Start by marking “Protector of the Flight (The Summoning #3)” as Want to Read:
Protector of the Flight (The Summoning #3)

Protector of the Flight (The Summoning #3)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,120 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
If horses could fly…then Calli Torcher might ride again. But a devastating accident left her in such pain she thought the chimes and chanting in her ears were a hallucination…until she found herself transported to another world, and met the Lladranans who had Summoned her.

Lladrana was a parallel, magical earth filled with exotic creatures, noble humans and enchantments al

Published January 23rd 2007 by Luna (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Protector of the Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protector of the Flight

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
124 books — 167 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashorePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Golden Dynasty by Kristen AshleyLord of the Fading Lands by C.L. WilsonWarprize by Elizabeth Vaughan
Epic Fantasy Romance
397 books — 714 voters

More lists with this book...

Deanna Roberts
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have decided that Robin D. Owens is truly a wonderful author. Each book I read of hers makes me exceedingly happy that I picked her up to begin with.

Her strong female characters are a delight, both in their strengths and in their weaknesses.

Romance, sci-fi fantasy... Luna has become my favorite publishing company. C.E. Murphy, Robin D. Owens, Maria V. Snyder among their most wonderful writers in my humble opinion.

Enjoy!
I really should not start with book 3 in a series. I'm waiting impatiently for books 1 & 2 to arrive from the library.
Aelvana
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Calli Torcher used to ride rodeo---until a bad fall broke her pelvis in three places and left her unable to compete. Now her dreams of having a ranch and training horses seems just shy of impossible. Then the Summons draws her to Lladrana, where she is to be the bridge between the Chevaliers and the Marshalls, as well as helping out the voltrans (flying horses). But it isn't always easy getting everything you ever wanted . . .

This is both better and worse than the first book. The main reason it'
Melissa
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yeah, while I may own the next two in the series already.....I'm not sure if I'm gonna read them.

First and foremost I cannot relate to this character. Her entire goal in life is to be loved: husband and kids. That is her motivation. And throughout the book almost everyone loves/likes her immediately. You know except that mean family on planet earth. They don't love her. So, yeah.

It took to a bit before the halfway part before she receives ANY training on her powers. Remember the other two book
Shannon
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
**1/2
This was my least favorite in this series
Book 1: Guardian Of Honor
Book 2: Sorceress Of Faith (The Summoning, #2)
Book 3: Protector of the Flight
Book 4: Keepers Of The Flame
Book 5: Echoes In The Dark
Calli seemed to change personality from the beginning of the book, and not necessarily for the better. She seemed to get mopey and wimpy by the end of the book. Marrec annoyed me as well. He seemed rather obsessed with status, and didn't seem to demonstrate much loving behavior. (view spoiler)
Rick Taubold
May 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
A lot of people seem to like this book and the series. I didn't like this at all. The writing is laborious and almost painful to plow through. On top of that, I found more than a few typos and grammar mistakes escaped the editor's notice. My wife gave up on it after 100 pages.

