Start by marking “Somewhere a Long and Happy Life Probably Awaits You” as Want to Read:
Somewhere a Long and Happy Life Probably Awaits You

Somewhere a Long and Happy Life Probably Awaits You

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Somewhere a Long and Happy Life Probably Awaits You explores the peculiar places we look for validation, for purpose, for a life we might recognize as wholly our own. The off-kilter heroes and heroines in Jill Sexsmith's debut collection of short stories find themselves camping under elm trees set to be felled; seeking refuge in a spare bedroom carved out of an abandoned o ...more
Published May 1st 2016 by Arbeiter Ring

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere a Long and Happy Life Probably Awaits You

Norman Feliks Jezioranski
You can read my review on the Broken Pencil website. http://www.brokenpencil.com/news/book...
Wendy
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
Shelves: short-stories
In "Somewhere a Long and Happy Life Probably Awaits You" which I won through Goodreads Giveaways Jill Sexsmith explores a gambit of emotions in a treasure trove of short stories that look at relationships and purpose in life. In "The Problem with Babies" a woman who's always thought baby's gassy and repugnant suddenly discovers a need for motherhood. In a humorous, lighthearted but moving tale she chucks her pills down the toilet and begins practicing mothering with a sack of flour only to reali ...more
Luisa
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
eclectic collection of short stories. I won a free copy but this is an honest review. Nice collection, of short stories some are very good and one or two that are ok hence the rating of 4 stars. I generally tend to like straight forward stories that aren't overly layered, and generally not a huge fan of stream of consciousness writing but the author does a good job in some of her stories. Highly recommend this to lovers of short Canadian fiction.
Kerry Clare
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd never heard of this book until I saw it on the bookstore shelf and fell in love with the cover, and so I bought it, and I am so glad I did. Wonderful, strange and funny stories about the survival gear we invent to carry in this absurd and tragic world.
Rachel Halleck
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway.

I really enjoyed the short stories in this book. The author deftly melded realism and metaphor to paint beautiful portraits of the nooks and crannies of humanity.
Tessa Vanderhart
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Emotionally devastating. In a good way.
Michelle Clement
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is so delightful and strange, I loved it! It's realistic, with surreal elements and dream-like happenings - all so wonderfully described so tangibly I could see it. A gorgeous collection.
Wendy Jensen
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An interesting compilation of stories. Very imaginative some a little weird!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Liam Siemens
Eli
Urszula
Roxanne
Jun 19, 2016
Jill Sexsmith won the 2014 Writers’ Union of Canada short prose award. Her work has appeared in anthologies and magazines such as The Walrus, The Fiddlehead and PRISM International. Jill has an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of British Columbia. Somewhere a Long and Happy Life Probably Awaits You is her first story collection.
More about Jill Sexsmith...