Start by marking “The Case of Dr Dude (Michaela McPherson #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of Dr Dude (Michaela McPherson #1)

The Case of Dr Dude

(Michaela McPherson #1)

Someone Is Kidnapping And Trafficking Women

When a young woman disappears after a job interview at a well-known dentist’s office in Richmond, Virginia, retired homicide detective Michaela McPherson and Angel her retired police dog are pulled into a crime that goes far beyond a missing person case. With the help of her close friend, the aging Countess Dorothy Borghase, and

Published February 17th 2016 by Bluestone Valley Publishing, Harrisonburg, VA (first published February 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of Dr Dude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of Dr Dude

Start your review of The Case of Dr Dude (Michaela McPherson #1)
Anna Maria
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Personally I quite enjoyed the book. I thought it was a bit slow at the beginning which got me bored, but after it turned out to be a good read. I was engaged and wanted to know what was going to happen next at all times. I gave this book 3 stars, because the start was long and parts of it were boring.
Rebecca
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 star

The title claims it's a mystery, but the only thing it has a chance of being is a thriller. Mostly I regret wasting time to finish it, but hate giving bad reviews without going through it all. The writing is sloppy. The POV is excessively unstable. An editor is badly needed--dialogue especially is a mess. And there is no mystery, because all the bad guy scenes give everything away. Finally, why did the girl never intentionally activate her bracelet to summon help? Stupid.
Laurie Hanan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pretty awful. So many typos, repetitive sentences, missing words, and other editing errors made it a chore to get through the book. What bothered me even more than all the typos what the constant jumping from one POV to another within the same scene. It made the story sometimes confusing to be in one character's head/thoughts and suddenly switch to another character with no warning. The plot and characters have potential, but it needs a lot of work.
Janice E. Ryberg
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terrific story w/exciting plot & great characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story.. Lots of action and great personalities, especially Angel. I'm trying not to spill any spoilers, but you'll kick yourself if you miss this one and probably the whole series! Enjoy this exciting book and see you 'round for the sequel!
Tina
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Human trafficking, a diabetic girls set to be sold to the highest bidder. The case of Dr Dude is a puzzling one. Almost all beautiful women who work for him end up going missing but they local poloce cant pin anything on him until michaela comes along and starts to work the case of missing Angela who desperately needs insulin!
Intruguing read to say the least 😊.
Book given free by author via voraciousreadersonly.
Elouise
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story with unfathomable twists and turns in it. Michaela McPherson had retired from the Richmond Police department at the age of 44 after spending 20 years in service as a detective. Not being one to sit around, she hung out her shingle as a private investigator. This story is about one of her cases. It involves a young girl who has gone missing. But that's not all it involves. It involves kidnapping but no ransom demands. It also involves the Russian Mafia, an 82 year old dowage ...more
Josette Thomas
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book showed the darkest crime of our time...human sex trafficking. I have always researched this topic because I feel so strongly that humans can be our own worst enemy. When one of the perps told another perp that selling humans is more lucrative than selling drugs, I wanted to scream at the person. How can we, as humans, be so cruel. Knowing there are people who will spend millions if not more to buy another human is so depraved that giving out a penalty is not enough. This author gave a ...more
Leanna
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had not read the works of this author before. I had high hopes that the unlikely trio of retired detective, countess and dog would be entertaining. I contemplated not finishing many times, but stuck with it because I cared about the characters. This book was in serious need of proofing. Missed words, grammatical errors, and typos were prevalent. Several details were stated one way then further on in the book stated another. Tilda wished she had curled her hair. A few hours later she was pullin ...more
J.E. Friend
This would be 3 1/2 stars but there wasn’t an option.

