Start by marking “Breakfast Under a Cornish Sun” as Want to Read:
Breakfast Under a Cornish Sun

Breakfast Under a Cornish Sun

DREAMING OF THE PERFECT MAN?

Kate Golightly needs to move forward and what better way to do that then with a trip to the Cornish coast with best friend and boss, Izzy.

The sea wind is just what Kate needs to finally relax and begin to let go of her past. Except she’s suddenly got one big reason to panic! She RSVP’d ‘yes’ to the Queen Bee of her high school’s wedding saying s
Published July 28th 2016 by Carina

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast Under a Cornish Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast Under a Cornish Sun

Magdalena
Breakfast Under a Cornish Sun is pure summer escapism. Samantha Tonge created a charming, very readable story that's bound to bring a smile to your face. Likeable heroine, great best friend, strong but vulnerable love interest, handsome but unsavoury hunk, amazing grandma. The plot that's a mixture of soul-searching, intrigue and romance. Samantha Tonge put all those ingredients together and gave us a sweet and lighthearted summer read. If you're looking for a light, fun read, that's a book for ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I spent pretty much the entire time I was reading this book with a huge grin on my face and the feeling of hunger in my belly. There are so many wonderful food descriptions, especially early on with a large amount of different doughnut flavours and toppings that I found myself craving a doughnut.

For you see Kate works with her best friend Izzy in a cafe/cocktail bar called Doughnuts and Daiquiris, which does coffee during the day, and turns into a cocktail place at night, complete with Kate mov
Kim
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, net-galley, kindle
This really was a delightful book set in my favourite part of the country. Our holiday tradition is to sit outside a cafe overlooking 'our' beach when we arrive early on the first Saturday with a full English breakfast - so the title of this book drew me straight away!

Kate gets an unexpected holiday in Cornwall with her best friend Izzy, when their place of work 'Donuts and Daiquiris' is undergoing a makeover. Izzy owns the business and it sounds absolutely wonderful- delicious flavours of dough
Zoe
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet, charming, and heartwarming!

This story sweeps you away on a seaside holiday, complete with sandy beaches, delicious cocktails, scrumptious food, and handsome men.

The characters are amusing, funny, and intriguing. The writing is well done. And the plot is a wonderful mixture of earnest soul-searching, suspicious mishaps, and of course a little romance!

This is a lovely, lighthearted, easy read that is a perfect choice for summer!

Thank you to NetGalley, especially Carina UK, for providing me
Donna Irwin
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just loved this book - great heroine and romantic hero. Wonder if it was because I read it under a Cornish sun ? Perfect beach read for a Cornish holiday. PS I am still looking for Ross Poldark!....
Agi
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-releases

I actually have nothing against women covering for the fact that they're single and inventing boyfriends only to "keep a face" for their friends, and I thought that "Breakfast Under a Cornish Sky" could be THIS book. Especially as it is set in Cornwall, which lately seems to be THE place to go - I mean, to set a story. And also, there is something that Ms Tonge has already proven she's brilliant at - and namely, there is food, glorious food! The descriptions of all those delicious goodies were m
Alison Winter
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bit slow to start but once the story got going it was fab.
Tracie Banister
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Kate Golightly receives an unexpected invitation to her high school frenemy's wedding, she panics. She's so insecure about her lack of success on both the personal and professional fronts that she lies to the bride-to-be, telling her she has a boyfriend who's a hunky Ross Poldark lookalike and he'll be escorting her to the wedding. Now she only has a few weeks to find a gorgeous man with dark, curly hair and washboard abs to play the role of her significant other!

Kate's best friend and boss
Shaz Goodwin
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it

The opening scene with Kate at work in Donuts and Daiquiris lays the foundation of the story. Her friendship with boss Izzy is open and warm whilst a telephone call with old school friend Saffron leaves us in no doubt there is past hurt there. Giving Saffron an untruth about her current relationship status leads on to intrigue about a past love and the depth of feelings she still has for him.

