis liko šalia Hitlerio; tų, kurie kovojo Berlyno gatvėse ir kurie žingsniavo valdžios koridoriais Vašingtone, Londone bei Maskvoje. Tai buvo ir pabaigos, ir pradžios diena, kai paprasti žmonės pateko į nepaprastas situacijas. Sisi Wilczek, sprunkanti nuo artėjančių rusų su ...more
Published February 2016 by Obuolys (first published April 9th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hitleris. Paskutinė Diena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitleris. Paskutinė Diena

Susan
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is described as a minute by minute description of Hitler’s Last Day, in fact it is more than that. This book takes us through the day before his suicide Sunday 29th April and the his last day, Monday 30th April. However, it does so not only through the perspective of those in the bunker, but also through the diaries, letters, memoirs of other people throughout the world – from political leaders such as Churchill, Stalin and Harry Truman, to journalists such as Alan Whicker, prisone ...more
Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and... by: Mister BUNK Er

(rehearsing his part)

Well, this is not exactly the LAST DAY of Hitler, rather an hourly report of the last two days of the man and those he was in company with. But the report includes a timely inclusion of world events, which, somehow, relate to the great event: WWII. So it’s a (debatable) account of those fatidic days of 28th and 29th of April 1945, inside a bunker.

Right from the start of the book, you can get an appreciation of the forces heading towards Berlin. Those military forces are dep
Beata
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book covers not only the last day of Hitler's life but guides the reader throught years well before WW2. A good book for those who would like to learn something about the tyrant and the mechanism behind his dark power.
Themistocles
Well, I confess, I quit this book nearly halfway through.

I'm a sucker for the apocalypse days in Berlin, and I was hoping to learn something new about the last moments in the bunker. However, the title is totally, absolutely misleading.

To begin with it doesn't describe the last day, but mostly the last two days. But it could be forgiven for that.

What I could not forgive is that the book is NOT about Hitler but about anything and everything the author could think of throwing in there - from the
Hayley
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction, wwii
Whilst the title of this book is rather misleading, it really should be called the 'Final 48 Hours of World War Two', this is something I can forgive as I did thoroughly enjoy it. I was expect to read an entirely different book and for it to be solely around Hitler's last moments, I did like the fact that I could find out more about the events happening around the world at that time.

The book features a lot of passages from people who was there at the time from memoirs and eye witness accounts a
Paul Hodgson
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Gripping from start to finish. Fascinating historical record. I found it hard to put down. You know the outcome but the details of how you get there are remarkable.
FamilyOfTheDay
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I have had this on my TBR (To Be Read) Pile for a over year. When I first heard of this book on the History Hit Podcast, I then luckily found it on sale that same week but due to my lack of reading mojo at the time it has unfortunately gathered a bit of dust whilst laying on my shelf up until now.

Even though by the cover and back of the book, I anticipated most of the content to be all about Hitler, the reality is anything but. We do get a timeline of events of not just Hitl
Nishanth
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books takes us through the minute by minute incidents happened over 3 days - 29th April, 30th April when Hitler commits suicide and the days after that. The narration includes the experiences from many people through interviews and diary entries who are fighting the war. Americans, English, Russians, Japanese and etc. The book also tells us the overall situation of second world war. Even though the character list is huge, we do not feel any disconnect between the pages. The timeline of even ...more
Marilyn
This is more than a book about Hitler and Eva and their deaths in the bunker. There are their staffs, and the Goebels family of course; but Mayo also dropped in what was going on in Burma and in the Pacific Theatre of war, the liberation of Dachau and other labour / punishment / interment camps, the initial meetings in San Francisco of what would become the United Nations, the diaries of war correspondents, soldiers, and the families waiting hopefully for the end of the war and the discharge of ...more
Jolanta Zobek
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most readers are disappointed by the book's title. They thought it's going to be a detailed description of the very last moments of the Devil itself. Well, neither it's focused on Hitler nor 's set in one day frame. I recon Mayo had something more general in mind. Maybe we should understand the "Hitler's Last Day" as the end of the world terrorized by the Nazis?
Marius Louw
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. A real page-turner. An immense amount of research must have gone into this project. Exactly the kind of thing I like to read.
Tg
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book with detailed information
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very in-depth and fascinating account. Felt like I was living those final hours. Amazing amount of research has gone into this book for the end result to be as it is.
Glenio Madruga
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rápido, conciso e excelente livro introdutório sobre o assunto.
Lu Etchells
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Straight off, I have to say that the title of this book is very misleading. In no way is this a minute-by-minute account of the Hitler’s last day. What it actually is an almost hourly account of the last two days, which is absolutely fine. I’m not complaining, just, you know, keep it real please writers.

