Start by marking “This Year's Model” as Want to Read:
This Year's Model

This Year's Model

Supermodel Carol Alt takes us on a wild ride through the glamorous, cutthroat world of fashion and fame—in a biting, witty, and absolutely authentic novel that rocks the world of high-end modeling!

Tall, beautiful, practical Melody Ann Croft of Morristown, New Jersey, is busting her behind as a waitress and wishing there was an easier way to earn money for college. When a c
Published August 26th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about This Year's Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Year's Model

Marjanne
Nov 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Ok, the one thing this book has going for it is that it's a quick read. That's about it. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, but this story was just insipid! It was predictable. It did not resolve anything. There wasn't enough character development to really understand why the main character was motivated to stay in a career that she didn't really seem interested in or why she was friends with any of her 'friends'. There was just too much undeveloped. It really feels that the author (who is a former ...more
Brittany
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in modeling and enjoy 'slice-of-life' insider books
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself
How I Came To Read This Book: Bargain buy to throw in an Amazon order.

The Plot: Melody Anne Croft is just a lowly Jersey girl waitress when a photographer scouts her for a career in the exciting world of modeling. In the blink of the eye, Melody transforms into 'Mac', modeling 'it' girl. When not trying out for the latest photo campaign, spread, or runway show, Melody is busy trying to warm up to the cold, catty girls in the industry, and even moreso to the hunk of her boy model dreams, Duncan.
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
The prose was well written in the click-lit genre. In fact, that is what kept me reading.

However, the plot and character development left me cold. The character became more shallow as the book went on - more concerned with the superficial (weight, brand of handbag), and unwilling to put herself out to help a friend. Then it ended.
Suzie Quint
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book had very little story arc. Characters came and went, never to appear again. The first half to 2/3s of the book showed Alt's knowledge of the fashion industry, but that's not the point of fiction. This is not something I'd recommend.
Kacey
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This book had some good elements to it. The writing was easy to follow and it was never “cheesy.” I’ve found this to be an issue with some YA novels so I was glad for that. I also haven’t read much about modeling as a plot line, so that was a new experience. It was nice to have something different to come across in such a huge and clearly popular genre. My only issue with the story was the character of Jade. She was well written, added drama and humor, provided a lesson, and was a great “bad gir ...more
Lauren
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Mac is bound and determined to become the worlds newest model. Things take off quickly and she has to decide between school and posing. While the story line is entertaining and sadly real for models I wanted her to go to school and make better choices. This book has a few triggers for some... Self harm, drugs, random sex, booze and just general stupid choices.
Carey
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
In this fun new novel the reader gets to experience the outrageous world of professional modelling through the eyes of newly discovered model Melody Ann Croft.

Melody is just a normal kid from New Jersey, working as a waitress during her last summer before going away to college. Then one night a professional photographer happens to have dinner at the restaurant where she works. He thinks she has potential and gives her some contacts which turn out to be top modelling agencies in Manhattan.

After
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Angela S. for TeensReadToo.com

Melody Ann Croft is your average hometown girl - very practical, with her whole life planned out ahead of her.

That all changes one day when a customer at the restaurant where she is working tells her she could be a model and gives her his card, along with the numbers of all the top agencies in New York. Melody is a little curious, despite thinking this man is crazy, so she calls one agency and just with the mention of this man (who happens to be a famous
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Janice Dickinson claims to be the first Supermodel. Carol Alt however is the true title holder. She rose to fame swiftly in the 80's creating a new legion of models, Supermodels -or Supes as they call themselves.

Carol Alt has appeared on over 700 magazine covers. The woman is a legend! When she set out to write a fictional novel about the world of modeling, she certainly had done her homework. Her portrayal of the industry seems to be spot on. I read Carol Alt's biography and found a lot of para
Ariel
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is really an eye-opener to the modeling industry of today, where you can't just have a pretty face, you also need a good brain. Betrayal lurks around every corner, and you can't depend on anyone. I like how Melody doesn't get really discouraged, and no matter how much her friend Jade puts her down, she's always there for her. It's a lovely book. Some parts, though, just didn't stick with me, and sometimes I just wanted to kill the main character. But this book is still a pretty good bo ...more
Lexie Stoneking
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The beginning of the book was great and captivating. I loved following the life of an up and coming model. The book feel through for me in the end. I felt it ended quickly and was left unresolved. Some of the content made me feel slightly uneasy, but I suppose that goes along with the model aspect of the book. It is a decent mindless read.
Rachel
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I bought this book because I love watching America's Next Top Model, and wanted to read about an actual model's experience. Her story is very interesting, but believe me, by the end of I have no doubt that I can cross modeling off of my potential career list! Holy cow! Tough industry. Either way, still really enjoyed reading it.
Niladry Sabir
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I gave the book two stars, because..."it was okay". Really, no other phrase could describe it better.

