Start by marking “Station Breaker (Station Breaker #1)” as Want to Read:
Station Breaker (Station Breaker #1)

Station Breaker

(Station Breaker #1)

A cutting edge technothriller from the bestselling author of Angel Killer and Public Enemy Zero.

Astronaut David Dixon's first mission to space goes horribly wrong when shots are fired on a Russian space station. He finds himself making an emergency landing from orbit and becomes the most wanted man on Earth.

Desperate to unravel the plot he’s found himself in, he takes hi
Published February 17th 2016 (first published February 1st 2016)

Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/07/22/...

Recently, my family went on a road trip and my husband and I needed a good audiobook to listen to for the 8-hour drive. This was no small challenge. First, it would have to suit both our tastes, and my husband can be really picky. Second, anyone who’s ever driven long distances knows how monotonous it can be. Doesn’t matter how much coffee you load up on, those long stretches of highway offering little to no variety when i
Deborah Whipp
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandonned
I like thrillers, but more along the lines of Ludlum, Clancy, and even Cussler. However, if you like your protagonists to speak in nearly constant one-liners and have the maturity level of 12-year old boys, this is the book for you. Additionally, the writing style was often as immature as the book's hero.

Actual quotes from the book:

"BANG!"

"BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!!"

"BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!!"

"BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP"

"BANG!!! BANG!!! BAP-BAP-BAP-BAP"

"BOOM!"

I declar
Joseph M. O'Connor
Oct 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Gawd-awful...

I generally try to give authors the benefit of the doubt in reviewing a book. I know it takes time, effort and dedication to produce a novel of any sort. Therefore just having made the effort deserves a certain amount of credit.

No credit is due here. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. This book is just plain stupid!

So... do we blame the author or the editor or the agent or... well... ME for having read 42% before just giving up? I'll admit to my part; it was (remotely) possible that a gold nug
Jim
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looking at the other reviews, it's clear you're likely to love this book, or hate it...for the same reason. The Mayne Style is distinctive. I mean, the guy had a TV show, "Don't Trust Andrew Mayne." The folks you distrust tend to fall in two camps: the ones you don't trust but love anyway, and the ones you don't trust and avoid like the plague. I'm in the former camp.

Andrew Mayne knows how to dribble.

So many books - so many - these days are hamstrung by stilted dialog and writing generally in n
Wallyton
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fast paced FUN ride by Andrew Mayne. Man, its difficult for me to put his books down once I start. If I had a few hours together I think thats how I would prefer to read them. All at once! On top of the fast paced cat and mouse intrigue that kept me sucked in, I really enjoyed all the detail around space, space travel, the space program, and the not too distant future space industry.
Hannah
I feel bad giving this only 3 stars, but I don't want to give it quite 4 either. We're still waiting for those half stars, Goodreads! Anyway, I'm not even sure exactly what genre this is, because it really is a little bit of everything. It was non-stop action from the very beginning, and while I did enjoy that, this book needed a bit more heart, in my opinion.

David was a great protagonist with a sarcastic sense of humor I loved, and I enjoyed my time with him, but I'm not invested enough to rea
AudioBookReviewer
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original Station Breaker audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Station Breaker, written by Andrew Mayne, is the first book in the “Space Ops” Series; which is getting some attention due to the high customer ratings and reviews.  At this time, the first two books are currently available in audiobook format on Audible.  It is unclear if the series will become a trilogy or something much larger.  I guess we will have to wait and see.  The book was well narrated by A
Mary Kinney
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun read. Improbable but very entertaining. Will read more of your books. I found it curious that the main character always feels his decisions are a poor choice to the point it becomes predictable.

Eric Mesa
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me start off with the only thing that bothered me. Our protagonist, David Dixon, is so genre savvy that he knows he's in a thriller novel. Not on a 4th wall breaking sort of way, but I'm his inner monologue he knows all the tropes to avoid. He even refers to the McGuffin as the McGuffin. But for the plot to kick off, he has to hold the idiot ball for the first couple chapters, ignoring sign after sign that something is up. The inconsistency threatened to take me out of the story for the firs ...more
laureen a deibert
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this author!

