Start by marking “Station Breaker (Station Breaker #1)” as Want to Read:
Station Breaker (Station Breaker #1)

Station Breaker

(Station Breaker #1)

A cutting edge technothriller from the bestselling author of Angel Killer and Public Enemy Zero.

Astronaut David Dixon's first mission to space goes horribly wrong when shots are fired on a Russian space station. He finds himself making an emergency landing from orbit and becomes the most wanted man on Earth.

Desperate to unravel the plot he’s found himself in, he takes
Published February 17th 2016

Start your review of Station Breaker (Station Breaker #1)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/07/22/...

Recently, my family went on a road trip and my husband and I needed a good audiobook to listen to for the 8-hour drive. This was no small challenge. First, it would have to suit both our tastes, and my husband can be really picky. Second, anyone who’s ever driven long distances knows how monotonous it can be. Doesn’t matter how much coffee you load up on, those long stretches of highway offering little to no variety when i
Deborah Whipp
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandonned
I like thrillers, but more along the lines of Ludlum, Clancy, and even Cussler. However, if you like your protagonists to speak in nearly constant one-liners and have the maturity level of 12-year old boys, this is the book for you. Additionally, the writing style was often as immature as the book's hero.

Actual quotes from the book:

"BANG!"

"BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!!"

"BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!!"

"BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP"

"BANG!!! BANG!!! BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP"

"BOOM!"

I declar
Joseph M. O'Connor
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Gawd-awful...

I generally try to give authors the benefit of the doubt in reviewing a book. I know it takes time, effort and dedication to produce a novel of any sort. Therefore just having made the effort deserves a certain amount of credit.

No credit is due here. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. This book is just plain stupid!

So... do we blame the author or the editor or the agent or... well... ME for having read 42% before just giving up? I'll admit to my part; it was (remotely) possible that a gold nug
Jim
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looking at the other reviews, it's clear you're likely to love this book, or hate it...for the same reason. The Mayne Style is distinctive. I mean, the guy had a TV show, "Don't Trust Andrew Mayne." The folks you distrust tend to fall in two camps: the ones you don't trust but love anyway, and the ones you don't trust and avoid like the plague. I'm in the former camp.

Andrew Mayne knows how to dribble.

So many books - so many - these days are hamstrung by stilted dialog and writing generally in n
Wallyton
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fast paced FUN ride by Andrew Mayne. Man, its difficult for me to put his books down once I start. If I had a few hours together I think thats how I would prefer to read them. All at once! On top of the fast paced cat and mouse intrigue that kept me sucked in, I really enjoyed all the detail around space, space travel, the space program, and the not too distant future space industry.
Fred Hughes
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rough and tumble adventure with a constant threat against our hero and moments of levity. Our hero manages to rise to the occasion when events get out of hand.

Ends with a cliff hanger prompting you to get the next book in the series which I will be getting.

Recommended
Hannah
I feel bad giving this only 3 stars, but I don't want to give it quite 4 either. We're still waiting for those half stars, Goodreads! Anyway, I'm not even sure exactly what genre this is, because it really is a little bit of everything. It was non-stop action from the very beginning, and while I did enjoy that, this book needed a bit more heart, in my opinion.

David was a great protagonist with a sarcastic sense of humor I loved, and I enjoyed my time with him, but I'm not invested enough to rea
Eric Mesa
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me start off with the only thing that bothered me. Our protagonist, David Dixon, is so genre savvy that he knows he's in a thriller novel. Not on a 4th wall breaking sort of way, but I'm his inner monologue he knows all the tropes to avoid. He even refers to the McGuffin as the McGuffin. But for the plot to kick off, he has to hold the idiot ball for the first couple chapters, ignoring sign after sign that something is up. The inconsistency threatened to take me out of the story for the firs ...more
AudioBookReviewer
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Station Breaker audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Station Breaker, written by Andrew Mayne, is the first book in the “Space Ops” Series; which is getting some attention due to the high customer ratings and reviews.  At this time, the first two books are currently available in audiobook format on Audible.  It is unclear if the series will become a trilogy or something much larger.  I guess we will have to wait and see.  The book was well narrated by A
Mary Kinney
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun read. Improbable but very entertaining. Will read more of your books. I found it curious that the main character always feels his decisions are a poor choice to the point it becomes predictable.

