Start by marking “Bringing Reggio Emilia Home: An Innovative Approach to Early Childhood Education” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Integrating the experiences of one American teacher on a year-long internship in the preschools of Reggio, with a four-year adaptation effort in one American school, this text includes many mini-stories of journeys of learning.
Published September 19th 1997 by Teachers College Press

Jun 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
My negative review stems from wanting this book to be something it's not: a practical guide to bringing Reggio Emilia into the home or, at the least, a practical explanation of Reggio Emilia principles. Instead, it is a set of stories about experiences implementing these principles, set out in very flowery language. There might be some great activities and ideas hiding in this book, but I couldn't get past its style to find them.
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book to prepare for a potential job and to get ready for the interview. The author gives an account of her experience as an intern observing a preschool in Reggio Emilia, Italy, and also her experience of trying to recreate the same learning environment in the United States at the College School in St. Louis. This style of teaching young children seems very fun and true to the nature of children. They are curious, notice the world around them with their senses fully engaged; this tea ...more
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A case-study description of the Reggio Emilia educational style. The author explores what defines the Reggio Emilia method through specific experiences during her internship in the Italian city of Reggio and then the process of applying what she learned of the Reggio Emilia style at an American preschool. I love the emphasis on children being creative, independent-thinkers and it reaffirms my husband's and my decision to start our daughter at a Reggio Emilia based preschool this fall.
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
This is a first person account of how Reggio Emilio was observed in Italy by the author and her challenges of bringing it to the United States. I enjoy the familiar tone of the book and all the examples she gives. My only problem with the book is it focuses primarily on preschool children and my interest is in a wide range of ages, but that is just a personal preference and there is many gems in this book.
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my introduction to Reggio Emilia progressive education philosophy. The parents are the child's 1st teacher, then the child herself is 2nd and third is Nature. Nature vs nurture? Both are key, as is the self-directed child.
Alison Condliffe
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom-books
Honest, easy to read account of an American teachers experience at Reggio Emilia and then adopting the philosophy to American schools. Would have liked more practical day to day examples but a good introduction to the philosophy and projects.
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: most-loved-books
It was tempting to give this one a five, because it gave me so many wonderful ideas. I love the Reggio Emilia approach, and anyone who wants to learn more about it should give this one a read.
Apr 04, 2012 added it
Learning about the Reggio Emilia approach to teach preschool age children.
Marlajan Katz
Nov 16, 2015
Jan 06, 2010
Jan 22, 2013
Apr 12, 2017 added it
I first read this book when my mother had gone back to school for her degree in early childhood education. For someone young who wasn't going to go into that field herself this book is a perfect "holiday" into that world. It isn't a practical guide or anything like that. It's far more informal, but there are still grains of thought to pick out. And it's certainly a book I want to come back to and read again someday.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Hundred Languages of Children: The Reggio Emilia Approach Advanced Reflections
  • Designs for Living and Learning: Transforming Early Childhood Environments
  • Working in the Reggio Way: A Beginner's Guide for American Teachers
  • The Girl with the Brown Crayon
  • Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • The King of Children: The Life and Death of Janusz Korczak
  • Rip the Page!: Adventures in Creative Writing
  • Their Name Is Today: Reclaiming Childhood in a Hostile World
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Into the Minds of Babes: How Screen Time Affects Children From Birth to Age Five
  • The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
  • Your Self-Confident Baby: How to Encourage Your Child's Natural Abilities -- From the Very Start
  • The Book of Learning and Forgetting
  • The Philosophical Baby: What Children's Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and the Meaning of Life
  • A Country Called Childhood: Children and the Exuberant World
  • Place-Based Education: Connecting Classrooms & Communities (Nature Literacy)
  • Tools of the Mind: The Vygotskian Approach to Early Childhood Education
“In the Reggio Emilia preschools, however, each child is viewed as infinitely capable, creative, and intelligent. The job of the teacher is to support these qualities and to challenge children in appropriate ways so that they develop fully.” 8 likes