I have read several books by Andrew Mayne; "The Naturalist", and it's sequel "Looking Glass", and now this book, "Station Breaker". This book was exciting to the point of keeping me up at night. Espionage, space, danger... this book is great! What amazes me about this author, is how he doesn't stick to one genre in his writing, and his knowledge about the subjects he writes about (in this case, space) seems so great.
Gary Fisher
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! Read this book! Non-stop action from beginning to end. David Dixon is a.combination of Kip Russell, Jason Bourne, Malcom Reynolds and Jim Holden.

There was one "isn't that convenient" coincidence near the end of the book, but other than that the only thing that's hard to swallow is how resourceful David is as he moves from one disaster to another. I give him an AFI of about 2000.

The ending is a little abrupt, but there's at least one sequel. Gonna download that from Amazon now.
Mr. Snethen
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining start to finish but...

There’s a lot to like about Station Breaker, in a guilty action movie, not a lot of intelligent thinking needed kind of way. It’s clearly doing its best Martian imitation crossed with a side show of Jason Bourne. Nevertheless it was a pleasure to read.
Emily
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. I assume the technical bits are correct, since I know near to absolutely nothing about spacecraft and what not (my point being it’s believable). Not ecstatic about the intentional open ending, but only because I want to read more (which I suppose is the point). The pacing and dialogue are both excellent. The writing style reminds me of Hemingway’s—concise, but leaves a lot of the unspoken exposition up to the reader to flesh out (if they so choose; I like working for a story when ...more
David P. Duffy
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast Paced, Humorous, Exciting SciFi/Espionage Read

"Station Breaker," authored by Mr. Andrew Wayne, is a fast paced, humorous and exciting SciFi/espionage read. It does require the frequent suspension of credulity, but the action and story makes it worthwhile.

In the near future, the MC, David Dixon is an civilian astronaut, working for a commercial space corporation. David, having been passed over by the military due to his then deficient eyesight, took a longer route in becoming a pilot and an
Scott
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Station Breaker, written by Andrew Mayne, is the first book in the “Space Ops” Series; which is getting some attention due to the high customer ratings and reviews. At this time, the first two books are currently available in audiobook format on Audible. It is unclear if the series will become a trilogy or something much larger. I guess we will have to wait and see. The book was well narrated by Kyle McCarley who has over sixty books narrated at the time of this review. If you are looking for a ...more
Jerry Mount
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Station Breaker is a really enjoyable space-based action story. Be advised, the entire book is almost 100% first-person narrative. The hero shares almost every thought with the readers. That was OK with me, but your mileage may differ. Also, the action/danger/combat scenes are more over the top than those of most James Bond or Jason Bourne stories.

If you love very fast-paced wall-to-wall action with some tech stuff, and a sort-of ordinary guy placed into a heroic position, this book should be ri
Greg
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Unrealistic

While I get that SCIFI is supposed to push the boundaries of what is possible, there are too many issues with the science and training to be believable even with the help of future technology. Playing on a video game as a kid, even the best simulator does not prepare you for flying a 777 low to the ground. Is the main character a nerd or Superman? One of the characters is introduced as a former Navy Seal, Navy Pilot and Astronaut. Because this plot is set in the near future, it comes
Jasmine
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mayne’s books are either quite good or incredibly terrible. My impression is that he writes a lot of junk books to make money — quantity over quality. The way kindle unlimited encourages writers to produce whether the writing is good or not. Writers are paid on the percentage of the book you read... not whether the book was good or enjoyable.

A lot of this story is filler with brief flashes of action. The action is often unwarranted and boring because it lacks context or intrigue. The writing is
Joyce Kelly
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The premise of how an astronaut can come back from space and be the most hunted man in the world when he lands... was the hook that got me to read this book.
The answer had me on a ride that was so fantastical and absurd. I know it science fiction, but really? The main character’s one liners were at first amusing then just out of place with the situations he found himself in. I know this is a kind of tongue in cheek book... but it didn’t work for me. And the audiobook’s narrator was overacting s
Alik Tam
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Great adventure. Full of thrills, spills and twists. Enjoyed reading through this one. It matched space adventure, government relations, conspiracy, geeky-ness and comic relief well.

It was really engaging from the get go. But I personally felt that it kind of ran out of steam, right at the end. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it the full way through. However, I feel things winded up a tad bit predictable at the close. Especially when you compare it to just how unpredictable the whole entire
Russell Libonati
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The book deserves more than 3 stars, but I couldn't push it to four because the plot was a bit too Hollywood for my taste. The author had a very casual tone, which I loved. It really made for a good read. There was plenty of action to keep the reader occupied. It's not hard science really, but the author makes the attempt. I recommend this book.