Whilst I find history, of all ages, fascinating, I confess to really struggling to get in to the whole who did what, when and why (and if you give me more than five German names to remember, I’m
Ligra Nera
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Biografija, istorija, atsiminimai, išgyvenimai, vertinimai. Idomu.
Lch
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the title is a bit misleading, this is an excellent account on the final days of the Second World War. The main story is indeed the last day, or actually days, of Hitler, but at least half of the book is dedicated to other storylines. And that’s not bad at all. It gives a full picture of the hectic final war days as they were. My hardcover version of the book had quite a large font which made it more easy to read compared to other books (because pages don’t contain that much information ...more
Jill Meyer
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of Emma Craigie and Jonathan Mayo's excellent history, "Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute", is actually a misnomer. This book is not only the story of Adolf Hitler's final day of life, but the authors include many others, from Winston Churchill to a young reporter, John Kennedy, and many others whose lives were affected by Adolf Hitler and his war. He committed suicide in Berlin as the Russian troops were fighting in the city's streets, hours away from taking over his bunker. Hitler' ...more
Phil Bradley
The title of this book is slightly confusing. If you think that it's all about Hitler's last day, then you'd be wrong. It's actually more like the last 48 hours, and not specifically about Hitler, but what happened across the world in that period of time. Consequently there are side trips to the Far East, to Russians fighting in Berlin, to British and American soldiers.

To be fair however, the greater part of the book IS about the time in the bunker. It's well told and very easy to read. Unfortu
Paula
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2
Naming the book "WWII: The last 48 hours" or something along those lines would be so much more appropriate. If you picked this book because you have an interest in Hitler, you might just give it a pass. If you want a "minute by minute" review of what happened the last few days with a bunch of side stories, then you might like it. Emphasis on the might.
Kay
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting juxtaposition of accounts of events on 30th April 1945 as the Allies pushed into Germany, the war in the Far East was starting to turn and in Berlin Hitler spent his last day in the bunker.
Andy & Paula Williams
Totally absorbing!

An absolutely cracking read, both enlightening and emotional, by the time I had finished I wanted more. An absolutely brilliantly book , thought provoking and a must for anyone interested in second world war history.
Garth
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Pulls a number a threads together - some I already knew and some new - into and interesting picture of what was happening on the last day of Hitler's life.
Theresa Amarasinghe
rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2018
  • The Nazi Hunters
  • Bomber Boys: Fighting Back, 1940-1945
  • Road Of Bones: The Siege Of Kohima 1944   The Epic Story Of The Last Great Stand Of Empire
  • The War in the West: A New History Volume 2, . the Allies Fight Back 1941-43
  • Operation Sea Lion
  • Where the Iron Crosses Grow: The Crimea 1941–44
  • Inferno: The Fiery Destruction of Hamburg, 1943
  • The Women Who Flew for Hitler: The True Story of Hitler's Valkyries
Jonathan Mayo joined the BBC in 1987, first working in radio and then television, where he won awards for his documentaries. In 2011 he became a freelance producer, director, and writer. He is the author of The JFK Assassination: Minute by Minute (Short Books, 2013). He lives in Surrey with his wife and son.