I found the characters shallow, and the main character is constantly down on herself and at times incredibly stupid in not believing she really is in a another realm that is not earth. After a while it becomes extremely tir
Min
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
I've been reading the series mostly because I really like the world of Lladrana (flying horses? you bet!). And I've mostly liked the main characters. I've not even minded too much when the big scary events seem to be glossed over and time skips ahead so we're spared the horribleness of it all (though it never seems to really be that horrible, after all). For some reason, though, I just didn't like this story very well. A lot happens, but none of it really sticks - it's almost as if the scope of ...more
zjakkelien
May 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-ebooks
So far, this is my least favourite Summoning book. Again, fantasy and romance. But in this one the level of macho-ness was a bit too high for me, particularly since it was so refreshingly lacking in the previous books. The lady summoned to Llandrana this time (Calli) is a rodeo rider and has to fix some things for the volarans, the flying horses. All the makings of a kick-ass heroine, you'd think, but instead the most important thing she and her new hubbie wish to achieve is to start a cute litt ...more
Autumn
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Autumn by: amazon.com
Shelves: favorites
Fantasy is not my usual choice but i found this series by accident on amazon and bought the first 3. I am so glad, because this series has enthralled me. It is well written and fast paced. This series is about magic, love, good and evil, faith, tollerance and community.
Read them all...you will not be disappointed.
This one is about Calli the next in a series of strong women to be brought to Lladrana to help battle the dark. Her place is with the flying horses and Chevaliers (riders). This story
Merrie Harris
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Of the series, so far this one is my absolute favorite. I took a Saturday and just read, stopping only for a couple necessary breaks and to add a few logs to the fire. Robin Owens knows how to captivate and engage a reader. I became so wrapped up in the book I had to finish the book before I could go to sleep. Unfortunately I haven't been able to read the next book in the series as it has been checked out every time I have visited the library since finishing this one. I rarely buy books as for t ...more
Slynne
Sep 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Not as good as the first book in the series, but a satisfying read none-the-less. The characters covered more territory in this book that in prior ones, but it felt like you didn't get to know them as well. Also, this is definitely a book that you would need to have read the prior books in the series to have a firm grasp of what was going on and why. Still, I liked it and eagerly await the rest of the books in the series.
Gardavson
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've liked this book the best so far in the series. I liked Calli, I liked her story. I liked the pair bonding aspect, it was a nice refreshing change as far as hook ups go. I didn't think I'd like Marrec as well as I did. He's more solemn and taciturn than I usually go for, but I liked how well he and Calli fit, and I liked her view on his solemn ways. Seeing things from the volaren pov was also fun. I'm definitely off to the next!
Cris
Unlike the first two entries in this series, it's not a standalone. Alexa and Marian have prominent roles in this book, at times overshadowing Calli's story. Despite its faults, I enjoyed Calli's story more than Marian's, but not as much as Alexa's.

I plan on reading the next book in the series. As soon as I get it thorough ILL.
Jessica
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, re-read, 2012
Not as good as the first book but good none the less. Her writing isn't amazing but I like the story. Sometimes the male interest bugs me but over all I liked the people over all. I liked Callie from the start actually but I feel like Owens could have done a better job exploring her. Good story and good characters, decent writing.
Sheena
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic-fantasy
Holly
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fantasy, other worlds, heroines, and flying horses
Shelves: favorites
Definitely my favorite so far--but then flying horses are a part of my soul, in a way. I really love the whole series. It's one that I start a book, and don't want to put it down. This one especially.
Jessica
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I read the first two of this series. Guardian of Honor and Sorceress of Faith.

Thinly veiled bodice ripper. Romance novel with a thin veneer of fantasy over the top. The concept and premise laid out in the first book could've been developed much better I think.
Kerry
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, 7, fantasy
This took a long time to really get going and I found the section where Calli first arrived to be a bit by the numbers. Once she and Marrec started disagreeing the story started moving much better and the final section was excellent.

[Copied across from Library Thing; 22 September 2013]
Shelves: fantasy
A fun read.
Sheyl
Jun 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all women
A strong woman protagonist faces unusual challenges in this scifi/fantasy setting. I always enjoy a story of a strong woman, and this tale made me smile. I like Owens style.
Kris Hasenfratz Ten-Eyck
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I can say is WOW!

The last few chapters - totally unexpected and totally cool.
Erotic Horizon
Protector of the Flight (The Summoning, Book 3) by Robin D. Owens (2007)
Jess
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent one in the series! This one is a little slow in parts, but it's still a great read!
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
#3 in The Summoning series; more danger, greater risks and excitement as another woman from Earth is requested to help save this other world.
Lynn
Jan 07, 2010 added it
ereader ebook
Anja
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was good, however kind of dragged in the middle.
Lora Cherry
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I started the series with book 3, loved it and read all the others
Craig
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Not as clean as the other too and it was a little too simplistic. Too many woe as me moments that detracted from the story.
pauliree
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014, romance
My least favourite of this series. Couldn't connect with the characters at all. The heroine bonds into a you-will-die-if-I-do with the hero right at the start so there was no tension at all. Bleh
  • Shattered Dance
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • The Mage (Sons of Destiny, #8)
  • Rhiana (Changelings, #3)
  • Spellweaver (Nine Kingdoms #5)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • The Reawakened (Aspect of Crow, #3)

The Summoning (5 books)
  • Guardian of Honor (The Summoning #1)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • Keepers of the Flame (The Summoning #4)
  • Echoes in the Dark (The Summoning #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99