Start by marking “Seven Wild Sisters (Newford, #19)” as Want to Read:
Seven Wild Sisters (Newford, #19)

Seven Wild Sisters

(Newford #19)

Seven Wild Sisters is a publishing event, a short novel by one of today's finest fantasy writers, Charles de Lint, profusely illustrated by the legendary Charles Vess.

Together, they have created a modern fairy tale about seven sisters growing up in backwoods hill country, and how one of them finds a mystery in the forest that both endangers and could save them all.
Published May 1st 2002 by Subterranean Press

Leah
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm a bit like Sarah Jane Dillard in that I too "like to know the long history of a thing, not just where and what it might be now...(44-45)" because, having first read The Cats of Tanglewood Forest, I felt more connected to the tale of Seven Wild Sisters than its prequel/companion novel.

What I loved most, about both books, was the relationship between women, especially a young female with her elderly counterpart. That tradition of the two living close together, and the old telling stories to the you
Loren
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Mart lent me this book back when we were talking about modern fairy tales. I loved the sense that fairy creatures had adapted or always existed in the hills and hollers, becoming bee fairies and sangmen rather than Sidhe and the Wild Hunt. But the story raised expectations that the Father of Cats -- or native panther -- might appear. While he was invoked, the story dodged around him. I was disappointed.

I also felt that for a book that's only 150 pages, it wasn't necessary to waste 40
La Coccinelle
A few years ago, over a number of years, I read more than a few of Charles de Lint's books. While I quite like some of his adult novels -- Trader and Yarrow are a couple of my favourites -- I've had mixed results with his books for younger readers. The Blue Girl was good. Dingo... not so much. And then there's Seven Wild Sisters... which again fell a bit short. It's listed as a Newford book on Goodreads, but all that really means is that it takes place in de Lint's fictional city and surrounding areas. From what I can tell, this ...more
Melanti
I originally read this a couple of years ago in the original Subterranean Press release. When it came up as a group read this month, I noticed that the new middle grade version is around 100 pages longer and decided to compare the two editions to see where the differences lay.

First, I've got to say that Vess's artwork - both the old art that now is colorized and the brand new art - is as gorgeous as usual.

