Start by marking “The Ring of Winter (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Winter (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #5)

The Ring of Winter

(Forgotten Realms: The Harpers #5)

From the cover:
For centuries, adventurers have sought the fabled Ring of Winter, rumored to possess the magical might to make the wearer immortal and bring a second Ice Age down upon the Realms. Artus Cimber knows where it is.

After discovering the ring is hidden in the jungles of Chult, he sets off to fulfill the quest that has devoured a decade of his life. Knowing that t
Mass Market Paperback, 312 pages
Published November 3rd 1992 by TSR Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring of Winter

Markus
A tale of Artus Cimber and his journey to the enigmatic continent of Chult to find the fabled Ring of Winter. This was a great research read for running the current most recent D&D campaign, and a good introduction to the next, which is set to take place in Chult.

Overall, this book was not bad at all. It was short and quite enjoyable for a cliché-ridden shared-world fantasy novel.
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
A well-done 1930's adventure serial style romp. A deadly island! Lost cities! Dinosaurs! Cannabalistic goblins! Magical servants! The protagonist, Artus Cimber, is a flawed, obsessed, good-hearted, and lucky adventurer, pursuing rumors of a legendary magical item which he has sought for years. His quest takes him to the island of Chult, where his coming sets off nation-rattling events. He is an enjoyable character, as is his prime nemesis. Even the wombat twins fail to be excessively annoying, d ...more
Steve
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked up this book mainly to get some background for the new D&D adventure: Tomb of Annihilation. It is most definitely a mixed bag for several reasons:

1. I suspect, but can't be sure that the author may have been directed to stick to a 300 page limit. The book is very choppily edited and actually NEEDS more exposition and backstory for the lead protagonist... not to mention the supporting characters.

2. I don't usually say this about fantasy, but this novel would have benefited from more
Matt
A brief summary followed by a book review. A starred rating has been purposefully avoided.

***WARNING: SKIP TO THE REVIEW TO AVOID MINIMAL SPOILERS****

***SUMMARY******
Artus Cimber and his adventuring companion, the old mage Sir Hydel Pontifax, travel to the jungles of Chult looking for the fabled Ring of Winter, a magical artifact that bestows its wearer with immortality, the ability to wield snow and ice, and the power to bring forth an Second Ice Age. Legend has it that the ring is a power of u
Demi
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I am at a point in my Dungeon Master career in which I have research to do that only exists in the novels. Saturday morning adventure, wildly out of order in a series—it’s like I’m 13 again.

This was good, and more importantly, it gave me ideas.
Jesse
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
This is the first, and one of the only, forgotten realms books set in the Jungles of Chult. That was a huge draw for me, since I'm always trying to discover new things about this world.
There were all kinds of little things that I liked about this story; a dragon turtle that charges for safe passage, a four armed magical servant, and the bera of Mezzro. I also liked being introduced to the god Ubtao...I will say that I did not expect him to be like he was portrayed in this book.
There were sever
Rick Underwood
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wasn't a fan of this book. I generally find books based on games not that great and this was no exception. The hero is not really a hero, he's arrogant (expects people just to give up the thing he's looking for simply because he's been looking for it for a long time), he's useless in most situations and gets through scenes because of the help he gets, and he's overly emotional. He's kind of like Bella from Twilight - people like him or fall in love with him for no particular reason. Not only t ...more
Haffi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm preparing to be a GM for Tomb of Annihilation and I loved get my hands on a story that happens on Chult. It's also great to get some backstory on Artus Cimber.

Although the story was somewhat predictable and cheesy I really enjoyed immersing myself in the lore. The story made me decide to introduce Amarak to my players and I might even give them a magically enchanted book with 'infinite' pages as in the story.

I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I would not have been using it as pr
Joel
It took a while for this particular tale of the realms to grab me, and I'm not sure if that was the story itself of the narrator, but once it got moving and the action moved into the mysterious jungles of Chult I found the whole thing really engaging and a lot more fun than I expected.