Izzy books two weeks away at White Rocks Resort which is close to
Julie
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Kate Golightly ( love her name by the way) is invited to the wedding of the girl who used to bully her at school, she invents a Poldark lookalike boyfriend to accompany her. From then on it's Mission Poldark as she tries to ensnare the right man. With lots of lavish description of both Cornwall and Mr Poldark's dark smouldering looks and rippling muscles not to mention the delectable donuts created by her boss, this book just oozes summer. It wouldn't be much of a book if things went smooth ...more
Bev Taylor
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
dreaming of the perfect man?

kate golightly lost her long term boyfriend in a car accident but she cannot let him go and regularly sends him messages via facebook

then one of old enemies from her school days - once her best friend - calls and asks her to attend her wedding with a plus one. kate accepts and invents ross, as in poldark. one problem - she has to find him!

her best friend and employer izzy decides to treat them to a holiday at a spa resort in cornwall which is also close to her gran
Karen
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. The main character Kate lost her love in an accident and is having a hard time moving on. Her best friend and boss takes her on vacation with the hopes of her finding her own Poldark love interest to take to the wedding of her former high school friend. Love the twist the story takes of Kate and Izzy helping out at the resort they are staying at. Fun weekend read that makes me such a fan of British Chick Lit.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this. There were some minor flaws in the story but nothing that stopped me from reading or stopped me enjoying. Simple, quick read.
Karen
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omigosh, y'all. This book has it all even before cracking the digital spine.

Samantha Tonge = Awesome
CarinaUK = one of a very small handful of publishing companies that has yet to do me wrong (thanks for the book via NetGalley!)
Cornwall = the land with which I'm so totally obsessed ... thanks in part to ...
Ross Poldark

I mean .... seriously. If I were in need of making up a fake boyfriend I would definitely be tempted to give myself all that.

So, Kate's in a pickle. Several, actually. A secure si
Thamy
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley.

Kate receives an unexpected call from her school-days frenemy and catches herself making up her ideal boyfriend before knowing the consequences. Now she has been invited to a wedding and her non-existing soulmate is to be her plus one. While frantic in her search for someone to play the part, she goes South with a friend to a resort where she will meet one too many candidates while helping out the owners rebrand the place.

This book has slow developmen
Alison
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I feel very privileged to have been given the chance to read this before publication. The cover is so inviting, the location idyllic and the story heart-warming, sweet and funny. Oh and did I mention there are a couple of hunky guys!! So based on that I think it's fair to say I totally adored this book.

I had been feeling a bit 'meh' generally, physically/emotionally and this was better than any prescription. I smiled my way through it for the majority of the time, it was uplifting, take an every
Lynn Spencer
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
B- at AAR, so 3.5 stars Remember the heyday of chick lit (still wishing they could find a better term for it) 10-15 years ago? The combination of comedy, often with a dash of romance, and deeper emotion could be hard to pull off, but when it worked, it was such fun. Breakfast Under a Cornish Sun is a romantic comedy written in that vein and while it gets off to a rough start, readers who persevere past the first chapter will find themselves swept into a charming story.

As I warned above, that fir
Bernadette Robinson
My thanks to Samantha Tonge for a free e-book copy of this as a competition win. I had so much on my mind, that I didn't realise I already had a copy of this from the Publishers and NetGalley too. I would never have entered the competition if I'd realised.

