Start by marking “Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural” as Want to Read:
Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural

Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural

Tales include The Doll, Running Wolf, The Little Beggar, The Occupant of the Room, The Man Whom the Trees Loved, The Valley of the Beasts, The South Wind, The Man Who Was Milligan, The Trod, The Terror of the Twins, The Deferred Appointment, Accessory Before the Fact, The Glamour of the Snow, The House of the Past, The Decoy, The Tradition, The Touch of Pan, Entrance and E ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural

Start your review of Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural
Shawn
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Algernon Blackwood is one of the best writers of weird fiction around, and if you've read "The Willows", you know that's true. This may be one of the best single collections of Blackwood's writings that I've run across, short of an actual "Complete Works", which I don't believe anyone has attempted yet (as stories keep being discovered) - and it doesn't have "The Willows" in it! Which is to say, some writers get typecast by their best stories and all it takes is digging below the surface a littl ...more
Arisawe Hampton
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensitive readers be warned—Blackwood does use prevalent language considered racist in our modern era. If one can overlook or suspend judgement about it he is an otherwise fine writer in the weird fiction genre.

Algernon Blackwood was a master of the subtle "ghost" story. Unlike so many of the horror authors today, he knew that the key to true terror was a slow build-up and a subdued menace. These are some of the finest examples of his craft.

Tales include: The Doll, Running Wolf, The Little Begg
Murray Ewing
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghostly
Some of the stories were excellent ("The Glamour of the Snow", "The Touch of Pan", "The Pikestaffe Case", to name a few), some just pretty good supernatural stories, a few were awful (unfortunately, the long opener, "The Doll" was really bad). But well worth a read. The only trouble was that this edition (from The House of Stratus) was rife with typos (or whatever the word for scanning-and-spellcheck errors is): hyphens instead of long dashes, "Her" instead of "for", "ox" instead of "or", and ma ...more
Kevin Lucia
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, as always. A wide, diverse collection that every fledgling speculative fiction writer should sample.
Jonathan Stroud
Blackwood had a particular genius for summoning up the psychic atmosphere of eerie places. JS
Martin Shone
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many stories here but ones which stand out for me are: "The Man Whom the Trees Loved", "The Glamour of the Snow", "The Touch of Pan", "The Lost Valley" and "The Terror of the Twins".
Russ
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Doll" is one of the most genuinely creepy stories I've ever read...
Jason
A collection of tales by Algernon Blackwood, an early fantasy/weird fiction author I cannot believe isn't better known after reading this book. Several of the tales in this book are excellent, not just because they have fantastical, sometimes scary twists and turns, but his reflections on the human condition are thoughtful and relevant to modern life, which is interesting considering this book was first published in 1950. "The Man the Trees Loved" is the crown jewel of the book, a beautifully wr ...more
Kara
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-this-year
A wonderful collection of stories by an author who deserves more recognition than he is given. Spooky, eerie, and thought provoking, this is a book for anyone looking for something more substantial than 'ghost stories.'
Bibliophile
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
An uneven collection of ghost stories. Some are bland or dated, others original and evocative. Works well in small doses on gloomy autumn nights.
Tori
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, own
My favorite story is definately The Valley of the Beasts.
Kirk Smith
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A nice collection of creepy short stories. A British author, I place the feel of the book somewhere between Poe and The Twilight Zone. Good fun. I think his stories were in some of the "pulps".
Frankie Stein
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, by one of the best authors of supernatural, imitated by many others.

I wanted to read this collection for sometime and have had it in my bookcase for years, you know one of those I got to sit down and read that. So glad that I did. One of the stories "The doll" is a wonderful read and one of my favorites in the collection. Delightfully strange and compelling. The stories are longer than short stories more like novellas.

Backwood's style is genuinely disturbing and needs no intro
Brian
I just got a hand of the 1969 edition and in pristine condition! That's almost 50 years of excellent condition.

So far I haven't read all the entries but I picked "Touch of Pan" and it was indeed very interesting. Looking forward in finishing the entire book in a short while.
Rick Powell
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting and mesmerizing. Blackwood always delivers. The ones that stick out the most here are The Doll (of course), The Man Whom the Trees Loved, The Glamour of the Snow, and the most hypnotic The Lost Valley. Flawless, creepy writing. Easy to see why he is one of the masters of the weird tale.
Anne Earney
4.5 stars. Some of the language is racist and off-putting, but the stories are fascinating and creepy. I especially enjoyed the ones dealing with the slippery boundaries between the natural world and humans.
TrumanCoyote
Not nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. Algie tends toward prolixity, and the frequent repetitiousness definitely dilutes the effect (all of which reminds me a bit of Frasier's great line: "So you're saying that I repeat myself--that I commit tautologies--that I say the same thing over and over again!"). "The Little Beggar" is about the best thing here (and only a few pages, all quite well-controlled). On the other hand, that thing about the trees proved to be an unending droning poi ...more
Margo Penhall
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear old Algie! They don't write like you any more. I picked this up as a curio many years ago and started reading in Winter and finished on Halloween. Now I'm totally hooked. Quirky, ranging from sweet (Running Wolf) to scary (The Doll) with a good respect for pantheism, magic and mysticism. These stories are about what Algernon Blackwood himself called "the terror of the mind", what Stephen King later called psychological or psychic terror. No common schlock-horror here. Not a dismembered zomb ...more
Aric Cushing
Algernon rarely disappoints. This is a good mix of his stories, with some extremely well done, and others simple in their execution. For the audience of today, some of the simple stories may seem like short tv episodes they've seen before, but the excellent stories make up for the lot.
Michael
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories are not an "easy read",written in the early 1900s the language doesn't come easy on modern ears and eyes. These stories are wildly imaginative and as such, should be recommended as required reading for any fan of horror or fantasy.
Noah Rozov
CrazyLady
rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Land Leviathan: A New Scientific Romance (Oswald Bastable, #2)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat, #8)
  • The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (Burton & Swinburne, #2)
  • Utopia Avenue
  • The Burning House
  • The Adventures of Una Persson & Catherine Cornelius in the 20th Century
  • Lord Valentine's Castle (Lord Valentine, #1)
  • Majipoor Chronicles (Lord Valentine, #2)
  • Slaine: The Horned God (2000 Ad)
  • Valentine Pontifex (Lord Valentine, #3)
  • Roaring Boys
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • Polyphemus
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • Les enfants du sabbat
Blackwood was born in Shooter's Hill (today part of south-east London, but then part of northwest Kent) and educated at Wellington College. His father was a Post Office administrator who, according to Peter Penzoldt, "though not devoid of genuine good-heartedness, had appallingly narrow religious ideas." Blackwood had a varied career, farming in Canada, operating a hotel, as a newspaper reporter i ...more