Barb
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was very entertaining. This would be a perfect book to recommend to people who loved The Martian. Like The Martian, it is near future sci fi with a likable protagonist who is a great problem solver. I’m already well into book 2.
Susan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story with engaging characters. Not too serious a read.
Jane
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As good as all others!

Don’t try to peg him with one genre! Everything I read of his is fantastic and grips you from the start. I look forward to every book he writes!
Donna
I love Andrew Mayne's Naturalist series, but I gave up on this one about half way through. Just too improbable with short jerky chapters that jump from 'action scene!' to 'action scene!'
laureen a deibert
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this author!

I have read several books by Andrew Mayne; "The Naturalist", and it's sequel "Looking Glass", and now this book, "Station Breaker". This book was exciting to the point of keeping me up at night. Espionage, space, danger... this book is great! What amazes me about this author, is how he doesn't stick to one genre in his writing, and his knowledge about the subjects he writes about (in this case, space) seems so great.
Emily
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. I assume the technical bits are correct, since I know near to absolutely nothing about spacecraft and what not (my point being it’s believable). Not ecstatic about the intentional open ending, but only because I want to read more (which I suppose is the point). The pacing and dialogue are both excellent. The writing style reminds me of Hemingway’s—concise, but leaves a lot of the unspoken exposition up to the reader to flesh out (if they so choose; I like working for a story when ...more
Gregory
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Unrealistic

While I get that SCIFI is supposed to push the boundaries of what is possible, there are too many issues with the science and training to be believable even with the help of future technology. Playing on a video game as a kid, even the best simulator does not prepare you for flying a 777 low to the ground. Is the main character a nerd or Superman? One of the characters is introduced as a former Navy Seal, Navy Pilot and Astronaut. Because this plot is set in the near future, it comes
Jasmine
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mayne’s books are either quite good or incredibly terrible. My impression is that he writes a lot of junk books to make money — quantity over quality. The way kindle unlimited encourages writers to produce whether the writing is good or not. Writers are paid on the percentage of the book you read... not whether the book was good or enjoyable.

A lot of this story is filler with brief flashes of action. The action is often unwarranted and boring because it lacks context or intrigue. The writing is
Joyce Kelly
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The premise of how an astronaut can come back from space and be the most hunted man in the world when he lands... was the hook that got me to read this book.
The answer had me on a ride that was so fantastical and absurd. I know it science fiction, but really? The main character’s one liners were at first amusing then just out of place with the situations he found himself in. I know this is a kind of tongue in cheek book... but it didn’t work for me. And the audiobook’s narrator was overacting s
Fred Platten
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
How does this book have a 4+ rating? This book is terrible. It's basically a narration of a video game or brainless action movie. Just uninteresting nonsense. Like watching a CGI-heavy action sequence, BFD. Oh, and the main character is a smarmy little shit that I was hoping would die in every chapter.

Actual Quote:
"BANG! BANG! BANG-BANG-BANG!"

That's when I threw this book into the DNF graveyard. People should have higher standards. If you gave this book 4 or 5 stars you really have no idea what
Gary Fisher
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! Read this book! Non-stop action from beginning to end. David Dixon is a.combination of Kip Russell, Jason Bourne, Malcom Reynolds and Jim Holden.

There was one "isn't that convenient" coincidence near the end of the book, but other than that the only thing that's hard to swallow is how resourceful David is as he moves from one disaster to another. I give him an AFI of about 2000.

The ending is a little abrupt, but there's at least one sequel. Gonna download that from Amazon now.
Mr. Snethen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining start to finish but...