There was a lack of plot, and there wasn't much build up, and right when the book ended was when I thought the plot was beginning to form.

My reaction: That's it?

She writes okay, and this book is something I'd read for passing time, but I probably would not be particularly enjoying it.
JaceAngel
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't really like the ending, it seemed to me that she became someone superficial, MAC is described as being pretty and all but I think somewhere along the way she lost pieces of herself. Jade, isn't her friend no matter what goes on between them, Jade never really is her friend and MAD does NOT acknowledge this.
R
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this not long after my most stressful semester of university, I picked it up looking for something kind of shallow and easy to breeze through and that's what I got. Don't read this if you're looking for complex character arcs or a plot that actually follows a three act structure, you'll only be disappointed.
Jessica Journey
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: miss-independent
Read this entirely on the beach in Cozumel. Great vacation book. I think what really stood out to me about this story was how Melody actually has morals and character. It was very refreshing, in a genre dominated by the catty self-centeredness of the girls in Clique and Gossip Girl books. It's nothing incredible, but I found it an interesting and entertaining read.
Katie R. Herring
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Juvenile writing, but the plot was interesting enough.

Read it in one breath because I wanted to know what would happen, not because I was enthralled by the plot, etc.

I did not like the ending. It just ended. Ugh hate that.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
fun and informative at the same time. didnt touch as much on the issues that a lot of other books about modeling do (drug use, sex, eating disorders, etc) but was still a real picture of life for a young model. i enjoyed it.
Emily
Mar 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Even though I rated this a 3, it was a cute book and quick read. There were too many unrelatable/unlikely situations, but the characters were interesting and gave an interesting insight into what its really like to be a model.
Ashlyn
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was kinda interesting.. It was pretty boring and lost me through the middle.. I hated the ending. The book was kinda pointless cause nothing really happened in the end.. Kin of confusing. Didn't like it.
Sabrina Conza
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much! I NEED to read the second one!!! You should definitely read it if you're into model books.
PinkyB
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
It's a blah story.
Allison Krumm
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Good pacing, but a terribly unsatisfying ending.
Kim
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Neat to read about the modeling world, but a very teeny-bopper book.
Kerri
Oct 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it brough the reader into the world of modeling, however I found the main characters were very hard to relate to.
Kimberly
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good, quick read. Interesting look at the modeling world from a former model. Uncomplicated plot makes for a good vacation read.
Krista
Nov 03, 2010 added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Ugh. Absolutely awful.
Elizabeth
Nov 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Now I know why this was in the $3.99 bin at Barnes and Noble...
Patti
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
I haven't read anything in a while and this is what I pick up? My local library is very small, so if I want to just grab something, my options are limited. So this was a lame book, enough said.
Lauren
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
I got this book for free at NY fashion week, go figure. It was a quick read and kept my attention...slightly childish
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Model Summer
  • Hollywood is Like High School With Money
  • Violet in Private (Violet, #3)
  • Confessions of a Rebel Debutante: A Cordial Invitation
  • The Doctor's Daughter
  • Fortune
  • Bro Code for Parents: What to Expect When You're Awesome
  • The Professors' Wives' Club
  • A Bump in the Road
  • Beauty, Disrupted: A Memoir
  • Girl Stays in the Picture (Girl, #1)
  • Skin (Hot Cops, #2)
  • David
  • Secrets of the Model Dorm
  • The Overnight Socialite
  • The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder
  • The Adultery Club
  • The Second Wives Club
Constantly in search of new frontiers, Carol Alt is the ultimate chameleon. Since her days as the world’s most renowned Supermodel, Carol Alt has gone on to be author, actress and entrepreneur. Having had enormous success in all her endeavors such as being a USA Today Best-Selling Author for her books on Raw food; a multi- award winning actress; the face of her own line of cosmetics; having a numb ...more
“Always stand up for what you believe in. Always defend yourself and your beliefs.” 2 likes