Start by marking “Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design” as Want to Read:
Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design

Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design

Never has it been more and more essential to work in the world of data. Scholars and students need to be able to analyze, design and curate information into useful tools of communication, insight and understanding. This book is the starting point in learning the process and skills of data visualization, teaching the concepts and skills of how to present data and inspiring ...more
Published August 15th 2016 by Sage Publications Ltd (first published June 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Data Visualisation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Data Visualisation

Start your review of Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design
Roel Peters
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't know one could write 340 pages about data visualisation, without using too much graphs throughout the book. Although the book contains a lot of fluff, it does a pretty decent job in structuring the data visualisation process and the types of visualisations. Especially the mini-encyclopedia in the middle is pretty useful for reference purposes. Nevertheless, and I repeat, a lot of text for something that could be summerized on a dozen of pages. ...more
David
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
There is a lot of good information in here but I think Storytelling With Data is a more easily digestible.
Paul Laughlin
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This month I read Andy Kirk’s absorbing Data Visualisation 2, or to give it its proper title “Data Visualisation” 2nd Edition.

The subtitle for this book is ‘A Handbook for Data-Driven Design‘, that hints at how this is packed with advice. Although the paperwork version is a comfortable weight it is astonishing how much it contains. This really is a guide for practitioners and one they will want to refer back to.

Comparing this book with two other Data Visualisation books that I’ve previously revi
Danielle
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After learning about data visualization this semester, it's unsurprising to me that the data visualization textbooks were some of the best textbooks I've ever had. Concise, visually appealing, easy to understand. Would honestly recommend to anyone who has to make data visualizations at work or who just wants to further their appreciation of data visualizations.

Read for LIS 707: Data Visualization and Communication for Decision Making
Moritz Stefaner
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: data-vis-favs
Great overview of what makes successful data visualizations work. Love the depth and nuance! Especially the process and principles should be very helpful for beginners.
Joe Moya
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impressive Organization and Information.

Among all the books I have read regarding Infographics and data presentation/design, this one provides the best mix of details and general overview.; not too much, not too little. I highly recommend.
Peeravich Paoprayoon
A handbook with exhaustive examples of beautiful visuals.
I found most visuals shown are, to say, modern. They are not quite suitable for orthodox business reporting which I am in. I feel that researchers, journalists or bloggers working with big data will find this book very useful.
Larry Burks
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Nice to find a book about data visualization from a design concept and process perspective, vs what tools to create your visualization in. Perfect for my needs.
Sarad
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goog
Barbara
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely a pleasure to read this book. Excellent!
Ryan
rated it did not like it
Nov 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
  • How Charts Lie: Getting Smarter about Visual Information
  • The Visual Display of Quantitative Information
  • Good Charts: The HBR Guide to Making Smarter, More Persuasive Data Visualizations
  • Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • A Children's Bible
  • Congo. Een geschiedenis
  • Het internet is stuk
  • Het bestverkochte boek ooit (met deze titel): Hoe cijfers ons leiden, verleiden en misleiden
  • Het recht van de snelste
  • Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication
  • Thinking in Systems: A Primer
  • White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide
  • The Myth of Race: The Troubling Persistence of an Unscientific Idea
  • Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Thumbs, Beasts & Thieves is Andy Kirk's first book in a trilogy about Fee and the world of Blessaeb. Making up tall stories for clients who own international brands has been an excellent apprenticeship for him, selling everything from chocolate biscuits and tea, to beer and mayonnaise. His ideas come from the places he visits and the fantastical things that he sees in nature, real life and from hi ...more

News & Interviews