The story line and premise was interesting and I found myself caring about the characters. I did have some difficulty with some of the inconsistencies and repetitive information. I was a little confused when the author referred to Dr. Dude’s son as both Nicholas Jr and Mike Jr. I’m assuming it was an editing error.
There were too many contrite catch phrases such as ‘petal to the metal’. As a reader I would have preferred more interesting phra
Connie Carpenter
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this author! She always has a way of writing that will keep you guessing and YOU WILL NOT WANT TO PUT IT DOWN. Human Trafficking. Dr. Dude's girls always go missing - however they have not been able to pin it on him..... Michaela is retired from the police force and has opened an Irish Pub. Angel is her police dog. (also retired) Once Michaela is on the case --- will Angel and Michaela be able to crack the case? Well written characters - super suspenseful storyline. This book will take yo ...more
Lucinda Clarke
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A MODERN MISS MARPLE
Reading this reminded me of the Agatha Christie books and her elderly lady detective Miss Marple, only in this book, Mic the heroine has an 82 year old sidekick of royal decent. The characterisation was excellent and I enjoyed many of the descriptive passages, especially the character who goes mad (I won’t say for fear of a spoiler). I would not really class this as a medical thriller in the genre of Robin Cook, more a detective story. Rather predictable conclusion but all th
Sharon
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an exciting, fun-to-read mystery. Michaela retired from the police force and opened an Irish Pub. Angel is her retied police dog. Dottie is an actual Italian countess who loves to practice her sleuthing skills with Michaela. This story is full of action, kidnapping, and human trafficking. Just what you need in a thriller that keeps you guessing. Judith Lucci has done it again with a well-written book full of wonderful characters. I definitely recommend this book to mystery lovers.
Belinda Earl  Turner
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Dentist and the Disappearances

Dr. Nicholas Smirkowitz’s office has a high turn over amongst the office staff which strangely enough is all female. Even stranger is that after leaving his employ some women aren’t ever seen again!

When the granddaughter of one of Dottie Borghase’s old friends goes missing after an interview with the good doctor Michaela McPherson is asked to investigate! Will she find the missing girl and discover what is going on at the dentist’s office?
♥️✝️🐑✡️♥️
Pat Kahn
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
The 5 star reviews are unbelievable. I read halfway and then skimmed. The writing, plot, characters, all unbelievable and not even very interesting. I recognize that human trafficking is a serious problem but have a hard time accepting that anyone would pay a million dollars for a very pretty blond. Unfortunately I have bought the 2nd and 3rd book in the series for my Kindle but they are going to be deleted unread.
Aviar Savijon
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What begins to be a seemingly cozy mystery style tale explodes into a stunning multi jurisdictional investigation for disappearances and more. Riveting me to each page as so much activity and action happening to the very last page. While Michaela, Dottie and Angel do their best to find out the truth. A must Read. I Loved IT!!!!!!
Dan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good story

Russian mob, human trafficking, psycho killers, faithful dog, it's all included. Couple tense moment. I must also mention an unlikely hero. I can't reveal who it is, so you can be as surprised as I was. Oh yeah, don't forget Dottie, she's an octogenarian crime fight. Quite a bunch of heroes fighting a nasty bunch of bad guys.
 Kim Terry
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, Author Judith Lucci, you had me at “human trafficking”. With every page I turned, I was more convinced I was a goner for anything other that flipping the pages (or swiping the screen)! As one of my novels in progress is about human trafficking, I figured I could chalk the time I spent up to “research”. Great, suspenseful story! Brava!
Stefania Mattana
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An engaging and beautifully written thriller which kept me company during a 10hours intercontinental flight.
A real page turner which has a lot of elements typical of the successful mystery series.
Marlys
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given a kindle e book for a review. I found this book to be a fabulous read. An added bonus was a German Shepard as a character. I enjoyed the main character Michaela who is a retired police officer that purchased a bar and still solves crimes. I would like to read the rest of the series.
Aisha-Kimberly Hashmi
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I have reviewed also on amazon, but wanted or share with my friends here as well. give the book a 2 thumbs up!!!
Tony Parsons
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Allison Massie (Margaret’s granddaughter, VCU dental hygienist) had been abducted.
Dorothy “Dottie” Borghese (82, Michaela’s BFF, Italian Countess, former Olympic swimmer), was discussing her friends missing granddaughter with Michaela “Mic” McPherson (44, retired Detective Richmond PD homicide).
Margaret Massie (Beau’s wife. Dottie’s BFF) explained to Dottie that Allison went to Dr. Nicholas “Dr. Dude” Smirkowitz (50+, husband/father, dentist) office to apply for a job & vanished into thin air.
Sharon
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Michaela McPherson and her dog, Angel. Both retired from the police dept. Her friend Dottie is an interesting character. She is a Countess and loves to help solve mysteries. Dottie tells Mic about a young lady who is missing. She was last seen at a dentist's office where she went for an interview. This story is filled with action, adventure, suspense, excitment, twists and turns. The story is well thought out, well written, and flows nicely. Characters are fleshed out. Get a copy and com ...more
Paul
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Preeti Chauhan
This was the first book by Judith Lucci that I read and I must say , she has style and substance and imagination.