Anyway I've digressed already. I had a copy of this from NetGalley and as such it's always in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the premise of the story, it was an easy light hearted read. I liked the characters and what's not to like when
Nicola Clough
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author and will not be the last a really good book and set in beautiful Cornwall. Kate needs to get away and forget her past so goes to Cornwall but just as she tries to forget her past she needs to reply to a so called friends wedding invite and she wants to take mr perfect with her so can she find him and also move forward or is this just impossible as to much to move forward with.
Frenchorchidea
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a pretty fun read, I quite enjoyed it but found the story a bit slow sometimes.... But the main character is lovely and fun. I could have given a 4 stars to this book but unfortunately I found the plot not enough developed and it was a bit "simple" to my taste. But I still I had a nice time reading it!
Jessica
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic! A sizzling hot summer read. Definitely a top read this summer. Perfect for relaxing in the sun with cocktails. Very bright and attractive cover too! Perfect!
Emma Crowley
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Cornwall seems to be the location of choice this year for a lot of chick lit books and alongside this seems to run the theme of a new start and trying to make a go of a business or rejuvenate it. This new book from Samantha Tonge Breakfast under a Cornish Sun has similar themes with the added bonus of our main female protagonist Kate Golightly searching for a date that she can bring to the wedding of a friend who she hasn't seen for years. I'll say straight away I did think I have read more or l ...more
Julia
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate needs a boyfriend and she needs one fast, unfortunately she is looking for a very specific sort of person, in short - he needs to be poldark! Her former best friend turned bully invites Kate to her wedding and she describes a mythical boyfriend she plans to bring along, the only problem is that now she needs to find someone to match what she's said so Kate sets off on a mission to find the perfect poldark boyfriend, but gets distracted along the way.

There are a few unexpected twists and tu
Angela Sandford
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Sitting here in the throes of winter, i yearned for some of that Cornish sunshine! Breakfast Under A Cornish Sun is a delightful feel good story. It’s a will they/won’t they get together kind of book....and just like all good romances? There’s always a happy ending!
Samantha Tonge is a very good writer - I love the light heartedness and feel good factor she gives. I love how she combines good food and drink to a story perfectly. I love how she can tackle subjects such as loss, and create positive
Lise
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a quick, fluffy, pretty happy read. There were a few errors but I still enjoyed the book. I liked the main characters and felt for what they had gone through but I do feel like the author missed the boat about PTSD. I think a little more research should have been done in regards to symptoms and treatment to make this more realistic, the same goes for grief counseling for the heroine of the story. But overall this was a light, enjoyable book.
Melissa Taylor
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A good holiday read

I probably would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't read Game of Scones first; I enjoyed that a lot and was expecting this book to be just as good. I was initially put off by the typos in the first part of the book but I'm glad I kept reading - it's often predictable but enjoyable and very easy to read.
Sarah Baines
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a very good easy read. Good fun and nothing taxing - just something good to lose yourself in. It's also made me want to move to Cornwall for some reason!! My only niggle with this book is that my copy was in dire need of a proofreader. Lots of missing/wrong words. This is my first book by Samantha Tonge but it certainly won't be the last.
Louise
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Did this book even have an editor look through it? Yikes... I found 4 grammatical/spelling mistakes.
Oh and the names.... cringe. Shirl. Pearl and Earl....
It could have been a good old cheesy chiclit, it has the usual feel good moments, but it just deserves 2 stars due to all its silly mistakes!
Liz
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this book. It's a light read based during a holiday and incorporating the love for food (you can blame the book if you find yourself munching in the middle of the night), and also a surviving resort.

The book is based in summer, and has a nice story around the romance.
Roberta
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book quite annoying. The main character seems really quite shallow, to start with anyway. Still, it whiled away a few hours.

• Wildflower Bay
  • Out of Eden (The McGraws, #1)
  • Our Summer Together
  • The Plumberry School of Comfort Food
  • Chaperones
  • The Second Cup (The Butterfly Effect, #1)
  • Looking For Ward
  • All The Colours In Between
  • Courting Trouble
  • The Rest of Me
  • Solomon's Tale
Samantha Tonge lives in Manchester UK with her husband and children. She studied German and French at university and has worked abroad, including a stint at Disneyland Paris. She has travelled widely.
When not writing she passes her days cycling, baking and drinking coffee. Samantha has sold many dozens of short stories to women’s magazines.
She is represented by the Darley Anderson literary agency