Start by marking “Sand and Foam” as Want to Read:
Sand and Foam

Sand and Foam

A book of aphorisms, poems, and parables by the author of "The Prophet" - a philosopher at his window commenting on the scene passing below.
Hardcover, Kahlil Gibran Pocket Library, 100 pages
Published June 14th 2011 by Knopf (first published 1914)

Start your review of Sand and Foam
Paul E. Morph
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I bought this book (don't worry; I didn't pay much for it) under the impression it was a collection of poetry. It is not. I know, I know... I should have looked into it more. #researchfail

What it actually is is a collection of... how shall I put this?... pieces of personal philosophy. Or, slightly less generously but far more honestly, a seemingly unending string of trite platitudes.

I buddy read this with my wife and her reaction was 'Oh my god I feel like I've just read a thousand refrigerator
Lynne King
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this exquisite gem of a book last night. There are only eighty-five pages of aphorisms, poems and parables but when I finished it I breathed a sigh of expectancy and felt that I had read a huge novel. What a wonderful experience.

Gibran has a depth to him that I find quite unsurpassed. I felt as though his words had entered my very soul.

Some examples:

If your heart is a volcano how shall you expect flowers to bloom in your hands?

He who can put his finger upon that which divides good from ev
Shahad takleef
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I AM FOREVER walking upon these shores,
Betwixt the sand and the foam,
The high tide will erase my foot-prints,
And the wind will blow away the foam.
But the sea and the shore will remain
Forever.

this book is one of my first favorites , its one of these books i lost count on how many times I've read , Gibran himself was one of my first favorite writers , he even may have been the first , i read all his books , everyone of his works (Arabic versions) when i was in highschool , and though i loved a
Mohit Parikh
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
If I were a little younger, a little more naive, a little less weighed down by my worldly wisdom (which isn't much), I would have caught hold of every person I care about and read the aphorisms aloud.
I would have made them taste the beauty and the truth the musings are dipped in. I would have beseech-ed them to open their hearts, to let the powerful words seep into their souls. I would have asked them to read a quote, one at a time, and wonder like a child while summoning all their life's exper
Michael
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gibran's ability to encapsulate a profound concept in two or three lines is incredible.

There's so much to think about on every page of this small book that it will require multiple readings to really appreciate what he's saying. That's not to say that he's obscure, because he's certainly not, he's mostly cuttingly precise and clear. It's that his message is, like most great teachers, a challenging one that for most of us (certainly me) would take a massive change of character and life-style to r
Srividya
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that you can read really quickly and finish it and there are some that you need to chew and devour, bit by bit. The beauty of the second type of books is that it gets better with every reading and it is something that you never get tired of reading, again and again. Moreover, these are books that offer different interpretations, each time you read them, depending on what you are feeling and how you want to think.

I was accidentally introduced to one such book recently, Sand a
Malak Alrashed
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I read this one a long time ago -the one translated to Arabic- at that time it didn't make any sense to me! It just made me think that Gibran is some sort of a crazy man who knew how to write thousands of meaningless poems!

Recently, I had this strange desire to read something for Gibran, so I took this book and started reading it again and GOD I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN! The only difference this time was that I have taken the original one written in English. Yeah, translation can be really bad somet
Mεδ Rεδħα
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Sand and foam" is the kind of book that we like to keep close to ourselves and reopen regularly when life is harder, to simply draw, at random, the sweet secrets it contains and s to water at the source of simple and true words, spontaneous and sincere poetic thoughts, adages carrying wisdom and humility.

322 aphorisms that speak to the heart as well as to the spirit, by which the great poet of Lebanese origin Khalil Gibran (1883-1931) gives us the intimate part of his being, the deep conviction
Shefalika
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every expression I have imbibed with my heart I must levitate with my consciousness.
Sunny
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have to admit I really like this. Khalil is a classic philosopher / Islamic poet and some of the insights his poetry like words weave is stunning. A short book of some of his sayings:
• “when life doesn’t find a singer to sing her heart she produced a philosopher to speak her mind”
• “Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky. We fell them down and turn them into paper that we may record our emptiness.”
• “All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of our minds”
• “We live o
Ben
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: human beings
You know that moment when you are reading a book and you stumble upon that magical line. You read it and you re-read it. You let it sink, savor it, and then you let out a sigh of gratification and you internally thank the author for the blissful moment when he wrote that line. Well, this book is full of those moments. In fact, this whole book is magical. I thought I had known Gibran after reading a few books of his, but I was mistaken. It would take a thousand page to capture one squint of his e ...more
Sharakael
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Unlike The Prophet which was more like a collection of essays, this one is a collection of prose. Thoughtful and thought-provoking, the things inside rang true even in today's era, offering glimpses into the genius behind the pen.

