Start by marking “Elric of Melniboné ” as Want to Read:
Elric of Melniboné

Elric of Melniboné (Tale of the Eternal Champion #8)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  581 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Elric of Melnibone, the haunted, treacherous and doomed albino sorcerer-prince, is one of the great creations of modern fantasy. An introspective weakling in thrall to his soul-eating sword, Stormbringer, he is yet a hero whose bloody adventures and wanderings lead inexorably to his decisive intervention in the war between the forces of Law and Chaos.

A fantasy classic, Elr
Published April 3rd 2008 by Gollancz (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Elric of Melniboné, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elric of Melniboné

Olivier Delaye
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An ol'Fantasy reliable I go back to time and time again. They don't write them like that anymore. More's the pity. Elric, you ARE the one and only Eternal Champion!
Robert Beveridge
Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melnibonë (DAW, 1972)

Perhaps more than any fantasy series since The Lord of the Rings, the six "classic" Elric novels stand as the definitive fantasy novels. Not long after their original American publication in the authorized editions (with stunning Michael Whelan cover art), the TSR folks included a section on Elric in the original AD&D book Deities and Demigods, removed in subsequent printings for legal reasons. Then the gothic metal band Cirith Ungol used some
TheFountainPenDiva
I was first introduced to the brooding sorcerer-emperor of Melnibone in high school(a long, long time ago in a suburbia not far away enough), and instantly related to his sense of not belonging, of always questioning the whys and wherefores of life. Elric is one of fantasy's most intriguing characters, and has sparked some rather heated debates as to whether or not he can be defined as a "hero" in the classic sense. The Elric Saga is classic sword and sorcery fantasy at its best.

And, I loved Ro
Brendan Detzner
Your results may vary with this one, especially if you're a bigger fantasy person then I am and especially especially if you're interested in the history of fantasy. The character Elric was and is a really interesting twist on the genre, and it's nice to have a protagonist whose next move you genuinely cannot anticipate. I'm not in love with all the swordfighting/spellcasting/worldbuilding but if it's your bag then this is the good stuff.

SPOILER

The ending might have cost the book a star all by i
Nonethousand Oberrhein
The albino emperor
Read the heroic struggle of the only Melnibonean sovereign equipped with something that resembles a conscience! Through fantastic encounters, epic quests and evocative places, the author depicts one of the most original character in the Sword and Sorcery genre: receiving flaws (physical and/or psychological) where “normal heroes” have qualities, Elric struggle singles him out and immediately it makes him relatable to anyone. No Fantasy reader will be able to resist the fascinat
Debbie
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really excited me when I started to read it. The first book in this collection was exactly what I like from a fantasy novel - good characters, good locations, good story-telling, mystery, intrigue. Unfortunately reading the book as a collection of stories, it all just seemed to lose its way. It felt very disjointed and lacked any sense of continuity.

Elric is a very interesting character, but as he's meant to be protrayed as an evil protagonist, it never really came across that way. Whe
R.M.F Brown
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the greatest thing that can be said about Moorcock is he's one of those writers that makes the reader want to become a writer themselves, so good is his story. The early works of Stephen King have a similar effect. In this tale of the eternal champion series (with its striking white cover that looks good on the shelf) Moorcock presents, vividness, imagination, and one of fantasy's great heroes - a tragic, romantic, destiny driven figure, the equal to anything from Norse mythology or the ...more
Timothy Rowe
Time has not been kind to these stories. In the late 60s and early 70s, Moorcock's writing changed the whole face of fantasy writing, but, as is often the case with seminal works, others (including Moorcock himself) came along and did it better. The smash-the-keyboard names ("K'aarna", "Haaashaastaak", "D'a'rputna"), the repetitious telling of how moody Elric is, the flowery writing that is trying too hard, nowadays reads in places like a transcript of a teenager's Dungeons and Dragons session. ...more
Tim Pendry
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adolescents
Yes - well - if you like sword and sorcery fantasy, then this is one of the great texts after Conan and the Old Testament of Tolkien. If you only skim the genre, then this quasi-fascistic fantasy (aren't so many of them wonderfully politically incorrect) of magic, blood and swords with names and bloodlines is probably the one to read. My patience is only for about one of these types of book every two or three years but I could actually see myself re-reading this in place of a more modern example ...more
Claus
Enjoyable reading. An omnibus following the adventures of the powerful albino sorcerer Elric. A book of dragons, ritual sorcery, questing philosophy, romance, tragedy, friendship, gods, elementals and the futility of existence and our lack of control over our own destiny. The books contained in the omnibus are: Elric of Melnibone, The Fortress of the Pearl, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Dreaming City, While The Gods Laugh and The Singing Citadel.
Chiara
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable adventure, with a strong flavour of a role-game in it. That I didn't particularly appreciate, and the gods who let themselves be summoned and who aid the humans. But I surely liked the ship that sails through sea and land, the trick of the Memory Mirror and of course the black swords with a will of their own!

