Start by marking “Art and Artifice and Other Essays of Illusion” as Want to Read:
Art and Artifice and Other Essays of Illusion

Art and Artifice and Other Essays of Illusion

From the author of Hiding the Elephant and The Glorious Deception comes a collection of five essays that shows how the great stage illusions were integrally products of their time, based on the traditions and fashions of the people, and the offspring of the incredible, inventive personalities who brought them to the stage. Like no other author, Jim Steinmeyer gives us insi ...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published October 9th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Art and Artifice and Other Essays of Illusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art and Artifice and Other Essays of Illusion

Start your review of Art and Artifice and Other Essays of Illusion
Laura Lam
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellently written as I've come to expect from Jim Steinmeyer. However, a lot of the information in here was quite similar to Hiding the Elephant, which I read a few months ago.
Craig Williams
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a surprisingly fascinating read that goes into the history and engineering of some of the world's most famous stage magic. Even casual magic trick fans would probably enjoy this.

The first essay mostly focuses on an ambitious, but failed magic theater impressario, whose inability to successfully construct a state-of-the-art theater during Chicago's first ever World's Fair was a fatal blow to his career.

The second essay covers the "The Mascot Moth" trick, in which a magician makes a lady
Robin
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Kind of an odd little book, though I suppose I'm coming at it somewhat obliquely. I read The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction, which included Neil Gaiman's introduction to this book, and was sufficiently intrigues to hunt it down. I suspect the reader might benefit from a bit of prior knowledge about the working of stage magic because some of this went by a little quickly. Though, again, if I actually had interest in learning that stage magic I would have taken the time to carefull ...more
David Grimaud
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
ART & ARTIFICE is a collection of essays by Jim Steinmeyer, a designer/inventor of illusions and special effects for magicians of renown like Doug Henning, Lance Burton, and David Copperfield. Steinmeyer is created Copperfield’s famous "Vanishing the Statue of Liberty."

There are five essays in the collection, focusing on a handful of illusionists and theater moguls at the turn of the century. An avid amateur magician when I was young, I found this book to be interesting and worth the short time
Mark
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read. It's been a long time since I read "Houdini on Magic"... This made me want to read more about the history of illusionists. It's not every day that I think of Doug Henning, and I'm impressed!

Favorite quotes:

"Magicians guard an empty safe."

Made me aware of this one: "Who would save an ass against his will?" - Horace
Tucker
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A well-executed history of magic tricks and the people who think them up. You feel almost as if you're attending the show or getting to know the eccentric magician, the one who keeps shards of mirror under his pillow so he can play with them at night, thinking up new ways to make donkeys disappear.
Scott
Dec 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Kind of dull in it's writing, facsinating in its specificity. I especially liked the essay about the Saw. The others more or less put me to sleep.
Ryan Jones
Shelves: neil-gaiman
Excellent.
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction, sf
A nice mix of history of magic and craft. I have no idea why I've decided to read books about stage magic.
David

• Treasure Island
  • Kirby: King of Comics
  • Remembering Satan
  • The Force of Nonviolence: The Ethical in the Political
Jim Steinmeyer was born and raised just outside of Chicago, Illinois, and graduated in 1980 from Loyola University of Chicago, with a major in communications. He is literally the man behind the magicians having invented impossibilities for four Doug Henning television specials, six touring shows, two Henning Broadway shows, and numerous television and Las Vegas appearances.For one of David Copperf ...more

News & Interviews