Start by marking “Unbound” as Want to Read:
Unbound

Unbound

(The Dresden Files #15.6 - Jury Duty)

Not bound, as a book. Free.

Like Unfettered before it, the contributing writers of Unbound were allowed to submit the tales they wished fans of genre to read—without the constraints of a shackling theme.

The result is magical. Twenty-three all-original stories are sure to captivate you—some will move you to tears while others will keep you turning the pages long into the
Published February 16th 2016 by Grim Oak Press (first published December 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Unbound, please sign up.
Michael It does, but it's in an anthology. It doesn't yet exist as a standalone book. I'll make it available "by iteself, at some point.

Start your review of Unbound
Rizwan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every Dresden fan
“You know who I am. You know what I can do. Let her go.”

She rolled her eyes, and spun a finger through fine, straight black hair. “Why should I?”

“Because you know what happened the last time some vampires abducted a little girl and I decided to take her back.”

Her smile faltered slightly. As it should have. When bloodsucking Red Court vampires had taken my daughter, I took her back—and murdered every single one of them in the process. The entire species.

I’m not a halfway kind of person.

Wow, that
Terence
Unbound is a collection of short stories from various authors in the fantasy genre. Overall this is a good collection. The only thing I would have liked to see is at minimum a paragraph talking about what world these stories appear in because it's not clear where a reader should go if he or she wanted to read more about the characters and their world.

I reviewed these stories not in the order they appear, but in the order I chose to read them. I didn't review all the short stories, these are just
Gehayi
Dec 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Almost everyone else seems to have adored this anthology. So I'm afraid that I'm going to be in the minority here.

Only one story ("Jury Duty" by Jim Butcher, which involved preventing an innocent man from going to prison and saving a child's life) really pleased me. That story I would give 4.5 stars.

Everything else, with the exception of one other story, involved the heroes trying to accomplish something and failing, losing (or, in some cases, failing to gain) power, freedom, sanity, their worl
Ron
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, anthology
“The world conspires to take everything from us in the end.”

Like most anthologies the junk outweighs the jewels, but in this case the good stories are very good: worth the price of the whole collection. I’ll ignore the garbage and review the gems. If there’s a theme to this collection, other than raising money for authors with medical bills, is that these are stories about story.

“To cling to common wisdom, no matter the evidence right in front of one’s nose, was an affliction as old as love.”

By
Evan
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I struggle to see how a compendium can be given 5 stars, as there is always going to be variability in quality of short stories. I found this a long read, because it is hard to motivate to finish the crappier stories and sometimes hard to motivate beginning a new story in case it isn't very good. And then I'd find a good story and finish it in no time at all.

I'll review the 5-star stories; the whose authors I now want to read:

Stories are Gods, Peter Orullian - 5 stars - The main story focused on
T.O. Munro
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An assemblage of short stories liberated from the imaginations of great story tellers

Perhaps it s a product of the busy age we live in that short story anthologies have become more appealing to my taste than before. Bite sized fiction for a world driven by sound-bites, and there are plenty of bites of different kinds in this riveting collection which Shawn Speakman has edited.

Some of the authors I already knew and had read, others are names glimpsed on social media. Some of the stories have roo
Adam Fisher
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
NOTE: Only read "Jury Duty" by Jim Butcher.

Another short story in the Dresden Files. This one shows that magic is so much a part of everyday life for Harry, that it even plays a role when summoned for Jury Duty. The story is simple: Harry gets called to serve, the trial has some inconsistency, he decides to investigate, finds that supernatural elements are involved (this case: White Court), and the case gets dismissed. Simple and straightforward. Very good read nonetheless.
Recommend.
Matt Braymiller
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I reviewed Unfettered, which is the first volume of this series of short stories, I think I mentioned that I came across this book from an entry in the blogs of David Anthony Durham and Jason Hough. Both are authors whose novels I have enjoyed a great deal, and both have a story in this particular volume.

One of the problems with anthologies like Rogues or Crucified Dreams is that the stories are all of the same bent. After a while they tend to blur together and I can't remember what disting
Marc Taylor
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing collection of short stories, each of them kept me engaged and entertained. Listening to this as an audiobook, I didn't get the opportunity to just bounce from story-to-story and am I glad of that. I was "forced" to listen to stories I might have otherwise just skipped.

I won't take the time to review each story, that has been done many times already, but I will say that I LOVED the following:
The Siege of Tilpur by Brian McClellan - I've been very hesitant to jump into the
Tom
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much like Blackguards this anthology hit the right note for me, with a wide variety of stories by a huge amount of very talented authors. There wasn't a story I didn't like amongst the lot really, the one thing I love about anthologies is finding a new author or authors on the basis of reading small amounts of work by them. Also when my minds is distracted or wondering only having to think from one story to the next as opposed to a whole plotline is excellent.

In short I highly recommend this an
Krista D.
As with most anthologies, I liked some, didn't like others, pretty average about the rest. This one was more depressing than I'd like, but I know that's a selling point for many people. I just think I'm done with nihilism in my fantasy, at least for a goodly while.