One of my favourite reading since highschool.
Mijanur Rahman
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry or Philosophy with poetic beauty? I guess second fits the best. The same old Kahlil Gibran who speaks as The Prophet , or as The Madman and he speaks in same old fashion, with utmost beauty.

1. I had a second birth when my soul and my body loved one another and were married.

2. Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it, but it divides us from truth.
Shadin Pranto
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that can shake your personal philosophy!
N R Niloy
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
“A work of art is a mist carved into an image.”
this is the third time I read this one, and it feels I am opening myself up to something new.
Dipkamal
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kahlil-gibran, poetry
A collection of poems, proses, and parables from Kahlil Gibran. If you read and think for a while what those words reflect, this book will feel precious else those sentences preaching love, wisdom, sanity are meaningless.
Sidharth Vardhan
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bestest, poems, asia

“We often sing lullabyes to our children that we ourselves may sleep.”

This is the best of Kahlil Gibran I have rad this far. The aphorisms and parables are simply beautiful. It is difficult to chose a sample.

“A pearl is a temple built around a grain of sand.
What longing built our bodies and around what grains?”

Only once I have been made mute. It was when a man asked me, “Who are you?”
Yes, you read this quote on Jiran’s profile page.

“The voice of life in me cannot reach the ear of life in yo
Farid Kooti
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the only way to describe how this book makes me feel. When I open the cover I am hit with Gibran's beautiful aphorisms which run through my body like electricity. With each reading the book changes. Some will explode out of the page one time and the next hide in the shadows. Some that I carry with me always are:

~Rememberance is a form of meeting.

~Forgetfulness is a form of freedom.

~How can I lose faith in the justice of life, when the dreams of those who sleep upon feathers are not more beautifu
Farzana Tisha
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good book indeed. Loved each and every line from the book.

"Generosity is not in giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is in giving me that which you need more than I do."
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.

A soppy sentence bukakke.

If you like it sweet, this one's for you.

I dig me some salt, so this was just an ok read.
Salma Hesham
"when my cup is empty i resign myself to its emptiness; but when it's half full i resent its half-fullness"

"the bitterest thing in our today's sorrow is the memory of our yesterday's joy"

"a shy failure is nobler than an immodest success"
Dana Jerman
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What’s not to love about Gilbran. There is something for everyone here. Aphorisms and quotes, themed by page. Also a wonderful trove of writings prompts from a poet for the poet! A simple and thin volume packed with heart and truth and song.
Jimmy Ele
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, one of the deepest books I have ever read.
Richale Cabauatan
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: looking-for
I finished this book in one night. I just couldn't put it down. Kahlil Gibran's way of using simple words to voice out his profound thoughts made me feel as if he was also voicing mine.
Nelly
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book, like the others of Gibran.
Leena Dbouk
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Some thoughts were a bit contradictory but overall it was lovely.
Elias Abo Sine
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It shares some similarity to his later work " The Wanderer " but this is collection of parables and differently Sand & Foam is a collection of proverbs that Gibran had made by his own magical writing style .

As I wrote previously in " The Wanderer " it is very good to travel and filling your free time with free meaningful wisdom.

As he said in the introduction of this book that this book is an extraction of his experiences during his ( short ) life on earth and what he learned from people from hi
ZaRi
Seven times have I despised my soul:
The first time when I saw her being meek that she might attain height.
The second time when I saw her limping before the crippled.
The third time when she was given to choose between the hard and the easy, and she chose the easy.
The fourth time when she committed a wrong, and comforted herself that others also commit wrong.
The fifth time when she forbore for weakness, and attributed her patience to strength.
The sixth time when she despised the ugliness of a face
Annsley Roberts

• Maese Zacarias
  • Un mariage à Lyon
  • Rahel Rechtet Mit Gott. Legenden
  • إني المشنوق أعلاه
  • الأجنحة المتكسرة (Arabic Edition)
  • الشيء الآخر
  • Lavinia: Aşk Şiirleri
  • الكتابة في لحظة عري
  • ألف وجه للقمر
  • مذكرات الأرقش
  • Üvercinka
Kahlil Gibran (Arabic: جبران خليل جبران ) was a Lebanese-American artist, poet, and writer.
Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of Ottoman Mount Lebanon), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. In the Arab world, Gibran is regarded as a literary and political rebel. His romantic style was at t