In terms of the text, I was expecting to see at least a little new content but
Hannah
This book had all the characteristics that I loved in its predecessor, The Cats of Tanglewood Forest: a homey, folkloric atmosphere, a charming and skilled writing style, and distinct and memorable characters. The storyline is simple, but by no means boring, and the richness of de Lint's words and Vess's drawings pair together perfectly to create an immersive experience. I will be seeking out much more work by each of them in the future, and I can certainly see myself returning to this duology i ...more
Sarah Lu
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Charles de Lint delivers on a wonderful story. Add in the illustrations of Charles Vess, and this quick read is quite enthralling.
Brian
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A bit more YA than de Lint's usual Newford books, but still an enjoyable read. 7 red-headed sisters get involved (by accident) in a war between Bee Fairies and Ginseng Fairies. Everything works out.
Becky
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014reviews
Seven Wild Sisters is a charming fantasy novel set in the modern world. The novel begins by focusing on the middle daughter, Sarah Jane, but by the end of the novel, all seven sisters have played a role in this delightful fairy fantasy adventure. The story begins, well, one could choose a dozen different "real" beginnings for this one, so I'll merely say the STORY FOR SARAH JANE begins when she befriends "Aunt Lillian." Aunt Lillian lives alone, secluded, near the woods. No electricity, no runni ...more
Kristen
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was going through my personal wish list on Amazon (versus the library list that I keep on there), and thought that I should see if the library had it or not. Hey, they did. (Obviously) It's CdL, so I knew I'd enjoy it. I've read nearly all of his books (and own about three-quarters of them) It's relatively short, just under 150 pages, which include a few with art from Charles Vess, and while the story could easily be fleshed out to be a full-length novel, it fits perfectly with its length. It' ...more
Nilsson
I like big families, because they're really fun to talk to and play with. My family is boring, because there are only four kids in it. Too bad the author didn't really make them talk to each other that much, and just said what they liked to do. Their family sounded really interesting, I hope someday he writes a book about what they really act like. He doesn't even have to bother with the magic part if he wants, even though I like that part too. But I'm really interested about what their family d ...more
Tasha Robinson
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Sweet, simple, and with beautiful Charles Vess illustrations. The last act felt pretty rushed, as though this was planned as a longer book, and I could have used more of an idea of why L'il Pater helped the characters, and what he got out of it in a world that seemed to be otherwise pretty self-absorbed. (And he's a cat. Cats aren't exactly known for their altruistic nature.) This feels a bit like the opening chapters to a longer DeLint novel, but it's enjoyable for what it is.
Steph Myers
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, kids
The images were what caught my attention and had me checking out this book. Unfortunately, despite sweet graphics that are very retro, the story fell flat. It felt like a whole lot of detail was left out. I'm guessing the book was targeted to 5th graders (ish) and that it has been awhile since the author was around young readers. Could have been a great story, but there was no world-building which is kind of crucial for fantasy fiction.
Margaret
Very fun, very quick read about sisters and their visit to fairy land. I loved the voice, the characters, and really just about everything.
Betsy
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With the beauty of its storytelling, art, characters, and setting, it truly is a hard place to leave.
Tamra
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Nerd Shenanigans
A nature lover's and folklore enthusiast's dream story. This is a short delightful book that is perfect for a summer afternoon. The artwork is stunning! Charles Vess's work holds a special place in my heart. The storytelling is as wonderful as you would expect from Charles De Lint.
Seven gloriously red haired sisters live in the country in the Applachian part of Virginia. They're all very different from each other but deeply close knit. One of the middle daughters, Sarah Jane, develops a connect
JV Austen
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a big fairy war fan and was reluctant to start this. Once in I couldn't put it down. The seven sisters are engaging, Lillian (from Tanglewood Cats) is a major character and the Apple Tree Man is wise in all but love apparently. Until I put these into Goodreads, I didn't realize there were so many set in the same area. Not sure how I managed to come into the middle of a series. If I'd read this book before TC, it would have given me the outcome of that book and it would have lost some of ...more
Pubudini Jayakody
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Who thought fairies are evil? Watching the Disney films made me believe that fairies are pretty and kind hearted; even there were evil step mothers. However the fairies I had imagined were so different from the fairies I met in the book. Apple tree man, Li'l Pater were so unimaginable . Altogether I loved the story and the graphics.
So who is there to say fairies don't exist ? Maybe, anything is possible💛
Cakester
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book after The Cats of Tanglewood Forest and found it to be the same enjoyable type of story, just continued. I would be willing to read more in this vein. The story was interesting and could easily be accessible for a younger reader, but still enjoyable for an adult.
Marlee
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story with lovely characters. We had not read any other stories about this world before this. I’m not sure if that made a difference in our experience. Either way, my daughter and I enjoyed it. A great read.
Kate
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2018
While I enjoyed Seven Wild Sisters, the book is really about just one of the sisters; Sarah Jane. This is understandable given how short the book is, but I would rather have seen fewer sisters more fully drawn, instead of just lightly sketched.
Megan
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this one. I would like to read other works by de Lint. I was intrigued by the characters. It seemed too simple at times or maybe too quickly resolved.
Daniel Cooksey
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the imagination of this book and the characters, although it was hard to keep the sisters straight.
Sue
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read aloud bedtime book. Another greatly imaginative fairytale story. When sisters stray into the deep dark woods strange, dangerous and wonderful things can happen.
Lisa
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this one by chance, among the remainder books at Dollar Tree. Hard cover Charles de Lint for a buck? Yes please.

Charming modern fairy tale with beautiful illustrations.
Karen
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was described as a 'modern fairy tale'. It isn't. What it is, is clunky and convoluted.
Carol
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful!
Harley Bennett
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Companion to The Cats of Tanglewood Forest. Worthwhile read.
Basia
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An awesome and beautiful story full of sisters and fantasy. And the illustrations were beautiful!
Emma McIntosh
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this world and this wild family, there are 7 kids in my family so reading this I whizzed back to our wild bush life, fairies galore, a glorious homage to indigenous folk tales.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Separating an expanded edition 16 135 Nov 17, 2017 11:18AM
Into the Forest: Seven Wild Sisters spoilers 48 42 Jul 19, 2016 08:00AM
Into the Forest: Seven Wild Sisters no spoilers 20 30 Jul 15, 2016 03:57PM

• Ill Met in Lakhmar/The Fair in Emain Macha
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • The Girl Who Married the Moon: Tales from Native North America
  • Spirits That Walk in Shadow (Chapel Hollow, #3)
  • Except the Queen
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #7)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #8)
  • Hannah's Garden
  • The Kingdom Under the Sea and Other Stories
  • Faerie Tales
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #4)
  • Singer of Souls (Singer of Souls, #1)
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)
  • The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still
  • Dusssie
Charles de Lint is the much beloved author of more than seventy adult, young adult, and children's books. Renowned as one of the trailblazers of the modern fantasy genre, he is the recipient of the World Fantasy, Aurora, Sunburst, and White Pine awards, among others. Modern Library's Top 100 Books of the 20th Century poll, conducted by Random House and voted on by readers, put eight of de Lint's b ...more

Newford (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1)
  • Memory and Dream (Newford, #2)
  • The Ivory and the Horn (Newford, #3)
  • Trader (Newford, #4)
  • Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #5)
  • Moonlight and Vines (Newford, #6)
  • Forests of the Heart (Newford, #7)
  • The Onion Girl (Newford, #8)
  • Tapping the Dream Tree (Newford, #9)
  • Spirits in the Wires (Newford, #10)