There’s a lot to like about Station Breaker, in a guilty action movie, not a lot of intelligent thinking needed kind of way. It’s clearly doing its best Martian imitation crossed with a side show of Jason Bourne. Nevertheless it was a pleasure to read.
David P. Duffy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast Paced, Humorous, Exciting SciFi/Espionage Read

"Station Breaker," authored by Mr. Andrew Wayne, is a fast paced, humorous and exciting SciFi/espionage read. It does require the frequent suspension of credulity, but the action and story makes it worthwhile.

In the near future, the MC, David Dixon is an civilian astronaut, working for a commercial space corporation. David, having been passed over by the military due to his then deficient eyesight, took a longer route in becoming a pilot and an
Scott
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Station Breaker, written by Andrew Mayne, is the first book in the “Space Ops” Series; which is getting some attention due to the high customer ratings and reviews. At this time, the first two books are currently available in audiobook format on Audible. It is unclear if the series will become a trilogy or something much larger. I guess we will have to wait and see. The book was well narrated by Kyle McCarley who has over sixty books narrated at the time of this review. If you are looking for a ...more
Bedhan
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Henri Moreaux
I've previously read & enjoyed The Naturalist & Looking Glass by Mayne and enjoyed them both considerably so when I saw he'd written a space-action novel I thought it would be worth a look. I can now say I'm glad I did as Station Breaker is quite the enthralling novel.

Space, danger, murders, mystery, action, shady intelligence operatives, a romp through Brazil whilst being pursued, it has got it all in one action packed novel. I started reading this in the late evening and found myself so engros
Jerry Mount
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Station Breaker is a really enjoyable space-based action story. Be advised, the entire book is almost 100% first-person narrative. The hero shares almost every thought with the readers. That was OK with me, but your mileage may differ. Also, the action/danger/combat scenes are more over the top than those of most James Bond or Jason Bourne stories.

If you love very fast-paced wall-to-wall action with some tech stuff, and a sort-of ordinary guy placed into a heroic position, this book should be ri
Alik Tam
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Great adventure. Full of thrills, spills and twists. Enjoyed reading through this one. It matched space adventure, government relations, conspiracy, geeky-ness and comic relief well.

It was really engaging from the get go. But I personally felt that it kind of ran out of steam, right at the end. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it the full way through. However, I feel things winded up a tad bit predictable at the close. Especially when you compare it to just how unpredictable the whole entire
Mike
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun, very fast moving novel.
It starts with one action sequence and pretty quickly flows into the next. There's great chase scenes and the hero is a good combination of out of his element and quick on his feet.
This was very fun, but the ending isn't an ending. It's not even fair to call it a cliffhanger. It just kind of stops and then it's like "to be continued".
But despite a bad ending is still a very fun read and the audio book has a reader who is having a blast with all the ono
Russell Libonati
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The book deserves more than 3 stars, but I couldn't push it to four because the plot was a bit too Hollywood for my taste. The author had a very casual tone, which I loved. It really made for a good read. There was plenty of action to keep the reader occupied. It's not hard science really, but the author makes the attempt. I recommend this book.

I got this book from Amazon. I don't recall if I paid for it or borrowed it, but I was not compensated for this review. The story had some harsh language
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
DFW Planetary Soc...: Station Breaker discussion. Tag Spoilers! 1 7 Sep 08, 2017 02:14PM
The Sword and Laser: Questions for Andrew Mayne 2 39 Apr 12, 2016 11:26AM

• The Enigma Cube
  • The Last Monument
  • Oracle
  • Time Frame (Split Second, #2)
  • Winter World (The Long Winter, #1)
  • Con Living (EarthCent Universe Book 3)
  • Augmented
  • Seeker
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • The Price of Time
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter, #2)
  • The House In The Woods (Atticus Priest Mystery #1)
  • 3zekiel
  • Polar Vortex
  • Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • Veracity
  • Revelation: Ascendancy: Book 1
  • Among the Dead

Station Breaker (2 books)
  • Orbital (Station Breaker #2)