Padre
Dec 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Really wanted to give it 4 stars, but it's very inconsistent quality-wise. Some pieces are extraordinary, while other parts are a mess. The sword & sorcery is usually imaginative and even breathtaking. The parts, where Moorcock describes Elric's doubts are mostly an embarrassing yawn-fest. Three stars then - I liked it, it was close to being great, but missed the mark by a bit.
Sarah Garner
Feb 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I really couldn't get in to this book, I only read the first book in the collection. I just found it really hard to get into as I really struggled to feel anything but annoyed with the Elryic. Just sucked big time.
Νίκος Μπέστας
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic
The book offers this collection of the Champion Eternal saga, till the conclusion of it.
I will not say much, I will just say, that this book, has filled me with a variety of emotions.
Elric is the only one who could carry out such a fate, and what a fate was that!
Donna
I loved it! Actually, what's not to love? Blood and gore, a soul-eating sword, a morose albino emperor, 1/2 demon 1/2 human. Oh, and don't forget, mercenary sidekicks galore, lovely women, many a quest and a memorable ending.

Yeah, Elric!

Simon Yoong
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book. I simply loved it. Harkens back to the days fantasy was simple, straight-forward, and spellbinding.
Paraskevi Oppio
I love the tale of the albino sorcerer. I love Elric, I think he is the best of Moorcock's Eternal Champions.
Matt Ryan
I'm moving this off my "to read" list. I read it when I was young, sort of remember it, and would like to reread it once time allows.
John Montagne
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sword-sorcery
Actually fleshed Elric out more... which I would have thought impossible at this point. A great add to the classic saga.
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Good fantasy, but not as mindblowingly awesome as my mother insisted it was. Very, very easy to read.
Thomas
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
these stories are sort of like the reading equivalent of prog rock album covers
Mano (Leslie)
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awww yeah, donchoo mess with the albino and his sword stormbringer! because it will end in D00M!
Stuart
Samfish9999
Mar 27, 2015
Gregory
Apr 15, 2013
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 1: The People of the Black Circle (The Conan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • Dragon Soul (Havemercy #3)
  • Stormbringer (Michael Moorcock's Elric, #2)
  • The Door to Saturn
  • The Chosen
  • Dangerous Offspring (Fourlands, #3)
  • Quid Pro Quo (The Administration, #2)
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf
  • The Blood Books, Volume I (Omnibus: Blood Price / Blood Trail)
  • Brak the Barbarian (Brak the Barbarian, #1)
  • Der Atem. Eine Entscheidung
  • Flashing Swords! #4: Barbarians and Black Magicians
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Fantasy
  • Wolves (Raised By Wolves, #4)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Tale of the Eternal Champion (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Von Bek (Eternal Champion, #2)
  • The Eternal Champion (Eternal Champion, #1)
  • The History of the Runestaff
  • Corum (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #4)
  • Sailing to Utopia (Eternal Champion, #8)
  • A Nomad of the Time Streams (Eternal Champion, #4)
  • The Dancers at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #1-3)
  • The New Nature of the Catastrophe (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #9)
  • The Prince with the Silver Hand (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #10)
  • Legends from the End of Time (Eternal Champion, #13)