Start by marking “Rising Tide (The Threat from the Sea #1)” as Want to Read:
Rising Tide (The Threat from the Sea #1)

Rising Tide

(The Threat from the Sea #1)

In the first book of a sweeping new "Forgotten Realms" series, an evil warlord from the depths of the Trackless Sea rallies the undersea races of Toril in a surprise attack on the Sword Coast. This novel shares a setting with the "Sea of Fallen Stars" adventure boxed set.
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Rising Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising Tide

Audrey
Stuart Schneider
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very surprisingly good book. You have to grind your way through the first 75 pages and then it gets good. I originally bought this series on the fact that Odom was the writer of the series, but because of the sea theme plus the fact that the Realms short stories were lousy, this series sat on my shelf forever. However, because I needed a very short break in the Dresden novels, this looked like a quick snack and so far, surprisingly well written. Looking forward to the next two.
Kurt Vosper
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, I honestly didn't know what to expect out of this series. I had thought about reading it for quite a few years, being a Forgotten Realms fan and just never got around to it.

So I powered through this book over the weekend and I find that Mel Odom is a pretty decent writer. He has made some interesting characters and a plot that I am interested in seeing played out.

On to book 2.
Jonathan Lovelace
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved this series as a kid; I was a stupid kid. Now, re-reading it brought a lot of laughs unintended by the author.

The main character is pretentiously pure-hearted. We're introduced to him with a beautiful, powerful older woman offering him money for sex, but he believes in Love. Then he's randomly victimized. As a kid, that was totally my jam, but now I'm like, "Dude, hit that."

I haven't read a book where an innocent young man is approached by so many sexually aggressive women since the last
Scott Schmidt
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I cut my teeth on Forgotten Realms books back in high school and credit those books for turning me into a fervent reader. While I have good memories of many of those books, I've moved on from the shared world-style books. I took a chance on this one now because I found it cheap and Mel Odom is an author whose work on Forgotten Realms and Shadowrun I've always enjoyed. I was hoping to be surprised by this one, but at the end of day, I'm just too old for these books. My younger self would've liked ...more
christopher larue
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished reading. Its a good story. I like the descriptions of the sea creatures. Looked in my monster manual a few times to get a good idea about them. Now on book 2 and its still keeping me interested.
Jeff Jellets
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it

Mer-monsters versus men in world of Dungeons & Dragons!

I’m enjoying a bit of a Dungeons & Dragons renaissance of late, scoffing up the fantasy game’s old books and rulebooks wherever I can find them -- either digitally or at second-hand bookstores. I recently found all three of Mel Odom’s The Threat From The Sea trilogy at a 2nd & Charles bookstore (love that place!) and dug into book one of the series, The Rising Tide, which offers a credible beginning to the war between the surface
Kevin
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
What can I say? This is pretty basic fantasy based on sea creatures (for the most part). This story jumps right into it without much in the way of background or history of the world it is set in and that is okay. It is written so that you really don't need to know anything about the Forgotten Realms in order to enjoy this although I get a sense there is quite of bit of connection to other series. I never felt like I was missing anything important and was able to just flow along with the story. T ...more
David Bill
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
I really enjoyed this one, it felt new and not at all like any other Forgotten Realms novels I've read to date. I enjoyed the sea setting and both the above and below water characters are developed enough to keep you invested in them and discovering their fate. The main characters are interesting enough , but our "hero" is a bit much sometimes. I'm hoping his character will grow more interesting in the next book.

I can say it's an easy read that keeps you turning the pages without effort. The st
Tobias Cooper
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, this is a curious book. It's quite an interesting story, although the characterization is a bit thin, there are some nice descriptive passages.
My major criticism of this book is that not enough happens, there is enough incident in the book for the 'part 1' of a traditional fantasy doorstop however it's rather unsatisfying when this is spread over a whole book.
I'll give book two a go eventually but I'm not going to rush.
Zuany
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I could have given it 4 stars but I couldn't shake the feeling that the first book was incomplete. I felt like I was reading a really long prologue.

I understand there's a second book but I would have liked something more in this.

On the positive side, it has a great plot and I like this form of narration. Every chapter makes you want to read the next one to see what happens.
dVicko
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read it long ago and looking back on it, it really wasn't a good reading... even compared to the other Forgotten Realms books.
Ken
Jan 15, 2011 marked it as sold
Sold to Lewis White on eBay on 7-Jun-11:

Mandrake
Jun 15, 2007 is currently reading it
Hard to put down this book.
Mark Rayfield
Robert
Jul 01, 2013
Jason
Mar 06, 2015
  • Star of Cursrah (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #3)
  • Scream of Stone (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #3)
  • The Nether Scroll (Lost Empires #4)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #5)
  • The Sapphire Crescent (Forgotten Realms: The Scions of Arrabar, #1)
  • Temple Hill (The Cities, #2)
  • Lord of Stormweather (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #7)
  • Faces Of Deception (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #2)
  • The Council of Blades (Forgotten Realms: The Nobles, #5)
  • Realms of the Arcane (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #5)
  • Murder in Cormyr (Forgotten Realms: Mysteries, #1)
  • The City of Ravens (The Cities, #1)
  • The Crimson Gold (Forgotten Realms: The Rogues, #3)
  • Stardeep (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #3)
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
  • Bloodwalk (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #2)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)

aka Jordan Gray

Mel Odom is a bestselling writer for hire for Wizards of the Coast's Forgotten Realms, Gold Eagle's Mack Bolan, and Pocket's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel book lines. His debut SF novel Lethal Interface made the Locus recommended list . The Rover was an Alyx Award winner. He has also written

The Threat from the Sea (4 books)
  • Under Fallen Stars (Forgotten Realms: The Threat from the Sea, #2)
  • The Sea Devil's Eye (Forgotten Realms: The Threat from the Sea, #3)
  • The Threat from the Sea