The writing caliber of the stories is excellent, though. So while many just weren't my thing, it's a great anthology to see if you like the style of certain very popular writers. That's a great bonus for this package.
Elise
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
When an NPC from a popular and advanced MMORPG seems to gain sentience, things become complicated. Technology gaining sentience has been done before, but the setting here is unique as well as the questions of how we define existence. Cool story.
Mimi
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The only story I read was "Jury Duty" by Jim Butcher and it had his trademark dry wit. The supernatural elements blended in well with the rest of the story. Harry Dresden to the rescue (again)!!! A fun read.
R.k. Modena
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got it for Jim Butcher;

As said, got it for Jim Butcher. Rest was ok; readable; maybe a handful I enjoyed. Some stories weren't to my taste but that is expected in anthologies. One story stood out in the 'want to murder the supposed protagonist' sense but just that one.
Glenn Curry
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short Stories are great. not committed to any stretch and can move on. Lots of great ones in here.
Shannon
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was pretty neat. I liked some more than others, but I thought the variety was great, and I was introduced to some authors I'd like to read more of. Worth the read!
Jaime O'Connell
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here's a run-down of my experiences with this book:

“Madwalls” by Rachel Caine
I usually prefer familiar settings and characters and for that reason short stories aren't my cup of tea. In this case, however, I knew about 3 minutes into this story that I would like it. It sucks you in quickly and stays engaging and intriguing through the very end. A true original!

“Stories Are Gods” by Peter Orullian
This is apparently part of a pre-existing universe. Nothing in the story pulled me in or interested m
Graham Dauncey
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing collection by quite a well respected set of fantasy and sci-fi authors. If nothing else the cause that this collection supports is worth some attention (helping pay for medical care for authors).

As with any collection there will always be some variability in the quality of the stories but there were no true stinkers in here - I found them all to be worth a read even if some were more engaging than others. The stand outs for me were generally the ones that took place in worlds I wa
Ellen
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love these compilations of many stories to introduce you to an author you might not have heard of. The story Filter was fantastic! Haven't read anything similar so going to see if it's a series with the same characters. Made me chuckle. The last story by Shawn Speakman was great as well. Will be looking into more of his work. Jim Butcher is amazing of course and it was nice to see Harry again. I read all 3 of The Unfettered books of short stories by Shawn Speakman so the only criticism I have ...more
Boostamonte Halvorsen
3 stars (avg)

I would say that every story in here was about 3 stars, there were a couple 2 star ones--mainly that I haven't read the worlds the stories come from (so I was missing a lot of backstory) -- and then there were a couple 4 star stories as well. No 5 star stories, IMO, and that was weird for me. But at the end of the day, I liked it. So there.
Charl
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
An excellent collection of stories, covering a wide range of style and genre. There's usually one or two stories in any anthology collection that I don't finish, but I read every one of these. Very enjoyable!
Paul
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A strong collection, a lot however are buried in series so generally need a knowledge f them. Not a bad thing as it will give a taster of larger story arcs or fans a filler .
Todd
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This collection has some great and a number of good stories. There are some that read as if they are fragments from a longer work - hopefully they are or will serve as such for the authors.
Patrick
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Jury Duty by Jim Butcher - Fun read. Short read. Could be a decent intro to the series, but maybe not. It wouldn't be good for convincing people to read the first book.
Eric Binfet
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
So as with Unfettered before this there were stories that were good and there were stories that were not so good. That’s to be expected with anthologies with very few exceptions (I’m looking at you Stephen King). Instead of giving thoughts about each story, I’ll pick out some good and some bad.
The good: The Farmboy Prince, The Game, Small Kindnesses, The Siege of Tilpur, A Dichotomy of Paradigms
The bad: Uncharming, Fiber, The Way into Oblivion, The Hall of The Diamond Queen

I’ll try to make thes
Charles F. Bond
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine line up of authors in this brilliant book. Well written and entertaining.
Llaph
As usual awesome--I'm half tempted to read every book again--for the million time. I loved seeing the turns this story took. I thinkButcher is good @ short stories--I've enjoyed everyone I've read.
Kristen
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
(Audiobook Review)

This one was surprising in that I actually liked almost every story in it. Some of them were slower than others, but I didn't outright dislike any, which is rare for an anthology that has more than 5 stories in it.

My Favorites:

Rachel Caine - Madwalls - This. Story. Was. Amazeballs. I didn't dig the narrator (in fact I'm not at all a fan of Allyson Johnson as a narrator... so... this audiobook was less awesome for that since she narrates goddamn nearly a third of it.) Anyway, R
Wulf Krueger
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another short story by Michael which he published separately as part of one of his Kickstarter campaigns.

It’s about Troth, a previously minor Non-Player Character (NPC), who “lives” in a Massively Multi-player Role Playing Game (MMORPG) and suddenly develops sentience.

The premise is interesting and the story well-told (how could it not be, it’s a Sullivan!). It’s just that it’s a bit... short. Given that this is a short story, well, I guess I’ll let it slide... ;-)

Recommended to anyon
Tawnya Ashley
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, anthology
Actual 3.3, but so many really great stories.

Madwalls
4 stars-love story, but not a gag me one

Stories Are Gods
3 stars-confusing in parts, but still good

River and Echo
4 stars-nice, but no resolution at all

A Dichotomy of Paradigms
3 stars-OK, but the best character was at the end. Wanted it to last longer. Ending unexpected.

An Unfortunate Influx of Filipians

Goodreads Librari...: Book series number is incorrect 2 8 Dec 03, 2016 04:16AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book not showing in the series 3 15 Nov 01, 2016 09:48PM

• Shadowed Souls
  • Naked City
  • Working for Bigfoot (The Dresden Files, #15.5)
  • Hex Appeal
  • Dangerous Women
  • Mean Streets
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Job Placement (The Dresden Files, #15.2)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Christmas Eve
  • Strange Brew
  • Urban Enemies
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.1)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
Shawn Speakman grew up in the beautiful wilds of Washington State near a volcano and surrounded by old-growth forests filled with magic. After moving to Seattle to attend the University of Washington, he befriended New York Times best-selling fantasy author Terry Brooks and became his webmaster, leading to an enchanted life surrounded by words.

He was a manager at one of the largest Barnes & Noble

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)

News & Interviews