I got this book from Amazon. I don't recall if I paid for it or borrowed it, but I was not compensated for this review. The story had some harsh language
Mike
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun, very fast moving novel.
It starts with one action sequence and pretty quickly flows into the next. There's great chase scenes and the hero is a good combination of out of his element and quick on his feet.
This was very fun, but the ending isn't an ending. It's not even fair to call it a cliffhanger. It just kind of stops and then it's like "to be continued".
But despite a bad ending is still a very fun read and the audio book has a reader who is having a blast with all the ono
Fred Platten
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
How does this book have a 4+ rating? This book is terrible. It's basically a narration of a video game or brainless action movie. Just uninteresting nonsense. Like watching a CGI-heavy action sequence, BFD. Oh, and the main character is a smarmy little shit that I was hoping would die in every chapter.

Actual Quote:
"BANG! BANG! BANG-BANG-BANG!"

That's when I threw this book into the DNF graveyard. People should have higher standards. If you gave this book 4 or 5 stars you really have no idea what
Jeff
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a snarky space adventure in the near future. The main character bumbles his way through the plot as a combination of Angus Macgyver and Maxwell Smart. The story is unbelievable yet plausible. The technology and its use is quite realistic, with a few miraculous maneuvers that require a bit of forgiveness to allow the author to continue the story. The unbelievable part is that every time our hero gets stuck, he suddenly remembers some new character in the story who becomes his savior and g ...more
Beverly June Davis
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MAGIC

5 because the story was time well spent. I love this man's writing.. The art of Writing in the first person
Is a challenge. The main character is intelligent and funny. It's , also, informative. I learned. New info about space equipment.
I'm a fan of Maynes' books. I'm 81 and a voracious reader. I keep reading my favorite authors, and Mayne is the main go to guy.
Kate Rhoad
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very informative and interesting as the author weaves a possible near future into the history of just about everything. Fortunately those informative inserts interrupted the misadventures of the hero so much I tended to overlook the plausibility of what he was actually doing. It also kept him at arms length so that, despite his cavalier humor, I was unable to really care about him. Not really interested in reading the sequel.
Heather Kemp
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Andrew Mayne thinks out of the box and his writing is never formulaic. I had read a couple of his books before I downloaded Station Breaker and was entertained and involved from the first page. The pace, humour and originality of the story and the way it jumps like a firecracker from space to earth and back to space kept me amused and interested right to the improbable but enjoyable ending. So glad there are more books to come....
Mark
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, kindle, thriller
Wow, this was a real thrill ride, which kicks off and doesn't let up in the action throughout. It's slightly preposterous in some of the action but all the better for it. It reminded me of the film, Lock Out, which is a guilty pleasure to watch.
I got through this book in a single day as it was almost unputdownable. Straight on to the sequel next to see what else is in store for the main character.
Randy Troyer
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good storyline and definitely has its moments

I enjoyed the story and it moved at a quick pace. Very few misspellings or punctuation errors. Storyline is believable (for the most part) and characters were developed fairly well. Not a huge fan of third person books but I enjoyed this one. I would recommend this for tech nuts (like me), light sci-fi and corruption stories as well. All in all a good book.
Kathy H
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wild ride

This was a real page turner, especially the first half. It lulled a bit in the start of the second half but ended with a bang. I spent a lot of time deciding who the perfect actor would be to star in a movie like this, because it seems made for Hollywood. I will read the next one.
DFW Planetary Soc...: Station Breaker discussion. Tag Spoilers! 1 5 Sep 08, 2017 02:14PM
The Sword and Laser: Questions for Andrew Mayne 2 37 Apr 12, 2016 11:26AM
  • The Exterminators, Vol. 4: Crossfire and Collateral
  • 7th Son: Obsidian (7th Son, #3.5)
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 7
  • Citadel 32: A Tale of the Aggregate
  • Pitch Black: Fight Evil With Evil
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 8
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, #4)
  • How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise

Station Breaker (2 books)
  • Orbital (Station Breaker #2)
“I'm about to jump off the cliff of anxiety mountain.” 0 likes
“In space there's no way to ground an electric current. If you have stray voltage, it'll find a path, no matter what.” 0 likes