The first page itself hooks you up , when a young woman of aristocratic background suddenly disappears from the office of a flamboyant dentist to the celebrities.
Even though we get to know that the dentist is involved , Judith keeps the plot interesting.
The pace slackens a bit midway due to too many unnecessary details and yet it never is slow enough to let you put the book away.
I loo
Dawn
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dr Dude

The title put me off at first and I thought the book was going to be some comic knock off, but it took only about five pages and I was hooked! What an riveting read. The plot pulled me in and of course the characters are top notch. I should have never dismissed the book knowing Judith Lucci was the author. I will never judge any of her books by its title again! Thank you for the great book. I am reviewing this book voluntarily .
Dee
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder and Mayhem in this Gripping Mystery!

This book is fast paced with fascinating characters, great descriptions and a solid, smooth flowing plot. I didn't think I would like it as the main theme didn't appeal to me, however once I'd read the first couple of chapters I couldn't put it down. That is definitely the sign of a good book!
Elaine
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
A famous dentist who treats rich people is found to be a part of the Russian Mafia. His crimes are many but the worst is the human trade market of young girls that he is involved in. Lots of suspense as the story reveals who the villains are. Actually, it made me quite upset to think that this kidnapping of girls can still be going on.
J. Earp
Apr 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Needs an editor so badly

Gave up on this book in chapter two. Run-on sentences, contradictory descriptions of character emotions, dialogue from the 1940s. It’s just a mess. I liked the premise, but can’t get past the atrocious writing. This is a bestseller? Did they actually read it?
Suzi
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I look forward to reading the next book in this series!

I already have the next book in this series in my library. My first time reading this author and look forward to reading more of her books.
Zina Losey
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super! Suspenseful and exciting!

This is a great read! Was suspenseful, filled with human emotions and unanticipated twists! A real world problem addressed in a fictional setting bringing to light the plight of human trafficking. Definitely awaiting to read the next book!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Imposter (Alex Destephano)
  • Kicked the Bucket (Chelsea Lawson #3)
  • Farmer in the Dead (A Chelsea Lawson Cozy Mystery #2)
  • Murder a la Carte (Nikki Hunter Mysteries, #4)
  • Guilty
  • Blind Sight (Lucille Pfiffer #1)
  • Mooved to Murder (Chelsea Lawson #1)
  • Deuce Mora Mystery Series (Deuce Mora #1-3)
  • Partners In Crime (Hubbert & Lil #1)
  • Tear Down and Die (Cara Mia Delgatto Mystery, #1)
  • Who She Was: A Sylvia Wilcox Mystery
  • Mid-Century Modern Murder (Flamingo Realty Mystery #5)
  • Escape to Osprey Cove (The Osprey Cove Lodge Series, #1)
  • Christmas Family Style (Made in Savannah #15)
  • All Lies (Lies, #1)
  • Creek Crisis (Ollie Stratford Mystery #2)
  • Duplex Double Trouble (Flamingo Realty Mystery #4)
  • Discoveries at Osprey Cove (Osprey Cove Lodge #6)
Dr. Judith Lucci is an Amazon bestselling author who writes what she knows. She is the author of the Alex Destephano Medical Thriller Series and the soon to be released Michaela McPherson, Private Eye, a series centered on a retired homicide detective from Richmond, Virginia who really can’t retire.

“Before I wrote fiction, I was an academic writer who published research, theoretical works, text bo

Michaela McPherson (5 books)
  • The Case of the Dead Dowager (Michaela McPherson #2)
  • The Case of the Man Overboard (Michaela McPherson #3)
  • The Case of the Very Dead Lawyer (Michaela McPherson #4)
  • The Case of the Missing Parts (Michaela McPherson #5)

News & Interviews