A great one for D&D or fantasy geeks who love rangers, dinosaurs, pirates, villains with hands made of actual black stone for no discernible reason other than the name "Ebonhand" sounds cool (not kidding), gobl
Eric Watson
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Primarily read because of any possible ties to our ongoing Tomb of Annihilation campaign. It's a short, easy read with paper-thin characters, but it's a decent little swashbuckling adventure in the jungles of Chult. Too many goblins and not enough of everything else, however, as Artus Cimber hunts the Ring of Winter, befriends goofy talking wombats, battles dinosaurs, and meets the immortal defenders of Mezro. The brief but intriguing Ras Nsi cameo and the climax featuring the unleashed Ring of ...more
Daniel Willis
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Another book in the Forgotten Realms Harpers series, in its favor it does not read like the traditional fantasy genre novel. The author's notes mentioned he borrowed from his childhood memories of pulp fiction and action serials, and one could easily imagine this with Indiana Jones as the lead character, with magic and sword instead of gun and whip. However, ending was very abrupt and unsatisfying. Took away from what was otherwise a decent book.
Bill
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read

If you like fantasy reading, you should like this book. A little more 'pulpy' than typical Forgotten Realms fare, the jungle setting gives this book a unique feel among the FR books. The story is well written and the plot laid out well with good pacing and a story that takes a different perspective on the culmination battle.
Daniel
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to some lore of the Forgotten Realms, especially for those running D&D games. I didn't find the characters to be overly deep or dyanmic but a fun story overall.
Peter Greenwell
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: forgotten-realms
A fun and easy read, but utterly devoid of any kind of character building or tension. This is certainly one of the more popcorn Forgotten Realms outings.
Graham Houle
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a good book and also one in a series....but it can certainly be read as a stand alone novel. Entertaining and new characters were what highlighted this book and although not very many major characters I would recommend it to a Forgotten Realms fan. The Harpers were minor figures in the book, and that was a drawing point for me since I am not really that impressed with "the Harper" series or characters.
Doug Kallies
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun book. I especially liked the info on the Land of Chult and the description of the Tabaxi culture. Artus Cimber made for a good hero and the descriptions of the religion of Ubtao were excellent. A good addition to the Harpers series.
Jeff
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I could NOT get into this book. I have read other books by this author before and I had no problem. I think the issue was this story seemed to be to be more designed for an epic trilogy rather than crammed into a single volume. The story seemed jumbled and rushed. I just didn't enjoy this at all.
Jessethornton
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I still remember a quote from this book 20 years later. The Harpers was the first novel series I ever read, so my ratings are based solely on nostalgia.
Rhonda
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Somewhere in the middle, I got bored with the storyline. I finished the book but it was slow going.
David
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the most fun Realms books and easily in the top 5 of the Harpers series.
William Burks
Keredain
Apr 08, 2010
Brian Callahan
Apr 18, 2015

• Curse of the Shadowmage (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #11)
  • Soldiers of Ice (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #7)
  • The Night Parade (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #4)
  • Red Magic (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #3)
  • The Veiled Dragon (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #12)
  • Masquerades (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #10)
  • Stormlight (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #14)
  • Thornhold (The Harpers, #16; Songs & Swords, #4)
  • Feathered Dragon (Forgotten Realms: Maztica, #3)
  • Pool of Twilight (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #3)
aka Richard Awlinson, J D Lowder

James Lowder has worked extensively in fantasy and horror fiction on both sides of the editorial blotter. He's authored several best-selling dark fantasy novels, including Prince of Lies and Knight of the Black Rose, and has had short fiction appear in such anthologies as Shadows Over Baker Street and Genius Loci. He's penned comic book scripts for several companies

Forgotten Realms: The Harpers (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Parched Sea (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #1)
  • Elfshadow (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #2; Songs & Swords, #1)
  • Red Magic (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #3)
  • The Night Parade (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #4)
  • Crypt of the Shadowking (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #6)
  • Soldiers of Ice (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #7)
  • Elfsong (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #8; Songs & Swords, #2)
  • Crown of Fire (Shandril's Saga, #2)
  • Masquerades (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #10)
  • Curse of the Shadowmage (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #11)